World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Untended [D'ren, Talian]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
It had been several days since the confrontation Nejerc had with the master healer Talian and it had taken him those few days of self arguing to finally come to the conclusion that he should approach Ronarth. The dragon was a soft soul generally and even if he didn't have any answers to questions that buzzed constantly in Nejerc's head he couldn't just leave the dragon be. In the one meeting he'd had with the large bronze he'd come to care for him.

Still he took care when he approached the large bronze making sure the bronze was aware of his approach and his intent to reach him. “Ronarth.” He greeted gently not wanting to disturb the bronze as he drew closer. He didn't come to a stop until he reached Ronarth knowing that if the dragon wanted he could crush him in an instant with his large body.

Despite this Nejerc couldn't find it in him to be afraid of Ronarth, he knew this dragon. If the dragon needed to lash out at anyone who approached then it was time Nejerc found out. His gaze slid over the dragon taking his large body in with a sweet of his eyes. His eye's flared in surprise before sudden anger lit them as he stepped closer to Ronarth the thought that Ronarth would harm him flying from his mind as anger surged to the fore.

NO ONE had tended the large bronze! It was blatently clear and obvious and Nejerc found himself seething. 'Damn you S'kef!' S'kef had clearly not thought to insure anyone cared for the bronze. If the rider was not so sick no doubt he would be in a panic like Ronarth had been himself. If Ronarth died from this wound.. 'Shards and shells!' The dragons wound could become infected! Or something, again Nejerc was regretting that he had no healing knowledge as he stared at the untended wound that Ronarth had dealt himself in his rampage of fear and anger for his rider.

“No one has tended to you Ronarth?” He asked the dragon turning to look more into the dragon's large eye as he waited for the dragon to answer.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
Ronarth was inconsolable. D'ren was heavily drugged most of the time, leaving his own stupor to bleed over to his dragon. While sedated, the dragon remained quiet. When D'ren was awake, however, the man's pain and confusion made Ronarth angry. The dragon's raging cries were sometimes heard booming through the Weyr, until inevitably the rider was sedated once more so the dragon would rest. It was better for both of them, but the sigh of Ronarth curled miserably against the building and whimpering as he did was difficult for many to handle.

His eyes flashed yellow as he caught sight of someone approaching him. He whimpered, body quivering for a moment. He didn't remember his specific interaction with Nejerc, but he did know they'd met before and that he liked the human. He keeps sleeping! the dragon whined, caring nothing for himself and only for his bonded.

Ronarth's condition was not critical, but he'd clearly been neglected. His hide was torn along his shoulder and the back of his neck, and he'd scraped much of his snout as well. Silvery flesh quivered painfully where the bronze hide was stripped away. He'd bled, leaving cruty residue around the wounds, but they'd mostly closed by now.  He shifted his position delicately, careful not to move his shoulder and reopen the wounds. Even at a distance, one could see that infection was setting in.

It's so horrible! He hurts so badly. I don't understand why they don't make it stop! he whimpered, slowly lowering his head. And no...no...they are all afraid of me. One boy came and thought about helping me, but Tsuen ran him off. She said he wanted to kill me! But he didn't, he wanted to help me, but she wouldn't listen...

He pushed his snout forward. His eyes flashed red. It hurts....

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Watching the large bronze he found himself scratching the bronze under his chin as he'd been shown that he enjoyed greatly. “Easy mighty bronze. I know. D'ren will wake but Ronarth.. You need to be tended if D'ren sees you as you are now I think he will go right back into a sick bed. You will get sick, and then how will D'ren fair?”

Speaking softly he gave the bronze a deep even hum as he tried to sooth the dragon but reason with him. He needed to find a healer to take care of Ronarth, someone needed to clearly clean out the wound it wasn't supposed to be that color, that much was clear to even Nejerc. As the dragon spoke of someone coming to tend him but being chased away he frowned.

Someone who would kill him? 'Ah... Talian.' It was the only conclusion that Nejerc could think of off the top of his head. Tsuen had chased off Talian? Tsuen had looked at the bronze and seen his injury but done NOTHING but let the dragon deteriorate even knowing he needed a healer? The focus of his anger shifted quickly to the weyr woman who had chased away the one who would have tended Talian.

But Talian clarified that he was no dragon healer... Yet still he was willing to do something for Ronarth when everyone else was to frightened. Perhaps Nejerc should go look for the healer and demand he tend Ronarth, and stand over him until it was done. He didn't care if he would have to stand up to Tsuen, or S'kef damn them both for letting Ronarth waste away while D'ren lay in a bed unable to see to the task himself.

The mighty creature who had long served them, and the rider who had done much for them deserved better! “D'ren is very strong, you best of all know so Ronarth. He is fairing better of late, he needs to rest is all. D'ren will wake.” 'I hope, and may he come out of the poison and pain to be clear..'

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Ronarth cringed at first, nervous of the touch, but he quickly settled down. He rested on his stomach, head lying in the grass beside Nejerc's feet. The creature's breathing was labored in his discomfort. I know... he whispered. But he needs me! And he hurts so bad, and....and...I don't know how to fix it! he snorted in frustration and closed his eyes, pushing his snout to bump lightly against Nejerc's legs.

It hurts him to be awake. I wish he would just stay asleep and not be hurt, but I miss him so much! He's so far away from me, I cannot stand it! the dragon complained, shuddering and lashing his tail. He rumbled irritably, though the anger was in no way directed at his company.

Can you fix me? he asked, eyes finally reopening and softening from an angry red to a very sad yellow. He sighed and fanned his wings out lazily, having not stretched them for some time. The joints popped unpleasantly.

Suddenly, the dragon's attention shifted. Ronarth never had a particularly long attention span, but this was different. You came back! he spouted, looking off to one side.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Indeed I did," Talian said, masking his displeasure at being spoken to. He'd softened on dragons, but that didn't mean he wanted Ronath talking to him. Larrikith was Talian's friend and Veeth was tolerable, but Ronarth was not welcome in the slightest. Sill, the sharding dragon had gone tended for so long that Talian sometimes through he could smell the wounds when he got downwind, and any fool with working eyes could see that the beast was in pain. That was inhumane, and it was going to stop.

Talian came with his leather bag filled with supplies in one hand and a deep bucket of water in the other. Fellis was perched lightly on his shoulder, but became visibly nervous at the sight of Ronarth. The dragon was far too large and far too excitable to make good company, and on top of that, he was a bronze, and bronzes were scary! Talian shushed the flit, sending a bit of mental reassurance as he approached. He silently willed Fellis to remain with him rather than fleeing; the creature needed to learn not to run blindly from every dragon he met!

Talian approached, setting his gear down and pulling his headband on. He'd noticed Nejerc, but didn't bother saying anything until those matters were tended to. Tal didn't care for the other man, but he wasn't going to make an issue out of it. He scowled a bit, perhaps at Ronarth himself or perhaps at his condition, and gave his companion a small shush before stepping close.

"....Hello," he said, distracted but not insincere as he looked at the dragon's tattered hide. His comment was directed at Nejerc, and even a dim-witted dragon like Ronarth could understand that. The dragon purred and looked back to Nejerc, clearly pleased to have not just one person looking after him, but two!

"Shards," Talian said lightly, eyes narrowing as he ran his fingers around the edge of the wound. "This is ridiculous."

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Watching the frustrated injured dragon and listen to his whines Nejerc's heart went to the injured dragon. He stroked the dragon trying to comfort him as best he could but knew that he was a very poor substitute for the dragons rider. D'ren's presence would have likely done wonders to the dragon, but D'ren was in no shape clearly.

He could not fix the dragon and had been about to say so, but would follow the reassurance that he would fetch someone who would when the dragon clearly spoke to someone else and he turned to see Talian the man of his thoughts. He kept his expression blank trying not to express his surprise at seeing the man approach Ronarth.

He'd been chased away by Tsuen according to Ronarth, but Talian had come back, and with that in mind Nejerc viewed the other man in a new light. Keeping his own counsel he watched as Talian tied his head band and then looked at the wounds. At Talian's greeting he didn't respond but at his comment about the wound Nejerc spoke with a hint of what he was feeling.

“So I'm not the only one.” His tone was dry, tinged with the hint of annoyance which was only the edge of the rage he felt at the injustice that Ronarth was suffering. “If you need another pair of hands I offer mine as long as you've no plans of putting them near numb weed.” He eyed the healers supplies and the bucket of water he had brought.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian didn't bother with further niceties. He wasn't being rude, it just wasn't in his nature. He preferred getting to the point and hitting the technical stuff to wasting time on awkward small talk. "Not much I can do for him, aside from numbweed," Talian said lightly as he continued his inspection. Ronarth sighed, occasionally twitching in pain as Talian's small fingers worked their way over his hide.

The healer frowned almost comically. He had no idea what to do. "...Looks like he's infected. He'll need a redwort bath and some salve to protect the muscle while it heals. I..." Shards, what to do? He remembered reading in a manual once that greenbloods were usually treatable with the same first aid as redbloods, so he assumed it would work for dragons as well.

"Don't want to risk hurting you, though," he said with exasperation, this time directing his words to Ronarth. Suddenly, his eyes lit up. Oh, why was he worried at all? B'jin had confirmed that such treatments worked on fire lizards during that lesson, and if they worked on fire lizards, they would work on dragons! The healer took a moment to review what he knew of the differences, and he was satisfied.

"Redwort," he repeated, muttering the word softly as he dove into his bag. He eyed Nejerc for a moment. He didn't know that he cared for this man, and he didn't like other peoples' hands in his things. He barely even trusted the other healers in the sharding hall to do anything right, too, much less a harper.

He stared awkwardly for a moment, his expression unreadable but certainly conflicted. Fellis cheeped and pushed his face into Talian's hair. The other man had been mean to Daddy, so Fellis found it prudent to hide! That snapped Talian out of his weird stare.

"Fellis. Calm down!" he said, tapping the creature lightly. Fellis nervously obeyed and pressed himself to Daddy's neck while Talian, his awkward stare broken, looking down even more awkwardly at his bag,

"You can help with the redwort bath if you want, but numbweed will have to come after. Otherwise, this dragon will remain in pain. He's too large to dose with fellis-"

Fellis cheeped questioningly and Talian couldn't help but laugh.

"...Not you," he said, poking the creatures nose. He shook his head, then looked into his bag again. Tal had a tendency to stare into people's eyes, and right now he was avoiding eye contact specifically to avoid that habit!

"...He's too large to dose with any oral painkillers, and he needs something.  Dragons don't always show their pain vocally like we do. His body language is more important." Talian sounded like a teacher, tone mellow and borderline friendly, but more than anything else it was clinical. He was supposed to be a teacher one day, after all. Too bad that wasn't going to happen now.

He frowned as he pulled a bundle of redwort from his bag. It wasn't enough.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Watching Talian set into working he didn't even blink when Talian rambled and then stopped and stared at him. The stare broken when the firelizard attempted to hide. When that shook Talian out of staring Nejerc dropped his gaze to the supplies the healer was reaching through. At Talian's mention of Fellis, and the cheep of the fire lizard the composure that Nejerc had held on slipped like a thread suddenly snapping. He tilted his head back and laughed the sound loud and uncontrolled even as he used a hand on Ronarth's side to keep from falling over even as his other hand wrapped around him to his side. He was useless for several minutes of laughter.

Breathing through his nose a moment attempting to calm himself despite his continuing softer chuckles he soothed Ronarth with another scratch to the chin. “It will be alright.” He said in a deep tender voice for the dragon to understand. Turning back he saw the healer pull out a bundle of redwort.

Comparing the size of the bundle to the size of Ronarth. He doubted that was enough, taking in the size of the wound and the bundle again he rose an eyebrow. “Hmm, I'm no healer, but I don't think that's going to be enough for Ronarth. He's thee mighty bronze after all.” He teased the dragon letting his gaze move to the dragon as he emphasized the mighty part. He'd taken to calling Ronarth mighty since their first encounter and he would likely never stop, the dragon had enjoyed it the first time. That was all the permission Nejerc had needed on the subject.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian could not, for the life of him, figure out what was so funny. Two turns at Katila wasn't near enough to undo his years of poor socialization, improvements or not! He blinked, looking awkwardly at Nejerc while he laughed. The laughter seemed contagious to Ronarth, who rumbled pleasantly right along even though he had no idea what was funny either, but it bounced right off of Talian. His visible confusion was comical, but harmless.

In the end, he did smile. It was soft, impersonal, and hazed with confusion, but it was there. Talian was a subtle man, and that little smile was the equal of Nejerc's laughter.

That didn't mean Talian was at ease. He went back to work, still wary of the other man and perhaps even confused by the change in tone. Talian didn't like not knowing where he stood, and in all of their brief interactions, Nejerc had been very hot and cold towards him. So it was with awkward, temporary acceptance that the healer rose to his feet and looked towards the harper.

"I didn't think the dragon's wounds covered so much of his body, or I'd have brought more," he said. He eyed Fellis, whom he was currently training to retrieve items for him. Fellis wasn't large enough for this job, though. "This will do for now.We'll see how much he will tolerate before we have to give him a break."

Talian was not bossy. He had a commanding presence in medical situations, but since he was speaking with a nonhealer, his usual authority was tarnished by uncertainty. He shrugged helplessly and plunged the redwort solution into the water. "This is heavily diluted. I don't know want it to stop the effects of the numbweed, and I'd rather see how he reacts to a little bit before I dose him more heavily. I've never done serious work on a dragon before."

He absently went to work, making no motion to invite Nejerc to help him at first. Then, after a couple silent moments of work, he realized his mistake and jumped a bit. "Oh! Um, sorry," he said, turning his head away in embarrassment. He scooted over a bit, making room for Nejerc on the other side of the bucket. Fellis peeped in protest at the swift motion, but remained well-behaved.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Relieved as Ronarth himself gave a rumble and taking note of the smile on the healer Nejerc relaxed slightly patting the large bronze again. He wanted the bronze to understand that Nejerc cared for him, no doubt not nearly as much as D'ren did, but still. With that thought Nejerc was slightly troubled a moment but pushed the thought away for later analyzing.

He listened attentively as the healer spoke healer information about what he wanted Nejerc got the simple jist of it, and watched as the healer began to work at applying it to the dragon. When the healer apologized and made room for Nejerc next to him he rose his eyebrows the only sign of his surprise, but he stepped next to the healer and copied his movements carefully and likely much slower in his inexperience with what was to be done in comparison to Talian who had probably done this many times, or something similar repeatedly.

“You need not apologize Talian.” He paused a moment thinking about it. “For anything.” He added his gaze not turning to the healer trying to focus on what he was doing so it was done properly, for Ronarth's sake. He would have normally apologized in return to Talian but he found he couldn't. He had meant what he said and could not take that back, perhaps he had gone about it the wrong way but Nejerc found an approach could not be backed up and retaken easily. He wouldn't retake what was said.

Clearly the healer had suffered being brought here but there wasn't anything that could be done about it.  Certainly nothing that Nejerc himself could do about it. He had already given Talian leave to hate him, and leave to slander his name there was nothing else Nejerc could offer Talian to ease whatever had been done to him by others, or the lose of his northern home.

D'ren may have made mistakes but he'd only done what anyone could have done, if Nejerc had been in his position.... Well what would Talian himself have done if he had been in D'ren's shoes? It was something that maybe Nejerc should put to Talian to see if he could perhaps answer it in any fashion. Or if he would even understand how hard a choice it had likely been to even steal from the north for what they had needed to survive. What they had needed for the dragons to survive..

And yet here Nejerc was hinging on bets that he would never impress so he wouldn't have a dragon of his own yet he had stood on the sands many times and with increasing frequency of late... He wasn't any better than Talian, but at least he didn't take out his troubles on other people. Only on himself.

As he paused to stare at the wound on Ronarth he found that this was likely a horrible time to be having this internal conversation and should likely continue it later.. But Tsuen, and S'kef and really crossed a line here by over looking Ronarth as if he weren't even there. They were acting as if he'd already gone between... 'Those bastards'

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Mmhmm," Talian replied, thinking nothing of the comment and assuming it wasn't sincere. That wasn't so much an act of anger as a general mistrust. Nejerc had betrayed himself as being on the 'them' side of the equation, and while Talian was not nearly as factionalist as he once had been, he was still slow to trust those who had obvious trust in the obviously incompetent leadership.

Tal certainly had answers for the questions Nejerc was asking himself in his head, but until those were spoken, the healer could not answer. For now, he still took Nejerc as hostile. He assumed it would stay that way until one of them broke and said something, but it wasn't likely to be Talian. He didn't hold any particular animosity, but he didn't feel like he needed to apologize himself, either. If there was one thing this place had tried to grind into him, it was that he had no right to resist being pushed around. He didn't buy into it anymore.

He continued to work, rubbing the antiseptic over Ronarth's raw spots and trying his best to keep it at a reasonable dosage. Once the area on the back of the dragon's shoulder was covered, he backed away. "All right," he mumbled out loud, keeling beside his back to remove some numbweed salve and cloth strips.

"Based on what I'm told," Talian said lightly as he applied some salve to the first strip, "Unless D'ren is treated for the damage to his stomach lining, he's going to die." He wasn't happy about it, in spite of his dislike for the man. He grimaced. "Ronarth, is it? You must stay calm and try to sleep. An upset stomach, be it from poison or stress, could well kill him."

The dragon creeled in distress and turned his head away, but didn't say anything. He knew it was true, so he tried his best to calm down. His large form shuddered involuntarily and he closed his eyes. At the very least, the soothing sensation of the numbweed helped him rest more easily. He crooned to both of them.

Tal sighed as he looked over the rest of the wounds. "...Just numbweed for the rest. I'll wait a few hours and see how the redwort interacts with him before adding any more." The last thing he needed was the damn dragon having an allergic reaction. "This will keep him comfortable, though."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Smoothing a hand over the great bronzes less than healthy hide one last time he stepped away and turned to the healer. He hadn't asked Ronarth the questions he had come to ask, and found that now was not a good time. Ronarth needed to rest, and with his wounds finally receiving enough treatment to ease the pain the bronze had been in Nejerc was reluctant to push Ronarth to think about what had happened. The healer was of course right, Ronarth needed to relax and rest for D'ren's sake as much as for Ronarth's own.

He moved several steps from the bronze but turned to face Talian waiting long enough for the healer to become aware that he was still watching him. “You've more than proven your intelligence and your desire to aid D'ren even against the weyr's wishes. I'm unclear as to why, when you clearly have no like for him.” Spreading a hand fingers splayed wide to prevent Talian from speaking just yet as he took a moment and thought carefully.

“I met D'ren only once, however I'm not like you. I grew up around dragons, and my only true family was always a dragon rider. So I was always aware of the responsibility and troubles the weyr leader must face constantly and on a daily basis. Yet even though I know these things I know I can no imagine the hard choices D'ren has been forced to make.

In my one encounter with D'ren and Ronarth I became even more aware of what they must constantly face. D'ren though he clearly had many responsibilities was still willing to just interact with a single member of the weyr. I imagine he was expecting me to come to him with complaints and problems. Ronarth was affectionate as a trusting child from the creche who has yet to be battered by the worse side of our life yet, and just as sweet.

I take offense that you clearly have something against D'ren and Ronarth. Neither would blame you for whatever the reason is, but if it is the weyr leader who protects the weyr folk and tends to their every little problem, then who is it who will hold the weyr leaders back up when he falls?” Nejerc looked past Talian to Ronarth and dropped his voice to a softer tone.

“Whatever your qualm I would ask you what would you have done in his stead that made you see him as you do? Can you step into his shoes and feel the weight of so many lives relying on you to see to them, and the continued survival of the dragon specie?” Turning his spread hand he curled the fingers together palm up almost as if Nejerc was offering something that might have been in his palm to Talian.

“I clearly offended you with my words earlier but I will not stand by and allow people to speak poisonous words that would harm someone who was unthinkingly in the wrong place by happenstance. It was my fault, I shouldn't have allowed Aparicus to remain with me when I spoke with you, but like mistakes made they can not be taken back. Only another action can be made to attempt to mend what was done. I did so. If that bothers you...”

Nejerc lowered his hand and shrugged hooking the thumbs of both his hands at the waist band of his pants as he rolled his shoulders. “There is nothing I can do about it but explain as I have. What you choose to do-” He turned his gaze into Talian's meeting Talian's eyes steadily. “It is not something I can dictate to you, and not something I would wish to do.”

Nejerc had not spoken this much in so long, he had not had to explain his views to another it felt odd, yet he felt that in light of how he had treated Talian that Talian deserved at least this much. Nejerc didn't expect his words to fix what had been done, but hopefully they would help Talian see the other side of the fence. A hope, but even if Talian did see the other side of the fence there was still the distinct possibility that he wouldn't care enough to shift his views even the slightest. Nejerc stood waiting, he would give Talian a chance to speak before he left.

Of course he would return later to check on Ronarth to see how the treatment was fairing. If all was going well, and Ronarth was feeling better then perhaps at that time Nejerc would ask his questions. It would rely heavily on who might be around, and if Nejerc thought Ronarth might be up to the questions that would likely upset him...

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian's head turned slowly towards the harper as he spoke, first asking a simple question with a simple answer. Before Talian could answer, however, Nejerc continued into a much longer dialogue. Talian's calm expression melted into a blank, almost unbelieving one as Nejerc continued what ultimately amounted to another attack.

Was he seriously still brooding over this? Talian didn't even think what he'd said was so horrible a slight against the Weyrleader. Was Nejerc really so sensitive that even slight negativity towards D'ren offended him so? Talian was mildly offended himself, but far more puzzled.

He supposed it made a little bit a sense. Nejerc had been trapped in this hellhole for an awfully long time, and like many of the plague survivors, had little choice but to rely on the leadership. Tensions were high with D'ren in such serious condition as well. So perhaps the defensiveness was permissible? Perhaps Nejerc had other stress-causing influences in his life? Talian could probably help him with that. Anxiety was easily treatable!

Tal listened intently, but by the end he felt so hopeless in his position that he let out a nervous, despairing laugh. He ran his fingers through his hair and averted his eyes,  mind grasping for the right response. Of course, as it often did with Talian, the first response slipped out of his mouth before his brain could reach a consensus.

"Of course I want to help him. I'm a healer," he said in bemused response to the original comment. "I wouldn't be a very good one if I let my personal feelings get in the way. Besides..." He paused, pursing his lips as his expression softened. "No one deserves to be murdered, and Tansy is a nasty way to go..." His stomach turned a flip.

Afterwards, Talian only frowned. "Listen, Nejerc," he said, trying to shed his clinical side. It was hard for Talian to be personable with strangers. He didn't like exposing himself, and replying to Nejerc's speech in any detail would get close to old wounds that Talian had no desire to reopen. So he just frowned, conflict and mistrust shadowing his soft features.

"I don't have to justify my opinion to you. I...do know what you're talking about. The man is in a difficult position and has good intentions. I know that, but it doesn't obligate me to agree with him. If you are so defensive that you can't respect a difference in opinion, then I don't know what to tell you." There was nothing confrontational about Talian's tone or stance. It was closer to hopelessness than anger or indignation.

He sighed wearily. He'd fought this battle many times before, and wasn't keen on fighting it again. Conflicting emotions danced behind his tired eyes, but he didn't say anything else. He just turned his head towards Fellis, who lovingly bumped his nose against Tal's. The healer smiled only faintly, then looked to Nejerc again. "I saved his life the other night. If they'll let me close, I'll try to do it again."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

A circle. If felt like the two had just walked in a verbal figurative circle and hadn't gone anywhere at all. No progress appeared to have been made despite Nejerc's attempt otherwise. Why had he made the attempt in such a fashion anyway? He put it aside for further thought as he had many other thoughts as he continued to listen to Talian.

He was clearly a good man in at least his ethics. Nejerc had a feeling that had it been S'kef then Talian would have treated him no different than he had D'ren. It was a conflicting emotion that flickered in his gaze as he wondered how he should feel about that. To say that Nejerc himself could be so indifferent if it had been him wasn't something Nejerc could say easily, especially now.

Nejerc didn't mean to push for Talian to feel as if he had to justify himself to him but it appeared he had. Nejerc wished for one thing and got another, it appeared that socializing with words was not as simple a matter as Nejerc had thought it for so long. Just another reason not to talk so much as he already had.

Letting the silence grow as he faced Talian unmoving the shift of light in his eyes was the only sign of his emotion that he didn't attempt to vocalize again. Instead Nejerc gave Talian an inclination of his head. “Master Healer Talian.” It was spoken in a farewell tone, the full use of his rank meant as a simple respect that Nejerc couldn't apparently properly voice any other way.

He clearly meant to leave by his tone, and wasn't going to address any more of their conversation than he already had. Opening his mouth any more only made the situation worse after all.

At least this time Talian hadn't appeared AS offended as he had last time. A small comfort in the face of the master healers expressions of discomfort. And though Nejerc was uncomfortable as Talian's expression said he was, he did his best not to display it as the healer did.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian remained quiet, looking down at his thin hands as he worked at packing away this things. Ronarth sighed once, crooning his approval to both men before letting his eyes sink shut. Tal's own gaze flickered to the dragon for a moment, expression narrowing with focus as he considered the creature's condition. "You're going to be fine," he assured the dragon, speaking in a soothing bedside voice, just as he would to one of his patients inside.

He didn't like dragons like some of these others did, but this was a pitiful sight. Ronarth was the largest dragon on Pern, wasn't he? Something like that? And yet here he was, curled like a wounded puppy and with mannerisms to match, all because someone was cruel. The dragons were innocent of politics; if Talian had come to understand anything about them, it was that.

It was a strange mixed feeling. He peeled himself away from the dragon and looked back to the harper, just in time to see him nod his head and speak those soft, almost deferring words. Talian blinked once and bit his lip before returning the nod.  He hadn't expected anything resembling respect out of the other man, even if it came in the form of a small gesture and silence. He was surprised, and in his surprise, he wasn't sure what to do or how to feel.

He sighed and looked away. He'd been trying to do that more often, rather than staring right into people as he always had. It was hard to do, especially when he had nothing to say to break the silence. He wrapped his arms around himself, trying to make himself small.

Shards, this was awkward. But if Talian was good at anything, it was being a doctor.

"My condolences," he said after a long moment. He'd started to say 'sorry for your loss', but the bronzerider was still very much alive. Maybe he would stay that way. "...Obviously you respect him. It must be difficult to see." He paused and swallowed hard. "....His successor is certainly no improvement." Fear crept into his voice at mention of S'kef, even if indirect. 

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

As Talian's demeanor took a new turn Nejerc found himself lingering as he was spoken to. Though Nejerc was pleased that Talian assured Ronarth and felt a moment of warmth toward the man but displayed none of it as his gaze shifted to Ronarth who was perhaps preparing to sleep. It was a good sign, at least Nejerc felt it was, when one was injured they needed to sleep to recover it passed the time more quickly when you were on the road of recovering.

With Talian's condolences Nejerc stiffened slightly, it was something one said when displaying sorry for something already lost but as he looked back at Talian again he said nothing to the comment. Hadn't Talian also said that D'ren wouldn't make it without Talian on the team to care for him?

Giving a simple short nod in response Nejerc turned slightly looking away from the healer out across the gathering square. “It is becoming more and more apparent that D'ren is all that stood between us and S'kef having power over us.” He attempted to keep his emotion out of his voice and as a harper he managed it well enough but his lips set themselves into a firm line of displeasure.

Displeasure that was directed away from Talian as Nejerc was no longer looking at him, or facing him for that matter.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

That thought along made Talian wince. He frowned. "It would appear so," he said with grim distaste. His mind wandered as he considered the implications. S'kef was a popular target for speculation, and while Talian wasn't immediately convinced the man was responsible, he would not be surprised. It seemed foolish. S'kef had been only an unranked wingrider when the incident occurred. Unless N'gelt was in on it as well and stepped down as part of some elaborate plan to get the other brownrider into power, it made no sense.

There was probably something there. Talian was both clever and observant, thoroughly certain that he would be able to figure this out if he put his mind to it. There wasn't wasn't any information yet! There were a million speculations and theories, but no actual proof, and a hunch wasn't enough to sentence a man (or woman) to death.

Talian hated not knowing things. It drove him mad.

He scowled at the thought. If S'kef was responsible, he'd done a good job covering his ass so far. Talian knew it was a safe bet, but he also knew there were dozens of other likely culprits as well. It was too early for him to feel comfortable making any assertions...but what Nejerc had just said was obviously true.

"That man is an opportunist," Tal said with distaste. He hated to have worked on the brownrider as much as he had, especially knowing what he'd done to B'jin...and what his foul boyfriend had done to Talian.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By:
Congratulations Nejerc, you found a clue!

Clue 13:

“I’m tellin’ you!” one bluerider barks at another as he drunkenly stumbles past. These two have clearly just finished having some ale in the dining hall. “I saw someone runnin’ away from D’ren’s hut that night! Right before Ronarth started going nuts! Looked like they got caught in the window for a moment…”

The other man looks less convinced. “Oh yeah? What did he look like?”

“I don’t know! It was dark!” the bluerider snapped. “I’m not even sure it was a ‘he’! They were really quick, but I thought I saw long hair…” He hiccups, and the other man just shakes his head and helps him walk

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Nejerc's thoughts were oddly along the same lines as Talian's in that N'gelt may have been in on the whole plan to replace D'ren with S'kef. Turns of watching people didn't leave him completely unobservant or dense just in personal interaction.

Perparing to bid the master healer good bye since he would return later to talk to Ronarth and there was no real question in what Talian had said. It was all short statements, like himself however; Nejerc had no reason to speak as he completely agreed.

It was the voice a bluerider stumbling by that had Nejerc freezing, a slight widening of his eyes was the only sign of his surprise. He was tense a long moment even after the two had walked past. His gaze slowly fixed on Talian again but he was careful to keep quiet for a long minute making sure the two were well gone before finally speaking.

“If Tsuen or anyone gives you trouble for caring for Ronarth I will stand by you. If you feel you simply could use my hands again you've but to call.” He carefully didn't mention what he was sure they had both just overheard. After all you couldn't completely count on the words of a drunk, but something could not easily be discounted either.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian nodded in appreciation, though Nejerc's words did not completely dispel Talian's caution. "I should leave before I'm seen," he replied, though he doubted anyone would report him. Many of the other healers had been seeking him out for advice, and several had hinted that if Talian made a subtle effort to care for the Weyrleader or his dragon, they would look the other way. In many ways, this edict merely resembled another of Tsuen's crazy edicts. Few people ever took them seriously, it seemed.

This place was a madhouse. Talian sometimes wondered how long it would be before it crumbled. But maybe that was just his pessimistic side talking.

He turned on his heels and lifted his bags. He started to creep back towards the building, but not before turning around and nodding to Nejerc. "Appreciated. Good luck," he said. He looked off in the direction of the two drunken blueriders; they may well have just been spouting drunken stories, but who knew.

Tal quickened his pace. He needed a drink.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)