World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
D'ren was miserable.

His head pounded fiercely as he went about his paperwork, trying hard to think about anything and everything except the one thing he seemed able to think about; the argument, and it's result.

How could he have agreed to let them lash that boy? How could he have snapped under that ridiculous pressure?

It was the wrong thing to do. D'ren knew he'd made questionable decisions in the past. They were hard decisions, things that had no easy answers. How could he have let it come to this, though? He knew what the Weyr was saying. They were blaming Tsuen. She was, after all, the one who continued to refuse to take them home. She was the one who shot down all of D'ren's plans, strictly on the basis that he could plan all he wanted...but no dragon would leave the south with Nirinath's edict in place.

It was frustrating. D'ren loved Tsuen. She was his partner through hardship, his greatest confidant, and the mother of his precious daughter. But she had gone crazy. Only a turn before (or was it even a turn?) she was uncomfortable with the very notion of lashing. She was pleased to see a little gold, which brought them one step closer to going home. But now, she not only endorsed the torture of prisoners, but pushed for it?

How had this happened?

D'ren couldn't find it in his heart to give up on Tsuen. He loved her, he wanted to protect her...but this was inexcusable. She wasn't the one at fault, though; he was. How could he have let her influence him like this? How could he have caved to the pressure? He was a bronzerider, the Weyrleader! He was supposed to stand strong. He was the one who made the hard decisions. He was the one to accept the consequences when the outcomes weren't perfect.

And yet now, he was hiding in his hut?

The lashing had a purpose, he knew. The insubordination was a problem. But it didn't need to be a public spectacle. For the longest time, D'ren sat alone with his guilt, trying to decide what he would do in the aftermath of the disaster.

Then, he felt the stirrings of distress.

D'ren! Oh, D'ren! Ronarth cried, his soft voice rippling horribly through the old bronzerider's mind. D'ren immediately rubbed his temples. What is it,  Ronarth?

Larrikith has called to me! It's....it's a disaster! the bronze stammered. D'ren's eyes widened in horror as images of the events flashed into his mind, channeled from dragon to dragon and finally to human.

Shards, it was a mess out there!

D'ren shot to his feet. Tell B'jin to come here, now. I want him out of there. Tell him to come look after Tsereni while I'm gone he ordered his dragon as he stormed towards the door. By the time he stepped outside, he'd already broken into a fevered sweat.

No. No. This would not happen, not in his Weyr.

D'ren climbed onto Ronarth's neck. The pair took wing and quickly disappeared between, reappearing over the gathering square as a great shadow. Ronarth let out a furious bellow, his anxiety fueled by his rider's uncharacteristic surge of determined rage.

D'ren lept from the dragon's neck at the first possible moment. He wasn't young anymore, but he was still a dragonrider. He wasn't a corpse yet.

"STOP!" he bellowed. His face was red and his teeth clenched in fury as he surveyed the scene. Before him he saw N'gelt, poised to lay the final cruel lash on Sanderon's exposed flesh. He saw Jada and Lymsleia, grappling with each other in the wake of the argument Ronarth had warned of. He saw many other familiar faces in the crowd as well; an envious and obviously angry S'kef, a silently weeping I'shan...

Talian was nowhere to be seen, but it was as D'ren expected. That boy would see enough of the aftermath. He didn't need to be present.

D'ren held his breath for a moment as the crowd fell silent, cowed perhaps by his own presence, but just as likely by Ronarth's irritable screeching. The bronze carried on violently until D'ren lifted one hand, a simple gesture accompanied by a strong force of will. The dragon squeaked once, startled by the subtle yet heavy command, and immediately settled into silence.

It was so quiet it hurt.

D'ren turned his angry eyes on N'gelt. "Don't you dare drop that whip one more time," he hissed, his voice audible only to those nearby. He stalked towards his new Weyrsecond, murder in his eyes, as he lifted one accusing finger. "You were given clearance to punish this boy for an escape attempt, not make a show or it or add additional lashes!" he spat, his voice low. "I suggest you go home for the day, N'gelt. We'll talk about this tomorrow."

Tsuen opened her mouth to speak, but D'ren cut her off. "What the SHARDS is wrong with you?" he boomed suddenly. He lifted one hand in a suspiciously violent gesture, but he never actually moved to strike her. His rage disturbed Ronarth, who coiled against the ground and let out a miserable creel.

"Letting this spectacle go on without intervening? Letting these girls argue in public over this poor boy's fate? Letting a sharding candidate challenge the Weyrsecond to a knife fight and saying nothing to calm the tension? Doing nothing to keep this from devolving into threadfall?" His eyes widened as he made his appeal, so shocked by Tsuen's display of incompetence that he couldn't think of anything else to say. He stared at her for a long, tense moment, and finally his eyes began to water. He reached out, placing his hands on her cheeks, and frowned.

"What's gotten into you, Tsu?" he purred sadly. With that, he frowned and peeled himself away from her.

And yet, there were targets that remained. He walked towards the crowd, noticing with shame how some of them backed away. He moved directly towards Jada and Lymsleia.

Jada...he was so proud of her. He cast her a sad, knowing glance before giving her a gentle motion to stand down. "Thank you," he said to her, his gaze gradually shifting to Lym.

"Lymsleia. I have had enough out of you," he warned her, his voice stern, but lacking the pure anger it had carried moments before. "You mistakenly assume that we have the means or interest to support your naive ideas of how things should work. I wish we could afford to adhere to your childish ideas, but that's a luxury we don't have. Maybe one day you'll understand, but for now, I think it's best you keep quiet and stop acting like a child."

He pointed the same accusing finger art her. "And threatening N'gelt with a knife is unacceptable for anyone, dragonrider and nonrider alike. We will be discussing this."

Shards, what else? Still ablaze with adrenaline, the bronzerider paced back out before the crowd.

"This is a mistake!" he roared, pointing emphatically at Sanderon. He paused, breathing in ragged huffs as he tried to collect himself. He tried to remember diplomacy and political correctness, but he couldn't. His emotions of the past turns surged forward in an uncontrollable wave.

"There have been many mistakes!" he shouted. "All of you know this! We have suffered turn after turn of exile, struggling to rebuild everything we had before the plague.  We watched our friends and loved ones die! We suffered in loneliness and despair, clinging on to any shred of hope we could find! We scraped and clawed for every inch, we worked hard for little return! It's been hard!"

"And now look what we've done! We've unjustly forced our own hardships on the innocent, taking them from their homes and forcing them to endure the same hardships that we complain about so bitterly ourselves! It's wrong, Katila. It is wrong, but no one should suffer blame for it except for me. I am the one responsible for this." He turned, casting a momentarily soft, apologetic expression to Sanderon.

"What's done is done," he said, starting off lowly before the passion again stirred in his voice. "What was done...was done out of cruel necessity. We brought these children here because we needed their help, not to torture them. And we do need them, just as they now need us." Now, he addressed the northerners.  "What happened to you is wrong. And I, as the man personally responsible, am sorry. I can't erase the past, but I want Katila to be a home to you, not a prison!"

"That said, we are all here together now...and regardless of how we feel about one another, we need each other to survive." His voice quavered. He felt his throat tighten. "We are alone, friends. We are drifting at sea, and if we don't work together, our lifeboat will sink very quickly..."

He paused and wiped some sweat from his brow. He was exhausted. His hands were shaking. Still, he stood tall. "...I promise, all of us can see our homes again. We can see the Weyrs flourish again. We can all know peace again. But that can never happen if we continue to fight among ourselves. The dragonriders are meant to the protectors of Pern. We've failed our own legacy, but we did it to survive. We must survive. And if we survive today, we will still be here to protect the world tomorrow."

He sighed and looked down for a long moment. "There will be changes," he said at length. "And this? This is over. I'm not saying it's the end of punishment for rulebreakers, nor do I intend to show bias to any one group," he said, a touch of anger resurfacing in his voice. "There is no such thing as a northerner and a southerner. We are all Katilans, and we are all northerners. The North is our home; all of us. One day, we will go home together. None of us will ever make it alone."

"...From this day forward, no punishment will be public except by extraordinary circumstances. Northerners and riders will be subject to the same penalties, which I will approve personally through blind reports. And within the next sevenday...expect a new charter outlining penalties to be posted for public viewing. I will not tolerate spectacles like this. I will not tolerate public fighting and threats. And I will not tolerate further abuse of power." The anger resurfaced in his voice.

"...Now please, go home. Chores and other duties are excused for the day. Go, and relax. Think of the future. Think of what we all want, and what we can all help each other obtain. No one is going north without dragons...and without those to stand, there will be no dragons. Think of where togetherness can take us."

He sighed, and practically wilted. Without answering the barrage of questions he started to receive, he walked calmly over to Sanderon. The Weyrleader knelt to release the young man's bonds.

"Come with me, son. Let's get you to the infirmary."

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Activity
Reading: 4 Guest(s)

Messages In This Thread
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by Eolira - 16.Aug.12, 12:21 AM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by lymsleia - 16.Aug.12, 08:55 AM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by Sasha - 16.Aug.12, 10:03 PM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by Eolira - 16.Aug.12, 10:07 PM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by lymsleia - 17.Aug.12, 04:53 PM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by D'ren - 18.Aug.12, 02:21 AM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by lymsleia - 19.Aug.12, 11:43 AM
Re: You Can't Escape [M, Anyone Welcome!] - by Eolira - 20.Aug.12, 11:00 AM