World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Winter 01.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [C] [EVENT] 740.07.17 | Best of Friends
1 PM | A’tay

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Written By: ThistleProse
Madiquel looked up from where she’d been enjoying lunch with Vaera, and several of her other friends. Madiquel had had a blast introducing everyone to her fellow Apprentice, and had quickly decided that Vaera and T’ryn would make a wonderful couple. She’d been playfully throwing them at one another every chance she’d gotten since the idea had spawned in her mind, and had been delighted when her other friends had decided to help her. She wasn’t aware of their motive being as much to tease T’ryn as it was to watch Madiquel play matchmaker (as if she had any idea what she was doing, honestly!)

Unsure what had called her attention, as she couldn’t see anything, Madiquel blinked when both Clover and Shadow dived out of the sky above her and her friends, to swirl around them in a flurry of green and blue wings, shrieking and trilling joyfully. Madiquel snorted, watching them, before shrieking herself when Xyxyth’s voice greeted her. Madiquel had hoped A’tay would come to the Gather, but she had been too afraid to actually ask anyone (including her friend) if he was going to actually come.

Springing up from her seat and ignoring her friends, Madiquel spun around until she spotted the (oh good Faranth he’d gotten so big!) bronze weyrling, and the speck atop she knew to be A’tay. Madiquel sprinted joyfully in their direction, arriving after Xyxyth had landed and A’tay had himself planted his feet on the ground. With their firelizards twirling above them, Madiquel threw herself at A’tay, wrapping her arms around his neck and clinging to him tightly for what felt like forever, and not time at all, before A’tay loosened his grip just slightly and she was lowered to the ground. Madiquel beamed at A’tay, reaching up to kiss his cheek before snuggling against him again.

“I’ve missed you so!”

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
A’tay was glad his siblings could keep secrets, especially when they had the potential to give a fun surprise to a friend. Thanks to Xyxyth and the firelizards, he spotted their group just before touching down and he couldn’t stop from smiling as he saw Madiquel rushing towards him. It had been so hard to avoid the topic of the Gather and he was both glad and a bit worried that Madiquel never brought it up either. Maybe she didn’t care if he went or not now that she had new friends to go with. Seeing how excited she was, all of his fears vanished as he slid down Xyxyth and received a tackling hug.

A’tay clung tightly to her, almost reluctant to let her go but eventually did, carefully lowering her to the ground and loosening his hold enough for her to break free if she wished. He didn’t expect the kiss to his cheek and A’tay knew he was bright red even before he felt the heat of his cheeks. It meant nothing, he knew it didn’t, had seen her give T’ryn and even the blue boys such greetings and they did the same to her. But it wasn’t always a part of their greetings and it was leaving him extremely flustered; so was her uhh, well, Madiquel was sixteen in three days and her body was starting to show some lovely curves.

And he shouldn’t be looking at them!

A’tay quickly stared at the top of Madiquel’s head as she snuggled into him again, trying his best to compose himself and finally managed to find his smile and ability to return some of the greeting. “I missed you, too. Letters aren’t the same, though I’m glad we at least have that.” Despite how much he loved the letters and always looked forward to Shadow or Clover bringing him her latest reply, A’tay had been slowly working on convincing himself he was over his crush on her since he knew it would never be reciprocated.

Seeing her again after several months apart had his feelings kicking him in the teeth for being an idiot and thinking moving on would be that easy. She was the sweetest and most beautiful girl he knew and was lucky enough to call her his best friend. Yeah, moving on was going to take a bit longer.

Finally he detangled them from each other and took her hand in his, swinging it lightly as he looked around taking in the Gather before going back to Madiquel. “So fill me in on what I’ve missed so far. I wanted to get here sooner but the Weyrlingmaster had us spend the morning oiling the dragons and getting a full inspection before our big jump here. Madi, it was so cool and so terrifying doing it!” It really wasn’t any different than their practice jumps across the Bowl but it seemed so much bigger and more important being such a large distance and one he hadn’t been to before so they had to rely on images shared from older dragons.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel pouted, but it was a playful one as she mumbled her agreement against his chest, about letters being better than nothing but just not enough. She honestly didn’t realise how much she’d missed TayTay until she was pressed against him, her face buried against his chest and trying so hard not to cry! It was so silly, but she still sniffled and refused to look up for an age, only doing so when TayTay stepped back and took her hand. She wiped her face casually, beaming up at Xyxyth and giving him a bright wave as she linked their fingers together and glued herself to TayTay’s side.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t come when you started learning to fly or go between,” Madiquel said, frowning slightly as she peered up at him worriedly. “Papa was getting upset about it, and R’nya was busy, and I couldn’t ask Rhaedalyn to drop what she was doing — one of the girls had a cold — and we had a quiz the day you began between Training. But I am so glad you made it and you’re safe and I missed you!” They weren’t new words — she’d apologised so many times in the letters they had exchanged, but she felt like she had missed an important part of his becoming a dragonrider and she thought she’d always be on the sidelines for those events, not quite literally stuck half a world away! Madiquel pouted sadly to herself as they idled near Xyxyth.

Taking a breath and brushing off her disappointment in herself, Madiquel peered up at A’tay with a particularly serious expression, her eyebrows furrowed and eyes catching his. “I am so proud of you!” She said, with great insistence. Her expression altered just slightly, a teasing look. “So is Papa,” she added, clearly bemused by her father’s interest in her best friend’s weyrlinghood, when he couldn’t stand anything draconian near him, or around him, or in general. Especially when it had to do with her. He was such a strange (but wonderful!) man, her Papa!

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A’tay laughed at the rambling apology he had read so easily in her voice and now actually got to hear. “I’ll say it as many times as I have to for you to believe me but it’s okay. I think I would have been too nervous to focus if you had been there. I’d probably die of embarrassment if we couldn’t do it or overshot the landing and you had seen it!” Luckily they hadn’t done either but it had been scary enough without spectators of the friend and family variety that A’tay wasn’t sure he would have stayed upright or kept his breakfast down if he had known any of them were watching.

The sudden serious expression had A’tay stopping and paying attention and he was suddenly worried. Was something wrong with her dad? Did something happen at the Hall? None of the above, apparently, as Madiquel declared how proud she was. A’tay simply stared, managing to blink, and wondering where that came from. He didn’t feel like he had done anything amazing. Xyxyth had chosen him but he supposed they had worked hard together to be near the top of the class and they had managed to keep each other alive. But before he could shrug it off and change the subject, Jajojin was brought up and that actually caused A’tay’s mouth to fall open as he tried to form words.

“What? Your Papa is? I… wow, DiDi,” sometimes he still used her obvious nickname everyone had used since they were little but the names Xyxyth had given them were special, something for them. Not that he would care if anyone called him Tay, but TayTay was theirs, just as DiDi was. But that wasn’t what was close to making him cry. “Really? I’m going to work even harder so I don’t disappoint either of you!” It was a promise and A’tay wasn’t a fan of breaking them. Knowing that Jajojin, the ex-rider who couldn’t be near dragons for fear he’d have a breakdown, was proud of what he had accomplished so far was such a strong motivator that A’tay felt like he could run for Weyrleader the night he graduated. He knew that wasn’t true but the idea amused him all the same and seemed to tickle Xyxyth as well as he rumbled with laughter and leaned down to gently nudge Madiquel with his nose.

I’ve missed you too, DiDi. I promise we won’t let you down either. I’ll keep TayTay focused and one day he’ll run a Weyr and you’ll the Weyr’s Master Healer! A’tay didn’t want such a job but the enthusiasm and idea of them both being so high ranked made him laugh all the same and he shrugged.

“Sure, why not? Could be fun with you there to patch up my papercuts and give me something for the constant headaches the job would give me. Because you are amazing and I’m proud of you for doing what you want and I know you’ll be in charge at a Weyr one day, too.”

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel nodded slightly, looking down at their linked hands as she considered his words. “That’s what Papa said,” she admitted, “And R’nya agreed. And I understand, but I’m still really sorry I wasn’t there.” She looked up again, eyebrows furrowed, before turning her attention to the firelizards as they dropped down, with Clover landing lightly on Madiquel’s shoulder furthest from TayTay, and watching him cheerfully; she chittered conversationally at him, before burrowing into Madiquel’s hair - she’d opted to wear it loose that day, with just a small amount pulled back at the crown of her head to keep it from her eyes.

A little giggle was brought forth at A’tay’s obvious astonishment at her Papa’s praise, and Madiquel grinned. “Promise!” She said, knowing she’d never make an arbitrary promise to her best friend; she always kept her promises, and never gave them willynilly. “You couldn’t,” Madiquel said seriously, smiling warmly up at A’tay. She couldn’t think of any way that TayTay could possibly disappoint her, and she bumped against him, tilting her head against his shoulder even as she grinned up at Xyxyth.

“Reach for the stars,” Madiquel grinned, knowing that if anyone could achieve such a high goal, it would be TayTay and Xyxyth! She did laugh at the idea of being a Master Healer, unsure if Verec was that open to ranking the women. Besides, even if she could attain master ship, that would be like, sooo many turns away! “Delegation, my dear!” Madiquel said playfully, holding up her free hand and wagging her pointer finger as she mimicked on of her teachers, giggling mischievously. “I’ll patch your paper cuts and we can sip wine and leave the journeymen and Second to deal with the rest of the Weyr!”

Still giggling at the idea, Madiquel gave A’tay’s hand a light squeeze to get his attention. “What did you want to do first?” She asked, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet. “There are some really interesting stalls up, and I want to dance!” Holding their joined hands up, Madiquel twirled under them, until she had her back against A’tay, beaming up at him excitedly.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A’tay joined in the laughter, liking the idea of them delegating and then sitting back. He didn’t think either of them would ever actually be able to do such a thing, knowing them both too well to know guilt would take over or they would have to check on the work constantly to feel helpful. Still, it was a fun vision and maybe one day something like it could happen. Given he had only just turned sixteen, he had a long way to go before it likely would but it didn’t hurt to have crazy dreams, right?

Like his crazy dream of kissing Madiquel, especially when she was so supportive and her usual sweet self. He almost gave in to at least a cheek kiss but refrained. It wouldn’t be viewed how he wanted it to be but a kiss on the lips seemed far too bold and she had never shown any signs of liking him more than as her best friend. He felt like this was his curse as a R’nd Kid. They all joked that they inherited some flaw from him or a curse because of him and A’tay started to think his was he’d never get the girl he wanted.

As Madiquel spun herself around and cozied up to him, A’tay was convinced that, yes, his curse was that he had been friend zoned for life and he really had to move on. It also made one of his gifts a bit silly and perhaps too much for what they had and he chewed his lower lip as he thought about giving it to her as well as what he wanted to do. Dancing seemed fun, and despite yet again saying he had to get over her, he liked the way they fit together right then and wanted more of it, which he could innocently get on the dance floor.

“I think dancing could be fun! Then we can take a break by wandering around the stalls.” He gave her hand a light squeeze and spun her back around so they were facing each other once more. “But the absolute first thing I want to do is give you your early birthday present!” He reluctantly let go of her hand so he could dig into one of his pockets where he first found a thimble and ran his fingers over it in thought. Once, when they were young and still in Katila, Rhaedalyn had shared some of her favourite stories that she both made up and heard herself as a child.

One had always stuck with him as he always liked the idea of a boy who could fly without a dragon and always had fun and would never grow up! Now that he was a bit older and saw some benefits of growing up, A’tay was recalling more of the underlining love story; or the attempt at one by the girl. She had said she wanted to give the boy a kiss but ended up giving him a thimble. In the end, she tricked the pirates by saying she was only going to give the boy a thimble as he was dying but kissed him instead, saving the day. His thimble was to represent his interest in Madiquel, assuming she remembered the story as well, but now that he saw her again, all of his courage was gone and he couldn’t risk the rejection or upsetting her.

The thimble remained in his pocket as he removed his hand and went to another one where he kept a carving of a fire lizard he had been working on since he Impressed. Well, it wasn’t the very first one as that one was a disaster, but it was the third one and the one he had spent the most time on in making it as perfect as he could—which that term was debatable but he felt it was obvious what it was supposed to be at least. It wasn’t wrapped or anything special, but A’tay presented it on his palm for Madiquel to take if she wanted it.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel beamed at the acceptance of dancing, the sunshine bright smile directed completely at A’tay before he followed up with announcing he had a surprise early birthday gift for her. Madiquel gasped, folding her hands together before her when A’tay let go to find his gift, dancing excitedly on the spot in a manner that was ridiculously reminiscent of R’nya’s daughters when he or V’ler brought them gifts.

“Oooh!” She cooed, bouncing along with great anticipation as she watched A’tay apparently searching his pockets for whatever he had gotten her. It took quite a lot of restraint to prevent Madiquel from squirming under A’tay’s arms and pawing through his pockets herself to find whatever it was he’d gotten her — and clearly lost!

“You lost it!” Madiquel wailed playfully, eyes sparkling with mirth as she pouted up at A’tay, her words quickly followed by his presenting his gift and she shrieked when she finally got to take it in, biting her lip and grasping A’tay’s hand with both of hers so she could pull the little carving close to her face, without actually touching it yet. “Oh my gosh, TayTay!” Snatching the carving carefully from his palm, she threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly for a moment, before releasing and leaning her side against A’tay so she could study the little firelizard up close.

“I love it!” She cooed, gently turning the figurine over and brushing her fingers along the carefully carved lines. Peering up at A’tay, Madiquel beamed at him, positively glowing with delighted affection. “Thank you!”

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A’tay didn’t realise he was holding his breath, waiting for her approval. He had been confident in the gift when he pulled it out but somewhere in those few brief seconds of her taking it in, he fell to pieces and saw all the flaws in the carving and saw her eyeing it up with great scrutiny. When the arms came around him for a hug, he was too busy not passing out with relief and didn’t do much more than stand there like a tree that finally wrapped his branches—er arms—around her when she leaned against him again.

“I’m glad you love it. It’s not as detailed as I wish it could be but maybe for your twentieth birthday I’ll be at that level!” Considering only a few turns ago he was only able to carve names into wood and make basic door signs for his friends, A’tay was actually quite proud of himself for making a firelizard-shaped lump. He would definitely keep at it, though, as he found the hobby relaxing and challenging at the same time. He wanted to constantly improve with it but the whittling portion was nice to do at the end of a long day and he wanted to unwind. His pretend future as Weyrleader would likely see him doing a lot of whittling as a stress-reliever.

“So, dancing?” A’tay stepped away from Madiquel and did his best Lordly bow as he held out his hand for her to take. “May I escort the Lady to the square for a few dances?”

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

“It’s amazing,” Madiquel stressed, giving A’tay a scolding look before dropping her gaze to the carving once more. “You’ve improved so much!” She looked up, beaming with pride, and a slight air of mischief. “I have the name plate you gave me on my trunk at the Hall.” She said cheerfully, beaming. “Some of the girls asked about it! Oh! You should meet Vaera! She’s amazing. I think she likes your brother. They’re so cute together! And they spent ages chatting by Syrendryth. It was wonderful. Mylo was amazing, too, by the way. She knew just how to get them to spend time together.”

Madiquel giggled, before beaming up at A’tay. “I want a carving of Xyxyth for my twentieth,” she teased, eyes bright with playful mirth. She wouldn’t dream of holding him to it, but the idea of having a little wooden Xyxyth to keep by her bedside made her feel warm and loved and she beamed at the dragon in question. “Don’t you think that would be grand, Xyxyth?” She asked, turning back to see A’tay working on distracting her. She laughed, unsure if it was intentional or not, and did her best to curtsy in her short summer dress. It wasn’t as short as some of the girls wore, but it also wasn’t a full on gather gown; Madiquel considered it far too warm for such wear, though the trip between had been cold! Thankfully she’d been able to leave her full length cloak with R’nya and Xyreith for when she wanted to go home to the Hall.

“It would be my great honour, my Lord,” Madiquel grinned, slipping her arm through A’tay’s, but then paused and gently offered him the firelizard once more. “Would you please keep this safe? I don’t have any pockets.” Her concern for the safety of the little wooden piece of genuine and had her brows furrowed as she begged A’tay to take it back — for a few hours! “I’d hate to lose or break it!” The very idea horrified her, and she pouted lightly, but beamed when A’tay stowed it away for her, reaching up to kiss his cheek again. “Thank you! Let’s dance!”

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A’tay waited until Xyxyth and Madiquel were finished squealing and bouncing around in excitement over his carving and the idea of him making something else in four years, not sure what else he could add to the conversation. He knew he would spend the four years working on the same piece or multiple versions of it until he was happy but he also wanted to keep making her items since she seemed to like them so much. The idea that his name plate for her was on her chest for everyone to see was also giving him mixed emotions of pride and embarrassment. It had been one of his earliest pieces and he was certain he could make her a new one that was a lot better but he knew Madiquel wouldn’t let him and he’d earn a pout and maybe a smack to his arm.

When the pair finally seemed ready and his distraction worked, A’tay took the carving and placed it back in the pocket it came from, knowing it would be safe there and not in the way of their dancing. Dancing! He was going to dance with Madiquel! Sure, they had been dancing together since they were about four but this was entirely different. Well, different on his end with his stupid feelings that he couldn’t let go of while Madiquel didn’t feel the same and was applying herself to a craft and simply being amazing and not needing a boyfriend. Ugh, he was starting to sound as bad as T’ryn.

A’tay took Madiquel’s hand and led her through the people milling about and to the dance floor that was currently devoid of his sister as Mylorah must have been off having a break since Madiquel had told him all about how she had been living on the floor since arriving an hour earlier. He tried to channel his sister’s confidence when they reached the dance floor. Dancing at Katila and at Weyr Gathers seemed so much more informal than one at a Hold and A’tay felt like their silly bouncing around, spinning, and laughing might be out of place. But again, he thought of how Mylorah likely still did all of that and wouldn’t have cared if she attracted every negative eye in the area.

So, that’s what he did. He focused only on Madiquel as he took both of her hands and started twisting to get them to loosen up and laugh. When a smile broke out, he started twisting and bending his knees so they lowered a bit to the ground and then led them back up again. By the time they were standing straight, he was laughing and glad he stopped over thinking everything.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel’s step was light and bouncy as A’tay lead her to the dancing area, turning back to wave cheerfully at Xyxyth as they left the growing bronze dragon to his own entertainment. She did feel a little sad for the dragons, with their being unable to get in on all the festivities, but she also had a good idea that most of them didn’t mind. It was a good chance for them to socialise with their own kind, and soak up the sunshine while their silly riders likely got a bit burnt and spent all their marks on silly things (that the dragons, of course, would be lugging home!).

Dancing made her quickly forget about the dragons, though; laughing and giggling with A’tay as he spun her around to the good music and the growing crowds. Madiquel liked it when more people joined, because she felt that she was less standing before the entire world, and could focus more on just having fun with A’tay and not with the creeping feeling that people were watching her. Dancing was good for the stress of her crafting, though! As she laughed and teased and danced, Madiquel felt the weight of her classes fall away, too, making her feel a lot more like the girl she’d been when she’d left the Weyr, and less like the girl she’d become who spent far too much time studying!

“I need a break!” Madiquel giggled, swooning dramatically against A’tay and beaming up at him. “Let’s get something to drink!” Not waiting for an answer, Madiquel took A’tay’s hand and glanced around until she spotted a tent on the edge of the clearing that had been used for dancing (and was not very clear!) and flashed a bright smile as she wove through the dancers, leading A’tay in that direction. When they arrived at the tent, Madiquel blinked at all the options before smiling shyly at one of the bartenders. “Can we please have a pitcher of water?” The only alcohol Madiquel had ever had was the watered-down stuff Rhaedalyn occasionally shared with her and the girls, and Madiquel wasn’t interested in trying straight wine at the gather!

“Thanks!” Madiquel chirped, when the bartender came back with a large pitcher of cold water – they must have brought ice down off the mountains – and followed her and A’tay over to an empty tabletop, setting the items down and leaving them. Letting go of A’tay’s hand so he could pour the water, Madiquel turned back to watch the dancers, laughing when she spotted Mylorah twirling through the throngs, though she couldn’t make out who the older girl was dancing with. “Thank you!” Madiquel said happily, taking the glass that was offered to her by A’tay and drinking it slowly only because she wanted to do more dancing, not get a sick belly from ice-water.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A'tay could list several big moments in his life that made up a top ten list of best day ever, like Impressing, but dancing with Madiquel without a care and seeing her smile so much was quickly shooting up the list. It wasn't even the first time they had danced together but hormones seemed to make everything a lot more intense! His cheeks warmed at where his thoughts were trying to take him, but thankfully it was a warm day and the dancing was making him sweat a bit so red faced wouldn't look too out of place.

Also thankfully, Madiquel seemed to be in the same overheated state as she suggested a break and playfully swooned against him which wasn't helping his overall state. He nodded a bit stiffly and then followed her--or was dragged really since she held his hand and he stumbled to keep up. He had to keep focused and stop his mind from wandering so much! It wouldn't do to keep thinking about his crush or that he still wanted to give her the thimble-kiss that weighed a tonne in his pocket. Madiquel was sharp and would notice something off about him and then she'd worry and he'd have ruined everything!

So he shoved all stupid and weird feelings and thoughts aside as he was tasked with pouring the drinks and focused on the fun they were having. And the fun others were having. He glanced out at the space they had just left and saw Mylorah now out there laughing and being as carefree as he knew she would be. What would it be like to be that confident? He knew she had her own doubts she struggled with but she didn't seem to care that people gave her odd looks. She was the bravest person he knew and not just for dancing differently than everyone else around her. She had, after all, stepped in front of recently hatched Xyxyth when he came charging in their direction to keep her little brother from getting injured again.

He stared at the scar on his hand from where the little blue's teeth sank in. He had been lucky it was a clean bite and the baby didn't tear when he pulled away or he'd either have a lot more nerve damage or possibly no hand at all! Thanks to being in shock from the bite, fear hadn't really settled in and that was the only reason why he ended up back on the Sands to greet Xyxyth. A'tay didn't think he'd have been confident enough to go back out if he had been thinking more clearly. That was starting to sound like his life story; lacking in confidence and clear thoughts.

His hand went into the pocket with the thimble again and he toyed with it as he sipped on his water. Mylorah wouldn't question it. She'd give the gift because that was what she wanted to do and wouldn't worry about the way it was seen or if the symbol was even recognized since it had been years ago when they first heard the story.

And it wasn't like he was asking for sex. That thought kind of scared him senseless. Sure, he wouldn't mind that happening...down the road...when they were comfortable with kissing. That's all he wanted and even that kiss kind of scared him because other than the one that drunk girl at Nerreh's party stole, he had no experience with that.

He was thinking too much again! A'tay let go of the thimble, leaving it again for the time being, although he had decided to give it to Madiquel by the end of their day together so he could flee before she connected the dots...or didn't. He finished off his water and set the cup down just as a familiar chittering was heard and getting closer.

"Oh no..." A'tay looked around and saw Shadow bee-lining right for him and he sighed as he waited for impact. The chubby blue landed on his shoulder and proudly displayed the chunk of sweet bread he held. "I really hope someone gave that to you and you didn't steal it. I'm not getting in trouble for your quite literal sticky fingers." A'tay frowned at Shadow and was rewarded with a sad firelizard that held out the bread again. "It's fine, you eat it. But remember not to take unless someone gives it to you."

A'tay smiled, feeling the firelizard's agreement coinciding with Xyxyth asking Shadow to bring him some snacks too. They were such a handful! "Did you want to dance some more or do something else?" He asked Madiquel, curious about what else she wanted to do on their day of freedom.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel might be sharp, but she was also spectacularly distracted by everything going on around them; the music! The dancing! The crowds of people swirling around them everywhere. The scents of food and the cool touch of water as she gratefully swallowed the rest of what was in her glass, and refilled it while A’tay seemed to be lost in thought. Getting lost in thought herself, Madiquel was busy watching the current song end, putting her glass down so that she could join in the excited applause, when she heard A’tay mumble something.

“What?” She asked, turning to follow his gaze, and bursting into peals of giggles when Shadow appeared, the little firelizard darting past her to show A’tay his prize. She continued giggling, even as bright eyes flickered, looking for Clover, who was (of course) zipping along in Shadow’s wake. Madiquel giggled more, reaching up to entice her little firelizard onto her arm, watching as Cover flopped around her neck and pouted at her, even as she got the vague sense that Shadow had promised her some of his prize, which was most likely stolen. Madiquel continued giggling, encouraging Clover to go and fight for her share if that was what she wanted.

The little green firelizard gave a shriek of joy, and launched herself off Madiquel and tumbled into Shadow, squealing and projecting emotions that told Madiquel pretty clearly that Clover wanted her share. Now. With very little in the way of manners. Giggling, and looking with wide eyes at A’tay, Madiquel bit her bottom lip, eyes wide at the low scale trouble she’d just caused, her hands pressed against her mouth as she struggled not to laugh, though naughty little giggles struggled free occasionally. “Oh my!” she spluttered, still giving soft little cackling like giggles, “Sorry!” she snorted, the sound bubbling into laughter, punctuated with some more little snorts of amusement.

It took a couple of moments before Madiquel could speak, and she looked with apologetic, wide eyes up at A’tay. “Sorry!” she burst into another little splattering of giggles. “Lets dance, before someone realises they’re ours!” Her nose crinkled up as she laughed mischievously, snorting some more, and she tugged on A’tay’s hand to lead him back into the swarm of dancers. Random little ‘tee hee hees’ bubbling forth as they went.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A'tay cringed when Clover tackled Shadow, thankfully avoiding any sort of injury from two firelizards colliding and bickering over a piece of bread. At least now he knew where Shadow was picking up some of his bad behaviour. Madiquel was lost to a fit of giggles but A'tay just gawked at her. Sure, her giggles were cute and he was glad she was having fun but she wasn't the one that had to constantly live with Shadow. He'd have to come up with something evil to teach Clover next time the green brought him a note.

Sighing at the scuffle, A'tay nodded and followed Madiquel back out to the dance square where Mylorah was dancing with Misharan and being their usual spectacle. When those two loud personalities got together, it was hard to focus anywhere else. Which suited him just fine; it meant no one would be watching him and he could enjoy himself without any sort of pressure.

So that's what he did and did so for several songs, completely forgetting where they were and that people were milling about all over the place. Eventually another break was in order and they returned to the watering station which was thankfully devoid of firelizards. Since neither had found them while dancing, A'tay assumed they were off getting into more trouble and hadn't bee chased or felt afraid. So long as their thieving was limited to pieces of food and nothing too shiny or expensive, he figured he could live with whatever they got up to.

At some point during all the fun, his stomach started growling and A'tay had a sinking suspicion that he was getting close to his curfew. The Weyrlingmaster didn't want them out after dark, citing safety for their jump between, especially after a day in the song and getting into who knew what--though they had limitations on that as well.

"Did you want to find some food and go eat with Xyxyth before we have to go? Curfew for the Gather," A'tay escorted Madiquel away from the dancing while scaning the area for something close by and yummy. He was exhausted! But he hadn't been that happy in a long while and would dance for another two hours if he could. But food and more water currently sounded better and having a bit more of his friend's company was even better. "But the weyrling life is almost over so I won't have limitations and curfews much longer."

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel was having possibly the best time ever, and cheerfully – if with a great deal of exhaustion – followed A’tay when he led her back off the dancefloor what felt like hours (and just moments) later. Madiquel slumped on a seat, feeling her feet throbbing and she swung them, hoping that would alleviate some of the rumbling pain; she’d learned the basics for actually caring for overworked feet, of course, but it wasn’t like she could jump in a bath right then!

“Food sounds fantastic!” Madiquel said brightly, before her expression fell and she frowned at the reminder of A’tay’s curfew. “I guess,” she said, frowning sadly as she took his hand, curling her fingers through his, and brushing her thumb absently over the scar she could feel on the back of his hand. “That’s true!” She brightened visibly, looking up at A’tay with a teasing smile. “And then you can take me wherever I want to go.” She stuck her tongue out, playful. They both knew she could go anywhere on Pern she wanted, just by asking R’nya or Rhaedalyn or anyone of the older-young-riders, like T’ryn. Getting away without her Papa getting upset was another story, but Madiquel wasn’t thinking about that at the moment.

Finding a vendor with food they both liked the look of, Madiquel excitedly ordered her own dinner, the tender wrapping it up for them and Madiquel took the items, dropping her share of the required marks into the man’s hand along with A’tay’s. Food in arms, Madiquel let A’tay carry the drinks as he led the way to his dragon. Madiquel grinned as he directed her, finding it enchanting the way riders always seemed to know exactly where their beast was. She supposed Xyxyth could have told A’tay precisely where he was located, but that wasn’t nearly as mystical as A’tay just knowing.

Madiquel squealed when she saw Xyxyth again, and clinging to the food, she bound past A’tay and over to Xyxyth. It felt like a life time since she’d last seen the young bronze (excluding earlier that day), and certainly he hadn’t been that big, she decided, as she put the package of food down carefully! Madiquel circled Xyxyth, running her hands over his hide (that she could reach) and ducking under his belly and tail as she zigzagged, oohing and aahing over him as she went. While she'd greeted the bronze that morning, she hadn't really examined him; it really did feel like she hadn't seen him at all! How rude of her!

“You got so big!” she squealed, coming to a stop at his lowered nose so she could give him a hug, nuzzling her face against his cheek. “We have to go flying!” She said, her tone begging, and while her words unintentionally implied ‘now! Food be damned!’ she actually meant once the pair had graduated. Beaming as she bounced backwards, Madiquel excitedly gestured for Xyxyth to spread his wings (flapping her own arms wordlessly as she struggled to find the words she wanted), gasping when he did so, eyes huge. “Oh goodness,” she moaned, absolutely enchanted. “You’re so gorgeous, Xy!” spinning around, Madiquel flung her arms around A’tay’s waist and gave him a tight hug. “He’s perfect!”

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A’tay laughed as he hung back watching Madiquel and Xyxyth interact. She had just seen him hours ago but A’tay supposed her attention hadn’t been fully on the dragon like it was now with the way she inspected every inch of him. He was going to have to visit her regularly after graduation if she was so intent on that inspection. She could help him oil Xyxyth because A’tay feared he would miss a spot even with Xyxyth pointing out itchy spots.

“Definitely!” That was another incentive to visit her. They could go flying! Of course it had been a goal of his since the day she visited and went for a pony ride on a much smaller Xyxyth but he’d almost forgotten about it with their fun day. How often would be too often to visit? She had her lessons which were way more important and he didn’t want to steal all of her free time, so maybe just once a week? Maybe squeeze in a second trip sometimes?

He was still thinking about that when he ended up with Madiquel clinging to him and A’tay laughed again, startled out of his thoughts. “I’m glad you think so. The Weyrlingmaster is a bit worried about Xyxyth’s wings. The membranes are thicker than they should be but it hasn’t seemed to slow him down yet so we’ll see.” Maybe that would actually end up being a benefit to his flying but they weren’t in a hurry to find out—especially since Flights were one of the best ways to practice speed and tight turns.

They set up a little picnic area in the shade Xyxyth cast and chatted while eating. A’tay really didn’t want to go but his dutiful dragon had just passed along the message to them both that the class was to start gathering at the edge of the field for an inspection. No doubt it was to see if they had been drinking and to verify they weren’t too tired to jump before being given the approval to return to Ista.

A’tay helped Madiquel to her feet and then stood there awkwardly for a moment, unsure of what to say. “I had a lot of fun today,” he said rather lamely but his mom always told him telling the truth was better than getting caught in a lie and the advice had worked for him so far. “The dancing, the catching up, even the troublesome firelizards,” A’tay cast an annoyed look at the two mischief makers that were sitting on Xyxyth’s back, enjoying a bit of sun, no doubt too full from stolen food to move much more.

“Oh!” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the little statue he had carved and held onto while they danced. He’d hate to forget to give it back again and held it out for Madiquel to take once more. His other hand went to the pocket that held the thimble and recalling how bold Mylorah always was and how much fun he had with Madiquel that day, he finally pulled it out.

With his free hand, A’tay took Madiquel’s free hand and turned it palm up. “I also wanted to give you a, uh…kiss,” he ended up mumbling, not even sure he said the word that clearly as his cheeks warmed and he placed the thimble in her palm. Now that he had actually gone through with it, A’tay suddenly wished he could fly away to Neverland and never return but since he couldn’t, he opted for a quick retreat.

“Happy birthday, again! And I’ll see you at my graduation, right? Oh, or the Hatching! But yeah, enjoy the rest of the evening and I can’t keep the Weyrlingmaster waiting!” A’tay turned quickly and scrambled up Xyxyth to his seat, shooing away the firelizards as he went.

Bye, DiDi! I’ll see you soon! Xyxyth danced a little excitedly on the spot, proud of his rider for finally doing something about his mess of emotions; though it felt like he had only made them even more confusing. They’d figure that all out later! He gave Madiquel a little nudge to her shoulder with his nose in parting and headed off, on the ground, to meet with the class.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

“Really?” Madiquel asked, turning to look at Xyxyth curiously; she hadn’t noticed anything odd about his wings, but then, it wasn’t like she was a Weyrlingmaster who knew lots of stuff about the way dragons should and shouldn’t be growing! “Maybe it’ll make him a better flier?” She asked, lifting her eyebrows and smiling. “Then you can win all the gold flights and be Weyrleader,” she teased, green eyes sparkling with mirth and missing the way A’tay seemed to flinch at the comment as the firelizards came charging back to them.

“Me too!” Madiquel chirped, beaming happily as she watched A’tay fumble, tilting her head thoughtfully at him, not sure why he was acting so weird all of a sudden. She blinked, then took the firelizard carving and hugged it to her chest, then blinked quietly when he reached over and took her hand, mumbling about giving her something and not looking at her. She noticed the blush and opened her mouth to ask him what he’d said, when he was suddenly bouncing away from her and rambling about the Hatching.

Madiquel watched him go in complete confusion, feeling slightly put out that she hadn’t been given the chance to answer any of his questions or thank him or anything. Frowning, and pouting slightly, Madiquel lifted her hand in response to Xyxyth’s farewell, and stood awkwardly for several long moments, watching them join up with the other Weyrlings and then take off.

Sighing, Madiquel looked down at the item in her hand, her frown reappearing. A thimble? Completely bewildered, Madiquel called Clover to her, and decided to go and see what Vaera, or maybe Rhaedalyn were up to.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)