World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Talks [R'ana, B'jin]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
Terken had installed himself in one of the swinging seats on R'ana's porch.  R'ana was inside her hut, fussing and dithering a bit.  He had been startled by her decision to invite someone into her hut, even more that it was someone that she barely knew.  It was worse that she had done it on his behalf.  Kela lay out beside him, the canine dozing in a patch of shade, and Terken worked through a pile of mending as he waited for B'jin to show up. 

He already owed R'ana a lot though when he brought it up to her, she shook her head.  He still remembered the day that R'ana had stepped between him and his father and told the bronzerider that he was hers now and if T'rel ever touched him again she would end him.  Since then, R'ana had given him a home, a haven and a buffer between him and his dad.  He was troubled at this plan of hers to both improve his reading skills and keep him off the sands for another clutch. 

It was a good plan, though he worried about the lessons, despite R'ana's assurances that she would teach him differently than his father had tried.  Terken would have normally said it was a waste of time but R'ana's words about him possibly being replaced when they went back North by someone who could keep records had rankled. 

He had worked damn hard for his current life.  He would not hand it over to someone else just because of his difficulties with the written word.  Or because he was expected to Impress a dragon, preferably bronze.  His father had made that perfectly clear.

You should talk to Larrikith.  She's a search dragon.  Maybe she could declare you unable to impress a dragon.  Terken glared at the green and felt her amusement at his glare.  Or not.  He struggled to send her the thought that his father would never listen to a green, even if she was the greatest search dragon ever born and saw Shanith nod and lie back down.

He  knew, and he suspected the green did to, that his father was not R'ana's friend but using her, somehow.  He wished, not for the first time that R'ana could see it.  He had come to value her friendship and mentorship, and didn't want her getting killed by T'rel.  Even now, T'rel had his doubts about his mother's death being an accident.  I know.  Lighter thoughts though.  How about your pet, when is her litter due? 

"Soon.  Very soon."  He gave up on keeping the green out of his head, and spoke to her aloud.  "I'm thinking of letting a few of the pups be adopted instead of sent to guard the herds.  There's plenty of guard dogs.  Really, Kela picked a bad time for her first litter." 

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Inside, R'ana put her hands on her hips and looked around.  Her hut was her haven, her sanctuary from the craziness that was Katila Weyr.  The simple act of inviting B'jin here felt wrong.  R'ana never let anyone into her hut.  Terken had been allowed in from the first day that she had decided he was her fosterling, and Par'a had been here once but other than that, R'ana tended to guard her haven closely. 

Shanith reassured her and she sighed and nodded to herself.  Really though there had been no other place.  She wasn't about to discuss this in the weyrling barracks, his own hut was off limits as her own, and though she was tempted to do this on the porch, she needed to be polite.  She looked out her window at Terken when she heard him talking and smiled a bit as she realized he was talking to Shanith.  At least he wasn't just glaring at her for talking to him.  Usually he did, though her dragon could wear him down eventually. 

He was determined to watch this and to guard her.  Attempts to explain to him that she was older that him and didn't need watching over had resulted in him starting to rattle off every bit of trouble she had gotten into lately, and thus, winning the argument.

R'ana sighed and began straightening her favoured work table.  An array of books and records lay on it, and R'ana began sorting through the records, pulling what she didn't need from the piles and reshelving them until she had just the book she was currently recopying sitting on the table and the rest shelved on the bookshelves that made up the longest wall of her social area.  Rock sculptures were everywhere, the smallest pebble size, the largest fist sized, most shaped into dragons and canines.  She had hung a few pictures alongside the walls, hand drawn pictures of those closest to her.  Terken's face showed, along with Berani, her brother, the son she had left in his care, and Shanith. 

The brush of Shanith's mind against hers had her looking up, and she paused then went to the door, opening it to step out on her porch.  Shanith stood to greet R'ana's guests, the green tired from a day of R'ana keeping her moving.  R'ana offered, "Hello.  Thank you for agreeing to meet me tonight."  She looked at him, then asked, "Have you had anything to eat this night?"

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

Written By: ThistleProse
B’jin could be dense, to the point of often making his friends’ heads hurt, but he was a long way from stupid, and he was well aware that R’ana treated her hut much like he had treated his own. He suspected it was a selective greenrider trait. After all, while it wasn’t exactly common for someone to just march over and invite themselves upon a greenrider, it wasn’t exactly rare either – and he had a feeling their position in life would only get worse with S’kef in charge. He really did want D’ren to pull himself back together and get off his lazy arse. Did he think pretending the word was made of flowers would make it all better? B’jin rolled his eyes. Stupid bronzerider! Larrikith snorted under her breath at the man’s hypocrisy, but made no comment.

At any rate, prior to Talian (and then R’nd, and then Valerian) B’jin had been fiercely possessive of his little hut; now one but his children inside – not even their mother’s or friends – and certainly not any flight competitors! As a result, B’jin knew exactly where R’ana had been standing when she’d offered her somewhat timid invitation. Due to B’jin being almost exclusively a loner, with minimal contact with his fellow greenriders, never mind others, the Harper hadn’t spent overly large amounts of time with R’ana and most of what he knew about her was passing comments made by Par’a. He had nothing against the woman, however, and had agreed to her invitation with a polite nod before excusing himself to go back to his own tasks.

There hadn’t really been any official classes that day; with Krypth clutching the day before most of the Weyr was still buzzing about the eggs now resting on the Sands, and B’jin had preferred to leave the young men he was training with their usual daily requirements and to encourage them to prepare for flying on dragonback. B’jin was more than a little anxious about that. Next thing and he’d be teaching them to between and that was an absolutely horrifying thought! A shiver travelled his spine as the greenrider passed between a couple of huts, Larrikith trotting along behind him poked around cheerfully in his thoughts. She was rather looking forward to teaching them to carry their rider, and had thus far enjoyed her daily flights with the youngsters as they strengthened their wing muscles.

There is Shanith, B’jin interrupted Larrikith’s idle thoughts, causing the dragon to turn her head toward her fellow green and rumble a lazy greeting. Leaving the dragons to do whatever dragons did while their human’s otherwise occupied their time, B’jin approached the porch with a level of reservation as frowning brown eyes studied Terken’s face for a moment before nodding to him in greeting. He had had relatively little to do with the young man before or after he was a part of B’jin’s candidate group before a handful of them Impressed. “Hello, Terken.” B’jin murmured lightly, offering the teen a small smile before his attention was captured by R’ana as she joined them on the porch.

“Yes, thank you.” B’jin smiled, eyes brightening with inner amusement. He’d been unsure of R’ana’s cooking abilities and had decided to err on the safe side by dragging R’nd (as if he’d ever had to drag his lover anywhere) to the dining hall for an evening meal. With neither of them having any capacity to cook, the Hall was where they usually ended up eating – though they didn’t always eat together, it was a growing habit – or the rarer dinners where I’shan would end up cooking. B’jin liked those!

“So,” B’jin said mildly, tilting his head slightly even as he used one hand to brush loose strands of his hair back from his face (he should probably have gotten more trimmed off, but frowny R-nd-eyes and a pouting Amorandii had kept all trimmings minimal. At least the length was tidy and maintained.). The rest was kept pulled back in a leather tie, the ends stopping just past his shoulders.  “How can I help?” He wasn’t completely sure what was wanted of him, and that alone made him slightly nervous. As was his way, he’d brought his guitar, the instrument hooked over one of Larrikith’s ridges. He hadn’t really brought anything else, unsure what the evening was about. If R’ana had explained it to him, it had gone in one ear and out the other.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 750 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Terken watched the arrival, startled they had chosen to walk everywhere.  R'ana tended to avoid flying, strenuously, but he suspected he was one of the few that knew why.  The woman had gotten to be terrified of heights after an incident involving her riding straps and his father saving her life.  Looked like she wasn't the only rider happiest with her feet on the ground. 

The rumble from the other green was quiet and Terken arched his eyebrow at Shanith's bugle of greeting back, the larger green greeting Larrikith with plain joy. 

Footsteps on the ramp leading up to R'ana's porch had him looking up and meeting B'jin's yes for a long moment.  The kindness in them startled him as it always did, and he greeted the green rider quietly.  "Hello, Weyrlingmaster B'jin."  He was careful about respecting his rank.

His blue eyes would light up though when B'jin refused.  R'ana was a good cook, and that meant leftovers!  Leftovers meant that R'ana would send him home with them if he stayed.  He had seen her preparing enough of her ham and potato soup to feed an army earlier and had smelled the bread she had baked to go with it when she had recruited him to help carry tonight's dinner and tomorrow's breakfast back to her hut. 

He was so focused on the thought of leftovers that he missed the next words B'jin spoke, but heard R'ana seeking to reassure him.  Terken, tensed visibly, but went back to his mending, or tried to.  He hated that she needed to ask for help because of him.  Really, he didn't need to learn this now, though as a way to keep him off the sands it would work.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

R'ana caught his unease and tried to reassure him.  "I need another view on a problem I've been having and since you've many turns as a harper and I got searched in the middle of my apprenticeship, I had hoped you would be able to give some advice." 

She had told him, or she thought she had.  With Shanith prancing around her head, and hell bent on making a specific bronze rider pay, she had been so focused on keeping her beast from pulling a stunt that she probably hadn't and forgotten.  "I should have told ou before.  Though, if you could keep Larrikith from providing Shanith prank inspiration, I would appreciate it." 

Shanith tipped her head, and predictably pounced on R'ana's knowledge that Larrikith was good at creating trouble.  R'ana looked to her and reminded her that she owed T'rel her very life, and that he would cry from the mountops they had done it if he got pranked in any way. 

She turned away then, not seeing her dragon's eyes whirling pink with excitement and her starting to speak to Larrikith so quickly that the other green would be hard pressed to keep up!  Oooh!  You can help, I know you can!  You're good at plotting and making mayhem!  T'rel hurt R'ana and B'run and Berani and I want to make him pay and you can help and maybe even make it so I won't get caught! 

Turning to B'jin she spoke.  "Inside might be best."  She opened the door to let him in and headed to the couch.  "I took Terken on as a fosterling a few years back."  She sat and bit her lip debating how to continue then deciding that coming right out with it would be best. 

"He doesn't want to Impress.  Him being from the north, and coming with a rider from southern, he has to stand sooner or later, but I've been trying to help him delay standing so he has time to set up his life for an extended absense just in case.  Even if it wasn't the weyr rule for all males to stand before their 27th year, his father is intending to force him onto the sands."

She sighed.  "I was panicking over it when Krypth showed signs of rising again so soon."  That gold was going to repopulate Pern all by herself it seemed.  "Then I had given Terken a book, and when he returned it, he hadn't read it and instead tried to pull the information in the book from me, since I'd recopied it for him.  Him not reading it made no sense, and I pushed until he told me why." 

She heard Terken shift and looked down, hating but knowing her own attempts to make this right had failed, continued, though she knew that the fact she hated telling B'jin this showed.  "He couldn't read the book, and his writing isn't much better.  I've tried to teach him, but I can't, either he loses patience or I do.  He wants to learn, so the fault isn't with him...So...Shanith reminded me that you've turns of harpering and might have teaching materials I could borrow, recopy and use to elarn how to teach Terken his letters, well enough to keep his own records and be able to manage candidate and weyrling classes."

She looked to him.  "Will you please help me, B'jin?  I won't have long to teach him, I think I can only delay his father forcing him to stand for this clutch before he goes over my head.  As it is, T'rel is saying he will bodily drag Terken onto the sands if he has to or have Berruth drop him in the middle of sands come hatching day.  I hope he won't do the second one, I like Berruth and don't want him to get mauled by Krypth.  Or the first, though I can just make sure Terken doesn't attend the hatching, but he needs to see at least one before he has to stand so I should take him and..."

You're babbling  R'ana shut up and looked down, apologizing for talking poor B'jin's ear off in a soft voice.

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

A miniature frown twitched along the edge of B’jin’s forehead, wondering if R’ana had just insulted him with some quip about him being old hiding under her light words. It didn’t seem like something the woman would do; she always seemed so demure. Of course, that wouldn’t stop someone from getting their quips in when they wanted to, it just meant they learned to be smart about it. B’jin’s lips pursed slightly in anxiety as he over thought her simple statement, and then blinked and tilted his head. “Huh?”

Larrikith was both amused and irritated by her hyper companion, her eyes swirling mildly in a way that displayed both emotions in such a way that her amusement was far more visible than the irked nature the grumpy beast could be known to possess.  The names meant less than nothing to Larrikith, who did not recognise any of them except to realise there were dragonriders involved, and one was the green’s rider. She tilted her head considering Shanith thoughtfully though she reached out playfully to B’jin. She wants me to help her get back at someone. Her voice was amused, and slightly proud.

B’jin’s brown eyes narrowed as he turned to stare toward his dragon. Don’t you dare! Because putting up with Larrikith leading sweet natured dragons like Veeth and Ayyonth into disastrous games wasn’t bad enough, the last thing he needed was her encouraging other greens. Larrikith just laughed at him, turning her gaze with a malicious sparkle back to Shanith. Trouble making was one of her favourite past times, and guiding those less fortunate were the best ways to cause it. B’jin’s lips pursed again, but he followed R’ana into the hut when she led the way within. He had never had particularly good control of Larrikith, and she often did whatever the hell she wanted. B’jin refused to take responsibility for his dragon’s actions, and had been that way ever since he first Impressed; what she did was her issue, and so long as she didn’t kill anyone, he didn’t care. They could deal with the stupid bitch. He could feel Larrikith’s smug attitude rolling off her; she loved that he didn’t even try to rein her in. He never had, and likely never would.

Attention shifted to R’ana as the woman took a seat on the couch and B’jin followed sedately, though he was still frowning slightly as the woman began speaking. His steps came to a stop just before he reached the couch, and B’jin frowned. Finishing the short trip, he made it to the couch and sat down lightly. He let her continue without interruption, but the greenrider’s expression had gone flat, almost cold. This time, when R’ana made a comment about B’jin’s years in the Harper craft, the man’s face hardened, now convinced it was a dig. B’jin did not like being reminded of his age, particularly since he’d become involved with R’nd. The fact that B’jin would see his 50th birthday that year was more than a sore topic; it was a taboo one.

“I can,” B’jin said flatly when R’ana had finished her rambles up with a timid apology, the greenrider still frowning irritably. He had no idea how Terken had managed to wheedle out of standing for so long, but it was quite clear the Harper was less than pleased by such a revelation. The fact that he’d had to put so much effort into keeping Talian off the sands, that the boy had tried to commit suicide, and the whining and begging he’d had to stoop to with D’ren… and this young man had just cruised along under the radar pissed B’jin off. Talian had [/i]so[/i] many more reasons to be taken off the list for Standing. And there he was, stuck with his dumbass brown.

B’jin hated browns. He hated that Talian had ended up with one of the awful creatures, and he hated the way he knew – knew – the horrible beast would taint his precious son with his demonic presence and ruin the sweet boy. Brownriders were bastards, disgusting creatures turned cruel and sadistic by the demented brains of their awful lifemates. B’jin would have been happy if the Plague had wiped every last one of the mud coloured lumps of shit off the planet.

A slow gaze shifted in the direction the young man was located in, before turning back to R’ana with a lip-pursed frown. “If he wishes to learn, why has he not?” B’jin had been responsible for teaching many of the Weyrbrats, and there were other Harpers within the Weyr that regularly taught classes of various youngsters to read and write – the basic requirements for Candidacy, but in B’jin’s opinion, a basic requirement for life. To him, the young man’s lack of education despite being a member of the Weyr for so long indicated that the child didn’t wish to learn. If that was the case, what would the point be in wasting his time and effort in attempting to teach him? He had sullen Weyrlings to deal with, he didn’t need another grumpy and unwilling brat dumped on top of it!

“Why should I help?” B’jin was frank, and his eyebrows arched upward slightly. It wasn’t a demand for some form of payment; it was a demand for a reason. Why should he help her with her self-appointed task of teaching someone that hadn’t bothered to try before now? Why should he care? He had enough of his own worries without adding on hers just because she asked nicely. While it was clear B’jin wasn’t saying no, it was just as clear that he wasn’t about to go out of his way, either.

Heh, you got some bjinattude >> He can be a grumpy prick when he wants xD

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 750 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

The fight when R'ana had found out Terken had lied had been spectacular, for all the quiet woman still considered Terken her own.  It boggled his mind, and was why he had refused pointblank to stay away today when Shanith had informed that she was getting to talk to Larrikith and she was going to make sure Terken's father paid and wasn't that grand?

The young man looked out at the green, knowing from the way she held herself that while she was acting her usual carefree, stupidly energetic, she was trying a mite too hard to be normal Shanith. 

He couldn't listen when R'ana spoke, her voice unable to hide the fear that had underlaid it ever since she had found out that Terken had been lying when he had told her he didn't need to stand for impression.  He still didn't understnad why it was evidently a huge deal.  He stood to slip off the porch only to find his way blocked by a green head. 

No.  You made this mess.  You will not allow my rider to clean it up alone.  The dragon had moved so swiftly he hadn't noticed her even stand.  Shanith continued, her eyes beginning a red whirling.  If you do not tell B'jin the truth right now, I will tell Larrikith.  She butted him at the door and stood her ground, unintentionally making sure that Terken couldn't leave. 

"R'ana?  What does red mean?  In a dragon's eyes?"  It was a stupid question but he had never seen a dragon's eyes whirl red before.  Shanith was so stupid he hadn't thought she could get upset, and Berruth was so placid that Terken had never seen him upset. 

R'ana's answer was almost absent minded and then she left!  Him...alone with B'jin.  More to the point, if Terken didn't clarify things, Shanith would annoy him until he did. 

"Shanith says if I don't talk to you honestly, she'll bug me until I do.  She's so annoying that I don't want to know what it's like to have her put effort into it..."  He looked at B'jin.  "I don't know why you should help R'ana teach me.  I was stupid.  I didn't care to learn to read and write when I had the chance.  I was taught I should pay for my mistakes.  Not learning to read and write and lying to R'ana about standing for clutches when I hadn't are the two biggest.  She should either kick me out or beat some sense into me, but she refuses.  Says she's going to make sure I put both right instead."

He looked down.  "I don't want to stand.  I keep being told dragonriders never hurt their dragons but I see my father push around Berruth by forcing him to fly, and yelling at him when he just can't.  I see R'ana get angry with Shanith though she never hits her or even raises her voice to her.  I don't think I have the self control to not hit my dragonet when they make me angry and I don't know why they behave as they do.  R'ana says reading will teach me that and make better at healing my canines and training them.  That's why I want to learn.  And I'll stand because it will help set my lying to her right."

When R'ana came back and spoke, Terken listened, startled when she lied to B'jin, confusion settling on his features.  Why was she lying to him about her involvement in keeping him off the sands?

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

R'ana triped over herself verbally apologizing for insulting him, becuase she knew he was mad at her for two reasons and she'd understnad the first, but the second she didn't and she was sorry for whatever she did.  The mess was largely unintelligible as she felt bands tighten around her chest.  Shanith reached for her to reassure her, and R'ana Held up a hand in the universal gesture of needing a moment, then forced her thoughts to gather. 

She spoke without thinking.  "My apologies Masterharper.  I mean weyrling master.  I mean..."  She closed her mouth.  "I should shut up while i'm behind, but I don't know how I insulted you and truly didn't mean it.  You are right to be angry with me for keeping Terken off the sands for so long." 

Lying to him tightened the bands, and R'ana looked down unable to continue.  If she couldn't lie to someone she respected but hardly knew, how could she lie to the whole damn weyr about keeping terken off the sands?  How was she going to lie to B'run?  Talian?  It didn't matter.  She had to.  T'rel had her over a barrel.  Either she let Berruth fly Shanith, or she let him push all the blame for Terken not standing off his shoulder and onto her own.

Shanith nudged her rider's mind gently, and stood, breaking off her conversation with Larrikith and, for the moment, stopping playing the idiot green.  My apologies, Larrikith.  R'ana's been prone to panic attacks since Terken's father told her he lied about having already stood last week.  And he's about to run and I can't let him do that.

R'ana pulled herself together as Terken entered the door and spoke of red eyes.  "Anger or lust and she won't rise for another few weeks.  I hope."  R'ana tipped her head, stood and padded out to shanith.  There was quiet, then, "Stop blocking the exit please?  I know it's a good trick Tyrrisath taught you, but you're a better, smarter dragon than he will ever be and you don't need it." 

Shanith couldn't help it, her anger dissolved and she pranced a bit at the praise from R'ana.  Relaxing, R'ana took a moment to make sure she stayed calm by stepping down to lead her back to Larrikith.

R'ana petted Shanith for a moment until the green's eyes were whirling blue, and then sighed and headed back to her hut.  "Gotta keep Terken from doing something stupid.  And Shanith?  Larrikith has permission to nip or claw at you if you annoy her too badly.  Behave!"

Shanith nodded vigorously and R'ana touched her one last time, heading back to the hut.  Adopt him, I said.  It'll be wonderful for him, I said.  He needs love, I said.  He needs it, but that's the last time I ever take in a stray.

Shanith wriggled, rumbling her laughter.  Her rider's penchant for taking in strays was the best thing about her in the dragon's opinion.  But she did have a guest.  Which reminded her...The other dragon looked beautiful in the sun!  You're looking pretty today, Larrikith!  Does yours use lavendar to calm you down too or because he likes it?  R'ana likes lavendar too and uses it on me alot!  She grows it and set aside a small pot of the white kind for B'jin as part of her 'thank you for the time no matter what you say' gifts for him!

R'ana came back and heard the silence after Terken's speech.  Her gait was nervous as she settled, completely unaware that Terken had just contradicted what she was about to say.  She couldn't look B'jin in the eyes and lie to him, and R'ana was one of the worst liars in the weyr.  Her tell of wrapping arms protectively around herself, looking down and rocking a bit was very well known, and it showed now as she spoke. 

"I'm not asking you to help teach him.  It's going to come out that I kept Terken off the sands for 8 years once Krypth's clutch hatches."  Her arms unfolded as she spoke her next bit.  "His father will tell S'kef or J'ver I did that himself and I know S'kef has it in for you already.  I don't want anyone thinking you helped me keep him off the sands.  You and Talian both have too much to lose.  If anyone can make sure Talian turns out to be a happy dragon rider he can be proud of, it's you...and this weyrling bunch is better taught than all the others I've seen.  I just need to borrow teaching materials.  I'll do the rest myself.  This could get nasty...I don't want anyone affected by this but me."

R'ana looked to B'jin appealingly, reaching over for a small stack of three books.  "These are all the teaching materials I have.  Maybe we could work out a trade.  Though the book on weyrling training is yours regardless.  I haven't seen anything like it in Katila's libraries and I won't withhold it if you want it." 

They were recopied, the work fairly fresh from the lack of wear on the books.  The one on weyrling flight training was extensively illustrated, with the illustrations R'ana had added marked, and done in color.  It was one of her better works and she had copied it especially for B'jin.  The other was for a class of the very young, teaching them the basics of music and teaching harpers how to identify signs of musical talent in the young.  The last was just a book with all the teaching ballads written out, though R'ana had illustrated each.

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

The greenrider’s gaze shifted towards the door when Larrikith informed him that something was going on between Shanith and the boy. While Larrikith was perfectly capable of eavesdropping – she was an incredibly empathic dragon, which was why she was so good at Searching – the green wasn’t entirely a rude creature. Just most of the time, and usually when she managed to get more entertainment out of spelunking in someone’s mind than watching the fireworks that exploded without her intervention.

Both of B’jin’s eyebrows arched upward at the question that left Terken’s lips and B’jin’s shocked gaze flickered to look at R’ana. The boy didn’t even know what the basic colours of a dragon’s eye meant?! He probably would have voiced as much, but the woman was off and moving to tend to her dragon and B’jin’s less than pleasant gaze shifted to settle on Terken’s face, the greenrider shuddering visibly at the mention of Tyrrisath and blocking doors… the last time Tyrrisath had blocked doors… B’jin shook his head, focusing on Terken. The boy’s comment would have struck B’jin as funny, in other circumstances, but as his mood was slowly souring the greenrider saw it less as amusing and more as obnoxious.

“I agree with R’ana,” B’jin sniffed. He had never been very approving on beating others; the fact that the man had never lifted his hand to hit anything in his life was the main reason why. Oh, he’d kicked Larrikith in the leg before (often) and he had slapped S’kef around the face once (the man grabbed his arse!) but he’d never hit anything in his life. Usually, the timid greenrider was the one being used as a punching bag. “Making things right is clearly far more of a punishment for you than the typical punishments.”

“Very few people at Katila want to stand, young man, and many of them are very vocal about it. Many of them have been lashed for causing issues, and some of them have attempted to take their own lives or to run away.” B’jin’s voice was distinctly cold now, the usually warm and expressive man scowling angrily. “But they all bow their head and do their duty, and you are not above those young men. You, too, will bow your head and do your duty.” That was the heart of the matter, and B’jin would damned well make sure the sneaky little brat ended up on the sands, and learned his numbers and letters even if he had to have Amorandii teach him. Now there was a thought! Larrikith rumbled a sudden laugh.

“A dragon is your soul mate. You cannot live without one once you have it; they complete you. However, even in your soul mate there is going to be aspects that hit your buttons. No one is perfect, not even a dragon destined to be a part of your life.” Telling the boy his own deep seated dislike for Larrikith was clearly not something that was going to help in the situation, so B’jin opted to speak the words that he had been spoken during his Weyrlinghood days. “People romanticise dragon bonds, Terken. They are not you in a great fat body with wings; they are their own creature, with their own personality.”

A flat look, “I kick Larrikith all the time. She’s a bitch, and she likes to press my buttons. Nevertheless, she knows I love her, and it hardly does any harm to her – the same as I know she loves me, even when she is going out of her way to be a pain in my arse. I highly doubt there is anyone on this planet capable of purposefully setting out to harm their dragon, and if there were, that dragon would go between. They are not stupid creatures, Terken. Even if you are the type to physically take your frustrations out on a dragon, you would never Impress a dragon that wasn’t capable of taking it. They’re not suicidal creatures.”

B’jin’s gaze shifted, startled by R’ana’s voice and wondering when the woman had stepped back into the room. Regardless, he had not said anything that wasn’t known by dragonriders in general and he cared not how much she had or hadn’t heard. Her babbling and muddling of ranks had B’jin scowling irritably, before he just frowned and flopped back against the couch. The woman was giving him a headache! R’ana’s lies might have been obvious to everyone else, but B’jin was so frustrated by the whole ordeal that he completely missed it. He wasn’t all that good at reading people as often as not at any rate, and was an atrocious liar himself.

“The Weyrleader doesn’t bother me,” B’jin replied, speaking honestly. S’kef actually did terrify B’jin, but in the same breath, B’jin was quite sure S’kef was a combination of bored with him and probably too busy in general to come after him. J’ver was hardly a threat, and B’jin had been involved with far scarier greenriders than that slime ball. Without the threat of S’kef breathing down his neck, B’jin was quite sure he’d be fine. It should have occurred to him that the brownrider would target Talian instead, but it didn’t, because B’jin wasn’t quite that up to speed on such things. Even when R’ana mentioned his son, B’jin waved it off with a frown.

“There is nothing S’kef can do that he hasn’t already done.” Perhaps he was revealing more than he wanted to, but everyone at Katila was aware of the lashing the brownrider had brought down upon him, and most would easily assume that was about what he spoke. Most people had caught a glimpse of him after that one flight Larrikith had had not long ago, too, in which Tyrrisath had caught the green. B’jin was still surprised broken ribs had been the worst of it; bastard brownrider.

“I will teach him,” B’jin said firmly, sitting forward and shooting a hard glare at Terken. “And he will learn.” He looked at the books, and finally flashed a reserved smile at R’ana. “I appreciate that.” The materials at Katila were limited, at best. Most of B’jin’s teaching had been a combination of things he had, hadn’t and should have learned during his own weyrlinghood. Considering what a disaster it had been, even thirty turns later B’jin still recalled it with startling clarity. Some things never really left you alone.

Outside, Larrikith settled herself primly in the sun and opted to enjoy the amusing topic changes and conversations that Shanith brought about, the smaller green watching her with amusement. B’jin has an affection for lavender, Larrikith hedged; it certainly wouldn’t do to tell another that the reason B’jin so strongly favoured the plant was because of his allergy to numbweed. Lavender provided an antiseptic and a quantity of other medical properties that he couldn’t get in some cases. The fact that he enjoyed the scent immensely was a bonus.

B’jin has a garden too! she offered, eyes swirling in sudden delight at that little shared tidbit. He makes oil, and he likes to eat it but he’s not a very good cook so he usually trades some of the kitchen workers for specialty foods. A soft rumbling laugh was issued at the end of Shanith’s statement and Larrikith shook her head slightly B’jin does that, she said, amused. He didn’t do it often, and usually his gifts were made up of small artistic drawings, but it wasn’t completely unknown for him to spring a gift on someone unsuspecting – Mostly R’nd; the oblivious idiots!

OOC: … that’s long..! Hopefully I didn’t slaughter the order of events too much.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Terken met level brown eyes, watching R'ana lean against a wall, looking impassive.  Something that might have been relief slid across her face and he wondered not for the first time why she was so terrified of the weyrleader. 

As far as the young man knew, she was beneath the man's notice.  Yet all he had to do was look at her and she stepped back to hide in the shadows.  It was yet another mystery, yet another thing his foster mother was trying to hide from him.

Blinking at B'jin's words, he looked to R'ana almost pleadingly.  She came over, moving with the stiffness that showed she was nervy. 

She moved and he heard the faint clicks of her infamous worry beads.  When she spoke, her voice was even.  "Alright.  I would normally say if he gives you any trouble to tell me, but I suspect you can handle it better than I can anywyas.  But if I can do anything to help with this or anything else let me know?  I didn't want to put you out."

Terken tried to object and R'ana shook her head.  "I'm not the best for this, Terken.  I'm a one trick pony.  I recopy records and books, and add new illustrations.  That's it.  I never learned how to teach, and never truly expected to rise past junior journeyman in the hall.  I'm willing to learn to teach but there's only so far I can take you."  She gripped his hand.  It wasn't as reassuring to Terken as he felt it would be. 

He trusted R'ana...mostly...Not to resort to hitting him or yelling.  B'jin was an unknown quantity.  Seeing his fear R'ana spoke quietly.  "You know why I trust him not to yell at you or hit you?  Besides that he doesn't do that?"

Terken nodded a bit.  "You know how Berani doesn't talk yet?  Well, one of the creche workers was angry with her about it, and he stepped in.  I'm not sure what he said to them but that worker's left my daughter alone ever since.  And she just about worships him, follows him around the creche when he goes there.  Berani's not speaking yet, but she's not stupid.  She wouldn't do that if he had ever raised his voice to her or swatted at her."

Terken thought about the story, and R'ana said simply, "Give him a chance."

The converstation turned as Terken debated it in his own mind, the young man not paying attention until Kela came in and laid her head on his lap.  He reached down to scratch silky ears, and met her eyes.  She lifted a heavy paw, placed it on his knee and waved her tail and he sighed and slid down to hug her.

"Alright."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Shanith relaxed in the sun, slowly forgetting whatever it was that had her agitated, watching Larrikith settle with a primness and class the long green knew she could only emulate, never posess. 

The green replied quietly, I know!  R'ana uses it alot on me.  The dragon flexed her wing, trying to scratch an itch without moving too much.  She didn't want R'ana to figure out she was itchy because the woman would bathe her and insist she held still while she rubbed oil everywhere and Shanith would rather fly!  Or walk!  Or do anything else!

Shanith continued quietly.  R'ana grows all her own herbs and does most of her cooking.  The dining hall staff don't like her too much.  I kinda had a habit of stealing pies when they put them within reaching distance to cool, and they got mad at her about it.  Lucky everyone says she's a good cook!  She smokes her own meat too, there!  Shanith jabbed her tail at the smokehouse R'ana'd set up in her yard.  She thought.  She'd probably be happy to trade with yours for different oils.  I know she makes her own oils, teas and rubs, but she's always interested in learning something new.  She loves givign gifts, and often gifts people oils and balms for bruises, or stone sculptures.

The canines nosed Larrikith giving a small lick, lifted her head and looked towards the house, then trotted inside.  Shanith watched her go.  Do you think the canines can understand us?  R'ana doubts it but Kela seems to act like she can at times.

Inside, R'ana plopped down warily, settling with an unnessecary amount of primness.  She watched Terken and spoke softly to him.  "Standing won't be so bad, and even if you impress you'll be able to continue working with your canines.  It won't be the end of your life unless you let it be.  And learning to use what's between your ears only hurts a little...though we need to work on your memory.  I know I've told you about dragon eyes colors multiple times."  She probably deserved the glare she got in reply.  She looked down and spoke quietly again after dealing with Terken. 

"Books here are lacking.  I kinda cheated and bribed and begged everyone going north that was willing to bring me back anything they could find.  When D'ren was...in charge, I dreamed of building a library, a place where people could go to learn and read and...Well I don't think it's going to happen now.  You couldn't pay me enough to make S'kef notice I exist before I absolutely must." 

She looked down.  "It's kinda silly, I don't think many here like to read recreationally anyways."  She tried to smile and looked down finding she couldn't quite.

Terken intrrupted her train of thought and she looked to him, for a moment pride touching her eyes.  "I'm glad  I won't have to drag you into lessons kicking and screaming.  Thank you."

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

For the most part, B’jin watched the interactions between the woman and her foster child without much more than a blank expression, not really listening to their conversation. Despite that, however, he quickly picked up on the implications of him hitting, and brown eyes opened quite wide, before an irritable and terribly insulted scowl formed on his features and he sat back stiffly, arms folded over his chest; quite clearly sulking grumpily through R’ana’s little story.

A dry look was flicked sideways at R’ana as she promised Terken that Impressing ‘wouldn’t be that bad’, the older greenrider wondering for a moment if she were delirious. Of course, pointing out that Impressing sucked would hardly attain the woman’s goals, and if the boy were smart, he would Impress something other than a green. Life was much easier in general for the men of other colours! The colour blue was growing on B’jin, but he still – and likely always would – detest browns and their riders; bronzeriders were, for the most part, a safe beacon to hide behind when needed. A shield he had not needed to invest in so much since his friendships with R’nd and Valerian had grown strong, but likely something he would be wise to work on once more. A greenrider could never have enough shields.

“I have assorted items stowed away,” B’jin confided with a slightly quirky smile. Searching had been a fabulous opportunity to stock up on items that most of the Katilan population didn’t have – and often couldn’t get. He had made more than a few souvenir trades that had resulted well for the greenrider, as well as allowing him to gift fun and rare birthday presents or random gifts. His stocks were running low, but his artistic talents would never be lacking, and B’jin offered Terken a light smile.

“I am still a harper, far more than I will ever be a dragonrider. Impressing need hardly ruin your life.” Though, of course, it would still likely do its best; it was the moment where B’jin remembered he would be old and wrinkled and grey – if not near dead – by now where it not for Larrikith that he remembered to be thankful for her presence. He could be a Harper for a good fifty or sixty turns longer with her tagging along than he ever would have had chance to be without her. Larrikith’s dry snort of amusement filled his mind for a few moments.

An amused look was given to R’ana at her mumbled comment. “I think you’d be surprised,” he tossed her a light wink. “I think a lot of them cover it up like it’s a sin, but more of them have books under their pillows than you would think.” Having woken up in more beds than he would care to admit (before Larrikith’s delightful affection for Ayyonth came into play) B’jin was pretty sure he knew something on the matter. Of course, a lot of the Katilan’s were sketchily educated, and reading was hardly an encouraged occupation, particularly when there were buildings to rebuild or dragon flights to take part in. But he’d seen them, hidden but  not nearly dusty.

Larrikith, distracted by Shanith’s excited babbling, didn’t notice the various canines that had surrounded her until she was being licked, the green dragon hissing, startled, as she sprung to her feet and backed away, wings slightly extended to make her already round form more threatening. While not frightened of the creatures themselves, they had certainly startled her and Larrikith had never actively spent time around canines. They were strange creatures and in that instant, the dragon decided quite firmly that she did not like them very much. A curious pup was hissed at threateningly, Larrikith snorting when it got the hint and got out of her face.

The green dragon rustled her wings, less than pleased by the little ordeal and more than a little ruffled. Those creatures are disgusting. Her words were a statement, and quite clearly not interested in any form of championing from Shanith. Snorting again, Larrikith settled down very primly, flicking her tail around her and turning to look at her fellow green. And it stinks. How could the other dragon stand to be around them so regularly?!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

And she'd pissed off B'jin.  Again.  R'ana wished she wasn't so good at doing that.  Terken had gone quiet and she reached for him, patting his shoulder gently and wishing she could keep him off the sands.  She hated seeing him so unhappy. 

She just prayed he impressed a color that wasn't green.  R'ana loved Shanith, but even she knew of the limitations of being a greenrider.  It meant that she couldn't even choose who she slept with.  Terken wanted freedom, and any other color would give him the best shot at that.

She spoke quietly.  "You'll always be a beast crafter.  Like B'jin's a harper and Talian a healer.  You'll have your life still."  She looked to him.  "I'm only a green rider, but I'll move mountains if I have to so you can keep your life.  You won't lose your canines."  She might not understand his desire to always put them first, but she could respect it.  "It's part of why you need to learn to read and write.  When we go north again, you might even be able to get honorary rank in the Hall." 

She let Terken think on that and spoke softly to B'jin.  "Searching?  You must have a wonderful collection of Northern stuff.  I'd heard you were the person to go to for that."  Something flickered over her face and she looked down.  "I hope we see the north again soon.  I can't wait for Berani to see snow."  Her daughter was still very young and R'ana wanted her to have advantages that might be doable up north.  Here she'd only be seen as future breeding stock. 

Lips curved softly.  "I wouldn't know but I would hope so.  Reading is such a wonderful way to learn and see new things that everyone should do it.  Why I read..."  She ranbled a bit, warmth touching her features and for a moment it was plain why hse'd been at the Harper Hall at one time.  Knowledge...R'ana loved it.

An image shot from Shanith to Larrikith without her being aware of sending it.  Kela and a larger canine defending R'ana and Terken from a feline.  She spoke quietly to the other dragon.  They have their own charms and...BERANI!  Inside, R'ana winced as her headache spiked hard enough to nearly bring tears to her eyes and rubbed her temple.  She sighed, and took a sip of the fellis laced tea she kept on her person nearly all the time.  "Shanith.  No need to shout."

Then she realized what her dragon had shouted and turned the the window as Shanith sat up, eyes whirling angry red.  R'ana shot out the door, Terken standing too.  The green rider was outside before she was aware of moving, running into a wall on her way there and not even noticing.  By the time she had reacted and got outside, Shanith was curled protectively around Berani, hissing at the person who had brought her. 

Sighing, R'ana began to work out what had happened.  Shanith clarified things for her, the images from dragon to rider.  A game of hide and seek where Berani had accidentally gotten locked in a closet until a creche worker had found her, but now she wouldn't stop crying.  R'ana got her green to uncurl and picked up her daughter, wrapping her up in a hug. 

She sat down on the spot, rubbing her daughter's back and ignoring the fact the worker was slinking away.  She spoke to her softly, voice low, ignoring everything else except her daughter.  When Berani had sobbed herself to sleep, R'ana carrried her to bed, barely noticing B'jin had left until after Berani was settled in the rider's own bed with R'ana stretched out beside her. 

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)