World of Pern
[G] [P] 743.08.15| You Signed Up For This - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Telgar Weyr Boundaries (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=109)
+--- Forum: Telgar Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=118)
+--- Thread: [G] [P] 743.08.15| You Signed Up For This (/showthread.php?tid=5297)

743.08.15| You Signed Up For This - Ch'es - 16.Aug.22

Other than the obvious difference in smell, Ch'es found the task of emptying chamber pots and cleaning the barracks bathrooms to be fairly similar to mucking stalls. He knew it was meant to be a punishment for his discovered midnight trip to the lake with Pardrith, but the freckled teen found the manual labor to be rewarding on some level. It was satisfying to see a mess become manageable and so obviously improved.

Unlike many of his similarly punished classmates for transgressions of their own, Ch'es made no complaint. Of course, he had no voice to do so anyway, but Pardrith was always quite happy to voice his boy's concerns whether it was wanted or not. But this time, the dark bronze dragon played lazily with one of his siblings, batting an oversized ball back and forth, as he watched over his boy protectively. Though the dragon had been encouraged to play outside by attendants and even bribed with snacks, the hatchling chose to remain close. It was due to his desire to swim in the baths - since nighttime lake swimming was so frowned upon - that landed his boy in trouble.

Together, with another classmate, Ch'es grunted as he helped heave another chamber pot into the oversized one just outside the barracks. The slop and splash encouraged a hasty retreat away each time. Finally, the pots had all been emptied, and now came the equally pleasant task of scrubbing them down.

Absorbed in his task, it wasn't until Pardrith called for his attention multiple times that he realized one of his classmates had been speaking to him. Heaving a long-suffering sigh, Pardrith looked at his boy's classmate. He didn't hear you, the hatchling said, encouraging the other to repeat his question now that Ch'es was actually listening.

RE: 743.08.15| You Signed Up For This - M'kos - 30.Aug.22

This was hell. This was absolute hell. All because Viverrith decided to play in the store room while M’kos was asleep and discovered the water barrels. And that sneaky trip down towards the baths–We didn’t even get to play in them! the green grumbled. I heard there’s an even BIGGER bath the older riders get to use. We should try to find it!

“And have to clean more slop like this when we get caught again? No thank you.” M’kos nipped that idea in the bud and did his best not to gag as they emptied the last pot. Viverrith heaved a sigh and turned her attention back to Pardrith and the ball. Looking over the–thankfully now empty–pots with dismay, he reluctantly grabbed a scrub brush of his own.

He nattered away, complaints at first, then just random nonsense, figuring the other weyrling was just ignoring him until the bronze spoke up and startled him. “O-oh. I mean, it was mostly just… I didn’t need a…” M’kos sighed, unsure where to begin explaining the concept of a hypothetical question to a baby dragon. “I’d said, ‘this is the worst, isn’t it?’” He repeated. “Cleaning chamber pots. At least this wasn’t something we had to worry about on ships, usually. How can you stand it?”

RE: 743.08.15| You Signed Up For This - Ch'es - 12.Sep.22

Ch'es cocked his head as his classmate stumbled over his words in an effort to explain himself before finally repeating his question. The freckled hunter glanced around at their work, actually feeling quite satisfied with the work. Not that he enjoyed the smell of shit and piss, but the cleaning of it was a mindless task that was rewarding to him. It brought back the feeling of hours spent curing hides. Others would consider that task equally disgusting, smothered in oil and prickled by short furs that splintered and stuck in the hands until they were nearly bleeding.

His mind goes elsewhere, Pardrith answered for him as Ch'es was clearly not going to formulate a response himself. His boy was still a bit in that headspace where not much else could penetrate.

You make me sound so brainless, Ch'es complained with a frown.

No, I don't, the dragonet protested. You're just not paying attention to much else when you're working.

It rankled to realize Pardrith was right. Before being brought to the Weyr, Ch'es had never had the opportunity to simply stop paying attention to what was going on around him. On his own, danger could lurk behind every bush in Lemos. But here, there were so many eyes, so many barriers keeping them safe. He simply took advantage of not having to waste energy when he didn't need to.

Pardrith tilted his head with confusion but translated to the other boy word-for-word what Ch'es suggested. If you mix camphor with eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil, rub it on your top lip and the smell won't bother you so much. Knowing quite well that his boy considered himself uneducated, the dragonet was interested to know how he'd come to that conclusion.

My dad taught me when I was little. We would gather laurel branches and someone in town would roast them and gather camphor from them. I can't remember how it all worked, but we would get some of the camphor in return.

Pardrith shared his boy's answer with M'kos while Ch'es wondered if Sironar would be able to source some of the ingredients on his hikes. He'd have to send Chirp with a letter to him asking.