World of Pern
[D] Everything's Coming Up Dragons - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: OOC (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Character Development (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+---- Forum: Character Diaries (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=159)
+---- Thread: [D] Everything's Coming Up Dragons (/showthread.php?tid=4689)

Everything's Coming Up Dragons - Elloren - 19.Oct.20

Benden Weyr
Candidate Barracks
A New Journal For A New Place

I am officially a Candidate, which means my brother is going to bet on who gets Impressed first. He'd bet on rain coming when it's a clear day, though. I think I would rather he Impressed first if it came down to it. He's in more of a hurry than I am.

The barracks is still coming together but I have a nice bunk and there's always something that wants doing. I don't think it'll be hard to find something to do as they'll be putting us through it soon enough. I've already started on my Candidate robe and that won't take long, I mean it's pretty basic. I'm glad I went to Gather and snapped up some white fabric and some furs as well as some necessaries.

I've had my trunk open for a while sorting through things and Arrow's stolen my pillow and is using my covers for a blanket. Sometimes I think he thinks he's a person and not a firelizard at all.

RE: Everything's Coming Up Dragons - Elloren - 26.Oct.20

Benden Weyr
Candidate Barracks
Knitting

There is something to be said for having a project that helps you think and focus like knitting. I have done a great deal of memorization of late and going over it in my head while I knit myself a sweater seems like the perfect thing to me. I'm cable knitting, which will made a lovely pattern, and going through all the major and minor holds. It keeps up a nice knitting rhythm, I find. When the candle gets low and I suppose it's lights out.

Honestly, we worked so hard today I almost didn't get out my skeins. I don't mind the work at all.

Telgar Hatching - Elloren - 31.Oct.20

Telgar Barracks
9pm

There's always a sense of supreme suspense when a clutch is about to hatch. I can't say who will Impress and who will not but all of us who have come to Telgar for this Hatching live in hope that our dragons are out there. I know if I Impress I'd eventually like to move back to Benden - and that's anywhere, not just because Telgar's so cold.

I don't mind the cold really. It's the heat that does it for me. I'm pretty sure that if I Impressed at Ista my skin would match my hair in short order. There's nothing like getting a bad sunburn because you don't brown up like other people. Even my scalp has issues!

Well, it's lights out for me and mine, here. Hopefully, we'll be completely surprised at some point, here. I would think being woke up by the whole compliment of the Weyr's dragons would be an incredible experience.

RE: Everything's Coming Up Dragons - Elloren - 16.Feb.21

Benden

I come back to Benden with the thrill of another Hatching under my belt. It was marvellous and honestly, I think there are things I need to change about how I approach the world and how I let it approach me. I need to let go of how tall I am and do something with it.

Maybe I could work on something physical? It's not like I'm weak and working with the runners made me pretty strong. I've been doing my exercises, running every day, and well, I can't be just about the mending circle or reserved my whole life. What if my dragon one day sees I'm weak and just betweens at first look?

No. I'm going to make myself the best I can be. I'll take up archery, I think, and I already knife fight better than either of my brothers -- not that it'll do me any good since that sort of violence isn't commonplace. I mean, it taught me footwork and stability and I have fabulous eye-hand coordination, which most people mightn't see coming. But I'm also not going to be tussling around in the dirt like a slighted lad.

Archery. Da taught me the basics ages ago, so I'll just have to polish up on that and get better at it myself. It's a decent thing to take up, useful for hunting, which I'm not terrible at either. I like the idea of being able to shoot runnerback, though that means I have to be a very good shot stationary.

I best get to it.

I'm stronger than I know I am and I pick up skills quickly. I know this about myself, I just have to be confident. And I don't need a dragon to be confident. I have to be confident for that dragon in the first place!

Benden

Before I left Fort, I helped oil Aederyn's lifemate, little Jenath with her overlarge wings. And by help, it was just squeezing out oil from the cloth after dipping it in. But it takes a lot of effort to do it and I think it helped Aederyn out some. Honestly, I wish Candidates were assigned to help out new Weyrlings like that. It's so difficult to do that on your own and still sleep, you know?

It would also give Candidates a glimpse into exactly what they'd get into if they Impressed. It's the first few weeks of life that really need help, once everything begins to settle, well, things get better real quick --especially when the dragonets can feed themselves and it's more of a once to twice of a week thing.

I know it's messy and dragon farts stink but it's all part of being a dragonrider. I'm alright with the glimpse I got but I wish we could help more!