World of Pern
[G] [C] 739.01.03 | Until They Hatch - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Telgar Weyr Boundaries (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=109)
+--- Forum: Telgar Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=118)
+--- Thread: [G] [C] 739.01.03 | Until They Hatch (/showthread.php?tid=3802)

739.01.03 | Until They Hatch - M'dox - 01.Mar.18

Riquarth had not been expecting the addition of a firelizard to his and M’dox’s weyr, but here they were. His young rider had bolted back to their weyr after being gifted the tiny egg by Indivara, and immediately begun setting up a tiny nest for it. He spent most of the next few days keeping an eye on it, making sure it was warm enough, that there was some food on hand, and that it hadn’t started hatching yet. M’dox even used the egg as an excuse to avoid most of the Turn’s End celebrations, despite Riquarth’s encouragement to attend, have fun, make friends, that he would make sure to watch the egg while M’dox went out. Riquarth wasn’t pleased that M’dox had continued to refuse and stay in the weyr, but he had secured a promise to attend the next event he was invited to, and Riquarth fully intended to hold him to the promise, even if he had to pick him up and drag him out.

Despite his exasperation that M’dox insisted on avoiding other people, Riquarth had to grudgingly admit that the little firelizard wasn’t a waste of space. From the moment the egg started moving M’dox was enamored with the thing, who turned out to be the tiniest, runtiest little green firelizard Riquarth had ever seen. When the brown pointed out how silly and frivolous firelizards could be, M’dox only laughed, smiled fondly at the hatchling, and named her Frivolity. Even Riquarth, with as dubious as he was about the whole situation, had to be amused by the choice.

And besides, it’s not as if his rider’s devotion to him had slackened at all. Riquarth knew he was still M’dox’s priority, as M’dox was his, forever and always. They had just been joined by a tiny, shrieking firelizard. Riquarth would deal, because she made M’dox happy. Maybe once she was older he could get Frivolity in on his attempts to get M’dox out and about more. It was worth a try, at least, though he wasn’t sure how much she’d be able to understand.

Of course, because of what M’dox was getting out of the gifted firelizard, Riquarth felt a need to thank the gifter. M’dox certainly wasn’t going to do it himself. Willingly go visit Indivara? Riquarth knew how to pick his battles, and that was not one he would win anytime soon. So he took it upon himself to show their appreciation.

Venseth, Riquarth said, sending out his mindvoice to Indivara’s dragon, The egg your rider gave mine hatched. He adores the thing. I thank you and your rider for the gift. If there is ever anything you could use my help on, I encourage you to reach out.

RE: 739.01.03 | Until They Hatch - V'ra - 27.Mar.18

Venseth looked up, startled, when he felt the touch of another dragon, tilting his head at the uncommonly felt presence. Thank you for the update, Venseth said mildly, his voice low and a toss between amused and bored. You are welcome, he added, though he made no promises on reaching out to Riquarth should they need it. Mostly because he knew Indivara would likely never take them up, would probably be pissed at the implications and well, Venseth was just as proud as Indivara, in his own way.

Yawning lazily, Venseth wriggled and flopped onto his side, batting playfully at Venseth’s nose with one front paw, reaching out curiously to see what Indivara was up to – or not, as she was apparently fast asleep. Venseth amused himself by poking at her mentally until the girl rolled over and grumbled under her breath. What do you want, Indivara demanded, rubbing her eyes lazily and yawning herself. I thought you’d like to know that egg Hatched, he said cheerfully, knowing Indivara would have no idea what he was talking about. She didn’t.

The one you gave that brownrider, Venseth explained, laughing as he poked at Veeth again playfully, peering through Indivara’s eyes to see what was going on. The girl was half sprawled across V’ler and scowling towards the dragon’s ledge. Venseth laughed more, pissing Indivara off further as she scolded him and rolled over to go back to sleep, even though she was awake now and no longer tired.

My rider is thrilled by your good news, Venseth sent to Riquarth, his voice filled with laughter that clearly belied the fact that he was lying blatantly.