World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Just Walk Me Through It [Talian]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Aparicus had learned long ago that with her poorly healed fingers many tasks could prove to be a little more difficult than others.  Her grip was not as strong as most people because of her once-broken fingers either so when it came to harvesting roots in her little spice garden, she had made a habit of bringing a knife with her.  She’d dig around the part of the root she wanted, then cut it out of the hole rather than pulling it out like her teacher had been able to long ago.

It was one of the ginger plants she was harvesting today as the kitchens had gotten low on the spice and while not often used, one or two roots went a long way.  It was meant to be a quick task that she could do before heading back to the lake for her assigned chore of fishing.  THAT was another task difficult for her hands.  She’d grown up near the coast in her little cothold, but it didn’t make it any easier to hold a knife to clean the fish she’d caught, or to bait her hook when her fingers didn’t always bend as needed.

Her task fishing would have to be put on hold, however, as she cried out.  She’d had a root in her lap that she had been cutting off the unneeded little roots to keep just the bulb when the knife slipped.  Apparently the kitchens had recently sharpened their knives because it cut too easily through her skirt to leave a small crimson trail along her thigh, just above her knee.  Pressing her lips firmly together against the pain, she stood and stumbled over to a nearby watering bucket.  Shards, it hurt!

Finding a handkerchief in her pocket, she dipped it in the water before hiking up one side of her long skirt and washed the cut clean despite the tears that now blurred her vision.  Once she was sure she could see the cut clearly, she frowned.  It was deep… How sharp did they need a knife!  Honestly!  Chewing her lip she debated with herself.  She could wrap it and hope that the bleeding stopped… but she’d seen enough cuts to know that while this one was short, it could very well need stitches to help it heal.  She hadn’t needle on her, nor did she know if some of Jisralna’s thread would be appropriate for a cut.

She’d need to go to the healers for proper supplies.  Proper supplies and to be talked through doing it herself.  After two turns rooming with Jisralna, she could still barely do a straight stitch, but she was confident enough she could at least do an adequate job here to help it heal if there was numbweed involved.  Decided, she pushed to her feet and was thankful for the first time how close the Healer’s Hall was to the Kitchens and thus the Spice Garden.  She’d only need to make her way around the building and across the square. 

Letting her skirts fall back into place, she carefully pressed her handkerchief to the cut and did a half bent over limp across the way.  She felt ridiculous and was confident a she felt strange looks turned her way, but she ignored them.  She knew enough to know it was important to not loose blood everywhere and the less blood she lost on the way the less of a fuss everyone would make over it.  Hobbling into the Healer Hall, she was relieved to find Master Talian just inside.  Unsure if he was busy with something or not, she hesitated before calling out to him.

“Master Talian… If you have a moment, I think I need to borrow some numbweed and stitching supplies.”  Oh how her leg burned.  She hoped she’d be able to sit while she did what needed to be done.  Standing was painful, though at least now she wasn’t still hobbling across the way.  Wiping another escaped tear away, she waited patiently.  After all, healers were busy folk and if he was busy she’d have to wait anyways.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
Talian wasn't busy. He was almost never busy. Katila was the land of 'boring', always stuck in one place with no dicernable different between one day and another. Talian was merely loitering, his mind spinning in ten different directions at once as he went through a list of ideas concerning his latest project. B'jin had given Talian a wonderful idea for a way to fill his time, but the healer was quickly learning why so little knowledge on that particular subject already existed. A numbweed allergy? After three months, the master healer had determined beyond reasonable doubt that it was incurable.

'Incurable' meant he would have to find another way. Instead of curing the allergy, he would simply try to develop an alternative. The young man was pacing through the hall that day, his nose firmly locked in a book. It was his second book that day. Of course, he'd already read everything that this damn place had to offer, but it couldn't hurt to read it again...even though to this day, he'd never actually forgotten something he'd read.

It was worth a shot, right?

Oh, someone was calling his name. Talian slammed the book shut and turned towards her, expression brightening one shade. His focused, largely soulless reading face faded in exchange for just a hint of doctor-like concern. "Hello, miss. Can I help you?"

He frowned at her actual request. He reached for the white headband that always hung around his neck and slowly lifted it, tying it into place as his eyes wandered to the obvious wound site. "I'm afraid I can't do that. Unless you have medical training, that is. Amateurs don't have any business stitching themselves," he said, eyes locked firmly on her bloodied thigh. "Would you mind coming with me?"

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Apari had paled a little as the healer declined his request with the comment of medical training.  She wondered briefly now many of her own wounds she had wrapped and hoped they wouldn’t become infected at the cothold.  It was easily brushed away though – he had a point.  She could not deny that she’d never been trained in anything of the medical sort beyond a few odd and end plant uses.  Even then, she didn’t know how to prepare the plants for medicine – she only knew how to dry them or keep them for cooking.

Hanging her head, she nodded that she’d follow and limped along into another room.  “I really don’t mind doing it myself.”  She said softly as she followed him.  She had a great respect for healers, they knew so much and could help people greatly.  But she also had that fear of being touched, which often brought her to the healers for simple wraps and numbweed when she was hurt, not exactly explaining that it was for herself when she came.  This… was a little harder to hide.

“You see, my bunkmate stitches and I’ve been practicing.  Even if I make a mess of it, nobody will see, the skirt will hide it.”  She offered, attempting to be helpful.  Really, all she needed was whatever they stitched with and a needle since she wasn’t sure if basic thread was appropriate.  He didn’t need to make a fuss over her… and he certainly didn’t need to touch anything.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian frowned, his smooth face falling into a displeased and concerned expression. He'd never been skilled at hiding his emotions. "I'm afraid that's not acceptable," he said softly,  keeping his voice low and steady in an effort to soothe her. He'd been informed of her phobia. He'd never had to treat a person with such a pronounced phobia of physical contact, but he was fairly certain he could deal with it. It would be a challenge, something he was sorely lacking in his life these days!

The healer stepped forward slowly, discreetly raising both hands to show that he was unarmed and meant her no harm. "Please," he said gently, eyes widening in a kind appeal to the skittish young woman. "Come with me. I won't harm you, and I won't do anything without your permission." He didn't specify touching, if only for the sake of her privacy. He knew most of the infirmary staff would be aware of it, but he didn't want to call unneeded attention to it and embarrass or frighten her. He subtly motioned for a gawking nurse to move along. Shards, the staff here was incompetent...

"Come along. I'll get you some numbweed. You can apply it yourself," he coaxed. Then, in a moment of cunning, he reached into his pocket and produced a cinnamon stick. He'd been keeping them on hand lately, Apari's last gesture of kindness proving to him just how amazing they were to keep on his person. One never knew when one would need some cinnamon for some klah! He idly slid the stick in his mouth and smiled encouragingly.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Aparicus couldn’t help but wince visibly as the healer told her that it was unacceptable for her to practice her stitching on her own leg.  Apari knew it made sense not to let her do it herself, but her fear wouldn’t allow her to keep from trying to coax him to that end none-the-less.  If it had been anyone else, she’d have quietly coaxed them to let a healer help them.  She knew she would have.  Her high respect for healers was screaming at her to be sensible and trust the man who had more training than she’d ever hope to receive in her own craft.  Her phobia, however, screamed louder.

She saw clearly that his hands were empty when he showed them, but it didn’t stop her from taking a single step back as he slowly advanced on her.  It wasn’t until he promised to do nothing without her permission followed by the comment that she could apply the numbweed herself that she decided to follow.  Her leg was burning and even if she ended up leaving here without the stitches she thought she needed, she could at least ease the pain with the numbweed he was offering.

As she followed him, abet slowly, she also didn’t fail to notice the stick of cinnamon he pulled from his pocket to slip into his mouth with a smile.  The gesture did work to ease the frown on her face and even bring one corner of her mouth up in a slight smile.  “Okay.”  She said, agreeing that she’d put the numbweed on herself after following him.  The cinnamon stick reminded her of the last kind gesture the Master Healer had done for her, delivering the flowers to the young man named Sanderon.  He hadn’t needed to do that kind gesture, but he had and she’d gifted him the sticks as a thank you.

Surely the man would continue to be kind hearted and help her.  It gave her hope.  He’d been kind before, perhaps with just a little more coaxing he’d be kind enough to walk her through the stitching instead of cruelly insisting of doing them himself.

“You still have the sticks I gave you.”  She said with a soft smile as she found herself lead to a smaller room with several objects, most notably the bed meant to be for a doctor’s patient.  She hesitated again until she watched him set the jar of numbweed on the bed and back away from it.  Nodding her thanks, she moved to the bed herself when there was room and carefully sat herself on the edge.  It was with shaky hands that she raised her skirt so high and for a brief moment she had to remind herself that the man before her was a Healer and not another sort of man.

Finally getting the edge of the skirt high enough to expose just the one knee with it’s cut a short distance above it, she settled the cloth so it wouldn’t fall back down before picking up the Jar of numbweed and fumbled with the top for a moment before it opened.  She couldn’t help but wince again as she touched the numbweed to her skin, first around the cut then directly on it with light fingers.  She didn’t like pain and knew her own fingers could be clumsy, but it was clear that she’d at least applied numbweed to herself before.

“If you run low on the cinnamon sticks, you just need to let me know and I’ll be glad to get you more.”  She said softly as she worked.  Closing the lid on the jar once more, she wiped her now numb fingers on her already ruined skirt before looking back up at the doctor, this time widening her own eyes in an appeal for him to give in.  “Perhaps you could simply walk me through the stitching… I’m sure it’d only take a few…  And I could ask for no better teacher.”  She offered, again trying to be helpful to both ease her own pounding heart as well as the Healer’s obvious dislike for letting her do it herself.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

It was a shame Talian didn't know much about her past. It would have helped him understand how best to treat her. He could read the signs of trauma on her face and in her body language, all so delicately but transparently covered up by a gentle voice and timid smile. He had his own facade, a cold indifference burned in him by resignation. Had he known more about what which they shared, rather than that which was different, his face would and smiled and his heart would have frowned.

As it stood, he knew very little about her and was unsure how to care for her. He'd read enough books about patients like this, but as he'd pointed out during his work on Sanderon, he was no mind healer. Even so, as he was more qualified than anyone else, the task fell to him. He patiently led her to his preferred exam room, mentally grasping for ideas concerning her phobia. He needed to be the one to stitch her. Shards, he was impressed with her ability to conduct herself so well with that wound. She seemed so fragile, and it must have been painful.

Reluctantly, he moved to his cabinet and sorted through various herbs while she applied the numbweed. "This is my last one, actually," he said, shifting the cinnamon stick to the other side of his mouth as he spoke. "They've been excellent. I like extra cinnamon in my klah" he said, making idle conversation as he prepared the same special fellis mixture he'd used on B'jin and I'shan on New Turn's  Eve.

He called for some boiling water. Someone in the hallway (he couldn't bother to look and see who) took off to fetch it for him, leaving him alone with his patient.

"I'm sorry," he murmured, turning his soft yet distant eyes on the young woman. "I can't let you do that. Just relax for a moment and talk with me," he pleaded lightly. He stayed well away from her, drifting towards the door where he could both pick up his water and block her escape. It would take a few minutes, though. How to fill the time and keep her calm?

"I would love some more, actually," he said as he removed the cinnamon stick, smiling briefly at her. He leaned against the door frame and shoved his free hand in his pocket to keep himself from fidgeting. "If it's not too much trouble. How have you been lately?"

Shards, Talian was bad at small talk. This was always a safe bet, though...asking someone about themselves.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Apari was estatic to hear that the healer had so enjoyed the cinnamon sticks.  The plants themselves she’d been babying since she’d arrived at the Weyr and had only now been able to actually harvest parts of them.  It only showed for a moment, however, as she watched his other movements uncertainly as he mixed something at the counter and called for boiling water.  She really hoped he wouldn’t have her clean the wound with it.  Numbweed she could do… she wasn’t sure about anything that might scald her, however.

When he blocked her exit and asked her to talk to him, it didn’t help the nervious feeling welling up inside of her.  Her own hands fidgeting, she tried to smooth the rest of her skirt that didn’t need to be bundled above the cut as she listened to him ask for more Cinnamon as well as how she’d been.  The surprise was enough to pause her fidgeting for a moment as she looked back up at him, safely at the door but inconveniently blocking her escape.

She’d always seen the Master Healer as a kind person, but she’d never expected the man who always seemed to be about business to ask any of his patients how they had been outside of injuries.  Blinking at him a moment, she lowered her gaze back to her hands as she fidgeted at her skirt.  Shards, Jisralna would be upset over the state it was in.

“I-I have been keeping myself busy.  In fact, I’ve been collecting extra seeds from the Infirmary’s Herb Garden.  Lymsleia had pointed out which the garden could use more of.”  Glancing up, she hesitated, wonder if maybe she should have asked the Master permission to try to grow some of the plants from seed before sparsely helping herself.  “If it’s okay, come spring I would like to take some shoots too… to help grow them into separate, healthier plants.  It would make harvesting what parts you need easier from several medium bushes than one that’s over grown.  You can also rotate which plants you use to keep them healthier as well…”

Seeing the woman return with the boiled water, still steaming, Aparicus paused her rambling to watch Talian a moment before gathering her courage.  “What is the water for?”  she asked softly, her body tensed, not knowing what to expect.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian listened patiently to Aparicus' small talk, nodding politely the entire way through, they he made a point of staying away from her and tried to tone down his habit of staring people directly in the eyes. It was one of many awkward social habits he'd never corrected. To him, it made sense to stare directly into someone's gaze as they spoke. It was the best way to discern their inner feelings. Of course, when the young man stood unblinking with his typical over-analytic expression, it was no wonder it made people uncomfortable. He was like a lizard. It didn't usually occur to him that it would make delicate people uncomfortable, though!

"I'm sure the garden will come out beautifully," Talian said softly as he accepted the pot of boiling water from the young lady who'd only just returned. Talian smiled, walking slowly across the room and hanging the pot so he could steep some herbs in it. He started a small fire in the firepit to keep the water warm before looking back to Aparicus.

"I'm making you some special medicinal tea," he explained. "It will need a couple minutes, but I think it will make you feel much better."

He prodded her for some more small talk while he waited on the tea to finish. Once he was satisfied, he prepared a cup for her and set it down on the table, keeping as much distance from her as he could. "Go ahead, miss. Finish the whole thing please," Talian said, still gentle. He hadn't told her exactly what it would do; knock her ass out. It wouldn't quite make her unconscious, but it would relax her and slow her mind down enough that he should be able to touch her without alarming her. He waited patiently, watching for symptoms before even getting his tools out.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Watching Talian accept the pot of hot water before moving it to above the small fire place in the room and steeping herbs, she sniffed experimentally, wondering if she could identify the plants he used.  Mixed together, however, it proved more challenging than she expected.  Of course, she normally dealt with spices not the medicinal herbs of the healing craft and while they were prone to overlap, it didn’t always happen.  To Talian’s advantage, however, it had a pleasant smell and Aparicus did enjoy tea during the colder months.

With the cup comfortably desposited on the table, Apari did need to slide off the bed to take a single limping step in order to reach it.  Once in hand, she sat back down and took a single small sip of it.  It wasn’t nearly as bad as some medicinal drinks she’d been given for colds and while it could use a bit of honey she’d have no problems drinking it down.  “Will this make the need for stitches no longer necessary?  Because that would make me feel much better.”  She said before taking another, slightly larger sip now that she knew she’d not burn herself.

The third sip she took brought her to the half mark of the cup and this one she closed her eyes for a brief moment to enjoy the flavor of the tea on her tongue before swallowing it.  She wasn’t sure if it was the warmth going down her throat or the herbs working their magic, but she was starting to relax.  Opening her eyes again, she found that the doctor hadn’t moved yet and that was just as reassuring.  Realizing he might not be answering her until she’d finish drinking as she was told, two more swallows quickly followed leaving only one in the cup.

“Ever’one sayies…”  Pausing as her tongue slurred her words, she lifted a hand to her lips before finishing the last swallow, hoping the warm liquid would stop whatever had just happened.  “Ever’one sayies Healer’s drins… drints… drinks tastes terra-bull… Whaths wrong?”  she asked, clearly confused by her slurring speech.  It was as if her tongue no longer to wanted to work properly.  Aparicus was a slight woman and while she’d never had any desire to drink the foul liquids that other’s enjoyed to get drunk, she also knew that if she did it would probably affect her twice as quickly being half the size of most people.  It now sounded as if she’d had a shot of quikal or a glass of wine.

And yet… she knew she should be terrified.  Something had gone terribly wrong with the tea!  This wasn’t helping her knee at all, yet she couldn’t bring herself to bundle up her nerves in panic.  The cup was set down almost shakily right on the bed next to her as she now supported herself with that hand and lifted her free one to her head.  Even the world seemed… wrong… as if she was just waking up in the middle of the night.  Or perhaps more like as if she’d not slept well in days and sleep was finally trying to catch up to her.  Her body seemed slow and unresponsive and even the edges of her vision seemed to be blurring slightly as she shook her head slowly.  As enjoyable as the cup of tea had been…  she was confident this was NOT what the healer had meant would make her feel better.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian patiently prepared his tools and some numbweed salve while Aparicus drank at her tea. Much to his delight, she finished the drink quickly and was soon showing it's effects. The healer felt a bit guilty; he didn't like to deceive people and he hated to think that his actions might be upsetting to her, but he simply couldn't have her leaving that wound untreated or even worse, trying to stitch it herself! She needed proper medical care.

"Aparicus," Talian said as he walked closer. He didn't touch her yet. He eyed her closely, watching for changes in her body language. Her speech was already heavily slurred. Good!

"I've given you a sedative. You should be feeling calm and a little bit distant right now," he offered soothingly. "It's perfectly natural and you won't come to any harm. Unfortunatly, stitches are still necessary. I'm going to have to wash your wound and close it for you."

He inched just a little closer, but he made sure the undoubtedly dazed woman could see him clearly. "Listen, Aparicus. I know you don't like to be touched. I don't know why, but the Weyrleader made it very clear that I am never to touch you unless necessary. I want you to understand something."

He held his hands up,trying to display his harmlessness. "My father used to beat me, Aparicus. He was a very cruel man. I can understand why some people dont like to be touched. But I am a healer, and you are badly injured. You need to be taken care of. You have my word that I won't hurt you, though."

With that, he set his tools neatly aside and moved in to gently take her shoulders and push her down on the table. He had a couple attendants waiting outside to run in and help if need be, but hopefully it wouldn't come to that. He really didn't want to have to hold her down forcibly. He was expecting some wiggling, but that was about it.

"Please trust me."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

She heard Talian even as she watched him inch closer as he spoke.  She wanted to stiffen her back, to get ready to jump out of reach but her body seemed ready to lay down.  He sounded as if he were speaking to her from the other room.  Why did he sound so far away?  She had to actually focus on listening to him, which turned out to be more difficult than she’d expected while trying to watch him as well. 

A sedative?  Calm and distant?  The tea was SUPPOSE to do this to her?!  Now was the time to panic as he took another step closer, telling her that the stitches were still necessary and that he was, in fact, going to do it himself.  Lifting up a hand that was… she thought… still out of reach of him, she shook her head.  “No, Stop… You said you wouldn’t do anything…”  She said, her voice still slurring her words and her tongue heavy in her mouth.  When had her tongue gotten so large and clumsy?

Her hand seemed to have no effect as he took another step closer and she snatched the hand back to keep it out of his own reach.  She wanted to shake in her fear, but instead the tea had her wavering slightly, leaning back and forth.  Again he was speaking to her and she focused on his words even as she held the hand not supporting her tight to her chest to keep it as far from him as she could, as if he would bite her.  Oh, but he was getting ready to bite!  Needle in hand like a sharp little tooth!

She listened to him tell her of knowing her fear, but not why.  She also listened to his reason why he understood… he’d been beaten at home too.  If he understood he’d let her stitch herself!  Surely even a sloppy stitch would heal!  His word… she wasn’t sure if she should laugh or cry.  His word had been that he’d do nothing without her permission and yet now he’d taken that choice away from her as well. 

Tears slipped down her cheeks as he finally reached, her setting his tools aside and reaching out to her.  She tugged her shoulder away and felt her world spin.  Closing her eyes, those foreign hands were on her shoulders again and she choked back a sob.  “No, please don’t touch me…”  she said a little loudly, though not yet a scream.  Her legs jerked up as she tried to push herself away from him, away from those touching hands. 

“I trust you.”  She sobbed as she tried to move away from him with limbs that seemed to only half work.  “But you said… You said you wouldn’t… without permission… please don’t touch me…”  she muttered again, half heartedly knocking away one of the hands on her shoulder as she finally got a foot on the corner of the table.  Using it to push herself away from him, and in her daze and panic, she managed to push herself right off the far edge and fell in a heap on the floor.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian didn't know what to do.

He stared wide-eyed as the girl toppled to the floor, having wrenched herself easily from his grip. How did she have such fight in her, especially after how heavily he'd drugged her? Talian's blood ran cold, alarmed by the intense display of fear he saw before him. His jaw slacked and he tried to speak, but as he watched her writhe on the floor and listened to her desperate pleas, he realized something terrible.

It was familiar.

Was that what he looked like? Was that how he sounded when J'ver held him down? Was that the expression on his face when the greenrider told him what was about to happen? Shards.

Talian, who never failed to help a patient and who never cracked under pressure with his healer's gloves on, was unable to move. His eyes widened as she screamed at him, and in the back of his mind, he unknowingly screamed as well. He screamed for the only person he knew to scream for.

B'JIN! B'JIN! B'JIN! B'JIN! LARRIKITH! B'JIN! HELP ME!

He could feel J'ver's breath on the back of his neck. He could feel the throbbing pain in his hand where he'd stripped his fingernails off trying to fight. He could feel cold fingers against his skin.

Was that what he'd looked like?! Was that what she felt like?!

The attendants outside burst into the room. They scrambled for her, assuming she'd gone mad or needed urgent help. Tal snapped from his horror, driven by an almost instinctive need to protect his patient, and he screamed.

"STOP! DON'T TOUCH HER!"

The attendants froze. Neither of them had ever heard the timid, mild-mannered Master Healer scream before. A wild look crept into Talian's eyes as he looked between them and the panicked girl. Fear held him in place, but as his heart slammed in his chest and his mind swirled, he knew he had two options.

Either he could cave to his sentiment, fold up into a ball and weep in the floor beside her, or he could do his job and be a healer. He swallowed hard, teeth grinding as he forced himself to move. One miraculously steady hand reached for his headband. He slowly wrapped it into place as he paced around the table and looked down at her, face contorted into a hellishly haunted expression.

"I broke my promise because I don't want you to get an infection and die in this horrid southern heat," he said blankly. "Don't treat me like a rapist." He knew nothing of her past. He was thinking of his own.

He knelt beside her and forcibly steadied his hands, ruthlessly shutting his own sentiment from his mind as he tried to figure out what to do. He certainly wouldn't be able to drug her now, not without pinning her first. If he was going to pin her, he may as well get the work over with.

He grabbed his tools and quickly straddled her at the thighs. "I'm sorry," he said, voice both strained and vicious as he reached for her skirt. He peeled it back with the same dispassionate focus that he'd carried when he stripped Jada of her shirt that night so long ago. He narrowed his eyes at her cut and quickly set to work, pressing one arm down on her legs to try and secure her while he started his work.

His heart raced and his palms sweated. He wasn't sure how long he could do this. Better do it quick.

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

Written By: ThistleProse
With R'nd sprawled beside him on the bed and the sun peeping in, B'jin had found himself suddenly wide awake. Unwilling to wake his lover up, who had that funny smile on that suggested peace of mind or pleasant dreams, the greenrider had snorted softly in fond amusement and placed a lazy kiss on his lips. Slipping carefully out of the bed, and throwing some clothes on (he even made sure they were his!) B'jin padded quietly out to the kitchen and set some klah to heat. While he didn't much fancy the drink so early in the morning, it was perhaps one of the more promising ways to wake R'nd up and keep him in a good mood. The other had the greenrider smirking to himself as he slipped outside, brushing his hands over the tops of his lavender plants as he walked the length of the hut.

It was early, much earlier than he'd anticipated, and after a few moments, B'jin wandered back into the hut he'd claimed as his own, wiping his feet absently on the mat in the doorway. A trip to the bedroom had the Harper flicking the curtain so the sun was no longer peeping in, his skin crawling subconsciously at the fact that there had been a peep hole the night before. The likelihood of anyone peeping in was low, but the greenrider didn't care. It still made his stomach clench and he shook his head, leaving the room quietly and closing the door so R'nd wouldn't be disturbed by his messing around in the main room.

An hour later and B'jin's kitchen was a war zone of pots, containers and lavender as he went about mixing up more of the scented oil for Larrikith, setting aside the obligatory amount for Veeth in the process. The entire time, the Harper was singing softly under his breath, just loud enough to be heard but not quite so loud as to disturb his lover. R'nd could be cranky when he was woken up. Which made B'jin snigger, where once such a thought would have filled him with trepidation. R'nd was lovable, and fun, and he crumpled at wide eyes and kisses. B'jin's amusement leaked into the playful lyrics of the nonsense children's song he was singing.

Larrikith's sudden bellow of alarm cause B'jin to hit a sour note he hadn't touched in years, and drop the pot he was currently holding, covering both himself and the entire kitchen in liquid lavender. The greenrider swore, the oil while not hot was warm enough to be extra liquid-y and it clung to him, skin and clothing alike. "Fuck! Larri! What the-?" In his shock, his voice wasn't as low pitched as he'd been meaning to keep it, though accompanied by the crashing and banging of pots, R'nd would have to be a rock to sleep through all the noise.

B'jin! Talian! The green dragon's voice was high pitched with urgency and her eyes swirled colours of worry and distress as she appeared before the kitchen window, her head swaying anxiously. Hurry!

Not needing to be told twice as fear and rage pumped through his veins, B'jin scrabbled out of the kitchen, slipping and sliding across the wooden flooring of his hut before he landed at the door, flinging it open and charging out to throw himself on Larrikith; soaked in oil, and smelling strongly of lavender, the pair took off like an arrow, Larrikith having enough common sense to not take her dripping rider between.

Landing outside the Hall, B'jin slipped from Larrikith and threw himself against the door, opening it and practically falling into the main entrance. The Wherry stared at him, and B'jin glared at her with a fire in brown eyes not seen by the silly hen before. She sat back down as B'jin pelted down the hallway to which he knew Talian's office was; 'STOP! DON'T TOUCH HER!' - the voice was unmistakable, but B'jin skidded to a halt with a shocked expression none-the-less, eyes wide in his face which was flushed with the need to react, to rescue, to save -- one of his babies was in danger!

B'jin shoved the two attendants out of the way, sending one sprawling onto their arse as he unapologetically entered the room, slamming the door behind him and staring around avidly to find the source of danger to his son. It took a moment before he even spotted the boy; a girl sprawled out on the ground, Talian sitting on her legs and half her skirt upraised. B'jin jerked to a halt in shock, blinking several times for a moment.

"Talian?" B'jin's voice was soft, gentle, as he walked carefully over to the pair on the floor, bringing with him the cloud of lavender the scent as soothing and gentle as ever. As he got closer, he could see the gash on the girl's thigh, could see the terrified albeit drugged expression on her face and in her eyes. B'jin's lips pursed.

"Talian, son, you can't mean to heal her on the floor. It's dirty." He spoke in soft, gentle tones, soothing and reassuring as he gently placed a hand on Talian's shoulder. "C'mon, hop up. Let's put her on the table, come on." Coaxing patiently, B'jin waited for Talian to respond, before gently scooping Aparicus up and settling her on the table top once more. Any reaction from the young woman fell on deaf ears, the greenrider placing a light hand on her shoulder and turning a mild brown eyed gaze on her.

"Lie still, sweetheart, and let him do his job." It wasn't spoken in a tone any different than the soothing, coaxing voice B'jin had been using moments before on Talian, but there was undoubtedly a mild warning in there, and a subtle rebuke. Talian was a healer, the best healer, and she would do well to let him work his magic upon her without fuss. B'jin's placid gaze returned to Talian, his own heartbeat slowly settling into something more regular and he became aware of the uncomfortable coating of lavender oil. His hand, however, light though his touch was, didn't move from Aparicus' shoulder - part warning, part threat to hold still or he'd hold her still.

Wow, power play all around! If anyone has any issues, let me know and I'll edit. But B'jin was like *GASP* Not on the FLOOR .... so you know >_>

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 750 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talians own scream echoed through the room and reached Apari’s frightened, terrified mind and for a brief moment she didn’t understand.  She didn’t understand why the man, who was so determined to touch her and not let her help herself was now telling other’s not to touch her.  She lay there, wanting to shudder in fear but the tea’s effects were growing stronger as it continued to pulse through her blood stream.  There were small twitches as she tried to tell her body to move away, to run, to flee as she watched the Master Healer walk around the table with a face she’d never seen on a man before.  Her drugged mind couldn’t process it as a haunted look, a look that he was fighting his own demons – but she could process that it wasn’t the Talian she’d grown use to seeing around the Healing Hall.

She first watched him straddle her thighs though her tear filled eyes, but as her mind took it’s time to scream in her head her body took even longer to process that he was now on top of her.  A single leg twitched in her attempt to kick out, to get out from beneath him, but it was nothing more than a twitch now as she slowly, dazedly shook her head back and forth in a silent no, a silent plea that he wouldn’t do this, he wouldn’t touch her, he wouldn’t hurt her.  Her foggy mind took even longer to register that, as he held her legs down, he was facing the wrong way to do anything to her…

Confusion.  Her mind slowed and body numbed by the tea as well as the numbweed, the next events swirled together and before her sobbing pleas could be made to the new man who was nearby, he’d scooped her up and deposited her back onto the table she’d barely managed to escape.  Again it took time for her body to register that it was being held down by his hand and her legs were still being pressed still as well.  Her panic stricken mind couldn’t register that the touches were light and not meant to hurt, but she was finally registering that she needed to resign.  There were two now… Not one.  Not only the healer she’d once thought kind and smart and had admired from her safe distance.  No, now there was a new Talian she did not know and another man who’s face looked familiar but in her state she couldn’t place.  Either way, he was larger than Talian and between the two she held no hope of escape.

Tears ran silently down her face as she closed her eyes, a shudder raking through her body only ever now and then, the tea waging a war to relax her body even as her phobia tried to work against it.  But there was no more fight and she just lay there in her occational shudders praying for the world to end around her.  Two and a half turns… Two and a half turns she’d not gone through an episode like this… felt this deeply embedded fear as keenly as she felt it now… And she cried.  This was Katila!  Not home!  Yet, for the moment as she lay there crying on the table as the healer worked, home was what raced through her mind to relive memories – the only saving grace was the nearly overwhelming lavender smell that had strangely filled the room.

Lavander.  Even now she could place it and she tried to take in a deep ragged breath, trying to mentally claw her way out of the memories and back to her garden.  Was lavender in bloom right now?  She knew that it wasn’t, but she could smell it clearly and while she didn’t dare to open her eyes, she tried to picture her little spice garden, her little piece of heaven, in bloom with lavender.  Her shudderings grew further and further apart as the stress of the situation and the tea began to overwhelm her phobia.  It was a bad dream… she wanted to tell herself, and she did so, muttering softly.  “It’s a bad dream…  Just a bad dream…  I’m at Katila… I’m safe…”  She refused to open her eyes, and to be honest the tea and exhaustion of her mental stress had her so close to sleep she wasn’t sure if she could have if she wanted to.

“It’s just a bad dream…”  Her face was pale and covered in almost as much sweat as Talian’s, though not quite.  The tears made up for the moisture though.

[sub]No worries Honey!  I had just told Blue it was basicly the end of her fighting, she's not a strong enough individual, physically or mentally, to put up much more than the panic'd flight that lead her to the floor.  At this point, power play as much as needed.  Unless she's given a strong cup of Klah I don't see the tea's effects (which took long enough to fully kick in) disappearing before she gets some sleep.[/sub]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian's head snapped towards the door, his face still twisted by stress, guilt, and cruel memories. When he saw B'jin, however, the hostility and pain melted away. There was a breath of thankfulness there, surprise and utter delight that the greenrider had come to save him. Talian wasn't sure how B'jin had known, but clearly he had! Was Larrikith to blame? Tal often suspected that she listened in on his mind, but he couldn't prove it and didn't necessarily want to accuse her. Oh, but who else could he credit this miracle on? That magnificent beast!

"B'jin..." Talian said uncertainty. His focus was slipping! He scowled, shoving his sentiments aside once more as he considered the terrified woman beneath him. She needed him, shard it! He quickly scooted aside and watched as B'jin picked the woman up, trying to soothe her though undoubtedly without any effect. Tal didn't wait to see. He snatched some redwort solution from one of the attendants and quickly pulled his small table into place beside the actual examination table. "Hold her," he instructed B'jin, voice suddenly forceful and focused.

He was a healer. He didn't have time to act like a scared child right now. Apari's life wasn't in direct danger, but this stress couldn't be good for her. Talian treated it like and emergency and quickly went to work, cleaning and flushing the wound within seconds and quickly reaching for his stitching tools.

The actual sutures didn't take long to complete. He closed the wound quickly and reached for the clippers he'd usually use to cut the sinew, but realized they were across the room. He frowned and, in his rush to hasten the girl's discomfort, decided to use his scalpel instead. He went to make the cut, but his hands were slippery with blood and redwort solution. He slipped, slashing the palm of his hand open. He hissed, but didn't snap his hand back.

"Okay," he said, putting the scalpel aside and quickly clutching his hand. "She's done..." He pulled a second glove on his cut hand and reached for the clean water one of the attendants had supplied. He poured it over the wound before making his way to the special cabinet where he kept the numbweed. "B'jin? Please don't move," Tal instructed. He removed the numbweed and hurried over, taking great care to apply it cleanly and keep it away from the greenrider.

When it was over, he sighed. "Let her go, Dad," he said, frowning. He expected her to run off as soon as she was released. 

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

By the time Talian hissed from slipping and cutting his own hand, Aparicus’ body had finally gone limp as she slipped into blissful oblivion brought on by the intense stress of the situation as well as the calming, mind numbing properties of the tea.  Her breathing had finally steadied, though it was shallow and through her mouth rather than her nose.  She’d have a sore throat when she woke, but at least the wound was cleaned and closed by a professional rather than clumsy, inexperienced hands and gnarled fingers that would have made a mess of the stitches.

She didn’t feel when she was finally release, which was probably a blessing in itself.  With the effects of the tea she’d probably have not made it out the door without falling into something – or worse – someone.  She would easily sleep the rest of the candlemark, if not more before she’d wake up and do her best to sneak out of the Healer’s Hall unnoticed.  After this… who knew the next time she’d be brave enough to return with fresh flowers for the various patient rooms like she had once been prone to do.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian frowned as his assistants removed the girl. That was probably for the best. She would have time to rest and recover before going back into the weyr, where she would undoubtedly twist the story, intentionally or unintentionally.

Talian was struggling to be understanding. He no longer doubted that Aparicus had been sexually assaulted. Talian empathized with that, but that wasn't the problem. Talian just couldn't understand her reaction. Sure, Talian had been upset by his own encounter. It had been crushing, and at the time it filled him with horror and gave him many sleepless nights. This, though? This was extreme.

He sighed. He didn't understand, but he figured he was going to have to. He didn't understand how a lot of people reacted to things. He didn't understand how any northerner could be happy at Katila, how his friends could accept dragons, or how B'jin could willfully forget things...he figured this was just  another thing he didn't get.  He felt bad for the girl, though, and he felt dirty.

He felt like J'ver.

"Post-traumatic stress," he reasoned aloud, sighing one more time before looking at his hand. His nose wrinkled. It was deeper than he'd originally thought. The healer turned to B'jin and laughed nervously.

"You know, I thought I was over the whole J'ver thing. But now I feel like an asshole," he said lightly, as if trying to make a weak joke out of the situation. He most certainly was not over it, but his recovery had been surprisingly smooth. Talian handled abuse better than change.

He walked across the room and gathered some supplies with his good hand. He had enough redwort solution left to clean his own wound, which just left the matter of closing it. He'd be damned before he let anyone else in this hall work on him!

"Dad? Would you help me?" he asked, his intentions still quite unclear. He seated himself at the desk and pulled the small table holding his tools closer. "Can you sort of pinch this closed for me? Just put your palm against it and push a little, enough so the edges meet." The boy's words were soft and soothing. "I know you don't like blood, but I can't fix it alone."

Then, with his good hand, he reached for his needle and sinew. "It'll never heal if I just wrap it, and I need my hands..."

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

Written By: ThistleProse
B'jin's features slowly took on a sickly shade of unease as he gently held the young woman down, avidly going out of his way not to watch what Talian was doing. The sudden hiss tearing from Talian's lips caused B'jin to flinch, brown eyes flickering to peer at his son's face for a moment, and what little blood was left vanished rapidly at the cut on Talian's hand, and the blood from the girl's leg. B'jin swayed uneasily where he was standing, rapidly tearing his eyes away from his boy to stare across the room with a determined scowl.

A chill ran over B'jin's shoulders and down his back as Talian told him not to move, the greenrider freezing in place with wide eyes, though curiosity was winning over in that moment - before the unmistakable scent of numbweed filled the air and B'jin subtly inched away from where Talian was working. The command to let the girl go was followed, though B'jin would have hardly considered himself as holding her down; the poor dear had already passed out. Keeping her still was no big deal after that.

B'jin frowned in confusion at Talian's sudden statement, eyebrows twitching as he tried to understand what it was the young man was talking about; who it was he was talking about. Was the girl suffering from stress... Oh. B'jin's expression swiftly altered into a scowl, his lips pursing. "You most certainly are not." B'jin stated firmly, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at Talian. B'jin didn't really take well to self decrypting jokes, and had glared at R'nd on more than one occasion when the bluerider did the same thing.

There were too many people out there willing to tell one how stupid they were, without one doing it for them! B'jin's skin crawled again. He'd never needed to insult himself; he'd always been surrounded by people more than willing to do so for him. He didn't understand when other people insulted themselves. Did they believe it, or were they hoping for compliments? To be reassured that the truth was otherwise? Insulting himself had always been full of far more pain that self-righteous indignation.

The greenrider's expression changed into a cautious twist of features at Talian's absent sounding request, brown eyes narrowing distrustfully. A request for 'help' while in the middle of the Healing Hall hardly bode well for B'jin's stomach, and he swayed back on his heels, waiting for further - brown eyes widened dramatically as Talian explained what he wanted him to do, and before the young man had even finished his request B'jin was shaking his head, almost looking terrified by the mere prospect.

"I can't!" He whispered, backing away a half step, looking trapped and guilty under the sickly lack of colour his face had taken on. He was determinedly not looking at Talian's hand, or the tools, or the smear of blood that were located on the young man. B'jin's eyes widened as he chocked on the desire to retch. "I'll g-get a nurse, o-okay?" Oh Faranth, he was stuttering! B'jin inched backwards, keeping his gaze firmly above Talian's head. If he saw one more speck of blood, he would faint! Which would be bad because Talian was covered in blood and B'jin had no doubt the boy would spring on him if he crumpled.

"C-can we have a nurse, please?" He gained control of his voice after the first word, but he was still being pretty blatant about not looking at Talian.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 750 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian flashed his father a dispassionate but understanding look. "No nurses," he said, shaking his head. "They're all incompetent, plus they'll try to make me stop working while it heals. I'll be able to work just fine once it's sewed up, I just can't do it by myself I don't think." He knew he was being stubborn, but he was fully convinced that not a single person in the hall at Katila that he trusted to so much as check his temperature, much less actually touch him.

He frowned a little bit. He didn't want to pressure B'jin into helping, especially since the older man's stomach seemed so weak. The last thing Tal needed was to bully his poor father into spewing all over the floor. That wouldn't help anyone. He sighed and shifted himself closer to his desk.

He narrowed his eyes at the cut and flexed his hand a bit. The bleeding had slowed down enough that he felt comfortable closing it, so after a moment of hesitation, he started to thread his needle. His hand stung while he worked, as he was unable to do it with only the undamaged one, but he had to finished quickly enough.

"Don't worry about it, B'jin. I can do it," Talian said, focused and all but whispering as he gently slid the needle into his flesh. He hissed softly and pulled it though before making another delicate insertion on the other edge of the wound. He pulled it tight and stared down at it, trying to decide if he could actually do this with just one hand.

He thought he could. It would just take a while.

"I've got it," he said stoically. "Thank you, Dad. You can go if you want...Um, there's an herb in a red bag under my desk, if you put some in your tea it will settle your stomach," the boy offered selflessly, though his tone lacked inflection as he continued to focus on his work.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)