World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Regrets and Spices [A'liran]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
The terrible mistake she had made the day before, hurting Sanderon the way she had… It tore at her.  She had not been able to bring herself to dinner that night or to breakfast this morning, so she was still wonderfully ignorant that Sanderon had snapped and attacked a woman that night or she’d probably be tearing herself up more than she was already.  Even so, she had spend the whole morning in her spice garden, pouring herself into her work and managing not to water too many of the plants with salty tears.

Wide-brimmed hat looked too large on her head as she knelt in the dirt, her skirt properly dirty to show her performed work and her sleeves, for once, rolled up to her elbows.  Gently pulling another eater-grub from the mint leaves, she set the grub in her basket before closing the lid gently again.  Most gardeners would squish them, but Apari didn’t have the heart to.  She’d relocate them outside the Weyr later.

Sitting back on her heels, she stretched her back and looked up at the sun for a moment, listening to her stomach rumble.  She really needed to eat something before she got dizzy, but she wasn’t ready to brave a crowd of people yet.  Not for something as simple and minor as food.  Perhaps after the lunch rush was over… 

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
A'liran strode past, his light steps leaving soft indentations in the grass as he went. He was bored, as he often was in the middle of quiet days, and found himself wandering. Astoreth was currently away, contenting herself with a nice lounge at the lakeside, leaving A'liran alone with his own mischief, at least for the time being.

He rounded the corner, walking along parallel to the kitchens complex as he shifted to a noticeably faster pace. He wasn't exactly fleeing, but he had decided after a couple unseemly comments that perhaps he should distance himself from some of his peers back in the dining hall. It was a little worrisome, but mostly just funny.

It was more fun back in the old days, though. Back when dragons numbered over a measly 200 and a greenrider still gained something resembling respect. He didn't feel totally shut out yet, but in spite of the supposedly greenloving Weyrleader, things had gotten worse instead of getting better.

In truth, A'liran had been more agitated than usual over the past few days. He saw no justice when he witnessed the candidate's lashing, nor in the enstatemt of the new Weyrsecond himself. N'gelt was just as bad at S'kef, perhaps even worse. A'liran had done well to keep his mouth shut over the past few days. Tensions were high, but that's how life was in the south. It was always lurking about, but sometimes it erupted into the forefront. It would subside eventually. A'liran wasn;t sure if that was a good thing or not.

All he knew was that in his youth, he'd have fought right along side them. As he stood now, he wished to do his best to save them. Too bad that was well out of his power.

He was deep in thought as he neared the little spice garden. He'd seen it before, but he'd never really bothered to investigate. As he walked up on it now, he was so lost in his thoughts that he almost tromped right into it.

"Shards!" he hissed, sidestepping suddenly. "Eh, sorry about that..." He cast his eyes on the girl, who he'd seen a time or two before. Skittish, they said. He offered a noncommittal smile.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

The approaching shadow had warned Aparicus of the man’s approach, but when his steps didn’t slow at approaching the garden she paniced, tossing up her hands and waving franticly, trying to catch his attention.  “Don’t step on the mint!!!”  she had finally shouted, louder than she would ever like to raise her voice and it made her shudder, but the mint was saved as the man hissed a curse and apologized with a smile.

Letting out a breath of relief, she relaxed and dropped her hands into her lap returning his smile with one of her own.  She had been briefly worried that by raising her voice she might upset him – but that poor mint patch had been trampled upon so often that even she was considering moving it away from the edge of the garden.  He didn’t seem upset though and his smile was… was a contagious one and friendly.

“It’s okay, Sir.”  She reassured as she brushed her hands off on her skirt and looked up at him.  It was another face she recognized in passing but hadn’t found a name to pair with it.  “You seemed properly distracted though.  Is everything okay?”

Of course, she didn’t think he’d be smiling now if everything wasn’t okay, but it was only polite to ask.  Aparicus didn’t mind being polite at all – especially when most people responded positively to polite rather than upset or angry.  Of course, there were a few like that child Indivira who responded violently to everything…  And there was Sanderon…  But she quickly pushed him to the back of her mind and what had happened the day before, instead using the man before her as a focus point for her thoughts. 

Maybe he’d chatter with her?  She liked to chatter.  Perhaps that’s why she liked the green dragon’s so much.  Many of them liked to chatter too.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Sir?

A'liran was somewhat surprised, and not sure if he was displeased. He'd spent most of his life calling people who didn't deserve it 'sir' for a variety of reasons, and he surely didn't think he deserved it either. Still, he supposed it was a nice gesture. Too bad he answered it with a puzzled raise of his eyebrow instead of a polite decline or something equally sensible.

"Huh? Oh..." he said, biting his lower lip before letting out a playful laugh, primarily at himself. "It's no problem. I was barreling along like a wherry, wasn't I?" He looked over his shoulder. No pursuers. Score!

"Everything's fine, though. Thanks for asking." No need to tell this sweet girl that he'd just fled a possible altercation with a puffed-up brownrider. He smirked with a bit of self-important amusement. He wondered what sort of look that wherry had on his face about now!

Lacking anywhere better to be and noticing the almost eager demeanor of the young lady, he seated himself cross-legged in the grass. "You build your garden in a busy spot," he noted, motioning at the area around them. "It's pretty, though. Too bad Astoreth isn't here, she's a sucker for good-smelling oil. I can't imagine good-smelling plants would be any different."

Well, he had been complaining to himself about boredom all day. Maybe this was his answer!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Aparicus watched the man sit down in the grass, glad and pleased to see it was at the edge of the garden and comfortibly out of his arms reach.  At the mention of building her garden in a busy spot she blushed ever so slightly and swept her hand to point to the low stone wall, about knee height, that closed off 3 sides off three sides of the area.  It was bad luck really that he had come from the one side the wall was not located - then again he might have had bruised shins if he hadn't at the pace he had been strolling.

"They decided that they wanted the spice garden near the kitchens and gave me this area."  She began to explain before letting out a soft sigh.  "I have been trying to fix up a fence around it..."  the blush on her cheeks deepened, "but as you can see it's slow and I don't even know if it will help at all at that height, but I can't get the stones to balance any higher."

Hearing the mention of his dragon she seemed to perk up all over again, not missing the fact that the man has said 'she'.  Since men couldn't ride gold, it told Apari the man was a greenrider.  "Oh?  Does your green like flowers too?"  A laugh escaped her lips, she loved how many of the greens loved anything pretty, much like herself.  "I bet, come spring, I could come up with a very nice smelling oil for her, though once you put it on her you'd smell just as pretty."  Again, the woman who had been stressing all day felt more of that stress wash away as she laughed at the idea of a man smelling of flowers.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

A'liran paused to appraise the little wall she'd constructed to protect her garden. The stones wouldn't balance any higher, huh? "Well, that's why you use wood," he explained cheekily, teasing but not cruel. He smirked at her, never imagining that he was fragile and could potentially take his light prodding more seriously than he intended. Were Astoreth present, she might have said something to that effect, but that was beside the point. A'liran reached out and poked gently at the top of the wall, watching as the unmortared stone wobbled at his touch.

"I think we could do something about that," he said casually, shrugging. He didn't have much to do, so why not? Of course, talking about making it and actually making it would be entirely different matters. "Why don't you ask the Weyrleader for some planks? It wouldn't be hard to put some points on the ends and make a fence," he said. Nails were a bit harder to come by, but there must be a way to work around it. Anything would be better than a tenuous pile of rocks!

He smiled at the next bit. "I don't really know, to be honest. She's a little on the serious side for a green, but I've never seen her complain about something beautiful." A'liran wasn't the sort of person who stopped to admire flowers very often, and he and Astoreth were far too similar in many regards. He was suddenly beset with an image of his green frolicking in a field of flowers, and it was so absurd that he laughed.

That got Astoreth's attention. She tuned in to the little fantasy and projected her amusement to her bonded. That's your idea vision of me, is it

No, A'liran said, but I don't think it would kill you to act like a lady once in a while.

So you assume that all ladies enjoy frolicking in flowers? the dragon replied, lofty and superior in her tone. A'liran laughed in her mind, unable to come up with an acceptable response. You stupid cow he accused lightly. What am I supposed to say to that?

Nothing she said, smug.

A'liran gave the sky an indignant look. He emerged from his conversation just in time to catch Aparicus' last comment, and he only knew one way to interpret it. He raised a brow. "Ast would love some oil," he said, pondering.

You'd smell just as pretty. Okay, he had to ask.

"Did you just hit on me?"

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Aparicus had let out a little sigh, at the mention of using wood instead.  "I'd love a wooden fence."  She admitted almost dreamily as she watched him poke at her poor attempt at building.  She wasn't about to admit how many weeks it had taken her to find enough rocks small enough for her to carry but still large enough to stack to get as far as she had.

"Women never built things back home though, we cleaned or cooked or worked the gardens.  I have no idea where to even start for a wooden fence."  Hearing his mention of 'we' coming up with something, however, she looked at him with a curious expression.  "You would show me how to put up a wooden fence?"  Even as she asked, her face brightened excitedly.  "That would be wonderous!"

She watched for a moment as he seemed to talk silently to the sky, having been at the Weyr long enough to know it was a dragon who had caught his attention even though she could see none in the sky.  When he spoke again, he brought her own eyes back down and opened them wide in shock.

"Did you just hit on me?"

Her face instantly took on a look of shock as she quickly waved her hands in front of her in almost panicked denial.  "Oh I'd never hit anyone!  I'm not a violent person I promise!"

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

A'liran was too distracted by Astoreth to pick up on Apari's request. He phased back into the world of the living just in time to make his little comment, then he was left quite stunned by her response.

Whoa, this gal thinks I meant literally hitting

I got that much Astoreth said as she peered through her rider's eyes. A'liran just looked back at the girl, wide eyed, trying his best not to burst into a fit of laughter at her obvious naivety.He struggled and reminded himself to be polite. She was perfectly nice so far, so there was no need to just laugh in her precious face. Poor girl! He felt bad, but it was so funny.

"Oh! No, no..." he said, waving one hand. He couldn't help but chuckle just a little bit. "I didn't mean literally! It's a term that means, er..." Great.  If she was that sheltered, would she take offense to the actual definition? He hoped not, because his mouth was already running, and it was coming out like-it-or-not. She'd have to get over it!

"I meant were you flirting with me, you know? Commenting about me smelling nice and all."

A'liran? She asked you a question a moment ago

I knooooooow

"And you said something about a fence?" A'liran asked as Astoreth supplied the question anyhow. A'liran inserted his new knowledge into the conversation seamlessly. "I'd love to help you put one up! It wouldn't be any trouble...just an afternoon project I guess. If you can talk someone into getting the wood, I'll slap it together for ya."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

She was so fearful of the man thinking that she was violent that when she realized the new, wide-eyed look on his face was one of barely contained laughter Aparicus was completely at a loss.  Was he… Was he laughing at her?  Was he laughing at her fear?  Or was he laughing at the way she looked waving her hands around?  Maybe he was laughing at the idea of her actually hitting someone – she had no misbeliefs at how weak she was compared to men, such as himself.  Even if she wanted to be violent and hit someone she’d never do damage.  Not like men could do to her…

Seeing him wave his own hand and chuckle, she stared at him a long time with a look of pure confusion on her face.  It took her a moment to realize that he had never mistaken her for being violent and thinking about hitting him, which was a brief flicker of a relief.  As his explanation followed, however, the look of confusion sat a moment longer on her features before understanding dawned on her and her face slowly but steadily turned a bright rose.

Turn after turn of living in the cothold where women were an expendable work force and men were highly superior, Apari had at first been confused by the way some men flirted with the women at the Weyr and she had asked her bunk-mate about it after watching the exchange happen between men and women.  Sometimes even between men and men.  At first she had thought it was a nice thing, to see men and women complimenting eachother – being nice to eachother.  Until it had been explained to her that it often lead up to the same thing flights did – just at a slower pace.

Sex.  It didn’t help that at the Cothold, sex was taken from the women and it was a painful experience in most cases – and all of Apari’s.  So when the man before her explained that he had thought that SHE was flirting with him…  She was torn between fleeing the area or explaining that she hadn’t meant to come off that way.  Already seated on the ground, fleeing was a secondary option and she quickly began stammering out any words that came quickly enough to her mind.

“Oh.”  She had said softly as the realization dawned on her, then a much longer “Ooooh!”  escaped her lips as a hand went to her mouth.  “I-uh, No!”  The blush darkened, she shouldn’t be rude… “I mean, no Sir.”  Was he going to be upset that she hadn’t meant to flirt with him?  Was he going to be angry?  Would he turn violent?

“I mean, I hadn’t meant… I didn’t mean to sound- sound like I was f-flirting.”  She stammered and stuttered.  “I mean, the oil!  The oil would smell nice… So if you smelled like the oil… You know – after oiling your dragon… I would assume… You’d smell nice too.”

Oh Faranth help her, he was going to think she was a sharding idiot…

“I mean – er – I don’t mean to say – that you don’t smell good now… I don’t know how you smell now.”  BLUSH!  “I mean – I’m sitting upwind of you, so I can’t smell you…”  Oh god, she didn’t want to make him think she was rude and saying he stunk!  “I mean, you probably smell good… I would assume you didn’t stink…  I… er… but…  Oh shards.”

At this point she gave up, burying her bright red face in her hands with their gnarled fingers.  The times she wished she could be like the dragons and simply jump between on a whim.  Completely embarrassed and lost for all words, she missed his comments about the lumber and fence – thinking more and more that getting up so that she could flee the area might not be a terrible idea after all.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Oh, sweet shards of the first egg, was she cute.

A'liran watched her flustered response with a mildly endeared expression, touched with just a hint of disbelief. It was hard to think that anyone who'd spent any time at the weyr could be so modest or so unacquainted with the realities of sexuality, but he didn't question it. There were, as he'd once claimed himself, some 'weird fuckers' around at Katila.

"Whoa, hun," he said, lifting one hand in an effort to calm her down. He wasn't sure what else to do! How was he supposed to deal with a girl who almost fell to pieces just over a little misunderstanding over flirting? It was cute, kind of funny, but he also had no desire to see it escalate. He reminded himself to play nice and flashed her another smile. "Don't worry your pretty head, all right? I was just asking is all....I'm a greenrider, you know. People hit o-....flirt with me all the time." Though both were true. A'liran almost always had some bruising at the very least after his dragon's frequent flights. That was beside the point, though. It was a shame he didn't know more about Apari, though. He could have told her that he understood. He wasn't shy about talking about it, though...nor shy on inviting more violence on himself.

"It happens all the time, it's just that people are so round about when they do it...I'd rather em just get it out in the open. That's all." He shrugged. "For what it's worth, I appreciate it when a lady flirts with me, but I'd rather go for a man."

It was true. Women were more delicate, and A'liran liked it rough. He'd been interested in both sexes even before Impression, but riding green had diluted his desire to take women as lovers. He was presented with as many male suitors as he could handle, and well...he wasn't fond of how flights with women ended up. A'liran often outright attacked his winners, trying to hurt them before they could hurt him...but when he found himself on the other end of a female bluerider, the strategy was a lot less preemptive and a lot more unpleasant. He had no control of it, but he didn't like it one bit.

Maybe that was why female-ridden dragons chased him so rarely. They knew.

Of course, out of flight encounters with women went much smoother. He was gentle and courtly, if not a little snarky and untamed, but he would never knowingly lay a cruel hand on a woman. That made flights sting even more; he knew what it felt like tobe brutalized by a fflight partner. As much as he enjoyed other men, they did it to him all the time.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

As his words meant to reassure her slowly reached her ears, she spread her fingers enough to peek through them.  Studying him for a moment longer, she finally brought them away from her face.  She was still flushed from embarrassment, but he didn’t sound angry and he certainly didn’t look angry.  If anything he looked… amused as he flashed her another smile.  Angry terrified her, but amused she could handle.  Thank goodness he didn’t think she was calling him stinky!

The mention that he preferred men helped her also calm down over the misconception that she had been flirting with him.  It had taken her forever to realize that some men preferred to have sex with other men, but when it was explained further to her that a lot of men preferred it so much that they didn’t want to have sex with women… well she found that to be a wonderful thing.  Not all men were alike.  And here was one in front of her who was admitting to not being angry about the flirting, but that he’d still prefer men.

She was okay with that.  He could have all the men he wanted and her fair share too.

“Then… then you’re not upset with me?  For seeming to flirt, I mean?”  She asked, hesitantly as she mustered up her fledgling courage.  “If you like it, but still prefer men, then I guess it might not be so dangerous.”

[sub]Muse totally face-planted a wall right at the end of the post and I'm not sure where I should float the thread next.  Sorry if it's lacking in useable substance.  T_T[/sub]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

He raised an eyebrow. "Why would I be angry at you?" he asked.

Ast, this chick is confusing me

Don't think too hard, A'liran the dragon said, dryer and dry and more than a little amused.

Unannounced, the green appeared overhead. Her slim body cast a swift, spiraling shadow as she worked her way down to them, landing a respectful distance from the garden before pacing her way over. She paid little attention to Aparicus, though she did rumble a gentle greeting to her rider. She poked her nose at him, earning a wily laugh as he looped one arm around her snout and squeezed. He kissed her soft hide, then looked back to Aparicus.

"Seriously though, I have no reason to be mad at you, hun. And this is Astoreth, by the way."

The green acknowledged the girl, turning her head towards her and letting out the softest croons as a greeting. She wasn't overly friendly or overly interested, but she was polite and, perhaps more importantly, calm.

You have quite the effect on females. This one was horrified of you only moments ago the green teased lightly. She laid down, curling up neatly in the grass with her wings folded carefully at her back, well mannered and out of the way of the garden. She wasn't sure why the humans valued some plants over others, but they did. Humans had such very strange habits.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

When he asked why he would be angry at her, Aparicus could hear the confusion on his voice and it made her want to hide her face all over again, though only slightly and it was an urge she could fight this time as he reassured her quickly that there was no reason to be mad.  Of course, the distraction of a dragon landing and joining the man may have been part of the reason the young woman did not hide her face once more.  Instead, her mouth fell slightly open and she quickly lifted a handful of fingers to cover it.

“Glory-bless.”  She whispered.  Two turns of living in the Weyr and around dragons and she would never tire of looking upon them.  They were so gracefully made and beautiful.  Her eyes trailed along the dragon’s light green front and was mesmerized as it faded into it’s mossy-green band and to a dark green of a healthy forest. 

“She’s beautiful!”  she finally let out a tad louder as she climbed to her feet.  Brushing off her skirt, she did a little curtsy for the small green dragon before barely managing to tear her eyes away to look at the green’s rider once more.

“I’m sorry, even after two turns at Katila, I forget that I am far from home and that people are so different here.  Back home folks would have been angry.  It’s not the woman’s place to be forward with a man.”  Even as she explained herself to the young man, her arms were wrapped around her thin waist as she smiled at Astoreth.

“It’s wonderful to meet you, Astoreth.  Your rider…”  She found herself caught short suddenly, wanting to add in a name and suddenly realizing that through the whole conversation they had failed to introduce each other, only the dragon, she blushed and stumbled on.  “Said that you like good smelling oil.  I hope you don’t mind if I make you some?”  Cheeks still warm, she gave the rider another embarrassed smile.  “I’m sorry, my name is Aparicus, I think I’ve forgotten to mention it.”

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Now that was something to bring a smile to a man's face. Just as Aparicus never tired of looking at dragons, a dragonman would never tire of speaking of his beast. A'liran smiled widely as he reached out to stroke Astoreth's neck, caressing her tender hide gently and evoking from her the most pleasant of rumbles.

"She says hello," A'liran informed Apari. He nodded in quiet recognition of her explanation. So she was from a particuylarly conservative hold? Not that it was unusual. Even the most open-minded places still had rigid social rules regarding all manner of people, and perhaps most frequently women. "I gotcha. Back home was like that, too. My mother was really tender-footed around my father, but I suppose it could have been worse." Still, he ground his teeth sourly at the memory. It probably wasn't even as bad as he remembered it, but it still riled him.

At this rate, your battles will never end Astoreth said as she slid her nose forward to delicately sniff at the plants. They were so fragrant! She would have liked to gnaw at them, but something told her that wouldn't be proper manners. She spoke in spite of her own understanding of A'liran; the fight drove him, whoever it might be for. He primarily flew the greenrider banner these days, but he remembered being unsettled, if not outright offended by the treatment of women in his home hold.

It was funny to think back on now. He'd been a sexist too, all those turns ago. Nothing like some men, but still a little. That was how hold life was. It was what his family taught him. He was called 'out of line' for making only passing protests to the treatment of women, but now he regretted not speaking up more. Things really changed when you saw how the other half lived, and while he was no woman, he was bonded to a lovely lady dragon...and in the  Weyr, that wasn't enough of a difference to matter.

"Well, I'm not like that," was all he said verbally, smiling at her, though the fire was there behind his gaze.

Astoreth shuffled a bit and yawned. Aparicus roused her attention with her question. I certainly wouldn't mind the dragon said, almost surprised by the gesture. Her eyes flushed blue and she slowly extended her neck, sniffing at Aparicus from a safe distance, though the dragon's ht breath could undoubtedly be felt.

A'liran smirked. "A'liran," he said.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

If the mention of the green saying hello didn't already set Aparicus' face alight, when the green spoke directly to her it showed in her new smile of delight.  The hot air that blew over her had the petite woman quickly unwrapping her arms from her waist to catch and hold her ever-flying hat to her head with a musical laughter.

It didn't take a person long to realize that Aparicus didn't hide her feelings - feelings that could change faster than the weather at sea.  She was a rollercoaster of emotions, but she was so open about it and sincere it made a person wonder if the girl could ever lie if she needed to.

"Then it's a promise, beautiful Astoreth."  She said, smiling at the dragon.  "You chose a good rider in A'liran."  With that her lit face turned back to the green rider.  "I'll ask for a nice jar to make keep the oil in when I make it when I ask for the wood for a proper fence.  I hope you'll both enjoy it."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

The dragon's purr grew even louder. She seemed to glow in delight at the compliments she received. A promise well-received. You are most kind the dragon said, amused, though not maliciously so. While she may have been a terror during her cycle, Astoreth was a mild-mannered though dry creature on most days.

She chittered softly at Aparicus' compliment of A'liran. I believe you're right. He's very sweet to me, even though he IS a stupid man she said teasingly, her words free for him to hear as well. She very carefully emphasized the word 'man', poking fun at A'liran for being the odd one out gender-wise. Aparicus obviously feared male humans, so Astoreth saw an opportunity to make the woman laugh (hopefully) and make fun of her beloved rider at the same time.

He frowned at her and gave her a slap to the neck. "Stupid man?" he asked derisively, though the fondness continued to show through. "What are you, a big sexist cow?"

Astoreth huffed haughtily. Your insults lack elegance. Like all men, she said with finality, for no reason other than to watch him scowl and ponder a response. What did one say to that?

Astoreth was no fool, though. She'd sensed that fear. She slipped privately into Apari's mind and left a whisper: Do not fear him. He has a deep love for all those who need protection she said. She couldn't understand the depths, but she did know that this human girl was delicate, and A'liran was...abrasive. That was a good word.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

With her hat in less danger of flying off now that the dragon was purring rather than sniffing, Aparicus was free to cover her mouth with gnarled fingers once more as she blushed at the dragon’s comment of A’liran being sweet, but stupid.  She had smiled at the joke, though she never was sure when a dragon was speaking with one or all.  She was just about ready to put in that she thought him sweet as well, though he seemed far from stupid, but the playful slap to the dragon’s neck caught the words in her throat.

Astoreth sensed correctly as even that fond and playful slap caused her to hesitate.  It was the dragon’s whisper only that kept her from stepping back or from her smile fading completely.  Shivering slightly, Aparicus swallowed before forcing her smile to broaden ever so slightly.  “Oh she doesn’t look like a cow to me, just as you don’t strike me as stupid.  You both strike me as silly though.  Do you always call each other names?”  And hit each other?  she was quick enough to cut off the last question before speaking it, but she took a breath and said softly to the dragon, though it was fruitless to lower her voice while the man could still hear just fine – “And I’ll try to remember that.”

[sub]Ahhhh, terrible short.  T_T  Sorry![/sub]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Astoreth turned an indignant eye to her ride. A'liran she said pleasantly, once more allowing her smooth but deep voice to spread to Aparicus as well. You have forgotten that I am much larger than you. Then, with the grace and indifference of a feline, she butted her snout into his chest and knocked him on his back, earning a deep grunt as he landed windless in the grass. Astoreth's rumbling increased as she laid her head on his exposed belly, exhaling deeply and puffing her warm breath into his face.

A'liran laughed. "You bratty gal.." he said, rubbing the dragon's snout fondly. He glanced over to Aparicus, hoping the seemingly flighty girl hadn't been upset by his little play-scuffle with his lifemate.

"She's fooling you with her mind tricks," he informed Apari, factual and stern. "She's really a watchwher in disguise!" His seriousness didn't last long, though, before he broke out into a fond laugh.

Seriously, though. Get off of me, baby girl

Astoreth crooned, as if to laugh, and lifted her head. A'liran sat up and dusted the grass from himself. "We do," he said, unable to avoid another cheerful little laugh. He gave Astoreth's snout a light shove, causing her to snort dramatically at him. Afterwards, she coiled herself neatly beside him, allowing him to lean against her like an overgrown couch. They looked perfectly comfortable lying there together, like they belonged nowhere else.

"It's just fun, though. Ast has a good sense of humor, don't you baby girl?"

Indeed I do, 'baby boy' the dragon replied cheekily, but calm.

A'liran shot her a look, then snorted. "Always gotta have the last word, this one," he said. A'liran was oblivious to how his little scrap with Astoreth had unsettled Apari, and he certainly hadn't heard the breathed comment. Astoreth wasn't as sensitive as some dragons, but through observation alone she'd come to suspect that Aparicus was a fragile one indeed.

Still, she couldn't understand how anyone could be afraid of him.

Wordlessly, she pushed her head forward. She sniffed softly at Apari and waited, looking at the girl with intense curiosity, studying her and waiting to see if the girl would be bold enough to touch her.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Aparicus’ hands had flown to her mouth as the dragon knocked the man off his feet and proceeded to use him as a pillow.  Braving a few steps forward, her eyes were wide and she couldn’t begin to explain the reassurance she felt when the man laughed and rubbed the dragon’s snout.  If he was laughing, it meant it wasn’t hurt right?  And laughing… that meant he wasn’t angry at the dragon.

They were playing.

The woman’s eyes danced as she smiled at the watchwher comment, thinking in her head that the dragon was far too beautiful to ever be compared to such an ugly, mean creature as a watchwher like the one that had been kept at the cothold only because it’d have been too much trouble to kill.  Watching the man lean comfortably against his dragon, Aparicus couldn’t help but be envious.  They were so comfortable together and happy.  That, that was how life should always be for everyone.  Comfortable, happy and no fear of pain or anger.

When the dragon stretched out her neck to sniff at Apari, she quickly put one hand on her hat to hold it on her head as the warm breath washed over her and shifted her skirts again.  Even so, the smile on the woman’s face couldn’t be louder.  It was times like this that the woman was glad (though not fully understanding as to why) her phobia only extended to human touch.  She was not afraid to touch the little felines that wandered around the Weyr or even the mighty dragons when they were friendly.  In fact, she enjoyed that touch very much – Probably because she lacked such touch in any other aspect of her carefully secluded life.

Reaching out her other hand gingerly, she let her finger tips run across the tip of the dragon’s muzzle lightly at first before spreading them more firmly and bringing down her second hand to caress the beautiful green hide.  “A’liran is so lucky to have found such a partner.”  She whispered only because her breath was caught at the softness of the hide.  She’d never tire of its feel no matter how many dragon’s she greeted and caressed.  Of course, with both hands exploring the dragon’s face, with her next exhale the wide brimmed, white hat went flying from the woman’s head and she blushed as she laughed, hesitating going after it just yet for not wanting to let go of the dragon.  It’d not fly out of the garden, that was one good thing about the little, wobbly stone wall.

"If you ever need a second pair of hands to help wash her when the weather is warm, please let me know.  I'd be more than willing to help, A'liran."  Aparicus added, a bright smile turned toward the rider once more.  While he had hit his dragon, he had never grown angry.  And even though she had mistakenly flirted with him, he hadn't grown angry then either.  A good man.  A good patient man.  Pern needed more of such men.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)