World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Winter 01.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [P] 743.07.19 | All Strung Up
8am | Chironhes, T'ryn

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

Written By: BardlyThere
It had been a while, but K'dar still a clear idea of his old favorite fishing spot back down near Katila, nestled in the eastern hunting range past the farms. It wasn't anything terribly fancy back then, just a broader and deeper bend in one of the larger creeks that snaked through the jungle in a bit of a clearing that should allow the dragons ample space to land. The clearing was a little more overgrown now, the edges of the creek Tiberuth gently landed next to had carved the bank into a steeper little drop off into the water instead of its original gentle slope, but otherwise it still looked familiar enough that K'dar took a look around and pointed off further into the wilds. "That way probably. I think I remember plentiful game trails."

He turned to T'ryn to verify; he knew that his brother had also been hunting in the region, though he wasn't sure how recently it had been. Either way it was a good place to unload their supplies and adjust to the familiar heat of the jungle. He turn to grin at Chir as he shrugged off his jacket to stow away. "You probably have never been anywhere this warm before huh? You should probably make sure your canteens are full." These sorts of hunting and fishing trips were the only times he was fine with being up and about so early in the morning.

Tiberuth eagerly looked around the jungle. He had not been down here very often, most of what he knew had come from K'dar's memories, and so it was still a delightfully novel place ripe for exploration. His tail swished curiously as he looked around, taking a deep breath to sniff at the air. I think it would be more pleasant if it was drier, but it isn't terrible. K'dar smiled and gave his bronze a pat before he finished getting his hunting gear down. "Maybe we can try to come down here more often for fishing trips if you really want. If S'far lets us take another day off again." He chuckled at that thought and turned to his brother. "Think he'd ever agree to go hunting with the two of us, T? Leave everything to Mulrissa for a day?"

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair
Curly dark brown to black

Threads

Written By: vet
Chir's second time Between was less harrowing than the first. Granted, this time, he wasn't at risk of bleeding out from deep wounds, and he had the previous 'I survived' experience to make this trip easy in comparison. As they arrived in the new location, the blast of heat had the youth almost wishing to return to the icy chill Between. Before Tiberuth even had a chance to land, Chir was leaning forward across his back to shuck off the jacket without smacking K'dar in the face in the process. The temperatures were almost oppressing enough to make the boy neglect to look around their new surroundings as Tiberuth coasted down to a clearing near a broad creek.

Able to unstrap himself without K'dar's help this time, Chir slid off Tiberuth's back and scratched the dragon gratefully as he looked around. Remembering how K'dar enjoyed fishing and had even mentioned a favored spot, Chir idly wondered if perhaps this was it. Looking across the stretch of water, the dawn light highlighted Fy-bys swarming above the flowing creek's surface, and he smiled when he spotted a Yellow-stripe breach it to gulp down a flock of the gnat-like insects. It was a good spot for fishing. Which meant it would be a good spot for hunting. An area's waterways told much about the health of all around it.

Reaching up, Chir fetched his bag from where it had been secured and tugged his bow from the knapsack. While the brothers discussed where to start, the young hunter silently strung his bow and slung it over his shoulder along with his quiver.

He shook his head in response to K'dar's question. Definitely not. After a beat, he admitted, I prefer the cold. Adding layers was easy enough, but the heat brought with it sweat before one even had a chance to do anything to earn it. Already, he felt the sticky hint of it between his shoulder blades. But he wasn't going to complain; that he was out here breathing in the fresh air away from the Weyr was more than enough to make his steps light with excitement.

Chir nodded at the Weyr Second's indication to ensure his canteens were full. The boy had made sure to do so before leaving, but he pulled them out anyway to double-check. Nothing could ruin a day of hunting faster than thirst and the need to locate water sooner rather than later.

As the others settled their own gear, the boy's eyes scanned the jungle trails K'dar had indicated. Crouching down at the head of one of the trails, Chir searched for any tracks to follow. There were a few to choose from, and habit had him picking out the cloven prints of boar. But others were evident as well, including that of Felines. They had options, for sure!

Returning to the others, Chir practically bounced on his feet, eager to get started.

T'ryn
of Bronze Syrendryth

Date of Birth
17.04.722, 22
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Lean, fit
Hair
Blonde, shorter

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
It hadn’t taken too much to persuade S’far into letting their little trio go South for a day, though T’ryn had a suspicion that A’tay was going to be used as a blonde bronze substitute until he returned. He’d apologise to his brother later, maybe with some Katila spices for his cooking. He had also borrowed Lady to send a letter to D’ren to inform the Katila leader that they would be in the area the following day for a little light hunting and that he, at least, would stop in and bring more news of the North. He knew the retired riders still made their way North on occasion and that they received letters and visitors as well, but T’ryn didn’t mind making the promise of a visit and learning how they were all doing as well.

But it had been over a year since the last trip to Katila and as soon as they appeared, T’ryn gave a grunt of displeasure. He forgot exactly how hot and humid it could be, especially after the shock of between. He was definitely becoming a northerner, especially with his time in Telgar. At least in Ista he had the heat and it wasn’t as jarring as it was now. The things he did for his dragon’s happiness. Do not put your lack of tolerance to such fine weather on me. I would say you’ve grown weak in general but it could be the poison. T’ryn rubbed his dragon’s neck affectionately but didn’t say anything. It had started out like it would be another sassy comment but turned into concern so he let it slide. Besides, maybe it was a lingering side effect of being poisoned?

They landed without issue and T’ryn removed the straps from Syrendryth so the great bronze could lounge properly in the heat before turning his focus on his own comfort and removing his gear. T’ryn set his jacket aside and laughed at K’dar’s dream that was far too outlandish to even consider having a chance in present conditions. “Only if you step down.” The Leader and Second never left the Weyr at the same time, or all that often on their own really. It was kind of surprising that K’dar did get the position and not just for being a dragonrider for only a couple of years. S’far and K’dar had a lot of hobbies in common and they would make great companions for the trips out for fishing and hunting. T’ryn imagined K’dar would even like woodworking if given a shot at it.

“Anyway, you’re right about plentiful game. Or you were. It’s been over a year since my last trip with N’mor. But boars frequent this area and felines are known to roam here at times as well so keep a sharp eye out.” He took another moment to inspect his bow, adjusted his quiver, and then made sure his knife was easily accessible just in case. Seeing the enthusiasm on Chir’s face, T’ryn offered for the younger man to take the lead and track if he’d like. He knew how much Chironhes missed hunting and Syrendryth had gleaned enough from his mind to know hunting made the boy feel useful as well. So T’ryn was extremely happy with not being in charge and letting the other two do their thing as he provided an extra pair of eyes to watch their backs and perhaps have a chance to bring a nice hide home for Cazan.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

K'dar let out a chuckle as Tiberuth relayed Chir's preference for the cold. "I think I like it better too. At least better than this sticky sort of hotness." It wasn't easy to breathe down here, or at least not as easy as back in Telgar. He wasn't sure if it was the heat or the humidity yet that was bothering him but after a racking cough he held up a hand. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Just had to get that one out. The healers said it could happen for a while, but it should get better. Maybe not my voice though." It's really not that bad. You sound a little hoarse when you say certain sounds, but it's more like you have an edge of a rumbling growl like a fine and distinguished dragon. And most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference from your normal voice anyway.

The bronze didn't need to say "and at least you have a voice" for K'dar to pick up on the sentiment. He didn't say anything though, taking a small sip of his own water before tucking it away. "And I don't think I'd step down for a hunting trip with S'far. I actually like doing the work more than I thought I would. It's interesting." He paused and tilted his head as he considered something else and added, "If I ever become Weyrleader you can't be my Second. I do like hunting and fishing with you."

With another check of his own gear, and after loosening the lacing on his shirt to allow a little more air, he started to follow along. Tiberuth set off into the sky to lazily circle overhead. He made sure he was always near enough to continue relating conversations and also so that if something went terribly wrong with a feline encounter he could try to help. They could be vicious and dangerous after all, and while he had every confidence that the bronzerider brothers could handle things it was better to be safe, especially with a candidate along.

He did spot a bit of movement in a tree up ahead in the distance, and adjusted his course to avoid spooking anything as he softly spoke to the hunters, I think I saw a feline in one of the trees, a dark colored thing. He focused on the tree in question as K'dar took a peek through his eyes and. The bronzerider caught Chir's attention and gave a subtle point to it. "In there, it may have been climbing down I think. Up to you if we try to avoid it or go after it."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes enjoyed the easy brotherhood between T'yrn and K'dar. Without his own siblings, the relationship struck him as a more profound friendship than any he'd known. Even being allowed to just be near the pair with their teasing and ribbing felt like a gift, and one he'd not squander. Despite his eagerness, the boy did not interrupt the pair and waited patiently for their readiness.

But when K'dar doubled over with a fierce cough, the boy held stiff with worry. Did something happen? Was it poison? Was it the mystery attacker?! His muscles were taut as a pulled bowstring, ready to rush forward to do...something, but he held his place at K'dar's lifted hand. Only when they were given reassurances that it was his lingering malady did the tension ease from Chir's body.

With everyone finally in order, the young hunter perked at the opportunity to take point in their hunt. He gave an affirmative nod, a smile finding its way to his face once again.

More confident in the wilds than he'd even been in the Weyr, Chir walked with sure steps between the dense trees compared to the way he typically hunched himself and kept his head down back home. This was his element! S'far had found him on a bad day, sure, but the boy had gone years on his own without an incident as bad as that. It had been bound to happen at some point.

Even with the thick leaf litter underfoot, the jungle kept it all wet enough that there was no crunch with each step the trio took. While the boy kept his head on a swivel, keeping a lookout for danger, much of his focus lay in scanning the undergrowth for signs of any quarry passing through. Tracks, broken branches, drag marks, and more told a story to the youth better than any book had so far.

Just as Tiberuth sent them a warning, Chir paused in his forward motion to crouch at tracks in the mud. She must be after the sow and piglets, he noted. There was evidence of furrows everywhere here. Lifting his gaze, he spotted the movement K'dar had and tugged his bow from his shoulder, and pulled an arrow from his quiver to have it in hand.

When given the option to hunt or avoid the predator, Chir snorted. Take it, of course. It's after a sow and her young. The boy didn't think to add that preserving mothers would ensure the young would have a better chance at reaching maturity themselves, considering the knowledge common.

The boy's hand shot out in warning to K'dar and T'yrn before they could continue on, the smile gone from his face and a serious cast to his eyes. He wasn't sure what caught his attention, but he'd learned to trust his instincts.

A yowl to the right was answered by the Feline ahead. A pair. We can split and take both at once or one at a time, but we risk the second either running off or attacking if we do it that way. However, if they split up, the risk of injury also went up. A Feline would be far more willing to stand its ground against a single hunter compared to two or three. If we split, we can all come from different directions.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

K'dar was happy with Chir's decision to go after the feline, it made for a more interesing hunt in his opinion, and would make for better prizes to bring back. If they managed to bag more than one he could see about getting a little blanket made for Wes or the baby maybe. So when he heard the other feline he couldn't help but consider it good luck. "Hopefully we can get both."

Splitting up was risky, but they did have the dragons as back up and they all were experienced hunters, even if he personally preferred to fish. K'dar nodded, gesturing at T'ryn to move off to the side as Tiberuth clarified the plan and that K'dar would be staying with Chir. Now he just had to hope that T didn't get mauled or mangled by a feline or Caz would kill him. Or Mal. Possibly both. Up above, Tiberuth continued his lazy circle to make sure he could keep facilitate communication. And if needed come crashing down in a glorious raging ball of roars. Hopefully he wouldn't have to, it would be quite undignified.

Don't miss if a feline turns on you. I'll do my best, K'dar thought with a smile. So long as they didn't wander too far apart from each other it would likely be fine, they knew how to traverse the jungle well enough to get to each other if needed, and Chir was proving he was just as handy with the terrain. The flicker of movement caught his eye and he brought his bow to the ready in a smooth motion as he tracked it through the trees. He loosed his arrow right as the feline jumped, only catching it in the flank with a loud and angry yowl as it disappeared into some brush.

K'dar bit back a curse as he nudged Chir and pointed in the direction the creature had moved to in case he'd somehow missed it. He again let the mute boy lead since in all honesty he probably really was a better hunter. Tiber, let T know there's a pissed feline running around with a gimpy leg. I'm sure he'll be overjoyed, the dragon remarked before passing the information on.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir nodded with a wince. He'd seen it. Felines had nasty tempers on a good day. Injured, they were absolutely volatile. Unlike other creatures, they were more apt to seek vengeance. Purposefully relaxing his grip on his bow to avoid excessive tension, the boy continued forward to the spot where K'dar's arrow had struck. After only a moment of searching, he found spots of blood bright and sticky along the leaves of a bush. Peering up, he judged the distance and direction the Feline must have fled through the trees above. Making an educated guess, he forged forward and was rewarded when he found more blood. He pointed it out in silence to K'dar before looking around. The injured Feline wasn't the only one around, and if they weren't careful, the other would flank them.

It is heading towards T'ryn,Chir confirmed with thin lips. Continuing to track it would only bring them closer to their third party member, increasing the likelihood of mistaken friendly fire. Opting to leave the injured one to T'ryn's expertise, Chir led K'dar back the way they'd come and squatted to wait a moment. Closing his eyes, the boy listened to the forest. Even if it wasn't Lemos, every forest had its tells. This hot and humid one carried sound faster, leaving less time to react in a pinch. With that now in mind, he opened his eyes as he listened.

The sudden flight of a flock of canaries to their right had Chir twisting and knocking an arrow simultaneously. He'd loosed the arrow on instinct, reacting in the span of a heartbeat as the Feline leaped at K'dar with paws spread wide and claws stretched out. His arrow struck it right in the thoracic inlet where the neck, shoulder, and chest all met, burying deep along the shaft until only the last fourth of his arrow stuck out. The jungle cat crashed in a heap on the forest floor, wet leaves tossed as its body rolled and slid to a stop at the hunters' feet.

Chir was only dimly aware of the way his heart hammered against his chest as he looked to K'dar to assure himself that he was fine. It had been so fast. Too fast. What if he'd missed? What if he'd not been so prepared? In silence, he battled down his panic. It served no purpose here or now when none of what he feared had come to pass.

Only after satisfying himself with K'dar's safety did Chir bend to examine the Feline. Its coat was as golden as Malvayth's with thick black marbled stripes going down its back and spots down its long legs. It was no golden wherry, but maybe it would suffice.

T'ryn
of Bronze Syrendryth

Date of Birth
17.04.722, 22
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Lean, fit
Hair
Blonde, shorter

Threads

T'ryn silently stepped, rolling from heel to ball with every step as he moved to a better position. He had spotted the feline moments earlier but didn't have a clear line on her and didn't want to risk a bad shot that might miss entirely or only wound the creature. But he was still far enough away and down wind that he hadn't been detected by the time he raised his bow, sighted down the arrow, and slowed his breathing so he could find and make the killing shot.

There!

He released the shot and held frozen as the arrow zipped toward its target and found its mark, burying deep within the feline. When she fell and seemed to not be moving, T'ryn nocked another arrow, just in case, and made his way toward her. He often felt bad for hunting the creatures, especially when they were so unsuspecting like this one, but felines were a danger to humans and her death would also provide for a few people.

Before he could examine his kill, Tiberuth's warning came to him and T'ryn quickly nudged the body with his foot to ensure it wasn't going to jump him and then turned to scan the area around him. He had probably just killed the wounded one's mate and now it would be even more pissed off with nothing to lose. He knew the direction in which the other two had gone but focusing his attention solely in that area would mean his death. The feline could stalk around him, especially if it already knew of the death and was now hunting him. So blue eyes continued to scan the forest around him while ears tried to listen for even the most subtle of shifting sounds.

And then he realised he really was being stalked--and toyed with. He couldn't say if it was the injured one or not, or even if it was only the one, but he would hear a low rumbling growl in one section, turn to it, and see the leaves of brush blowing in the wind but no sign of the feline. I have alerted Tiberuth that you might be surrounded. He will get the others there. Focus on where they are. Likely one to either side of you.

T'ryn nodded and continued listening to pinpoint exactly where the damned creature was so he could try to keep it and the area in some sort of peripheral view. I've got it, he hoped it was the only one but in case it wasn't, T'ryn had waited until it was to his left since his friends would be coming from his right and covering his back--hopefully with better aim. Once he finally got sight of the feline's side, he loosed the arrow, striking it and causing a roar of anger. It burst from the brush it had been using as cover but didn't make it far before falling to the side.

Another look around him seemed to show it really only was one playing with him. T'ryn went to the second feline that was in fact the warned about injured one so he could draw his knife and put the feline out of its misery. Maybe it was already time to call the trip successful and go home.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

K'dar had to admit Chir was fast, he'd only half turned around to spot the feline by the time he saw the arrow whizzing by to slam home. He couldn't help but grin at the rush of adrenaline his heart sent coursing through his veins. "Nice shot!" He kept his voice down but it was hard to hide how impressed he was. He was crouched down, inspecting the shot and the beast when Tiber passed on Syrendryth's message and he immediately straightened, "Gotta go check on T'ryn, bring that if you can."

He didn't stop to wonder if Chir could move the cat or not, his brother's safety was a bit more important than bringing back a prize after all. Instead he moved quickly, time in the jungle as a youngster keeping an eye on and finding siblings and friends (especially a wayward wandering Zory) had given him an ability to track that he wasn't quite aware of. He didn't so much look for the signs of T'ryn's passage as he just trusted in his gut's interpretation of the signs his eyes and brain processed in the background.

In his rush he didn't bother to move too quietly, tromping and tearing through the foliage as he went hoping to either scare off or at least distract anything coming for T'ryn. Just in case, please, please, please, tell T'ryn not to shoot me when I come out of here. K'dar could feel the bronze rolling his eyes at the poorly thought out plan but quickly complied with the request, informing the adopted brother that it was just K'dar tearing through the jungle so loudly and not some sort of murderous beast. K'dar popped out of the foliage, huffing and puffing for breath, and immediately stopped to lean over, propping his hands on his thighs.

"Oh good. You got them both. We got ours, Chir should be coming along any moment." He straightened up and grinned as he eyed both of the cats T'ryn had managed to shoot. "Very nice. I'll have to tell S'far-" there was a feeling of alarm, a shot of adrenaline through his veins and he turned his head just enough that he caught the movement in time to scowl, right hand instinctively balling into a fist as he pivoted around and dug in to use as much momentum as he could to propel the punch straight into the cat's nose. There was a small hiss of pain as the cat yowled and fell to the ground stunned, followed by another thud as Chir dropped the cat he'd been carrying on his shoulders and rushed forward to finish what K'dar had started with a sharp blade.

"That," K'dar said before pausing to huff and catch his breath as he pointed at the punched feline, "that still counts as mine." After a few more breaths his head began to clear and he grabbed a canteen to have a long drink before wiping the sweat from his brow. That was when he noticed the sting to his arm and his hand. He hissed as he flexed his right hand, noting it was already quite bruised and beginning to swell. "That's a much harder head than I'm used to hitting. Fuck. I don't think it's broken at least." A quick glance at his arm found at least one cut from a claw snag, but it didn't seem too bad from what he could see. "Which of you two can sew better until we get home?"

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir managed a faint smile at K'dar's compliment on his kill, still twitchy from the close call. He nodded when given the order to bring it along if he could. Not at all bothered by the weight of it, the freckled boy bent to sling the lanky cat behind his neck, its long limbs dangling in front of his arms. He winced as he felt the shaft of his arrow fracture within the dead Feline's chest from the shifted position, grateful that he'd managed such an effective kill-shot that the creature didn't feel any of it.

While K'dar hurried and stomped his way through the undergrowth, Chironhes continued with continued quiet steps, naturally careful despite the successful hunt. He knew from experience that the danger was never over. Back in an environment where his attention was required at all times, he settled into the role of sentinel with ease as he followed the bronzerider.

Hearing the brothers ahead, Chir increased his pace to meet with them. The weight across his shoulders was nothing compared to the boar he used to have to drag back in Lemos, and his steps remained light with triumph thrumming in his chest.

Chir didn't pause to think when he came to the clearing. The cat's yowl had him tossing the carcass from his shoulders and lunging forward with his blade before the stunned Feline could gather itself back up to charge. With practiced force, Chir drove the blade deep into the chest just behind the elbow twice, three times in quick succession until the animal didn't rise. The boy panted over the cat, his free hand braced along the curve of its slack jaw.

K'dar's irritable comment surprised a snort of laughter from Chir as he sat back on his heels. He really was a better fisherman than a hunter, wasn't he? Swiping his bloodied blade against his pants, Chir stood to cast another look around. He certainly hoped there were no more predators in the area, the drain of adrenaline already dogging his heels.

When asked about applying stitches, Chir shrugged his shoulders. He could manage a bandage, but he admittedly had ugly stitches. The task was better left to someone else. Hopefully, T'ryn was better about field care.

T'ryn
of Bronze Syrendryth

Date of Birth
17.04.722, 22
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Lean, fit
Hair
Blonde, shorter

Threads

T’ryn had his bow back in hand, though he remained crouched as he scanned the area once more. It was foolish to come back to an area they hadn’t scouted properly in at least a year, though the few people he spoke with at Katila had said the area was still relatively safe. They had mentioned felines were closing in but he didn’t think it would be this bad, especially with the boar tracks they still spotted. When he heard something ploughing through the jungle, he assumed it was K’dar but given his luck, it would also be a boar charging him so the string was drawn back and raised just in case.

But Tiberuth did ensure it was just his rider still on a path of destruction to get to him. T’ryn pointed the arrow to the ground but he didn’t release the tension just in case—the dragon had good vision but he couldn’t see through trees. And then he was seeing the strangest sight. K’dar punched a feline that apparently still had been stalking and circling him. But he didn’t stop to marvel at his stupidity for letting down his guard as he lifted to aim for a clean and clear shot.

Only to have Chironhes come bursting out of nowhere and jump the feline. T’ryn changed his aim at the last second and shot the arrow toward a tree a couple of feet wide from where the boy and feline were. Too much adrenaline made it impossible for him to do anything else but he was thankful he still had quick reflexes, likely thanks to having one year old twins. He actually couldn’t even lower his arms after taking the shot as he shook with anger he was trying not to let escape. What the fuck was wrong with these two? K’dar was joking about it and Chironhes seemed proud—which sure, fine. He jumped and stabbed a feline. Still stupid!

Finally he forced himself to lower the bow and focus on K’dar being injured. He wanted to blame the idiot for punching a wild animal but it was his own fault. He let his guard down when he should have continued a visual sweep of the area for more danger. He should have been ready to shoot as soon as the cat leapt. That guilt was the only reason why he didn’t say anything as he slung the bow over his shoulder and pulled out a vial of antiseptic and sewing equipment from a pouch. He dumped the stinging liquid on the gash that wasn’t too bad but still did a quick sewing job on it to make K’dar happy. A quick wrap of a bandage came next to help keep it from getting dirty again and T’ryn was done.

He turned back to the two felines he had killed and felt even worse about it now. He was so very done with this trip and just wanted to leave. But he couldn’t leave behind the kills and let them go to waste or assume that K’dar and Chironhes would be able to handle all of the bodies on top of not getting killed in the process. “Let’s get everything back to Syrendryth so we can get this day over with.” He wanted to return to his mate and kids and just hold them for a while. He had rushed back into hunting and knew it was pure luck that had saved him more than just skill that day.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

K'dar quietly watched his brother as he worked, he seemed to be down about something, which was odd since they'd had a good and successful hunt. Which meant it probably had to do with him getting hurt. "I'll be fine, T. It's not that bad. I probably should have been a bit more careful considering, but I just wanted to get back to you just in case. We had a good hunt though. That makes four felines with the two you got by yourself. I'm sure Cazan will be impressed."

He sighed slightly as he realized he was just trying to dodge and make excuses, and sure he'd gotten carried away, but he could still feel the sting in his chest and throat as he forced himself to take even breaths. Between potentially just over-exerting himself, being reckless, and the risk of someone getting hurt dealing with felines because they didn't bother to scout he could see why someone would be upset with him. "Hey, I'm sorry for not thinking things through a bit more. Next time we go hunting, we'll take our time, scout things out, stick close enough together that no one has to worry too much, or be startled by someone jumping out of the brush."

With T'ryn finishing up the quick stitch job on his arm he straightened up and went to grab one of the cats, heaving it over one shoulder. "If someone wants to put the other one on my other shoulder I'm sure I can get two. Just won't be moving too quickly, but that's fine. The two of you can keep an eye out for any trouble as we go, you're both better shots than me anyway, and if we take our time you'll be better able to react." K'dar paused as the other cat was helped onto his other shoulder.

"Huh... has Cazan ever eaten feline before? I wonder if Zelly has... it might be interesting to see what she does with it, even if she makes it too spicy." He couldn't handle nearly the same levels of spice as A'tay could, but he'd be willing to give it a try at least. He didn't think the taste of feline wasn't bad, but it was a more subtle meat that could probably benefit a lot from some seasoning and spice. Just not too much. Luckily they didn't encounter more than a few birds as they made their way back to the creek and Syrendryth. Tiber landed nearby as they arrived and K'dar set the carcasses down with a huff before leaning over again to catch his breath.

Fuck he could not wait until he could breathe a bit more easily again without the burning and the urge to cough. At least he managed to resist before grabbing the ropes to hang the felines from the closest trees to the dragons as he could so they could dress and skin the beasts. "Hey T, you fine with taking our time cleaning and butchering these? The meat will be better if we toss them into the creek to cool after we gut and skin them. We can clean up and cooldown in the creek too while we're at it, just have to be upstream of the felines. We've got the dragons, and we can keep one person on shore to keep an eye on things with a bow, arrow, and some spare rope just in case."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir gritted his teeth when he heard an arrow sink into the trunk of a nearby tree. A quick glance showed T'ryn had been at the ready before instinct had driven the freckled boy forward. Getting shot by the bronzerider's bow was not on the approved list of things allowed to happen before a Touching, he imagined and was grateful for T'ryn's quick reflexes. Hunting with others was a messy business, and maybe all of it hadn't been well thought out after all.

Taking T'ryn's pointed silence as he tended to K'dar's wounds for anger, Chir worried at the inside of his cheek while he kept watch. His shoulders hunched against the tension at his back, but he dared not complain and battled back his discomfort to keep either dragon from telling on him. Still, he couldn't help but wonder why. Did he think he'd stolen the kill from him? The boy's nails scratched anxiously against the bow he'd traded out for his hunting knife, digging small furrows into the worn wood.

K'dar's attempts to soothe T'ryn didn't seem to work all that well even with an apology. Nervous of making matters worse, Chir kept his peace and didn't try to add more apologies on top. In times like these, it was almost a relief to be mute. No one expected any words from him to alleviate the situation.

When K'dar asked for help with heaving another cat over his shoulder, Chir was quick to comply. While he lacked any talent in the social department, he could muscle things around with practiced ease. Eager for any excuse to do something, he gripped one of the downed Felines and tossed it over K'dar's shoulder. Only after making sure the rider didn't topple from an unequal load did Chir bend down to retrieve the one he'd stabbed. It was the most mangled from his determined kill-jabs and he didn't mind if he was covered in gore. Heart's blood was far better than guts. Draping it across both shoulders as he had the other kill, Chir kept his bow in hand with an arrow held loosely between his fingers just in case they needed defense from anything else in the jungle.

The trek out of the jungle was far less exciting than the one into it. With the drop in mood, Chir was only grateful nothing else opted to pick a fight with the obviously accomplished hunters. He stayed at the back of their convoy since he was more familiar with staying guarded and followed the others back to the riverside.

Already bloodied, the boy set to the task of helping string up their kills and started skinning and gutting the first if only to give his anxious mind something familiar to focus on. Despite the few months spent at the Weyr, the slide of his knife between fascia layers and muscle brought him back to his time at Lemos. As he devoted himself to his task, the worst of the tension between his shoulder blades leeched away.

T'ryn
of Bronze Syrendryth

Date of Birth
17.04.722, 22
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Lean, fit
Hair
Blonde, shorter

Threads

T'ryn waved off K'dar's apology and gave him a smile. See? All was fine. But he didn't say much on the walk back to the river. That was in part due to working to get under control his fear over what could have happened and his anger over how stupid they had all been in varying parts of the expedition, but a large part was due to Syrendryth. The entire walk had his dragon doing what he did best--pointing out the flaws of others. He had a lot of 'I told you so' moments and pointed out again how everyone was beneath them and it was about time for T'ryn to start acting appropriately. T'ryn was in such a mood that he found himself agreeing with Syrendryth for once and that just made him grumpier.

When they reached the river, he dumped his carcass and walked over to Syrendryth to give his dragon a hug.You talk too much, he teased, feeling a bit better from the physical contact. And you do not talk enough. Even if I let them hear what I have to say, some things need to be said by you. T'ryn gave a sigh but let it drop. He almost did say something in the heat of the moment but that was the worst time to speak. He would end up feeling worse than he already did for even letting them be in that situation.

"Sure, K'dar, that sounds good," T'ryn said with a smile that wouldn't have reached his eyes if they were open but would have given enough of an illusion that he was fine. He was so close to just packing up and going home with or without a feline in his possession but not only was that wasteful, it would leave two less pairs of eyes and defence.

He was still giving a bit more affection to his dragon before finally breaking away to tend to the task at hand. He stripped off some gear and layers as Syrendryth took up watch behind him, his eyes on the jungle for any other lurking threats. Once done, T'ryn set about the skinning. He didn't actually know what the other two hoped to do with their kills, though K'dar's wondering about some of the women in their lives eating feline meat made it clear what he thought to do with some of the spoils. He and N'mor used to make some extra marks by selling the hides to crafters at a Hold but now that he was mated to a leatherworker, T'ryn had hoped to bring back at least one hide for her to use. He knew she was working on a jacket for A'tay and it might come in handy or maybe something for the twins for their first winter where they could play in the snow.

"Fairly sure Cazan has never had feline meat but I'm not sure about Zelana. Either way, Zelana could whip something up with a bit of asking around for tips," T'ryn circled back to a conversation of minutes earlier in an attempt to be friendly and less murderous towards his fellow hunters. K'dar was far too punch-happy but T'ryn was starting to see the appeal of it as in that moment as he walked towards the other bronzerider to tend to his arm, there had been a thought to strike someone. But he had ignored the temptation because hitting someone else didn't make the self-hatred go away.

"Do either of you have any plans for any of the spoils?" Might as well ask now so there wasn't any confusion and they could prepare items appropriately.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

K'dar wasted no time in stripping off his shirt, though he made sure to keep his bow and quiver nearby and handy in case Tiber spotted or he heard anything amiss coming from the jungle. He worked on getting the feline he'd punched skinned and cleaned out, head neatly removed and shoved into a canvas game bag for safe keeping. The innards he brought to Tiberuth as a treat, something he usually did whenever he went hunting or fishing. With Tiber enjoying his treat, K'dar eyed the meat. "Well, maybe Cazan and the twins will like it. I'll probably end up smoking some of this to keep for myself. We can save some nice pieces for Zelana and A'tay too."

He considered his brother's question about plans and nodded. "Yeah, I was thinking of some sort of baby carrier, to keep him or her warm for quick trips between to visit people or travel if needed. That or just a good warm travel cloak that I can pack and give to people who might not be dressed for a quick jump between. There are a lot of possibilities, but I don't need much." K'dar thought for a moment before gesturing to the game bag which held the punched feline's head. "I'm keeping that skull for me, I'll get T'cai to clean it up for me I don't think a baby carrier will need a whole pelt, and if that's the case Cazan can keep the rest for her work. You two pick whichever hides you want and I'll take whatever is leftover; babies don't tend to be very nice to the things they use after all so it's fine if mine isn't the prettiest hide."

And speaking of babies he nodded at T'ryn. "You've got the twins, and a third coming soon enough, so you can have two hides for Cazan to work her magic with, and Chir can get something made out of a hide if he wants or just keep it for his bed or as a rug. I'm not sure if we want to try and sell the other skulls as trophies or if anyone else wants to keep them. T'cai mentioned some people like to have them cleaned up and mounted to walls instead of put into wind chimes."

Realizing that Chironhes probably had no idea who T'cai was, he turned to him and added, "He's a weyrlingmaster and searchrider in Benden, he likes to collect bones and do stuff with them. Makes them into wind chimes and other odd things." K'dar kept working, making sure that the innards were all safely disposed of in a dragon belly to prevent drawing in other predators. Fresh clean carcasses were tossed into the creek to cool down a bit more, and he waded in with them to make sure they were all secured and wouldn't go floating away before dunking himself into the water for a quick and refreshing rinse. He scrambled back up the steep bank to grab his bow and keep watch so the other two could clean up. "I'll get the meat cut up and packed after you two are done getting cleaned up. I'll keep watch in the meantime."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes kept to himself as he worked, focused on his task. With the proficiency he'd gained over years of practice, the boy had two of the four hides skinned and carried them over to the river to scrub at diligently. Shins deep in the water, he used the edge of his blade to clean the backs of each skin of any excess tissue left behind by poor technique before setting them out to dry on a nearby boulder.

T'ryn's question was answered readily enough after K'dar finished his own response. I wanted to hunt to bring something back for Cazan and Malvayth, he reminded them meekly. There was no golden wherry, but Felines would have to suffice. If they're already getting something, you can do whatever you want with the remaining.

With the hides tended to, Chir helped K'dar muscle the carcasses into the river once they were each gutted. Sensing Syrendryth's patience for all of this was as dwindling as his rider's, the boy made a point to reach into the chest of one of the Felines to retrieve a heart. Cutting it free of the great vessels holding it inside, he sloshed his way over to the bronze and held it out for him to have the first right of refusal as a peace offering. He still couldn't figure out what exactly he'd done wrong, but the tension was still palpable there between all of them and the freckled teen wanted to do what he could to try to alleviate some of it if he could.

Chir offered the next to Tiberuth, grateful the dragon wasn't broadcasting his concerns out loud for all to hear. Maybe he was getting better at keeping his thoughts to himself. A quick glance in the bronze's direction found him looking straight at him. The boy found something quite fascinating to stare at in the river instead. Maybe not.

T'ryn
of Bronze Syrendryth

Date of Birth
17.04.722, 22
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Lean, fit
Hair
Blonde, shorter

Threads

T'ryn had never been the quickest at skinning no matter how many times he had been told it worked better to move with more speed. He had to make sure it was done with as clean of strokes as he could manage and with minimal tearing. Considering this would be for Cazan's work, he definitely didn't want to produce something she couldn't use or would be embarrassed to have amongst her supplies. It was also a good way to focus and let all of his emotions drain away with each stroke of the blade. He should apologise. No you should not. Whether he should or not, he wasn't ready to voice the words.

By the time he finished, Chironhes was finishing up a second one and moving to the river with the hides. The boy had that mysterious speed he was supposed to find but T'ryn also knew that came with a lot more practice and even confidence. He wasn't too sure about getting in more practice with skinning, but T'ryn did think he'd try to get in a bit more time at the range to keep up his archery skills. Brushing off the dust and relying on luck would only carry him to success so many times before it failed hard.

And then K'dar mentioned bones and T'ryn gave him an odd look. Why would people want to put skulls on their wall? He didn't have a wind chime from T'cai but he did see that they could be multipurpose like giving an audio cue for how windy it was as well as being some form of music on top of just being decoration. Maybe a skull could be used to hang a jacket on? It was still weird and T'ryn didn't think he'd want one in the weyr since the twins would either be afraid of it or try to get to it. But if K'dar wanted the constant reminder of the day he punched a feline, he wouldn't stop him. Maybe it would remind them all to be more vigilant in their hunting.

He let the others deal with the carcasses since they both seemed so eager to do the tasks as he scanned their surroundings. When K'dar announced he'd take over while they cleaned up, T'ryn did a quick scrub at his hands and arms and called it done. He didn't need to take a bath in the river, perhaps a bonus to being slow and precise. But as he was tossing a shirt back on, he watched Chironhes with a curious expression until he realised what the boy was doing and frowned. At least Syrendryth had decided not to escalate things further by flat out ignoring the offering but gave a small shake of his head before looking back at the jungle.

"It's not personal," not entirely, at least. "Syrendryth prefers to provide for himself. But thank you for the gesture," T'ryn added, hoping to keep the peace and not upset Chironhes. He means well. I am aware. But it does not excuse the earlier issues. I'm just as much at fault, T'ryn pointed out, now that he was a bit calmer but still extremely ready to go home. He normally hunted with just N'mor and that hadn't happened in over a year, but it had been even longer since he'd gone out with K'dar. He was out of practice, K'dar was still recovering and extra paranoid, and it was obvious Chironhes was used to hunting alone. This was an ill-conceived trip that would have benefited from a lot more discussion.

"You two do what you need to do. I'll take up the watch." T'ryn announced as he slipped his quiver back on and grabbed his bow. He walked a few lengths down from Syrendryth to continue watching. He knew they were being overly cautious now but it didn't bother him after the encounters they had. And to make sure the others didn't think he was trying to get out of working on the meat and packing everything, he grinned as he called over his shoulder, "better shot, remember!"

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

K'dar tried to keep his focus on keeping watch for felines, but he couldn't help but glance over at T'ryn every now and then. He really appreciated his brother and was glad for the hunting trip, and he hoped he hadn't turned the man off of future trips because he'd forgotten himself and punched a feline. He could imagine Mylorah's scolding when hey got back and she found out. Hopefully she wouldn't be too upset. Zory would probably worry since he'd been chased by felines before. Gail would probably call him an idiot, but he was used to that.

He really needed to just spend more time with T'ryn, away from S'far, away from Cazan, away from Wes, away from any other friends and family. Just the two of them so he could ask some of the more terrifying questions about fatherhood, family, and life afterwards. It had been a very distracting line of thought, so much so that he'd almost entirely forgotten that Orgailian was also a father... though not a directly involved one.

As soon as T'ryn grabbed his bow and declared he was taking watch, K'dar set his own bow back to the side and grabbed one of his canvas sheets to spread out on the bank to provide a clean butchering surface. He paused as he went to grab the carcasses to snort softly. "I'm fine with you being the better shot so long as I stay the better angler!"

Soon enough with some help from Chir, he had carcasses and empty game bags set out on the cloth. "I remember these being pretty similar to deer as far as butchering them goes." He started talking about which pieces he'd want to personally keep for smoking and drying, and which ones he thought Zelana or their other friends might want to keep and try for themselves, and between the two of them working they were able to get things divided up into several bags to make distribution to friends, family, and the kitchens a bit easier. And just in case, he'd set the extra heads in another game bag for T'cai to pick up at his leisure.

When everything was done and packed, K'dar stepped into the creek for another dunk and cleaning of his arms before he trotted off after his brother. "Hey. Before I forget, thanks again for coming to hunt with me, it means a lot. I was hoping we could get together sometime, just you and me, so I could just chat with you. About being a dad and... and stuff." He carefully cracked a knuckle and forced a small smile on his face that only looked a little nervous. "I guess I'm just trying to get some pointers and talk about some stuff that I'm sure is just fine, probably normal worries... but later."

K'dar nodded, reinforcing the later part in his own mind to help calm that nervous excitement that kept trying to build in him any time he thought about the baby. "Later and somewhere much more comfortable than here. Are you ready to head back yet or did you want to do anything else? I'm mostly packed and ready, just need to get dressed." He was not about to pull on his flight gear until the very last minute while they were stuck in the heat.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

At Syrendryth's refusal, Chironhes merely dipped his head into a polite nod and held out his offering for Tiberuth. Avoiding reaching out again, the boy sloshed his way back down the river and pulled off his ruined shirt to scrub it in the river.

Blood muddied the waters downstream away from their temporary encampment, and it seemed no matter how much he scrubbed, the fabric was still stained from his stabbing the Feline K'dar had punched. With his back facing the others, he took a moment to examine his wounds from the wherry and was satisfied to find them so well healed. All the activity from the hunting hadn't opened up the one along his abdomen that had taken so long to patch in the first place. Crouching down, he sluiced water across his skin, grateful for the chill of it in the heat of the jungle.

He'd just have to toss the shirt when they got back, he realized. If Sironar saw him return with it, his roommate was apt to faint. Donning it now to keep the worst of the sun off his skin while they still had work to do, Chir returned to K'dar's side to help him butcher the Felines and separate them out in the carcass bags he'd brought along.

Content to keep at his task, he had no complaint when K'dar trotted off to speak in quiet tones with his brother. Used to his own company anyway, Chir worked diligently to ensure the carcasses were well cleaned for any useable parts.

The exposure of Feline ribs had a spark of inspiration strike while Chir worked. His own hunting blade - once his father's - had been made from the rib of a boar. In comparison, the Felines' ribs were more slender and with a sharper curve that would fit readily into a more delicate hand. Perhaps he could fashion one as a gift for Siro to use for herb cuttings or the like. A bone knife was a crude tool, but effective when carved well. Decision made, Chir broke off three and wrapped them in a spare strip of cloth before tucking them into the waistband of his pants.

With the meat packed away and the others still involved in their own dealings, Chir worked himself to muscle the remains of their hunt back out of the river to the other side. With soft grunts, he dragged them up the bank to leave them out in the open for scavengers and the like to make use of the remains.

His task complete, Chir knelt in front of the carcasses and dipped his head in reverence. No one had ever taught him to give thanks after a hunt. He'd had to teach himself the survival tactic, after all. But as a child, it had hurt to kill an animal even if it meant he could eat, so he'd made a habit of thanking them after. He knew it probably mattered to no one but him, least of all the dead animals, but to not do so now felt like it would leave a scar across his soul. So Chironhes gave his thanks before sliding back down the river bank and into the water. He carefully picked his way across, crouching down in the middle to dunk even his head under the surface before returning to the two brothers and their mates, snagging the carcass bags on his way.

Are we ready?

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)