World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [C] 743.06.15 | Silence is the Enemy
10PM | Open

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair
Curly dark brown to black

Threads

Written By: vet
He was bent over his desk glaring at the paper with a fierce scowl. What was this word?! Chirp glanced over from her bowl of finely chopped wherry meat to cock her head at the frustrated breath Chir blew out. The boy leaned back, rocking the chair back on two legs before letting all four touch the floor again as it shoved back to it. Giving up now wasn't an option. He'd spent the past two hours trying to make sense of the words, even rewriting Sironar's letter to practice writing the letters.

He thought he had the gist of it, at least. Someone was hurt. Two someones, at least. If there were more, he missed it in his attempts at translating. Of course, he could have gone to B'jin or S'far to ask them to read it for him. But it felt weak to ask for help every step of the way. Besides, he didn't want B'jin to be disappointed in him for being slow to learn it all. In truth, Chir didn't know if he was slow to learn or not, but when all his peers knew so much more than he did, it was difficult not to compare.

With only an hour left before lights out, Chir knew he couldn't spend another moment in his room. With Siro visiting that other Weyr, it felt devoid of liveliness despite Chirp's best attempts to fill the roles Fancy and Sironar did. Shoving away from his desk, he whistled for Chirp as he bent to snag his hunting knife and quiver and bow. While an hour wasn't enough time to actually go hunt, he could use the time keeping his archery skills sharp. Strapping on the dagger was simply habit and one he saw no reason to change. B'jin and Larrikith had gone through the effort to find it for him, so he could only show his appreciation by keeping it with him.

Despite the dimly lit paths through the Weyr, Chir had at least memorized the one to the archery stands by heart. He was a frequent visitor in his spare time and he'd even managed to help another candidate the day prior to improve his own shooting. This, at least, was something he was good at. Unlike reading, writing, and especially math.

Chirp's constant presence had become a new challenge to adjust to as the fire lizard typically insisted on remaining along his shoulders or clinging to the top of his head. At least while firing arrows, he'd gotten her to understand it was safest to cling to his quiver rather than using his shoulders as the return of his bowstring could cause some serious damage if it happened to catch her. It was why he even wore a vambrace to protect the tender flesh of his forearm.

Fifteen minutes in and Chir had sunken all of his arrows into his target. He swiped sweat from his brow and walked over to retrieve each one, grateful he'd not robin hooded any of them as he knew he wouldn't have time to make new ones for at least a few days.

The young hunter had just returned to his mark with the intention of repeating his shots when a voice from behind startled him. The green firelizard on his quiver chirped out a friendly greeting, though she was watchful in case her boy needed an out. Two weeks since hatching and she already understood Chir could be wary around others.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

Written By: BardlyThere
K'dar couldn't believe he'd been kicked out by a bronze weyrling who hadn't even graduated yet. No, you were thrown out by an irritated healer after you were repeatedly belligerent, the bronze snapped at his rider's thoughts. That was at least enough to get him to try and breathe, not that Tiberuth was angry with him, but that clearly his own anger and worry had rubbed off on the dragon. There was some genuine emotion there too, Tiberuth liked K'dar's siblings and knew that they were important to him, but the bronzerider still felt he needed to reign things in a bit better, try to get them both calmer.

Maybe he'd talk to S'far about it if he weyrleader wasn't busy, but they'd already had one awkward talk and he wasn't sure that he wanted another one. As the dragon flew down, slowly circling as they both tried to decide on a destination, K'dar spotted someone on the archery range. That could be a decent enough distraction at least. Tiberuth easily adjusted his angle of approach, swooping about to come in from behind, landing as quietly as his size would allow and far enough away that K'dar could easily greet the stranger. "Hello, hope I'm not disturbing you."

I think that's the mute boy that Urudith dislikes, said Tiber curiously. Malvayth had chattered on about the boy a few days ago when he'd politely greeted her and asked how she was doing during one of K'dar's visits with his niece and nephew. K'dar tilted his head curiously as he eyed the boy and realizing that he hadn't responded on his own yet he asked, Would you be willing to speak to him then? The bronze nodded, eyeing the boy for a moment as he waited to make sure he wouldn't interrupt anything before he decided to address him along with K'dar. Are you Chir? The mute boy that Urudith brought back with S'far? The bronzerider added a more proper introduction aloud. "I'm K'dar and this is Tiberuth. Sorry if we're intruding, I was just looking for a bit of a distraction and some archery practice sounded good enough. Would you mind if I joined you?"

He spotted the green firelizard on the boy's shoulders and added, "Just try and keep your flitter to yourself, they make Tiber nervous." The bronze huffed at that, letting out an irritated grumble. They don't make me nervous! They're just too small, I wouldn't want to accidentally crush one.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir still hadn't settled on how best to greet others. He hated the panic that flared each time as he struggled to figure out how best to communicate his disability. He'd never been so resentful of it when he lived in Lemos. People there hadn't paid him much mind at all. Now, the freckled teen couldn't decide which he preferred more.

He was just in the midst of shaking his head to advise he wasn't bothered by the intrusion (even if he was) when he heard Tiberuth's voice. Upon hearing S'far's dragon's name, Chir hunched his shoulders a little. If he knew of him from Urudith... He wasn't exactly expecting the most friendly greeting as Chir suspected he was Urudith's least favorite person in the entire world. If he confirmed the dragon's suspicions, would he be shunned by him, too?

Before Chir could even manage to work up an appropriate response, the rider introduced himself and the hunter was struck with the familiarity. K'dar of Tiberuth. You're Mylorah's family, he thought with some relief. Taith had promised the other candidate's siblings were helpful sorts and wouldn't treat him poorly.

Realizing his poor manners, he bowed his head a little while Chirp peered at the pair curiously from her perch. I'm sorry. Yes, I'm Chironhes. It's okay if you both join. This is Chirp, he added, glancing at his companion. She's good about sticking to me so far. I'll make sure she stays out of your way, Tiberuth, Chir promised with a small smile.

Awkwardly, Chir stood still with his bow lowered, uncertain if he should return to shooting or if something else was expected of him. It felt rude to turn his back on Tiberuth if the dragon was going to be translating for him. Indecisively, he swiveled subtly back and forth between the approaching pair and his target.

There are some extra bows in the tent right there. That seemed welcoming enough, right? Chewing on the inside of his cheek, the boy finally turned back to his target and set up his shot. Feeling too observed, he blew out a soft breath and lowered his arms before trying again, reminding himself to breathe and focus on the task at hand.

With the mental hurdle tackled, Chir fired his arrow and felt satisfaction at the way it dug deeply into the center of the target. While his newest companions settled themselves, the boy lined up another shot. A wordless growl clearly passed through his thoughts as his second arrow split down the middle of the first. That was exactly what he didn't want to happen! Considering the arrow lost, he ground his teeth together before lining up his third shot. The third one split the second and his face burned.

Not only had he ruined two perfectly good arrows, but they would probably think he was showing off now! I didn't mean to do that, he said meekly to Tiberuth, hoping the dragon would sense the truth in the thought.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

I am not Urudith, I can find my own reasons to shun people, Tiberuth's gruff voice was filled with amusement. He passed on the messages to K'dar quickly enough, and though the boy offered his reassurances regarding the firelizard, Tiber still opted to keep his own distance. It was one thing to tolerate a harper's well trained mature brown to behave on a short trip, another to trust such a minute baby. K'dar nodded. "I'll go grab a spare bow, thanks."

It was much faster than grabbing his own, and if he was honest, it didn't matter that it wasn't the one he was used to. Distraction, not real practice after all. And maybe he could imagine some shadowy murderous figure was standing downrange. While his rider was grabbing equipment, Tiberuth turned his attention back to Chir, speaking softly and only to the mute boy. It would be kind of you to ignore any rudeness from him. He is... distracted by upsetting news at the moment and wouldn't mean to be rude.

He spoke to the both of them again when he saw K'dar stepping out of the tent and making his way back to the firing line. Are you sure you don't want to get your own bow? You don't hunt as much as you fish, so a more focused and intentional practice could be beneficial. "It's fine," K'dar said shortly as he stepped up and took aim. It hit the target at least, though not where he'd intended. He took a moment to watch Chir fire, and upon the dragon's report of the man's meek comment he huffed softly and shook his head. "I'm sure I can teach you to be worse if you'd like."

Another shot was fired off, this one closer to the center, followed by another one that was a bit too hasty and again off, but at least back with the first arrow. The bronze snorted. You should both practice more. And don't be ashamed of your success. Even if that success broke something. It was the sort of pep talk he normally reserved for K'dar, but since he was already speaking with the candidate he may as well offer him the encouragement as well.

"Don't let Tiber give you too much sass," the bronzerider said before walking to retrieve his arrows. At least they were solid hits, if it had been a deer with a rump shot it would have been crippled enough to easily finish off. Still, better to practice like the dragon had suggested. He went back to the line, waiting for Chir to be ready and take his own shots first. "So why are you here and not with the other candidates in Benden? Just don't like it there? Scared you'll get mauled by a hatchling and trying to work up the nerve?" He at least bit back any comments about murderers, though his face tightened at the thought.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir nodded with relief when K'dar went to fetch a bow for himself. He'd handled that okay, hadn't he? He glanced over at Tiberuth when the dragon requested he ignore his rider's poor manners. The freckled boy frowned and thought of Siro's letter. People were hurt at the other Weyr. I'm sorry to hear it. With that letter in mind and his inability to completely translate it, Chir hesitated before asking. Are they going to be okay? After only a moment, he continued. My roommate sent me a letter I think explaining, but I'm not good at reading.

Upon K'dar's return, Chir managed a sympathetic smile. Those injured must be loved ones. He could imagine to some degree the anxiousness of not knowing how they'd fare, though it wasn't something he'd experienced yet for himself.

Watching the other archer's shots, Chir thought he adjusted his aim fairly well for a bow he wasn't familiar with. He had grown so used to his own that it was very much an extension of himself. No doubt if he had to handle another, he'd be equally off his game. When Tiberuth offered his encouragement, the freckled boy's smile was genuine. Thank you. I don't like breaking things, but it is good to be precise. I'll keep practicing.

Keeping his own arrow retrieval in time with his new partner's, Chir removed the three arrows and extracted the last one from the split shafts of the other two before saving the arrowheads of the ruined ones. Making new arrows was always faster if he didn't have to waste time shaping new heads as well. I sense no sass, he assured the dragon warmly.

Setting up to fire again, Chir didn't let K'dar's conversation distract him from the target. Again, his arrow found the center, this time burying well down the shaft. It was an excellent, strong blow, but one he'd struggle to retrieve intact. He should set his targets farther off, he mused.

While K'dar took his own shots, Chir responded. I only just arrived. It's all still a lot to take in and... Well, to be honest, he still wasn't comfortable around a lot of people. The thought of being surrounded by so many crowds was intimidating for the introverted boy. He preferred the more intimate gatherings with one or two people in short doses. It didn't seem right to go when others have been here longer. I have too much to learn still.

Worrying now, he looked over his shoulder at Tiberuth. Is it bad that I didn't go? Err, rude? Siro hadn't made it seem like it was expected or anything, but maybe it was and he just didn't want to put pressure on him.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

I do not know. They are with the healers now. We were sent away and have to wait until morning to try and visit again. It stung that K'dar knew exactly what Tiber was talking about, but he appreciated that the dragon didn't try and place blame for them being kicked out. He wasn't sure who had told Chir about his brothers, but it didn't matter, news tended to travel quickly anyway between the Weyrs when things like this started to happen. Tiberuth quietly passed on what he'd already shared and what Chir had asked and K'dar frowned. "Some asshole attacked my brothers. One of them was poisoned, the other repeatedly stabbed and... I don't know if they're going to be okay yet. They were going to try and put some more blood back into Zory after he got his stitches but... I don't know if it worked yet."

His face was set in a snarl as he loosed another arrow, sinking it deep into the center of the target. After a few more hard hits in a tight cluster there was a gentle nudge from Tiber and K'dar realized he'd been clenching his jaw tight enough to be painful. Rather than retrieve the arrows he decided to turn and pace alongside his dragon, occasionally reaching out to run his hand along his shimmering bronze hide for a bit of added comfort. His brothers would be fine. They were tough in their own ways. And even though he'd been kicked out by the healer there were other siblings still there to keep an eye on them.

Once he'd calmed down a bit he returned and Tiberuth caught him up on the rest of Chir's comments and questions. The comment about not wanting to go too early made him shake his head. "It's not bad or rude to not attend a hatching, but I think that the reason itself isn't good. It doesn't matter how long candidates have been here. People don't assign hatchlings out by merit or seniority, the dragons choose their partners. And if they won't find anyone who they think they're compatible with, then they just go between. Sometimes they even pick someone who isn't standing but in is watching from the audience, though that isn't very common at all. That happened to my brother T'ryn's mate and she literally knew nothing to start." K'dar tilted his head as he considered his siblings who had already impressed.

"T'ryn impressed at his first hatching when he was twelve. A'tay took a few tries and was... fifteen I think? I don't rightly remember for Casa, but I believe she was young too." He couldn't blame himself for not remembering since she they'd only recently realized she was a sibling. "I started young, and I'm the oldest, but didn't Impress until I was nineteen. That just happened to be when and where my dragon was and I wouldn't trade him for any other, even if it meant I could have Impressed sooner."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir's fingers worried at the bindings of his bow. Poisoning? He closed his eyes and imagined the word. That was it, wasn't it? The one he'd struggled to read in Siro's letter. S'far and B'jin had painted the Weyrs as safe havens. But people were being stabbed and poisoned. And hadn't Mylo almost lost another brother? T'ryn? He'd been poisoned, too, hadn't he?

Does someone have something against his family? Chir asked for Tiberuth alone. To have so many suffer from such malicious attacks had to be specifically targeted, right? The mute boy was evidence that random maliciousness wasn't unheard of, but he still believed most violence had to serve some sort of goal.

As K'dar was clearly struggling with an array of emotions and seeking the comfort of his dragon, Chir retrieved his arrows for him as well as his own before muscling the targets back quite some distance. While in a forest, shorter range shots were typical, Chir bet if they ever had to fire arrows from the back of a dragon, they'd need the distance. His own bow was a compound one that could allow for both ranges, but he bent to scoop up a long bow for K'dar to switch to with their new targets instead of the short one he'd originally grabbed.

The boy considered K'dar's comments on impressing dragons. Guilt swamped him. Did that mean that if there was a dragon hatchling meant for him in another Weyr, they could miss out on each other? Surely, K'dar had to be mistaken. Dragons wouldn't just go in droves between because people they were destined to simply weren't in their vicinity, right? Couldn't they settle for another? What about all the people living in Lemos? What if there was a dragon for them, too? They didn't know. They considered the bond some bastardized thing worthy of contempt. Having seen it with his own eyes, Chir knew with certainty they couldn't be more wrong. But they had no way of knowing if it was what they were taught.

Deeply unsettled, Chir chewed on the inside of his cheek as he continued to pluck at the bindings of his bow. The worries brewed like a storm, preventing him from returning to his archery as he struggled to think of how to prevent such a tragedy. Chir was new to the world's problems and easily overwhelmed by them. Previously, his biggest worries had been when his next meal would come from and what the turn of weather would call for. But everything was so much more complicated than his simple life in the forest.

And people were getting hurt. Could it all really stem from one individual? Or was it a faction of those with ill will? How could they stop that from happening? These were issues well beyond the boy's capacity to solve, but he found himself trapped in the struggle of trying to do so single-handedly regardless.

He needed smaller goals, he realized. Like trying to comfort a concerned brother.

I've met Mylorah. From what she's told me, and my impression of her, you have a very strong family. If anyone will pull through, it will be them. He hoped Tiber could translate how much he meant it. That he wasn't just saying it either. Their family had survived attacks like this before. They would do so again.

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

The bronze huffed, unsure of even how to react to the question for a moment. I don't know why anyone would hold ill thoughts against my rider or his family aside from jealousy and that shouldn't be cause for violence outside of a flight. No one needs to defend against them, no one would hunt and eat them... it makes no sense. There were others recently... last year too. They could be unlucky but I do not know. K'dar didn't catch the conversation so much as the final sentiment behind it and shook his head. A'tay was already superstitious enough as it was. "Not unlucky. There's just... there's a lot of us. Statistically it should make sense right?" He didn't expect any answers, but it was something he could ask T'ryn about later. He was better with math.

Tiberuth caught the bit of distress from Chir and nudged his rider gently with his nose. Perhaps you should elaborate on the ones that go between, you seem to have distressed the young man. That made K'dar cringe slightly. "It's... it's not all that common. The hatchlings will try to pick their person out of what is available, but some are pickier than others. I think two hatchlings went for the same boy once at one of the Benden hatchings, they accidentally trampled and clawed him to death while they fought over him. Both of those went between in grief. Then there was..." he sighed and shook his head. "There was a gold hatchling once, she couldn't find a girl that was right for her, she became angry and attacked several of the candidates before leaving. These are very rare considering how many clutches hatch with only a few minor injuries from a clumsy baby who doesn't know their own strength yet. Severe injuries are very uncommon. I think more candidates have gotten heat stroke than have been seriously hurt."

That seemed far too dour, and K'dar tried to think of something more positive to add, just so that he could at least have that nice thought while he still worried about his brothers. "Not everyone can Impress you know. If you're here, then you've already been seen by a searchdragon, and they've decided you have what it takes. Now you just have to wait for a dragon to find you and realize you're the one it needs most. When it happens I'm sure we'll throw a party." There is always a party for every hatching to celebrate the new weyrlings and the bonds they've made, Tiberuth added for clarification.

K'dar shook his head. "Yes, there's always a party, but we can specifically celebrate with Chir too, Tiber. We don't have to go mingle with the goldriders while you flirt." Not that any of the new weyrlings would be around for very long before they went to go begin the early cycle of exhausted naps, oil, and feeding time. He's just let the candidate figure that part out on his own since it was one of those things you could never appreciate until it happened to you.

The bronze passed on that the boy knew Mylorah and K'dar tilted his head. "Oh, one of Mylorah's friends? That's nice. And... I hope they pull through." K'dar sighed as he stared at the target and the new bow he'd been given and took a shot, barely hitting the edge of the target. "What do you like to do for fun, Chir?"

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Maybe that's all it was; a large family. Still, there were so many people even just in Telgar! The chances didn't seem so high that multiple members of their family would be afflicted. But not wanting to upset K'dar with even more concerns when it was clear he was struggling enough, the boy kept his peace on the subject.

His own concerns were at least soothed somewhat by K'dar's explanation of impressing. So he'd thought he was afraid of being injured? Though still recovering from his hunting mishap with the wherry, Chir was fairly accustomed to dangerous encounters. It came with the territory when one lived alone as he had in the wilds with no guarantee of safety even in his shelter. But he was relieved that hatchlings going between so soon after their births were rare. It would still be better if it never happened at all, however, the examples seemed more consistent with accidents than anything.

When they moved on to discussions of parties, Chir frowned. Celebrations usually meant a lot of people, and the boy preferred to avoid crowds as much as possible just for comfort's sake. I don't need a party, he assured quickly, disturbed by the idea of being surrounded by noise and so much excitement, especially if it was catered specifically towards him. No, thank you! But he could make for an excellent wallflower, present on the fringes and out of the main throng.

When K'dar asked what he liked to do for fun, Chir found even his thoughts struck silent. It wasn't that he didn't have fun. On the contrary, he found his chores in the barn very rewarding! Hunting, too, was something he liked to do, but it had also been a necessity for survival, so he wasn't all that sure that it counted. The same could be said for fishing. Siro had all kinds of interests like foraging for various plants and so on, but Chir realized he hadn't actually found something that wasn't a task or job for him to complete.

Well, maybe... I like riding the horses. It feels like flying sometimes. Recalling how Malvayth would feel offended over the comparison, he quickly hurried to explain so as not to offend Tiberuth, too. I don't have a dragon to fly with or anything, so it's the closest I can get.

Drawing his bow back, Chir aimed for the far target and lowered his weapon with satisfaction when his arrow struck just below center. A minor adjustment and he'd have it.

What about you both? What do you like?

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

When Chir objected to the party, K'dar couldn't help but think back to the party that he'd very recently attended, turning slightly dark in the cheeks before shaking his head. He doubted that was anything that the archer would be interested in if he was still new to the Weyr. "If it's just because you're shy, maybe you'll get used to all the people. Besides, when you eventually Impress you probably won't be too concerned about all the people right then anyway. Besides there are lots of smaller parties for you to get used to in the Weyr, more casual gatherings that are usually used music and chatting. Though you should probably learn how to dance eventually if you don't already know how if you're going to keep being friends with my sister."

K'dar took his time to aim before he let loose this time, and struck closer to the middle of the target on the right side. Tiberuth gave Chir an amused glance. I am secure in my own superiority over a horse, I won't be offended that you like them. Tiberuth passed on the question to his rider who considered it a moment as he fired another arrow, this one landing dead center. "I like to go fishing. I don't mind hunting and camping too, but fishing is my favorite. I like to read books for fun. I like to spar or get into fights on occasion. I'll go to parties when I'm dragged to them and dance, but that's usually more fun because of who I'm there with. That's about it, nothing terribly exciting. I mostly just work helping the Weyrleader so I can learn as much as I can from him."

He studied his target, pleased that his last shot had been perfect, but he felt it was mostly luck. He wasn't going to say that though. "Did you want to do anything else? It's a bit late, so that limits our options, but I don't want to go back to my weyr yet, and I'd rather end my range time on a good shot." Tiberuth let out a loud and obvious yawn as if to point out the late hour. K'dar sighed. "Tiber, it's not that late, and you're good at night flying even if we wanted to go somewhere." I am good at night flying because you are bad at sleeping at normal hours.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Smaller gatherings seemed slightly more enticing to the boy as compared to large celebrations, but even those felt somewhat daunting. If he was expected to participate in chat, he knew he'd only burden a dragon to serve as a translator until he could learn to read and write better. Chir shrugged his shoulders noncommittally, unconvinced by K'dar's suspicion that he'd get used to it all.

The further mention of learning to dance seemed even more intimidating than reading and writing! He knew how to draw a bow and skin an animal; his movements held purpose. As far as he could see, dancing held no purpose other than simply moving to move. Chir failed to understand why it was enjoyable, though he suspected it was mainly because he felt like a fool whenever he'd been in the vicinity of those participating. It was like watching people enjoy a particularly delicious dessert when he had no sense of taste.

Chir was glad, at least, that Tiberuth wasn't worried that he liked horses so much. Part of the boy wondered if he could get Malvayth to see why he enjoyed them so much, but suspected she would remain steadfast in her disdain.

But as the conversation steered towards fishing, Chir perked. He, too, enjoyed fishing! While it had been a necessity for him, it had been a task he thoroughly enjoyed. A day spent on a snowy bank with the sun glaring off both water and ice with his ramshackle fishing pole had never been a day wasted.

Spotting K'dar nail his target, Chir looked over and offered a congratulatory grin. Nice shot! Though the hunter had intended to spend the remainder of his time before lights out at the archery range, K'dar's invitation had him already moving forward to retrieve his arrows.

Shyly, Chir suggested a more exhilarating option for them all. What about flying? The boy glanced to Tiberuth as it was him who'd be doing the work. I'd like to see the stars closer if that's okay?

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

The look on Chir's face in response to his comments about parties and dancing told K'dar more than enough and he smiled and shook his head. "Like I said, you'll probably get used to it. You'll be surprised how much you can get used to. And sometimes you discover that you like things you didn't really think you would before." And sometimes having a very convincing friend to push you along helped. K'dar didn't think he could be that sort of person, certainly not to the degree that Yfris was, but he could at least try to encourage a little bit.

Sensing the buy's confusion when it came to dancing, Tiberuth tried to share a small bit of wisdom. From what I have seen, the key to dancing is to not care if you feel like a fool. Dancing with someone you think is pretty also seems to help. He was not sure if that would help at all, he didn't really understand dancing all that much himself except that K'dar especially liked to dance with pretty girls and his friends. He passed on Chir's thoughts about fishing, along with his congratulations, in short order to his rider as well.

The requested ride though made Tiberuth huff and sigh ever so slightly as he relented, but only because Chir seemed to be quite excited and hopeful about the prospect and he wanted to prove that not all bronze dragons were snooty. That made K'dar laugh, and quite loudly for a bit before he gestured for Chir to follow. "He'll take us for a ride, but only because you're really excited about it and to prove that not all bronze dragons are snooty. Even though he can be exceptionally snooty about certain things."

He made sure to get Tiber's straps sorted for a passenger and helped the boy get up and secured before climbing on and hooking himself up. "Tiber says you like to fish too. You'll have to tell me about your favorite spots and most memorable catches." Once he was sure everyone was secured, Tiberuth took off into the air, taking his time to spiral about and climb while K'dar lazily pointed at distant dim lights and identified which of the nearby Holds they belonged to.

Once he'd levelled out, Tiberuth let out a low rumble and asked, Are the stars noticeably different now that you're closer to them?

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

The promise of a ride had Chironhes forgetting all concerns about dancing and parties to come. He bounced lightly on the balls of his feet with the visible excitement of someone half his age. It was rare he had the chance to do something so fun. His first ride on a dragon had been marred by blurred vision and pain from his attack, but he was of sound mind and body this time. He intended to enjoy it!

Grateful for Tiberuth's consideration, the boy stepped closer and scratched the dragon's neck in the same area Mal and Taith seemed to enjoy. Thank you, Tiberuth. I don't think you're snooty at all. Urudith, on the other hand... There was no love lost between the mute boy and S'far's bronze.

Chir continued to scratch Tiber's neck and moved on towards his shoulders while K'dar sorted out all the riding straps. At least this time, Chir was able to scramble up himself without Tiberuth needing to lay himself out flat as Urudith had before. The hunter observed how the straps worked, memorizing them even as his heart pounded hard in anticipation.

I only know spots in Lemos, Chir admitted. There's this one bend in the river cutting south by Lemos that has the best Bordo schools. They're really big and strong; really fun to fight and worth the time it takes to reel them in.

As Tiberuth took off, Chir bent low across his back to ensure he kept his balance despite the straps holding him safe. While they rose on warm air currents, the boy found himself marveling at the way the Weyr grew smaller beneath them. His eyes adjusted to the darkness out of the lantern lights as he followed K'dar's hand to other Holds.

The dragon's question earned a rush of appreciation and gratitude from Chir. Yes. They seem so much closer. Like I could almost reach out and touch them even though I know I can't. Still, tightening his grip with his legs, he let go of Tiberuth's back to reach up with both hands and stretch his fingers into the clouds. They felt like mist as the precipitation billowed away from his fingers. I can't believe you spend so much time on the ground when you could be in the air, he marveled. What a gift!

K'dar
of Bronze Tiberuth

Date of Birth
03.01.720, 25
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
fit, sadly less soft
Hair
Brown

Threads

Thank you. It's nice that someone recognizes that. The dragon let out a low rumbling huff, feeling justified in his own perceived humbleness. Because of course he was amazing, but he was also quite grounded about it and reasonable, unlike some others. K'dar just smiled, amused by his bronze's take at that particular moment. There were certainly moment when the beast didn't particularly care for humility and then just bragged about knowing his own worth and value, but he didn't feel the need to point that out at the moment. Instead he just patted the bronze fondly. "He is a rather reasonable dragon most of the time."

With the information about the Lemos fishing spot passed on, K'dar nodded. "I'll have to take a look sometime. Tiber and I like to go exploring and finding new spots. Sometimes we can get to rather remove little places. Maybe after things calm down a bit and I'm less busy," and he wasn't so worried about his brothers, "I can show you if you'd like, though you'll have a hard time getting to them on your own until you impress."

Seeing how Chir seemed to enjoy playing with the clouds, K'dar encouraged Tiberuth to chase after them, diving in and out and then suddenly banking sharply to the side to quickly spin into one. The bronzerider set an arm around Chir to help him feel a bit more secure. He knew the straps would hold just fine, but he still didn't want the boy to panic.

Tiberuth leveled back out, lazily soaring for a bit in a large circle. The ground and the sky each have their place and time. I can't comfortably lounge up here after all. Swimming is also nice on occasion. And sometimes our responsibilities required that we remain grounded for a bit. K'dar does rather important work for the Weyrleader after all. The bronze was so proud of his rider and the initiative and ambition he'd developed.

The dragon waited until he'd flown far enough away from the Weyr to let out a loud bellowing roar, the sound echoing across the mountains and valleys that they flew over. It was a silly thing, just something he enjoyed indulging in when he was exploring, an announcement to herald his presence. He indulged Chir in a few more passes in the clouds before making his way back to the Weyr. Couldn't keep the candidate up too late after all. "We can drop you off in the bowl near the candidate barracks if you'd like," said K'dar as the Telgar Weyr came back into view.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

More than reasonable in Chir's opinion, he found Tiberuth to have a regal, proud bearing, but not to the point that it made him unapproachable. The generally shy boy certainly appreciated it. He scratched absently along the dragon's hide, preferring that to pats ever since Taith told him it felt better to the blue dragon.

When K'dar offered to share his own fishing places, Chir nodded. He'd love to learn about more places! He only realized his fishing pole was still back in Lemos. If his self-built shelter hadn't been raided by now. He'd had many hides stacked up and waiting for a trip into the Hold to be sold. Maybe someone found it and took his few belongings. Before, the thought would have been devastating to him, but with the stability the Weyr was providing for him, Chir felt only mild disappointment.

And that mild disappointment vanished in a heartbeat when the dragon and rider took him for a wild ride. Chir automatically clung to K'dar's arm when it wound around his middle as he curved into the centripetal force of Tiberuth's banking. He whooped inwardly, excitement thrumming through his veins. The acrobatics only added to the boy's wonder how any riders or dragons remained on the ground at all. This was the best!

Tiberuth's explanations made sense, but at the moment, Chir still felt they fell short in comparison to the exhilaration he felt right then. This was a feeling he wanted to chase and chase! Responsibilities felt small and far away up here. Maybe there was a danger to it because of that. Chir bet if he did ever Impress, his bonded would have a hard time keeping him grounded.

The bronze's roar vibrated through all of Chir, settling in his chest to the point that it felt like he'd made the sound himself! He chuffed out a laugh, the small noise swallowed by the wind. With Tiberuth leveled out once more, Chir bent forward enough that his chest lay against the dragon's back as he hugged him. Thanks for this, Tiberuth. Really. And thanks to K'dar, too, for sharing you with me for a bit. Chir took a deep breath and sighed, gratitude exuding from his pores. This is the happiest he thought he'd ever felt!

Though he was remiss to end the ride so soon, Chir knew it was nearly time for lights out. He nodded when K'dar offered to drop him off in the bowl. Once Tiberuth landed, Chir managed the straps himself, having watched K'dar apply them when they set off. He slid off and mouthed 'thank you' to the rider before walking around to scratch Tiberuth's neck. Have a safe flight back home. Thanks for dropping me off. And for tonight. Chir found he simply couldn't stop thanking the pair of them. Maybe it was a simple thing to them, but to Chir, it meant a lot. Leaning around Tiber's shoulder to look at K'dar, he grinned. You'll have to show me those fishing spots sometime!

The boy lifted his hand in a wave before jogging off. Too much excitement still roared through him to even consider sedately walking back, so a quick jaunt home would hopefully help work out some of the remaining adrenaline!

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)