World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [P] 743.06.09 | Joyride
10:30am | Chironhes

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Written By: BardlyThere
T'ryn was busy with some list making for S'far, the twins had just been delivered to the creche and were likely napping again after a very busy morning "helping" with some leatherworking tasks while Cazan talked about all the tools she used in a silly sing song voice for their amusement, and Malvayth was lounging in the sun napping. The goldrider took the opportunity to deliver the saddle she'd finished fixing in person down to the stables, not bothering to wake up Mal from her peaceful slumber. With how quickly the twins were growing and how much they both liked to be held the saddle was more than easy enough to heft on her own. It didn't care how she held it after all, didn't even squirm and giggle or cry when thwarted!

Cazan smiled softly to herself as she made her way to the stables, giving the hands working there a casual wave before tucking the saddle into its spot in the tack room. "There, that's all done. Just let me know the next time anything else needs repairing." She was sure it would probably be the beastmaster in charge who sent her a letter rather than any stable boy, but it still seemed polite to at least acknowledge them. She paused on her way out to gently pet one of the gray mares that reminded her of Sprink, her old horse that she had to abandon when she impressed. The mare was quite used to her little visits and nonsense rambling, but she was also very used to getting a little bit of an added treat as she snuffled and nosed about Cazan's pockets.

All she had was an apple tucked away that she'd meant to have for her own breakfast before forgetting about it. She chuckled softly and pulled it out to let the horse enjoy it instead. "Here you go, better to have you eliminate the evidence than let T'ryn be disappointed in me." Caz gave the horse a fond stroke down the length of her strong stormy gray neck. It had been a while since she'd ridden a horse, and Mal was still sound asleep.

With a conspiratorial glint in her eye she turned to the nearest stable boy. "You there, can I take her out on a ride? I'm sure the horses could use some exercise..."

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair
Curly dark brown to black

Threads

Written By: vet
Chirp remained curled around Chir’s shoulders as the boy finished mucking out the last stall. He’d been given leave for heavier work now that the wound along his right shoulder had all but closed. The one along his left side remained an issue, but as long as it remained wrapped, it didn’t cause him any major grief. He’d already undergone a few debridement treatments and there was now a healthy layer of granulation tissue that would bleed readily if he messed with it.

The green fire lizard had proven to be quite gentle around the horses and she kept her usually talkative nature to quieter levels to not startle the big animals. Mostly, Chirp preferred to snuggle against her bonded’s cheek and snooze in the shared contentment between them.

Chir was just returning with the wheelbarrow and pitchfork when a rider stopped him to ask if she could take one of the mares out for a ride. The boy had already been instructed about which horses were on stall rest and not to allow out, so he didn’t hesitate to smile and nod his head. After depositing his tools, he held up a finger to signal her to wait for a moment before he disappeared into the tack room.

The freckled youth returned with a bridle slung over his shoulder and a saddle balanced along an arm. It had only been a few days since he’d started working the stables, and Chir found he really had a gift for it. The horses didn’t judge or expect him to chat. Most of them seemed quite content with the soothing humming he could offer. Squeezing past the rider, Chir opened the stall and greeted the mare with a palmed sugar cube before he settled the saddle across her back and worked on cinching up the girth straps. As he’d been taught to expect, he watched her take a deep breath as he adjusted the straps and found himself smiling fondly. He’d go back and adjust them last. Turning, the boy got her to accept the bit and then slipped the bridle over her head.

Chir led her from the stall and paused in the breezeway to readjust the girth again. He snickered to himself when the mare blew out a frustrated breath and gave her a soft pat on the neck before turning her over to the rider.

Another horse, this one a bay gelding, shoved his head over his stall door as Chir moved past to knock against his shoulder. The boy grinned and lifted his hand to stroke the horse’s cheek before considering a ride for himself. The stable master had already told him after he was done mucking stalls that he could have the rest of the morning to himself so why not a ride? He wondered if the woman wouldn’t mind company.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Cazan wondered if this was the new mute candidate that S'far had rambled on about briefly the last time she'd seen him. She hadn't been paying too much attention since she'd been occupied with getting the weyrleader's measurements for a jacket while he refused to hold still for more than a few seconds at a time. What was his name again? Cheery? Chiron? She wasn't sure, but she could always just... hm. Asking would be awkward if she didn't phrase it properly. Eh, she'd figure it out soon enough she was sure.

For now she just smiled and waited patiently while he got the mare saddled up with a quick "Thank you," instead of trying to shoo him away so that she could handle it herself. This was fine, it was his job right now after all and she didn't need to do it herself just because she knew how. She spotted the bay nudge him once he'd finished and couldn't help a soft laugh that she muffled behind a hand. "You may as well bring him along too. And I'm sorry if this is a terribly rude question, but are you the new candidate that S'far found while he was out camping?" A silent nod from the stable hand confirmed it and Caz smiled. "Well, he can certainly be an interesting man. I'll wait for you before taking off."

Swinging up into the saddle was easy as she reacquainted herself with riding something much smaller than her enormous gold. The mare she was on wasn't a terrible horse necessarily, or at least that's what Cazan told herself as she leaned down to gently stroke her neck. Surely just a different breed suited to travel in the mountains instead of racing endlessly and swiftly along the plains like they'd bred back home.

The sound of hoofbeats caught her attention and she steered the mare off to the side to give the stable hand a bit more room to mount up and join her before she asked, "Have you ridden much? I can keep her slow if you need." Well, slow for her at least. She tilted her head as she thought about it and changed her mind. "Actually you can go ahead and set the pace, probably easier that way. I'll be able to keep up if she can. Oh, I'm Caz by the way. I'm a leathercrafter and help repair things for the stables when it's needed." It was probably rude to leave out her dragon from the introduction, but with the gold sleeping, she didn't want to risk waking her up by invoking her name.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Word traveled fast in the Weyr, Chr was learning. S’far must have told anyone who’d give him a second of attention about his newest acquisition. The hunter couldn’t feel resentful for it considering how much easier it made things for him. Trying to explain to every passing person about his handicap was as exhausting as it was embarrassing. He knew the fault wasn’t his own for it, but he more frequently found himself wishing to be able to converse like others if only to just fit in better. Thankfully, no one had yet given him too much trouble about it.

As soon as she invited him along, Chir beamed and rushed off to fetch another set of tack. With the same efficiency, he got the gelding saddled up and led him into the hall once Caz and the mare moved to give him room. He stopped to adjust the straps again while she mounted the mare. Looking over his gelding’s back, he lifted his hand to spread his thumb and pointer finger apart to indicate he’d spent a small amount of time learning. Granted, it had been a few short lessons while his parents still lived years prior. Still, he was eager to return.

Chir led the gelding out of the barn altogether before mounting and guiding the horse in front of Caz and her mount. Upon hearing her name, Chir automatically paired her name with her dragon’s. Caz and Malvayth! She was the golden dragon Mylorah had called for the day they met. It was easier now with a face to pair with at least one of the many names he’d learned that day.

Wanting to ensure he had his seat well in hand before leaving the stable yard, Chir guided his mount in circles before encouraging him to switch gaits from a walk to a trot with a subtle squeeze. Trotting had always been hardest for him as a lad, but at least now, he had legs long enough to reach the stirrups and could spare himself the hard bounce. The trot eased into a smoother canter before returning to Caz and the grey mare.

With a nod to signal his readiness, Chir nodded to Caz with a smile while Chirp sat high along the back of his neck. The green flitter clung to his hair with her front claws where she could observe the world from over his head now that she, too, felt more confident in the horse’s movements.

Chir sidled his gelding up alongside the gate leading out of the Weyr and unlatched it before easing it open with his foot and guiding the horse out. He turned the gelding around to wait for Caz and close the gate back behind her. The mountains awaited!

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

After watching to make sure the young man was settled in and had his warmup ride, Cazan guided the mare through the gate with a lazy trot. It had been a while since she'd taken the road out of the Weyr for any reason, but she was reasonably sure she wouldn't get lost. After checking back to make sure the gate was closed she gave a soft click of her tongue before nudging the horse onward at an easy canter.

She slowed down a bit once they got out of the Weyr and into the rocky trails, waiting for the stable boy to catch up so he could lead the way. "I don't know these trails very well, hopefully your or the horses do." With as long as she'd been in Telgar she felt she probably should know them a bit better though, but between the murders, the twins, and Malvayth on top of her work she hadn't really found the time to go exploring on the ground. Cazan was much more used to looking at the mountains from above. Maybe she'd actually take K'dar up on his constant offers to take everyone fishing. "I haven't been able to go riding in quite some time. I even had to give up my horse, Sprink. She's a pretty girl, hopefully she manages to have some foals who are just as pretty."

For now though she gave the mare she was riding another fond pat as they made their way along the trails. Riding dragons hadn't spoiled her enjoyment of horses it seemed and she was quite enjoying the ride as she chatted idly with her silent companion. "Maybe one day I'll be able to get the twins on a horse, see how they handle it. They're still too young right now, but if K'dar can go on and on about how he has already made them tiny fishing poles then I'm allowed to think about them one day riding horses. Your little friend is adorable, I'd offer to introduce mine but if I call for Lady then Sir will also come since they're lounging together and... well he's a good boy, but not particularly friendly."

It was certainly an understatement, but she loved her grumpy little bronze and knew he usually had good intentions. "Oh that and he'd probably end up spooking the horses." Of course that thought happened right as the gold dragon began to stir from her nap and suddenly Malvayth was wide awake. Where are you? Her voice held a touch of screech at the edges of it that made Cazan stop the horse. "Oh no..." I'm just spending some time with a new friend. IS YOUR NEW FRIEND HORSES?! An annoyed screech echoed from the Weyr as the gold launched her rotund form into the sky to go intercept her rider and the treacherous horses she was with.

"Fuck." Cazan certainly did not expect the gold to be flying with how full of eggs she was, but soon enough she was having to focus her attention on the skittering and prancing horse as the gold landed nearby, eyes swirling red with rage. "Mal! Mal calm down! If you scare the horses someone could get hurt! And what are you even doing?! You need to go back and go rest on the sands!" The gold dragon glowered down at the horses, eyes narrowed for a moment until she realized there was someone else with Cazan, sitting on the second horse. You don't look like a horse! Who are you? In an instant her voice had settled to sweet curiosity as she studied the boy.

"Malvayth, please, this is the boy who S'far brought from his camping trip. Remember he was telling us about it at his fitting? If you don't go back we'll get in trouble and be grounded to the Sands again. Do you want that?" Cazan normally tried to keep her conversations with the dragon quiet, but she figured speaking aloud would make it easier for her mute friend to both keep up and also be aware of what was going on. There was a wave of annoyance from the gold that she didn't bother to filter to only her rider, setting the horses to nervously prancing again. You don't need to ride horses. You have me. "You shouldn't be flying right now-" You can both fit on me at the same time while I walk. Malvayth sent the words to both of them, her voice obviously hurt. She couldn't believe her rider would think riding something else was more fun! Cazan sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Fine... you go back to the Weyr, we have to take the horses back and then we'll go straight to visit you okay?"

Mal let out a cheery chirp and relaunched herself into the air to go wait. Cazan sighed and reached down to pat and soothe the mare before turning her to head back. "Well, we better go before she goes off again. Sorry about that... I hope you don't mind a surprise dragon ride."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Cantering along the main path outside the Weyr brought a sense of peace the young hunter had missed since leaving home. He’d missed the wilderness, and even if this wasn’t the same one that he knew, it still hit all the main strokes he knew. Even if he’d never traveled the many trails here, Chir was gifted with an excellent sense of direction and had no fear going forward even when Caz voiced her concern for getting lost. He’d make sure they got back safely!

They didn’t make it far before Caz murmured a quiet oh no that was immediately followed by an echoing screech. Chir’s gelding tossed his head and danced with alarm at the sudden sound before settling under the boy’s soft hand along his broad neck. Rather than trying to forge forward, Chir slowed the horse and turned him in tight circles so he wouldn’t be tempted to bolt.

He managed the arrival of Malvayth with less expertise as his mount tossed his rear in a quick buck of protest, encouraged by the mare’s shared terror as the golden dragon landed heavily nearby. Chir shushed the wide-eyed gelding to the best of his ability while forcing more circles so he couldn’t straighten out for a proper buck. He was still working on calming the gelding when he heard Mal’s voice as she inquired about him.

No, he replied with a grin. Not a horse. I’m Chironhes. Or just Chir. Easy though, you’ve really startled them. Chir took another few moments to regain the gelding’s attention and finally encouraged him to stand, albeit with a furiously flicking tail.

As for Chirp, the little firelizard let out a series of trills meant as greetings to Malvayth. She hopped up to perch all the way on her boy’s head, balancing with her sharp nails digging into Chir’s scalp for purchase.

The gelding tossed his head wildly again and Chir tended as he felt the horse gathering himself into a half-hearted rear before Malvayth voiced her discontent with not being the preferred mount. I promise, it’s not meant as a sleight against you, Chir hoped to soothe. Apparently, even dragons got jealous! They’ve been stuck in their stalls for a while is all. It’s nice to get out from time to time, yeah?

However, apparently dragons could also be more stubborn and set in their ways! Chir struggled to bite back his smile at the way Caz relented to the gold’s will. He shook his head in reassurance when Caz apologized for their trip cut short. He would simply have to convince Sironar to come riding with him later!

The horses settled quickly in the dragon’s absence and were more than eager to return to the safety of their stalls. Chir gave the gelding his head and indulged in a quick race back to the gate. Dismounting, he removed the saddle and set it aside after returning the horse to his stall, followed shortly by the bridle. As the ride had been short, there was little need to clean the tack, but the boy still ran a curry comb across the horse and checked everywhere for any injuries, including lifting each of his hooves with a meticulous eye for detail.

Chir poked his head out to see Caz had already done the same for her mare, splitting the work to be done before they could go on. Digging in his pocket, he pulled out another few sugar cubes for both horses only for Chirp to skitter down and steal one before retreating to his shoulders.

Tack returned, Chir spread his arm in indication for Caz to now lead the way.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

While they rode back, Cazan silently called for Lady to bring her a pencil and paper so she could scribble a quick note. The gold firelizard popped in with the requested supplied supplies thankfully not followed by Sir. With the gold perched on her shoulder she quickly got the note down and handed it back for delivery with another soft pop. It was sloppy and vague, but it at least would let S'far and T'ryn know that nothing was actually wrong. Hopefully things would just stay that way and she wouldn't get into trouble for Mal's latest little tantrum.

She worked on unloading and settling in the gray mare herself, putting things away and giving the horse a quick check along with eyeing her hooves as she reassured Malvayth mentally that this was all just casual maintenance because horses were not as good as dragons, they were fragile and delicate creatures sometimes. No, she was not trying to spoil the mare, this was all just rather boring and normal. With another tantrum delayed, Caz gestured for the stable hand to follow her as she walked towards where she knew the gold was laying down, waiting for their arrival impatiently.

There you are! You could have gone faster. "If we'd rushed, then a mistake would have been made that would have taken longer. I'm surprised you managed to fly at all, Mal. You're..." not fatter, "you look like you've got more eggs than last time." Mal lifted her head smugly. I had a very good game. "Ah yes, that makes sense. So this is... uh. I'm sorry I don't know your name to introduce you properly." Caz gave her new friend an apologetic shrug.

He's Chir, it's short for Chironhes. said the dragon matter of factly. "Ah, well he can't talk on his own, like B'jin." The gold lowered her head to peer closer at Chir, nostril flaring as she took a curious sniff. Excitedly she spoke to the both of them in response, Oh! I get to be a translator! She let out a rumbling croon, delighted that she could get such an important job. "That's right," said Cazan with a sigh. At least it had been a very short lived tantrum.

Though the gold was still wanting to prove her earlier point and propped out her left to serve as a step to climb up onto her back. Cazan scrambled up first and then leaned down to hold out a hand to help Chir up after. "Remember, Mal. No flying. You don't have your straps on, and you need to take care of your eggs." You need to take care of your eggs. There was a momentary flutter of panic before she remembered her quick trip with Kor'is and Taith and Cazan shook her head. "No, Mal. I don't. Just because you're having a clutch doesn't mean I am too. Again."

Once everyone was settled on her back, Mal began to waddle along through the bowl. Are you a candidate? she asked, Chir. I have the best prizes! They aren't ready yet, but soon! Caz softly chuckled and gave the gold's hide a fond pat. "Just don't rush, dear." Lady returned from her errand empty handed, letting out a soft musical chirp as she carefully landed on the very top of Mal's head and curled up. Another soft pop announced Sir's arrival as the bronze flew to join Lady on her perch, but then he spotted Chir and changed course, landing on Cazan's shoulder as he glared at the boy. He stalked boldly closer, sniffing at the bandages hidden on the boy's side beneath his clothes before letting out a hiss and climbing back up onto his master to stand vigilant. She sighed. "Don't mind, Sir, but more importantly don't try to pet him."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Away from the stables, Chironhes moved with far less certainty. There were so many places within the Weyr he'd either not fully explored or avoided altogether simply out of shyness and an internalized feeling of still being an outsider. Granted, no one had yet treated him as such. But habits were hard to get rid of and he preferred to stick to more known areas he'd gone to with S'far, B'jin, or Siro.

Chir kept his eyes downcast as he followed Caz, fully aware of curious stares following them. But even with his eyes down, it was impossible not to see the glitter of the gold of Malvayth's scales glinting in the sun. He lifted his head to admire the dragon's pretty color. With her belly rounded, there was only more there to love, Chir was certain. The boy dipped his head in gratitude when Mal introduced him to her rider and lifted his head to scratch along her chin when she bent lower to sniff at him.

If you wouldn't mind doing me the honor, he thought with delight. There were so many dragons that seemed to take great pleasure in being able to translate for him, Urudith being the one consistent exception. It was a relief to continue to meet others who didn't take offense at the added chore.

Chir blinked in surprise when she lowered herself to allow the pair a leg up onto her back, having forgotten why they'd come out there in the first place. Dragons always seemed to distract him with their pretty colors and delightful natures! He hesitated for only a moment before accepting Caz's hand and scrambling up behind her. After sitting along Mal's back, the boy spread his hands a little, uncertain where to hold on. He didn't want to take liberties and it definitely wasn't his intention to be inappropriate! When he'd rode on Urudith, there'd been reins to hold onto and he'd been situated in front of S'far.

His nervousness easily translated over to Malvayth before he had a chance to put words to the feeling. Um, how do I hold on? Because Caz's hips were an obvious option, but very forward in the boy's mind. He floundered a bit helplessly until he simply scooted back a bit and spread his hands across the wide swath of her. Okay, her girth made it easier to balance... Nevermind, he added with an embarrassed, internalized laugh.

I am. I think. Larrikith thinks I could Impress, at least. Despite his eagerness, Chir was less confident in the statement.

He blinked at the sudden pops that announced the return of Lady, followed shortly by another firelizard. At the aggressive way the bronze approached, Chir found himself leaning back uncertainly. He'd not met a mean one yet, but he had a knack for reading body language. The hunter held still as Sir sniffed at his still healing side, tensing more when he hissed at him.

Chirp, however, took great offense to the rude behavior. The baby green firelizard popped up taller on her boy's shoulder and let out a low growl of warning. Alarmed, Chir lifted a staying hand to keep the flitter from trying to start a fight she'd no doubt lose against a full-grown firelizard.

It's okay, Chirp, he tried to soothe, sending out a warning to the little one to discourage her from trying to physically rise to his defense. The last thing he wanted was for her to get hurt trying to protect him! That was his job.

Sending out an apology for her behavior, the boy ducked his head. Sorry. I didn't know she'd do that. She just hatched a little more than a week ago.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Malvayth rumbled again, delighted that Chir had called it an honor to have her translating. I like you! Very polite! You clearly know I am better than any horse, unlike some people. She was only teasing, and it showed in the merry lilt of her voice, but Cazan couldn't help rolling her eyes anyway. "Mhm. I know, I'm quite the villain." Pirate, the dragon corrected. "Right, quite the villain pirate." A bit more quietly she turned to Chir to add, "She's been on a pirate kick for the past few months ever since someone showed her a story book and she realized they have eye patches."

Mentioning the eyepatch of course made it itch, so she reached up to adjust it, carefully scratching at the scars that stretched out to her forehead and cheek before leaving it all alone again. Don't scratch your eye. I think Cazan should make a gold eyepatch, but she thinks it wouldn't look right. Do you want an eyepatch? "I think my current patch is nice enough. And I have fancier ones too. Dark colors are just classic." The one she currently wore was made of a supple black leather with delicate floral tooling around the borders from when she wanted to test a new tooling stamp.

Upon hearing the boy mention the green dragon Mal brightened. Ooh! Larrikith is good at things I think! And I think you are very nice so she's probably extra right. That made enough sense that Mal was confident in her decree. Lady's arrival distracted her for a moment as she chirped a greeting to her precious miniature gold. She didn't even notice Sir acting like a menace or realize what had happened with Chirp, but relayed his message to Cazan all the same. Caz reached up and plucked Sir off of her shoulder to sit on Mal's back in front of her. "No, Sir. Come on, you can sit on my lap. I'm sure Chir is a nice young man, and I think I could handle him, but thank you." Sir grumped and gave a hoarse objecting growl. He stayed relatively near where he'd been set for the moment, though he did peek around the goldrider's side to glare at Chir as a reminder that he was watching.

"Don't mind him, he's very protective. Doesn't really trust men much. Or women. Healers. Other bronze firelizards. You get the idea. One day he might just pretend to ignore you and it will be the greatest compliment." Sir certainly wasn't ignoring Chir now though, and hissed again to prove the point as his tiny charcoal stained head glared from around her side. "Anyway," Caz continued as she tried to relocate Sir again only to have him move his glare to her other side, "Don't worry about her. She was trying to save you from something scary. It's what Sir would have done." He saved Cazan! He is a very good Sir, Mal said matter-of-factly.

She continued her stroll until they arrived at the edge of the lake and she decided to just wade in just enough to relieve some of the pressure of her bloated belly by letting it float. This is the lake! It's nice for swimming, but not as nice as flying. "Yes, you are an excellent tour guide. Is your belly feeling better? If you want we can just go to the Sands next and you can warm back up and we'll relax with you. No more riding needed." That was exactly what the gold wanted she knew, and Mal brightened, letting out a happy warble at the suggestion. That sounds good! But is that what Chir wants? He's my guest! He should pick where we go.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir snickered in his soft way, breath passing more forcefully through his nostrils than normally. The more dragons and riders he met, the more pleased he was by the obvious bond between them. So easily, they fed off each other's humor or moods, sharing in happiness and laughter. Though he hadn't seen it yet, he suspected they shared in their sadness, too. And while it was never a good thing to be sad, Chir thought it was a real gift to have someone to share it with. He wondered if the riders knew it. Did they take it for granted? Surely not.

I think I've got enough injuries to heal from without adding an eye patch to it. The healers may wish to throttle me themselves, Chir admitted, equally affectionate as he was wary. It was a strange relationship still to subject himself to their medicine. All the touching and probing still took getting used to, and while he was lectured frequently, he understood it was all said with his health in mind. But...he wouldn't mind when he would be released completely from their care!

But I like Caz's! the boy added on, hoping he hadn't offended her with the thought. A gold one would help you both match though.

Hearing that Mal agreed with Larrikith's assessment left the young hunter warm with gratitude and pride. He hoped they were right! If he could bond with a dragon that was anything like them, he'd be lucky indeed!

When it came to Sir's outburst, the boy lowered his head submissively to the proud fire lizard hoping that he'd see he meant no harm. Chirp, however, wasn't quite so mollified and still curled her lips at the older male in an obvious sign of irritation with his continued malice towards her boy. The little green flitter's tail flicked with growing agitation and she resumed her growls as Sir moved to Caz's other side to hiss at Chir again. Hoping to soothe them both, the boy turned his head away from Sir completely to address his tiny sidekick with a soft kiss on the side of her face. That distracted her from her protective growls long enough that Chirp purred with delight and showered him with affectionate head bumps.

How did he save her? he wondered curiously, his attention inadvertently drawn back to the black-headed menace still staring him down. He was quite small, even if he was bigger than Chirp. The thought that fire lizards could rescue someone in mortal danger was amazing to him, and not something he would have expected!

Chir grinned as they reached the lake and stretched his feet until the toes of his boots could just reach the water Mal had waded into. It was a warm enough day that a swim wouldn't be unwelcome at all, but based on what Caz and her dragon were saying, he had a feeling that wasn't in the plan for their ride. When asked for his opinion on what they should do, it was only natural for him to agree with Caz. She would certainly know better than him!

I don't mind at all. Taith taught me some good places to scratch if you want, too. Perhaps others would see it as a chore, but Chir truly found the task to be incredibly rewarding. I bet it can be hard to reach some places with how... The boy floundered in a search for proper words that wouldn't be inflammatory. ...How close you are to laying eggs! There! That was satisfactory.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

The gold was disappointed to hear that the boy would get into trouble with the healers if he had a patch too. She didn't remember Cazan being in trouble back when she first got hers, but there had been a lot of fussing about her and the twins and there had been so much pain and fear. But the healers had helped, she remembered that much, even when Sir had tried his hardest to save Cazan from them. Maybe it was because she'd yelled for them. That made enough sense to Malvayth. Oh. Well I can yell at them for you if you want! That might help. I'm good at yelling at healers and they listen when I do.

Caz had no idea what question or statement had sparked such a response from Mal, and before she even bothered trying to find out she instead very quickly said, "No, the healers came because you called for help, not because you yelled at them to do something. They go help people who are hurt because it's their job." Malvayth paused in her wading to crane her head back around to look at her rider as best as she could. A bit more haughtily she added, It was because I am a gold dragon. Cazan sighed. "It certainly helped get a lot of them to come quickly, but I think it was more that they could tell you were being serious and trying to help someone. If you want them to keep listening to you, then you shouldn't yell at them for no reason, or they might stop coming." Malvayth was quiet for a moment as she considered. Like the boy who cried feline? Thankfully it seemed that some of the stories she'd heard had stuck, so the goldrider quickly nodded. "Yes. Just like that."

That at least seemed to settle that for the moment. Mal continued to pass on the boy's other thoughts, and Cazan did her best to keep Sir wrangled as she tried to respond to them. "Maybe I'll do gold one day, it's just a tricky dye to get looking right unless I want to spend the marks on a gold wher hide. And then I'd be much more tempted to use that leather for something else." She tilted her head, ideas and patterns already coming together as she thought about it. "I suppose I could always get a scrap of that... so maybe one day if I ever even manage to find a suitable piece of hide."

The question about Sir though made her frown and she picked up the lizard, looking him square in the eye. "Sir, I'll be safe, Lady and Malvayth will watch me. Go bring Yfris one of your toys." The charcoal marked bronze firelizard objected for a moment before finally chirping in agreement. Caz released him and watched him disappear, waiting a few moments until she felt that familiar surge of joy that meant the flitter had found her husband. She smiled for a brief moment before frowning again and silently directing Mal to head back to the Sands so she could warm back up and relax.

"Sorry about that, I had to send him away so he wouldn't get riled up by the memories. Lady is a bit more steady than he is when it comes to me being upset. Not sure if it's because she's a little older, a gold, or because it's just in her personality." She reached up to gently touch the eyepatch, finger tracing along one of the scars that radiated out from underneath. "Last year... there were a lot of deaths last year. A lot of attacks. In the last one against me the killer was a bit more direct. I was working and heard a noise, and when I went to check I saw someone standing over my brother with a knife. And... I don't remember too much. I remember Sir was there, trying to claw and bite at the man, I remember he got hurt but he didn't care he just wanted to keep everyone away from me, wanted to make sure I wouldn't get hurt more. That was how I lost my eye."

Malvayth had been quiet as she waddled along. She really was much bigger than she had been for her last clutch. Once Cazan finished the scary story, the parts she remembered at least, Malvayth let out a more cheerful chirp. We can relax in the sands and share better stories. That is when the twins came too! And they are good! Caz smiled and leaned down to pat her dragon fondly. "Yes, I'm certainly glad nothing went wrong there aside from an early arrival. Now come on."

She slid off of Mal's back to land in the soft sands once they arrived, Lady flying from her perch on the dragon's head to go snuggle affectionately around Cazan's neck. "So, Chir, welcome to the Sands. You'll come back later I'm sure for Touchings and Hatchings. Just be sure not to intrude when any other golds are here, or if there are eggs on the sands. Malvayth gets... protective once she clutches."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Laughter rang from the boy's mind even if not from his mouth. The mental image of Malvayth roaring at the healers for doing their jobs was too much. I appreciate the thought, but I think they mean well. He didn't want to imagine the kind of lecturing he'd get if they discovered he'd convinced the gold to bellow at them in his stead! No sooner had he thought it did Caz voice the same. The boy brightened further upon hearing them discuss The Boy Who Cried Feline. Even he knew that story! It brought with it memories of happier times when the world was simple and he could race around with the same reckless abandon other children did.

The boy perked further as Cazon mused over purchasing a golden wherry. If I find one, I'll hunt it for you! he promised. As thanks for the ride. No doubt, many would find it an unequal trade, but Chir didn't mind being generous here. His basic needs were met daily and he no longer had to struggle to do it all on his own, so he could afford to hunt just to make someone else happy. I'm a good shot. I won't ruin the hide. It's what I did before coming here, he shared, opening up more about his life before the Weyr without needing anyone proding him about it. I would hunt and cure my own hides, then take them to the Hold and sell them for materials I needed. I'm really good at it. This, at last, was a task he could truly be trusted with, and one he would undertake without anyone nudging him to do so. The next free day he had, he vowed, he'd go off in search of one.

With Sir sent off then, Chirp finally settled more comfortably around her boy's shoulders, practically melting with her satisfaction. Chir certainly preferred her more relaxed posture considering her tension had left tiny pinpricks from her claws through his clothes.

When Caz opened up about her injury, Chir fell quiet even in his mind. Sensing the woman's lingering distress, he dared not satisfy any curiosity and let the subject fall away. There was no point to her reliving through any traumatic memories just to inform him of past events. They really weren't any of his business, though he did worry over the fact that she'd said attacks. Plural. Hopefully, there would be no others.

Following Cazon's lead, Chir slid down carefully from Malvayth's back, her swollen abdomen ballooning enough that he worried about injuring any of the life she held within. Upon landing in the sand, he turned to stroke her belly softly and sent out an unspoken apology to the babies inside just in case he caused any discomfort in his dismount.

It's hot, the boy remarked to Mal. You like it this way? Is it because of your eggs or do you always prefer to be warm? He walked around to join Caz near Mal's shoulder and chanced scratching the golden female along the groove in her neck that he could reach where he knew the horses enjoyed. He suspected she would resent the comparison, but it was the best one he had. You sound like you're a good mama, Chir added. Your babies will be very lucky to have such a good protector.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Malvayth decided that Chir was clearly laughing at the healers and definitely not at her. Besides, he was only thinking nice things about her, and even liked one of the same stories she liked! It is a really fun story! One of my favorites. Cazan smiled and didn't bother to add that every story Mal knew was one of her favorites. Mal eagerly latched onto the idea of a magical golden wherry and immediately started to ramble at Cazan about it.

"Oh! Oh no, I didn't mean a wherry.. I'm sorry if I misspoke, I meant a wher, you know a watchwher? That sort... not. Mal there's no magical golden wherry hiding in the forest. No, Mal... dammit." The gold dragon was too busy chattering on and on and on about the creature and how it must surely have special powers and be very smart and elusive if no one else had ever seen it before. Cazan groaned, covering her face in her hands as she sighed as she gave up trying to dissuade the dragon anymore. She'd just have to ask T'ryn for some more help later.

It is hot! I like it when I've won my games. The dragon let out a long pleased rumble as she found a good spot to nestle down and partially burrow into that was close enough to the stands that she could still be near the people while she lounged in case they didn't want to join her. Cazan opted to climb up and sit on the edge of the half wall that kept those areas separate, casually swinging her feet. "You can keep touching her if you want, just scratch a little further left of where you did before along her neck.

Malvayth was delighted to be fussed over and complimented, even if it wasn't by Cazan (but that was fine, her rider was very important and very busy but still loved her the most). "I'll be oiling her tomorrow if you wanted to stop by and visit. You don't have to help if you don't want to, though as you can see I have a lot of ground to cover." Mal quickly turned her head to study Chir as best she could. You will right? You can tell me stories about you! And tell me how you plan to hunt the golden wherry!

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes was swept up in Malvayth's excitement over his newest quarry, unable to hear Cazan's protests over the dragon's exuberance. Eyes glittering with excitement, the boy nodded along with her ramblings. Yes, they must indeed be very elusive! He'd not seen one yet, but there were plenty of other colors, so surely there had to be a few gold ones. He bet they were bigger than the one that attacked him when S'far found him. Like Malvayth! Not that big, obviously. The thought of a wherry being the size of a dragon was a bit terrifying, and Chir bet someone would have seen one if that was really the case.

Rather than climbing up to join Cazan along the wall, Chir took her advice and reached over to scratch Mal more to the left. He thought little of it as he leaned forward to press a kiss to her neck as he often did to the horses he cared for in the stables. The affection came easily, and the touch-starved boy had so few instances to share his that he acted without any consideration for subtle implications that could be involved. His intent was innocent, so he didn't even pause as he continued to offer her loving scratches.

Caz's offer to help oil the golden female had Chir whipping his head around to beam at the rider. He'd love to help! Yes! he confirmed to Mal, then immediately launched into his ideas for how to capture this elusive golden wherry.

They like boar piglets, he shared with the dragon. The ones with stripes? I think because they're easier to carry. The adults can weigh a lot! Chir knew well enough after having lugged more than his fair share on his shoulders. I bet I could stake one out and wait. Maybe they only hunt at night because they're so bright? Though it would make more sense for them to hunt in the day when they could be mistaken for the sun in the sky... Chir's musings continued on an internal monologue that he forgot Mal was privy to as he continued his planning.

He wondered if the stablemaster would allow him to borrow a horse for his hunting trip. He could cover more ground, and if when he did manage to down a golden wherry, he would have help getting it back. Making a litter was an easy enough project, and having a horse haul the load back would be a great relief off his own back.

I think I'll hunt for it in the next few days! It would be a big hunting trip and he'd have to be well-supplied. Especially considering his last meeting with a wherry.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Cazan hadn't thought to warn Chir not to kiss Mal, the thought that the boy would even do it hadn't even occurred to her as a thing anyone would do. She wasn't even paying attention too much really, which in hindsight she really should have. Especially since suddenly Malvayth had let out a delighted chirping sound and suddenly had the boy's head in her mouth as she licked him.

"MALVAYTH!" The goldrider had a moment of panic because this would be the perfect most absolutely worst time for S'far to just casually walk in for some random question or another. At least her own spike of worry, if not necessarily the verbal shouting, was enough to make the dragon stop, huffing in annoyance. He started it! He kissed me so I kissed him! She didn't see why Cazan had to get in the way of her good times.

After a quick check to make sure no one was around to have seen anything, and sending Lady on a quick scouting flight to confirm that, she rushed over to check on Chir, hand grabbing a handkerchief from her pocket to dry his face off at least. "Are you okay? Sorry about that... she's... friendly." A bit more quietly she added, "Please don't tell anyone, I try not to encourage her to do that."

At least it was easy enough to distract Mal from her irritation with the speculation about the mystical golden wherry. Cazan just sighed as the gold began to jabber on about potential hunting tactics, none of which would have been usable to a human since they had no fangs or claws and couldn't fly to pounce on them from above. She resigned herself to just having to deal with this latest little fantastical obsession of Mal's until the dragon eventually forgot.

There was only one thing though, Malvayth didn't think Chir should go hunting so soon. What if it takes too long? What if my prizes are ready before you're done! You'll have to be here to see them. They're going to be very good, my best prizes yet! I had a very good game. She was quite smug and proud of that, even if her rider didn't necessarily appreciate who was riding Xyxyth. He was an excellent winner and had been fun to play the game with and that was really the important part.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Being inside a dragon's mouth was certainly not on Chir's list of expected happenings for the day. He closed his eyes as Malvayth's large tongue wiped him from his shins to the top of his head, her hot breath blasting against him as she returned her own form of a kiss. Despite her rider's loud protests, Chironhes's form was shaking with laughter as he held his arms out. Dragon slobber! And yet, he couldn't be happier about it. Now here was proof that affections were shared!

The boy accepted the handkerchief Cazan pressed into his hand if only to wipe his eyes clean. His expression was clearly one of amusement and joy as he shook his head in reassurance. I don't mind! You can kiss me whenever you like, Malvayth! It wasn't the dragon's fault she didn't have a cleaner way of sharing kisses! He leaned against the gold dragon conspiratorily. You have permission whenever you want, he promised. Chir saw no reason to discourage Mal's friendliness, feeling more than honored that she enjoyed his company to want him to feel welcome with her.

Since Mal's snout was low enough now for him, Chir snickered and wrapped his arms around her face, and kissed the top of her nose to prove to Cazan that he had no hard feelings about her gold's behavior.

When the dragon went on about her concern with his leaving so soon for the hunt for the golden wherry, the boy cocked his head. Oh! Your eggs? What if I don't wander too far? I bet I could hear your roar from a long way off. It's easy to come back if the stablemaster lets me borrow a horse. The boy smiled, already anticipating the dragon's dislike for the mention of the animals. I know you don't like them much, but they can run faster than I can! And I'd come running to see! Mostly because they were specifically Malvayth's! She'd already enamored herself with the boy in short order, and Chir knew if she requested anything of him, he'd be sure to comply.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

"I mind," said Caz with a stern frown as she pulled out another handkerchief and reached over to dab the spots on Chir's face that he'd missed while tending to himself. It was an easy enough habit to have picked up since having the twins. Drool, dirt, food, and who knows what else always easily ended up on their faces somehow and needed to be wiped off. "It frightens other people who happen to see it, and I don't need Mal to be grounded for behavior unbefitting a regal lady or a sneak thief hero." Malvayth's eyes swirled momentarily in annoyance with the scolding before she glanced over at her newest friend and slyly told him, Sneak thief heroes just do their kissing in secret according to the stories.

With that little bit of nonsense resolved in her mind she resumed chattering about other things. You have to be ready! Sometimes prizes can rush, and you can't just roar for babies! Cazan was suspicious about the lack of tantrum, but decided that maybe she was just lucky. So she nodded along as her dragon talked about the eggs. "It's true. They don't roar. They hum when the eggs are about to hatch. It's a little eerie honestly, since all of the dragons do it. The firelizards will join in too sometimes. Sometimes a dragon or flitter will even hum when their rider is about to give birth." She had no idea if that had happened when she had the twins, she'd been far too distracted to pay attention at the time.

"And really once the eggs are on the sands they'll probably be a bit more strict with the candidates. They have to make sure that they can get everyone in their robes and out here as quickly as possible." She gave a broad gesture to the hot sands around them. "So if you really do want to get any hunting in, you might want to talk to someone and get permission to go before she has the clutch. I still don't think wherries come in gold though." She smiled at that and wondered if this was how T'ryn felt every time he tried to convince her ghosts didn't live between.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir bit his lip as he turned away from Cazan, unable to hide his glee at Mal's secret thief kissing methods. He was all for that game, absolutely delighted by the idea. He'd have to be sneaky about his kisses, too! It wouldn't be far if Mal was the only one having to sneak around about it.

Hearing that dragons hummed when the eggs were ready to hatch was news to the boy. He'd always assumed because dragons were big that they'd use those big voices. Well, he knew Mal did. She'd proven that on the day he met Mylorah with the way she'd screeched across the entire Weyr loud enough that everyone could hear her.

Chir turned to Chirp and found himself wondering if she would hum, too, when it came time for eggs to hatch. Though the thought left him feeling uncomfortable, he had an idea of how to stay informed while he was away. What if I left Chirp here? Would she be a bother to you? Then, if your prizes start to hatch, she can come to get me? he suggested. With the firelizard's constant presence since her own hatching, the young hunter realized he'd grown quite reliant on her company. Whenever people ran out of things to try to say to him, Chirp served as a good conversation piece considering how much she usually had to say. Case in point, she lifted her head and trilled out an excited song and the possibility of being helpful.

Do I ask S'far for permission to leave? Part of it still sat strangely for him. Chir had been rather amenable to adjusting to the rules of living in the Weyr, but he didn't love the idea that he needed permission to leave if he wanted to. Granted, he'd lived for years on his own where he needed no one's permission to do anything. Especially hunting!

He narrowed his eyes as Cazan added that she didn't think wherries came in gold before casting a glance up at Mal. Do you think she's right? If there is one, I'll find it! I'm good at tracking! And tended to have a one-track mind for it as well, at the detriment of all else, his own safety included. Which was why that wherry had gotten the upper hand when he was hunting boar the day S'far brought him to Telgar.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Malvayth tilted her head and leaned in to curiously take a peek at Chirp. I don't know. Normally they're banned once eggs are here. Sometimes Lady or Sir would still show up after there were eggs, but they were always very careful and stayed on their perch atop of the gold's head. Cazan added, "She gets quite protective once the eggs are on the sands. She always thinks maybe it'll be fine, but she always ends up trying to keep almost everyone away except for a few visitors, and even if she let you in, it might be safer if you stayed in the stands and chatted with her from there."

The gold dragon didn't quite remember all of the details from her first Touching, she even forgot that a local candidate had been involved and Cazan had been very careful to keep that memory guarded to keep from setting Mal off on another war path. As it was, she knew that Malvayth's guest list was quite small, though she was at least fine with the winners of her flights visiting, and of course always Taith and T'ryn. Otherwise, the normally friendly and bubbly gold turned into a suspicious and territorial fiend. Maybe she'd eventually grow out of it. Hopefully it would be easier to convince her to let the candidates in for the Touching this time.

As the gold passed on more of Chir's questions Caz tilted her head as she tried to remember the actual and proper protocols. "Well you're a candidate, so you have to listen to the candidatemaster and let them know where you go. I think." She shrugged and added, "I wasn't a candidate just a spectator, and the few candidate classes I took I ended up mostly sleeping through because they happened right after I got Malvayth and I was so exhausted. Really T'ryn helped me with most of it."

Cazan sighed and said, "And yes, I think I'm right at least. S'far likes to go hunting and camping out in the wilderness, you should ask him if he's ever heard of or seen one. It might save you some time." Though now that she'd made the suggestion, she was worried that S'far would just make something even more outlandish up.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chirp squirmed along Chironhes's shoulders, delighted to have captured the golden dragon's attention. Scrambling on top of her boy's head, she leaned closer to Malvayth's snout and braced her foreclaws on it so she could lick the dragon's nose properly in a friendly greeting. Chir sent his firelizard an image of the bowl filled with eggs - as best he could imagine it - and sent the intention that she wasn't allowed here when they were present. The little green sagged a little, put out at being denied access anywhere, but perked back up quick enough when Chir also sent an image of a bowl of meat he'd have waiting for her when they got back to the barracks later today. She was easily bribed.

If I worked hard to make babies, I would feel very protective, too, I think, Chir admitted. He hadn't even made Chirp and he felt very defensive over the green flitter! If anything happened to her, he knew it would be absolutely devastating. That feeling must be especially so for children. I'll only come if you want me to, Malvayth, Chir reassured. He felt it more important to respect the gold's wishes than to follow his own eagerness to Impress a dragon of his own. It had to be difficult to be a mother and know your children could be in danger from others.

Chir made a mental note to locate the candidate master and ask for permission for his hunt. It still left his hackles up, but he knew he had to acknowledge he was a part of a community now and not just living on his own. The decisions he made impacted others, not just himself anymore. Being responsible and following proper protocol was the right thing to do, even if he didn't necessarily like it.

The hunter felt some disappointment when Cazan added that she felt strongly that golden wherries didn't exist. With such a strong conviction like that, maybe it was best he gave up the hunt altogether. He'd have to see what S'far thought as she suggested and go from there. Either way, he imagined the Weyr could always use more food, and he was a good shot. Perhaps if he posed the request in a way that showcased his skills and put them to good use, he wouldn't be denied the opportunity.

Returning to stroking Mal absently, Chir found himself considering baby dragons. Why do dragons need to have a bonded? You're all so strong. Is there really a reason you can't survive on your own? I heard dragons go between if they can't find someone...

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

Malvayth let out a long rumbling croon at the tiny lick from the green firelizard and returned it with another one of her own that was much more excessive considering how much larger her tongue was. She did adore the little things so much! She gave Chir a nod, glad that he understood that she wasn't really a villain, she just cared a lot! Caz smiled giving the dragon an affectionate hug as she stroked her neck. "She'll want you to come to the Touching and Hatching at least. We'll have a better idea for when those will be when she clutches, but probably
at least two and a half months until the hatching. She should clutch in the second half of next month and we'll see how many there are."

More than before! It was a really good game with a really good playmate. Mal was confident and a little smug over just how great the game had been, and she had quite enjoyed her btonze who had promised to convince his rider to visit more once she was sand bound and definitely once she'd clutched. Cazan had laughed at how greedy her dragon was for cuddles, but wasn't too worried. It wasn't as if Mal could rush this after all. "Maybe if Chir happens to be around at the same time you can introduce him to Xyxyth. He's quite friendly."

That sounded like a grand idea to Malvayth and she babbled on for a moment about how strong and handsome and charming and good at flying and playing games the bronze was. She paused and tilted her head as he asked his question about the bonding. Because we're dragons. It seemed a simple enough fact to her, and was a rather easy question to answer in her own way. Cazan frowned as she considered the question too. "I think it's like a puzzle?" She thought a bit more about her own Impression and added, "I didn't feel like I was missing anything before Malvayth found me, but now that I have her I can tell we complete each other? I don't think I could explain it any better than that though, sorry. Maybe your teachers will know."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Considering it was Chironhes's head that Chirp was perched on, Malvayth's tongue whipped up his forehead in the process of licking his firelizard's face. The action had his curls soaked in dragon saliva - again - and the boy shook with more chuffing laughter. He was certain it didn't count as a "kiss" that would get the dragon in more trouble since it was meant for Chirp.

Unperturbed by her bath, Chirp scrambled from Chir's shoulders up Malvayth's snout to settle comfortably on top of the dragon's head where she could lick her to her heart's content. The easy affection was shared between the young pair, and Chir was happy to see his pet felt the same.

He found himself wondering just how long dragons were pregnant as he looked again at the swell of Malvayth's belly. She looked ready to burst right then and there. To have to wait another month must be torturous for her. Scratching along her shoulder, he looked on with sympathy. I hope you're not too uncomfortable until then. He was grateful it wasn't something he would ever have to deal with! Chir had eaten a few meals that threatened to explode his stomach with his greediness and he'd sorely regretted it. But Malvayth was clearly having more than just a temporary belly ache! I will be here, he promised, for the Touching and the Hatching as long as you want me to be. Or as short.

And I'd like to meet Xyxyth! That is the dragon you...had your game with, yes? Chir listened with rapt attention as Mal agreed and gushed about the bronze. But the gold's explanation for his question about bonding only left him feeling more muddled and confused about it. That didn't answer anything at all!

Cazan's explanation was slightly better, though it didn't really give an answer either. But perhaps she was right and his teachers would know. Still, he would have thought dragons would have been the experts on why dragons would go between if they didn't immediately match to a candidate or spectator. It all just seemed so...sad. Couldn't they wait? What if their bonded was out in the world, just as ignorant as he had been only a month prior? If he never Impressed, couldn't he and others help care for those who didn't find theirs right away? Did they really have to die?

Sensing her boy's distress, Chirp skittered back down Mal's face to land lightly on top of his head again. Chir glanced up with a forced smile that became genuine as soon as she started licking him between the eyes. I love you, too.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

From her perch atop the very top of Malvayth's head, Lady finally stirred, lifting her own dainty golden head to study the little green trespasser. As much as she'd claimed this particular perch as her own, the gold flitter could share so long as she didn't have to move from her comfy spot. She gave a very casual little chirp to the visitor before settling back down into her nap. The dragon let out a pleased little rumble of her own, delighted by her newest flitter friend.

The comment about her comfort made her shift her weight slightly to burrow the bottom of her belly nicely in the sands. It's nice here at least. And I try not to eat too much anymore! I did once and it made it much harder to play the game. Cazan snorted softly and shook her head. That and you were still young, it was your first Flight. And I wasn't paying attention to keep you from gorging yourself. She didn't say the comment aloud, still a little embarrassed by how their first flight had gone and the drama surrounding it.

Sensing Chir's growing distress, Malvayth let out an anxious rumble of her own. Not wanting that to magnify any further, Cazan frowned and tried to think of anything to help soothe the boy even as his flitter tried to help. "The thing with baby dragons going between doesn't happen often. And who knows if there isn't something else going on there right? It's a very small percent... like how there's always a chance of a foal being stillborn or some pups from a litter not making it. Maybe there was something else going on that made them need to leave too." A bit more quietly she added, "Mal picks up on negative emotions very quickly, she's very sensitive and perceptive like that. So she worries." Hopefully that explanation was gentle enough that it wouldn't upset the gold even more.

Cazan tried to think of a good cheery topic that wouldn't lead to too much additional trouble. Chironhes had been very keen about hunting the mythical golden wherry, maybe she could just ask him about hunting in general. "You hunt a lot right? Do you go fishing or camping too? Malvayth likes camping, we had to camp on our way here when we made the move last year." Really she probably liked that it felt like so many dragons were fussing over her along the way.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes glanced up with a small frown at the odd noise Malvayth made. Even without a bond, he could tell he'd upset her. Or maybe she was just feeding off his own distress. The horses did that sometimes, too. If he was preoccupied with distressing thoughts, those that were typically nervous were more flighty than usual.

He looked down at the ground as Cazan tried to offer an explanation. It made sense when she put it that way, he supposed, and he was glad to hear it was a rare thing. With how many had mentioned it, the boy worried it would be more frequent. When the rider explained how sensitive Malvayth could be, Chir dipped his head in apology. Sorry, Malvayth. I didn't mean to upset you.

The young hunter forced himself to think of something else, the task made easier as Cazan changed subjects. Eagerly, he latched onto the offered lifeline and nodded with a smile. Or at least I used to before coming here. I guess I camped, too. But it was just everyday life for me.

Chir imagined his old home. He'd built the shelter with his own hands at the base of a stand of Skybrooms. It first started out as a simple lean-to made of fallen branches and woven Ging fronds to keep out the rain. Over time, he'd learned to cure canvases made of wherry and boar hides, using those to constitute the roof and sides of his shelter after waterproofing them with oil distilled from fish he caught. It had all been very trial-and-error, and there had been many days in the early times of living in the forest that he'd nearly succumbed to the elements, illness, or plain starvation.

It had been a difficult time, looking back now, in comparison to what was available at the Weyr, but Chir still felt fond of what he'd learned on his own. They'd all made very formative memories for him, and he'd learned those lessons with more permanence than anyone being taught in a less arduous setting. There was no teaching quite like experience and the looming threat of death at a wrong decision.

Chir didn't know the names of plants like Sironar. He had no knowledge-base of where things grew or why or how, but he knew which plants were edible and which were harmful simply by being exposed to them time and time again.

What's it like to camp with a dragon? the boy wondered. Do you make a shelter or find shelter? Do you sleep under the stars, Malvayth? Or on the tops of Skybrooms? I bet they'd make good perches.

Cazan
of Gold Malvayth

Date of Birth
14.02.717, 28
Height
5'10"
Eyes
Brown right
Build
Lean, tomboyish.
Hair
Dark Auburn, Short

Threads

It took a few moments for the gold to settle down, but she did nod in agreement that she liked camping. and when Chir started thinking about his own camping, and how he'd done such fancy things with it, she eagerly latched onto that excitement and those memories. She'd heard lots of similar stories from older dragons, and sometimes she'd listen to T'ryn's siblings tell her about Katilla and it sounded similar in some spots! So she rattled a few of their stories as well, about hunting trips in tropical jungles and trying to build huts and surviving dangerous feline attacks, each story growing more and more fantastical than the one before.

Cazan couldn't help but laugh softly as Mal went on. "I think you're embellishing a little bit. I'm pretty sure Zoremet didn't get mauled by fifty angry felines." The gold paused and turned to her rider, tilting her head cusiously. Are you sure? "I'm pretty sure. You can ask him later to tell you the story again if you want." That seemed good enough to Malvayth who blithely continued, Anyway I'm sure it was lots of felines chasing Zory and trying to eat him! And then they bit his leg off before he could get into a tree! That made her pause for a moment, confused by the conflicting memories. I think Zoremet has all his parts though... he got away! That's what matters.

"Mhm. And no sky brooms when we did our camping. Most of the riders stayed under tents, I did. T'ryn was especially worried about me though because I was about to explode." She hadn't clutched yet! Malvayth added for clarity. "The dragons stayed under the stars though." I had cuddles! "Yes, she did have plenty of those," Caz said with a smile. "I didn't do much camping before that. I have friends and family that keep offering to take us out. Maybe after the eggs hatch."

The gold gave an eager and excited chirp at that. Maybe Chir can show us where he liked to camp! "Maybe. It might be a secret though, like how some fishermen keep their spots a secret." Mal latched onto that and turned to stare at Chironhes as she waited to see what he'd say to that. Was he a sneak camper?!

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes quite enjoyed Malvayth's tendency to embellish her stories. She made everything sound so fantastical and bright. Even the ugly things! His brows winged up with alarm when she mentioned this Zoremet lost a leg to a bunch of felines, only to snicker when she quickly corrected herself. She was a delight as far as Chir was concerned!

Chir was easily distracted as the golden dragon when the bonded pair chatted about their own experiences with camping. Hearing Mal compare pregnancy to clutching delighted him to no end. It certainly made vocabulary much easier if he applied dragon words to everything!

I'll show you! The thought was immediately followed by worry. What if they didn't think it was as great as he had? Would they be disappointed? It was nothing as grand as anything in the Weyr, but it had been his, and he'd been proud of what he'd made for himself. But maybe they wouldn't think so? Feeling Mal's stare, he turned to meet her gaze and smiled. It's not a secret, he promised. I just don't know if you'll like it.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)