World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [O] 743.05.28 | Devotion Deeper Than Oceans
Late AM | open

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair
Curly dark brown to black

Threads

Written By: vet
It had been a whirlwind of five days. Chironhes had learned more in his short time at the Weyr than the last five years combined. While another his age may have complained about having their heads practically bursting at the seams, the Lemos hunter felt invigorated.

While the first day had been filled with all kinds of activity, the second had been laxer. Sironar had been tasked with giving Chir a tour of the Weyr, and the boy now had a fairly decent mental map of where things were. The following two days had been spent mostly in and out of the infirmary for repeated bandage changes and wound dressings. An infection had developed on the deep gouge in his left side despite early intervention and more aggressive therapy had been required. But today, he'd been given leave to start light duty.

Chir's experience with Runnerbeasts was relatively limited, but he took well to the early morning lesson on grooming and basic care for the animals. Though his right arm remained in a sling (that he would remove under risk of death per the threats from the healers...), he had no trouble at all running a curry comb with his left hand.

Whether it was his general soft demeanor or his aptitude for silence, the Runnerbeasts seemed quite content to have a new groomer among their usual ranks. Chir quite enjoyed that nearly all of them gave him no trouble at all and seemed content to stand still while he brushed out their coats. Even those reportedly with a penchant for mischief stood quietly, though one frequently tugged at his pants as if searching for treats hidden in his pockets. He vowed to find something adequate the following day and mutely apologized to the gelding with a stroke across his white blaze.

Grooming, Chir found, was a chore he was remiss to complete. He found the entire process soothing, and not dissimilar to curing hides. Back in Lemos, he'd found the same comfort in scraping the backside of skins until the leather had been made supple and ready for the Holdfolk to use in bedding or clothing. However, this was far more rewarding as he could see the contentedness his actions brought another creature. Most of the mares and geldings let their heads hang and dozed peacefully.

But there were other tasks to see to. Like working leathers and oiling saddles. That, at least, was one task he needed no instruction for. The boy worked steadily through the tack available, ensuring all of it was clean and had a restored shine. Chir threw himself into his tasks with an easy appreciation for the satisfaction a job well done could bring, not at all bothered by the solitude granted him throughout the morning. His focus was so deep that the boy didn't even hear the first thing said to him, only jolting when someone rapped at the door of the tack room to gain his attention.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
Mylorah had a free day of chores. Sometimes she spent the time with friends at Ista Weyr but usually she begged a dragonriding friend to take her to one of the other Weyrs to visit long distance friends. Sometimes she even managed to align with Tazikel’s schedule and she would see her charming Sir Tazicurls. Today was one of the days that saw her giving puppy eyes to A’tay. He was already going regularly to Telgar Weyr so Xyxyth could visit with Malvayth and make sure she was well and not in need of anything. T’ryn had been taking that whole situation better than they all thought he would and Mylorah bet it had something to do with M’quel. Hopefully her brothers knew what they were doing.

But she wasn’t in Telgar for her family. Today she was on the hunt for Fetch. She missed him dearly and wanted to spend time with him and perhaps convince him to Stand at some Hatchings again. It was already late morning so she didn’t bother starting in the Candidates’ barracks or the dining cavern. There was a very high chance he would be in the stables. His love of the horses was still odd to her but it was also cute watching him with the animals and sexy watching how his muscles moved when doing some of the labour. But she didn’t find him there either. There was a chance he was helping someone else with heavy lifting but she wouldn’t know unless she asked another worker about it.

She called out to the man working quietly on some saddles in a small room. When that didn’t get a response, she tried again, frowned, and then knocked loudly on the door, smiling when that got a reaction. When the boy turned around, she took a second to study him. He was definitely new, at least from the last time she had Stood in Telgar. Her last few visits hadn’t given her a chance to mingle with new Candidates and that was certainly what he had to be. She smiled and gave a little wave. “Hi! I’m Mylorah. I’m a Candidate from Ista but up here visiting for the day. When did you arrive at the Weyr? Oh, and have you seen Fetch? Fediletch is his full name if you know him that way.”

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

The woman's friendliness was immediately disarming and Chir found himself returning her smile with a shy one of his own. When she started inundating him with questions, however, that smile slipped into an expression of discomfort. He lifted his left hand in an appeasing gesture, palm towards the floor with his fingers lightly spread. Chir raised and lowered the hand subtly in a request to slow down. That was too much at once, but he'd try to answer in order.

How long at the Weyr? He lowered his head to start ticking the days off with his fingers. Luckily, it didn't require the use of his injured arm. He held up his palm to face her this time, indicating five days.

The second question, at least, was simple to answer. He shook his head no apologetically before finally bringing his hand up to cover his mouth before pulling it away to let his lips slowly form the words: I can't speak.

Perhaps he should request Sironar make a sign for him. Or he could ask B'jin. He'd offered to teach him to read and write just as Siro had, and Chir worried he already needed enough from his roommate that it wouldn't hurt to stretch out the burden of his education around. Besides, he already found himself missing the mute man's company, though he suspected it had more to do with his lovely dragon than anything. Larrikith had a gift for making others feel welcome.

The freckled boy slipped down from the saddle he was perched on and stood uncertainly in case Mylorah needed anything else from him. He didn't know a lot about Weyr life, finding all of it a bit overwhelming still, but he wanted to help wherever he could.

As long as it didn't go against the healers' orders. He did not want another lecture on the irresponsibility of disobeying direct orders meant to keep him safe.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Mylorah frowned again when no replies came but a hand gesture did. She was confused for a moment but she did clue in as the gesture was often used to soothe or indicate slowing down. "Sorry, I have been told quite a bit that I talk too much or too fast. I just like meeting new people and get excited when I see friends." She gave a little shrug. She couldn't help the excitement and was very much a social butterfly. That was at least one thing she got from her dad it seemed as she didn't get his blonde hair and blue eyes like the rest of the brood.

She was about to ask again for his name when he was covering his mouth and then mouthing something. She wasn't the best at reading lips, though she could catch a word here and there. But these ones combined with the hand movement had even Mylorah catching on and she gave a softly gasped, 'oh' when she realised. "You can't speak? That's okay. My dad's mate can't either so we're getting better at lip reading, well, 'better' isn't much when you sucked at it to begin with. But he also likes writing. Do you have paper or--" she frowned again when the boy shook his head. She was going to offer to find some but given how young he looked, there was a strong chance he was never taught the basics. She had helped Fetch with his reading and learned that a lot of Holds didn't see it as necessary for certain jobs and stations in life.

"Are you okay with a dragon speaking to you?" It was the only other option she could think of outside of just asking him yes and no questions. While she was sure that could get them somewhere and learn more about each other, it would possibly also get old fast. Asking if each colour was his favourite would get old after the third guess. Thankfully he nodded and Mylorah was back to smiling and took his hand to run outside. The stables weren't exactly near the weyrs the goldriders were in but close enough that her voice should carry up to the dragon she wanted. "Malvayth! I need your help!" Mylorah had a feeling people were used to hearing someone yell the gold's name but not so much the asking for help. I'm very busy modelling eye patches for Cazan. It's important! But I'll send Taith. He's still waiting for his.

She probably should have expected such a reply and chuckled as she watched the adorable blue leave Malvayth's ledge. "That's Taith. He's super friendly and will help pass messages on. Even if it's just to tell me to go away." She stuck her tongue out at her new friend and then waved at Taith as he landed and waddled over to them.

Hi, Mylo! Malvayth said you need help. Are you okay? Mylorah explained the situation and Taith did a little happy dance where he stood, excited to be useful and meet a new friend. Hello! I'm Taith. My rider is Kor'is but he's off visiting his friend Sh'ran right now. What's your name? How are you?

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes couldn't help but wonder if the person she mentioned that also couldn't speak was B'jin. He'd heard of same-sex couplings, but such things were rare in Lemos. At least Mylorah accepted his added inability to read or write without making him feel shame for the lack. It would have been quite easy for her to poke fun about it or speak down to him, but the young woman maintained her friendly demeanor without so much as skipping a beat. People in Weyrs were far more open-minded, Chir was starting to realize, than the Holdfolk.

At her mention of a dragon assisting them, the freckled hunter nodded with a bright smile. Maybe Larrikith was around! In a short amount of time, he'd developed a marked fondness for the green dragon as well as her rider.

Chir stumbled a little when the woman snagged his hand before he had a chance to dance out of reach on instinct. As his options were to run along behind or be pulled off his feet, the mute hurried along with her out of the stables. Instead of the small female he knew being summoned, Chir blinked in surprise as Mylorah simply shouted out for another. That was...unexpected. Perhaps he'd gotten too used to B'jin's and Larrikith's silent methods of communication.

Not having heard the Gold's exchange with Mylorah, Chir glanced up in confusion as she introduced another dragon's name instead. Following her gaze, the boy saw the striking black and cobalt hide and found himself marveling at the brilliant colors the sun brought out.

As Mylorah explained that the blue dragon would help, Chir snorted at her indication that he could also just tell her to go away. That would be far too rude! And unnecessary. He'd been working nonstop since early morning and didn't think the stablemaster would mind him taking a short break, especially to help someone else out. The community here seemed far more closely knit than back in the Hold.

Taith's introduction earned a smile and a shallow bow from Chironhes. With his right arm slung across his chest and hand fisted over his heart, it looked like quite a formal greeting. It's nice to meet you, Taith. Thank you for helping to translate. I'm Chironhes. Or just Chir. I'm doing well. Mylorah was asking for help locating someone named Fetch. I'd like to help, but I don't know who that is, he thought apologetically.

Without any conscious decision, Chir couldn't help the thoughts that filtered through on how he very much wanted to pet Taith. The dragon's hide looked inviting and he couldn't help but wonder if he'd enjoy the attention like the horses he'd been grooming in the stables had. As if realizing the idle musings had likely been heard by Taith, Chir's face warmed to a crimson that reached all the way to the tips of his ears.

Sorry, he thought quickly. I mean no offense. He wasn't at all sure what appropriate behavior was around dragons, but he hoped the male wouldn't have the same reaction towards him as Urudith had. The Bronze male had been quick to refuse any further communication with him after a blunder as a result of his ignorance, so now he was especially anxious about repeating the issue.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Oh! You're a very clear thinker, Chir! Taith gave a trill of excitement and his eyes whirled with happiness. Nothing had been relayed to Mylorah yet but she took the noise and eyes as a good sign and smiled at the pair, patiently waiting for the boys to finish what she assumed were greetings. Kor'is has always been good at it as well but that also means he's pretty good at blocking thoughts from me as well. There was a tiny pout to his voice but it didn't affect his overall mood and he was continuing on, maybe he can teach you as well so cranky dragons don't get offended and nosy ones don't go diving too much. But I don't mind pets!

As Taith settled into a comfy lounging position that would also give Chir the ability to reach all the best spots, he turned his attention back to Mylorah and passed on what he learned. His name is Chironhes or just Chir. I like Chir better. It sounds like 'chirp' which is a happy sound. But he doesn't know where Fetch is. I can help you look later though!

Mylorah laughed at Taith's innocent way of looking at most everything, even names, but agreed that Chir was better. "It's nice to meet you, Chir. And thank you for not telling me to go away," she teased again and stepped up to join in giving the dark blue dragon some affection. He was a good boy and showing it even more with his assistance so he deserved all the love. "Don't worry about Fetch, I'll be sure to find him before I leave. Have you met him yet? He's one of the sweetest people you will ever meet and he likes to help in the stables as well so I'm sure you'll cross paths soon. I'm assuming you haven't been here long since I haven't heard about you before since new people are usually worthy of gossip. Or, at least, something my sometimes boring brothers bring up when they don't have anything exciting in their own lives to share."

She was probably still talking too much or too quickly and she shot Chir a little smile of an apology. But making new friends really was as wonderful as hanging out with current friends, but she would try a little harder. When Taith lowered his head at Mylorah's silent beckoning, she rubbed along the eye ridges and up to the head knobs. "Has anyone shown you the usual favourite spots for scritches? Most dragons turn into little puddles of bliss if you rub here and here," she demonstrated where to place his hands and laughed when Taith acted out her words and did his best to melt into a dragon-shaped puddle. He really was related to Malvayth.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Taith’s advice brought another flare of embarrassment that communicated readily. Ack! So he had heard that. Learning how to block his thoughts seemed an excellent idea. If his thoughts just continued to spill unhindered from his skull, Chir had no doubt he’d make another blunder sooner rather than later.

Still, the boy was pleased to learn Taith enjoyed being lavished with attention! Chir approached calmly, ensuring his movements were clearly broadcasted so he wouldn’t inadvertently startle the dragon. He knew already that the horses could be quite flighty and considering dragons actually had wings to fly, he didn’t think it was too far a stretch for one to take to the air either from nervousness or irritation. Even if Taith seemed quite content, Chir figured it was best to keep the habit intact.

As he did with the horses, Chir stepped up to the blue male’s shoulder and set his hand lightly there. A thrill shot through him at the simple contact and he gently rubbed his hand down in a smooth stroke, lifting and repeating the process several times.

It became automatic now for Chir to listen patiently and answer with clear intent. It hadn’t occurred to him before that it could be difficult for a dragon to pick up on cues considering Larrikith had been so good at it, but he was pleased that Taith considered him a clear enough thinker to make communicating easy. Communicating with him, easy! Dragons were amazing. The Holdfolk and all their naysaying was obviously wrong.

We haven’t met yet, no. I’ve only been here five days. I’ve been in and out of there infirmary for a lot of it. Images of the wherry attack that had caused his injuries on his hunting trip flashed across his mind, though with less detail than they had while he’d been mind-speaking with Larrikith. The event was farther off now, and more important things had happened since. Like talking with dragons and becoming part of this strange, exciting new community. Everyone has been very kind. It’s all very different for me.

Chir’s smile was soft and kind as he continued to pet Taith, unbothered at all by Mylorah’s chatty nature. Even if it was different having people around talking, the freckled hunter found it a welcome change from the near constant silence he’d dealt with on his own for so long. Humans were a social species, after all, and though the boy was quite introverted, he’d missed out on a great deal of socialization over the years.

Mylorah’s question was met with a quick shake of his head, not needing Taith to translate that one. He stepped away from the dragon’s shoulder to get a better look at where she was scratching and made a mental note of the areas she showed. Is there anywhere else you like, Taith? Do you prefer scratches or strokes? Is it nicer if it’s lighter or more firm? he wondered, wanting the specifics to best show his affection. Chir gave it readily, more than happy to lavish the dragon in all he would take. The boy realized he could spend an entire day doing just this!

Does Mylorah have a dragon? She called out for… Chir hesitated on the name, a subtle frown forming as he struggled to think of how she’d pronounced it. Malvayth? She also mentioned brothers. How many? Who are they? Just in case I run into them later.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Taith thought about how he liked the touches, giving a little hum like so many of the humans in his life seemed to do. It clearly made them think better! Probably harder since humans are tiny and the light touches are very light. The head spots are very nice but the base of my tail is good, too! Taith swiveled his head and neck around to better point out where he meant and then settled back in place. When I was little, Kor'is was curious if I behaved like a cat and scratched me there. He laughed when my backside raised under the touch and said I was. He has a very nice laugh. Taith just wished Kor'is would do it more often.

Mylorah smiled at the dragon, knowing what he had to be thinking. "He does have a nice laugh and he's getting better at letting people hear it as well." And not just when he was laughing at how ridiculous someone was, she silently added. He was still their grumpy bluerider but he wasn't cutting all of them off anymore. She looked around the dragon to make eye contact with Chir, "Kor'is is...very selective about who he lets get close to him. If you meet him, don't take too much offence if he seems cold or very blunt. That's just how he is, but he softens a little eventually. He won't care if you hang out with Taith either, before you worry." Sometimes she worried about their bond but Taith never seemed stressed and he would know Kor'is the best so she trusted his judgement.

Mylorah doesn't have a dragon yet, Taith confided to Chir alone in case it bothered Mylorah. She always said it didn't but Taith was learning how some people hid their feelings to make others happy and wondered if that was the case with Mylorah. But I will let her tell you the rest. Taith passed along the other questions and Mylorah's smile widened as she shook her head and sat down where she stood.

"Sometimes I think it's easier to list who I'm not related to," she joked and patted the ground beside her for Chir to join if he wanted. She'd understand if he preferred to stand and pet Taith in all the spots he liked, though. "I'll start with the easier question since it leads in. Malvayth is a chatty gold dragon bonded to Cazan who is the mate of my brother T'ryn of bronze Syrendryth. Syrendryth is not very social but T'ryn is a sweetheart. K'dar of bronze Tiberuth also lives here. Kind of the same story, dragon can be picky but the boy is lovely. Um, Wynera is a sister that lives here. She's a Candidate as well so you'll probably see her around soon enough. My brother A'tay of bronze Xyxyth is in Ista but they caught Malvayth in her recent Flight so they'll be around here a lot for the next while. I got a ride with them today." She paused to take a breath and to see how much Chir's head was spinning from all of that. Maybe that would be enough for now? Or maybe just a quick summary to finish it up. "The Weyrwoman of Ista is also a sister. Casa of gold Thallyath. I also have a brother that lives at our aunt's Hold with his mom, and I have two brothers, Orgailian and Zoremet, who also live in Ista but will likely come up here for the Hatching as well."

She flopped onto her back and stared up at the few clouds lazily moving across the sky for a bit and finally asked, "do you have any siblings? Are you happy to be at the Weyr?" She still didn't want to ask about Chir's injuries, in case they were due to his being Searched. Did someone attack him for being Searched or was he Searched to save him?

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Upon hearing Taith's explanation, Chir scrubbed quite a bit harder across the dragon's hide, trusting the large creature's assessment implicitly. The hunter tilted his head and followed Taith's gaze towards the spot just in front of his tail. After only a moment of hesitation with the question of if it was alright to do so, Chir reached up to scrub at the area. He made a grunt of amusement at the dragon's reaction before turning to meet Mylorah's gaze.

They both seemed quite affectionate towards Kor'is. Considering the young woman's friendliness and Taith's ease and comfort around him, he couldn't imagine the rider could be at all bad if he surrounded himself with others like these two. In fact, Chir felt he understood Kor'is a bit better from Mylorah's admission. He, too, had some trouble connecting with others. At least, he had back in the Hold. It was mostly why he'd segregated himself to live in the snowy forests surrounding Lemos instead of carving a place for himself among them. But here, the boy felt he had a real chance to be wholly himself given time.

He made no indication that he'd received an answer to his question about Mylorah not having a dragon of her own considering the way Taith tender-footed around the question with concern for her feelings on the matter. He filed away the information but made no push to ask more.

Chir opted not to join the young woman as she sat on the ground, far too engrossed in giving the dragon his affection. He never would have imagined it was something he would be standing and doing so easily ever in his life! Dragons had always been made to be such untouchable creatures with riders that were lacking in morality. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

He nodded in understanding as Mylorah explained who Malvayth was followed by her rider, her rider's mate, and that mate's dragon. A gold dragon and a bronze. Got it. As she delved more fully into her own family, Chir truly made a valiant effort to keep them straight. However, he quickly lost track of so many names. Carefully, he kept his gaze on Taith's hide and confided to the dragon. You won't tell that I've already forgotten most of that, will you? he asked, hoping to bribe the cobalt and black male with more pointed scratches along the base of his tail.

He was more than eager when she didn't start quizzing him to answer her questions. Chir shook his head. No siblings. It's just me. There was a cast of sadness to the thought. It had been just him for a long, long time. I'm still finding my place here. The boy smiled to himself, bringing his left arm down to scratch along Taith's flank now that his arm had grown weary from stretching up. But I am happy. It was only a little bit of a shock to actually realize it. People here don't ignore me just because I can't speak like back home. They make an effort. He turned to consider the one currently stretched out staring at the clouds above. And there lay a prime example.

You came looking for Fetch. But is there something I could help you with instead? Chir asked, hoping to repay her kindness with some of his own.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Taith wiggled his backside under the good scrubbing Chir gave him. He was very happy to have made this new friend! Maybe he could even convince him to help with bathing and oiling when he had both arms working again since he would definitely find all the right spots. He was enjoying the soothing motions almost a bit too much and started to zone out during Mylorah's family tree but came to alert again at Chir's feeling of being overwhelmed. It's okay! I'm not sure she expects you to remember them all since they are a large family. Just remember T'ryn and K'dar since they both live here, are bronzeriders, and are very nice as well so they will be able to help you.

Mylorah nodded as Taith passed along the replies to her questions and she chuckled softly. "As you can see, I have siblings to spare if you'd like one. Including me, I guess. I'm told I'm a decent sister." She smiled, knowing she was rather protective if nothing else and she would be happy to extend that to the young man still lavishing attention on Taith. It would be hard to do with them in different Weyrs but maybe one would Impress at the other's preferred home Weyr. She'd at least tell T'ryn and K'dar to keep an eye on her kind new friend for her.

Taith enthusiastically mentioned how happy Chir was, doing his best to keep the message intact since Cazan was always telling Malvayth that stories were better with the truth in them. He thought he was doing a good job and neither human seemed to look at him oddly either! Kor'is might even be proud of him for helping so well!

"I was just coming to visit Fetch since I haven't seen him in a while so you're off the hook. Just hanging out with me for a little bit is helpful. And don't panic over finding your place. Everyone chips in where they can, especially Candidates since we can get pulled into lessons or shipped around Weyrs. But I'm glad you like it so far!" Mylorah may not have been as hands on with Candidates as her dad used to be or R'vi seemed to try to be now but she had always tried to make the new arrivals feel welcome and that they could come to her if no one else. It made her happy to see Chir happy--but she felt she'd better pass on a few warnings.

"Most people will be amazing and not ignore you but some are complete jerks." She sat up as it was a conversation that deserved her attention on the person she was speaking to and not the clouds. "I don't want to call out a certain colour of rider since they can be any of them but just be prepared that not everyone in the Weyrs are nice or accepting, okay? Most are, but bad apples and all that."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

T'yrn of Syrendryth and K'dar of Tiberuth. Chir committed their names to memory. T'yrn, mate to Cazon of Malvayth. Chir imagined it would be easier once he'd actually met and could put faces to names. For now, he repeated the names like a mantra until he could easily associate each rider with their dragon.

Mylorah's comment on making for a good sister had the young hunter smiling. I always wanted a sister when I was little, he admitted. He'd pictured playing in the woods with her and teaching her to fish, standing as her protector from any and all threats. And maybe it could have happened. But fate hadn't agreed. Determined not to bother Taith with his lingering morose feelings, Chir eagerly continued. I hope I can make for a decent brother, he teased.

For the most part, the boy found Mylorah's advice heartening, but the mention of being shipped off to other Weyrs had him frowning, his hands slowing in their scrubbing of Taith's hide. He still was learning his way around Telgar. Would they really send him elsewhere? Away from Sironar and B'jin and Larrikith and Fancy? Even S'far and Urudith... Worried at the implication, he chewed at his lip.

When she continued on with warning about how not all people were kind, Chir shrugged his good shoulder. That, at least, wasn't different. There will always be bad people. But if the good outnumber the bad, then it'll be fine. Better than fine, he resolved. Already, he had promised teachers. He would learn to read, to write, to stand on his own two feet with help already offered. Despite his initial misgivings with being taken from the only home he'd ever known, Chir knew he had chances here to grow and be more than he ever could have been as a lone hunter trading in skins and furs and meat to those in Lemos.

He had support here. And, failing that, he had dragons he could lavish with attention and find comfort in. Even thinking it, he leaned to press his forehead against Taith's flank in a show of fondness before scrubbing at his thigh again before finally stepping away to sit near Mylorah. While he could have spent all day scratching and scrubbing, he supposed it was past time he actually show his attention wasn't completely stolen by their dragon companion.

Chir let his mind wander idly in the stretch of silence between them then, closing his eyes to relish the feeling of the wind along his face. He hadn't realized how stuffy the tack room had been until he'd been out in the open air again, and was grateful for the break. Only when the worries returned did he finally turn to face Mylorah as he chewed the inside of his cheek. What if I don't want to leave here? Do I get a choice? he asked, trusting Taith to translate.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Mylorah smiled at Chir and let them slip into silence--meaning she stopped blabbing on and on for once. It was nice to just sit and enjoy the weather and view in silence sometimes. K'dar understood that and when they went camping, they would have their sibling bonding time where they caught up and talked about any issues but they also could sit quietly and enjoy being around nature again. Katila had a lot of bad memories thanks to the landslide but there were a lot of great ones as well and she sometimes missed being there with trees all around them. Maybe she was due a little camping trip soon.

When Chir finally asked about relocating, Mylorah reached over and took his good hand. "If you like it here, you can stay. Not every Candidate travels between the Weyrs. Some do just for a change of scenery, some try to increase their chance of Impressing, and sometimes the girls are encouraged for the gold egg so there will be a good selection." She squeezed his hand and smiled. "No one will make you move, especially if you're just settling in here still. But if you do decide to Stand at Ista or just get one of my brothers to give you a lift, I will gladly show you around. Part of the wall is missing so we have a plateau that overlooks the water and it's beautiful."

While Mylorah explained everything, Taith took his time to study his new friend so he could properly tell Malvayth and Kor'is all about him. But his excitement got the best of him and he suddenly blurted out to both, I like your spots! Will they stay or is that still your baby skin? Kor'is kept telling him that humans only changed in size and that their skin kept the colours and markings they started out with. But Taith wasn't too sure about that. Cazan's babies seemed to change and not just because they were a little bigger now.

Mylorah smothered a little laugh and shook her head, unsure if Chir was answering at the same time or not. "Those are freckles, Taith. Chir will always have them but I agree, I like them as well." She knew a few other people that had a large smattering like he did but still found that look to be rather unique and liked how they gave the person an innocence to them--even if one of the freckled friends was anything but. "I have a friend that has only one below his left eye. He calls it his charm point. By that logic, I'm going to have to assume you're full of charm."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes looked down at their linked hands with something like awe. People didn't typically do that sort of thing with him, and the youth honestly couldn't remember the last time someone had made the effort to provide such simple companionship. Perhaps when his parents still lived and he would take his mother's hand in his own and swing their arms between them. Or when his father would reach down to lift him high and toss him up before catching him safe again. The images spilled unbidden from his head until Chir squeezed Mylorah's hand in return and smiled. She couldn't know how important such a simple thing was, could she? Maybe she did. Either way, he was grateful.

He found just as much comfort in her touch as he did in her words. It was a relief to know he wouldn't be forced or expected to travel so far unless it was something he wished to do. He'd only just arrived here, after all. Only just started making bonds here. It could be overwhelming at times, and he would seek his solitude when chores were done and he was given leave by the medics to wander. To have to struggle to learn all new places and take in, even more, was just a bit too mind-boggling for him yet.

Taith's sudden compliment threw Chir off balance. Surprised, the freckled teen looked up at the lounging dragon with another smile as understanding dawned. Ah, his freckles. His mother had also been quite fond of them as well. She'd complained how it let him get away with more than he should as they made him look even younger.

Thank you. They'll stay. I like the black patterns you have, too! Mylorah was right behind him with the easy explanation, and her agreement with Taith's appreciation had Chir's face warming with pleasure.

When she continued on about them being charm points, the hunter snorted with amusement and shrugged his shoulders. I'm not sure about all that. Chir associated charm with those boys who could have all the girls watching them with a lingering, long stare whenever they walked passed. If people looked at him as he walked away, he suspected it was only to stare at the strange boy from the woods and not because there was any interest beyond that morbid curiosity. He'd grown used to those stares over the years to the point that anything different was more startling to him. Like having someone interested in what he thought!

Tilting his head, Chir glanced back at Taith. If you lay your head down here, I can scratch you some more if you wanted, he pointed out, a not-so-subtle request for the dragon to do just that so he could reach without standing again. Of course, that would mean letting go of Mylorah's hand first. Embarrassed when he realized he was still holding onto it, he carefully extracted his fingers from around hers and pulled his hand back.

Wanting to hear more about Mylorah, Chir found himself lingering. Still, the snorts and intermittent neighs of the horses reminded him he was supposed to be working and all that remained was that last saddle to oil before breaking for lunch. On a sigh, he looked back towards the barn. I should finish my chores. But would you both like to join me for lunch after? I shouldn't be much longer. It's okay if you can't or you're busy though. Not wanting either Mylorah or Taith to feel trapped by him, he offered the out.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

Thank you! Everyone says it's because of Kor'is. I'm very proud of my dark colouring. Taith wasn't dumb--he knew a lot of the comments when his new hide appeared were meant to be mean or to insult his mate but he didn't see it that way. 'Kor'is has infected his dragon with the darkness from inside him' just meant they really were a pair and influenced each other. He proudly showed off his bond outwardly and Kor'is... well, he smiled more and didn't have as many dark moods. Taith would turn entirely black if it helped.

"Taith was a very pretty pale blue when he was little," Mylorah explained as Taith lowered his head into the perfect spot for more scratches from both of them. "Sometimes a dragon's adult hide is similar but often there's a shift in colouring. Sometimes I'm sad to see such lovely hides vanish but Taith isn't among them. He's a handsome boy and among a handful of darker blues so he's extra special." It was hard not to like every dragon but some were far too precious not to love as if they were her own. Even Edath and Kadaisicalth were lovely but just not quite at the same level as Taith.

His whine a few minutes later when Chironhes glanced back to the barn further proved her point. She suspected what was being said but waited for Taith to pass it on and nodded with a bright smile. "Of course! I'd like to learn more about you and I can answer any questions you might still have about the Weyrs. Taith and I will enjoy the sun some more while we wait. Now go finish up." She gave him a playful shove to get him moving and then sprawled back on the grass once more to enjoy the day and watch the clouds go by.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chironhes saw no reason for Taith not to be proud of his colors. He looked absolutely magnificent and the black patterning only made the jewel tones of the cobalt blue seem all the brighter for it. Chir had only seen a sapphire gemstone once in his life and thought Taith put it to shame. When Mylorah explained that Taith used to be a pale blue and how some dragons changed as they aged, Chir tried to imagine what he may have looked like. Just how big - or small - were baby dragons? Sironar had insisted that fire lizards weren’t baby dragons despite Chir’s insistence to refer to Fancy Lad as such.

The young hunter would have been content to spend the remainder of his day trading questions with the pair of them, but duty pulled at him. He was grateful for their understanding and laughed on a puffing exhale when Mylorah pushed him to his feet. Not wanting to waste time, Chir jogged back into the barn to finish up his work. Despite his eagerness to return, he didn’t cut corners and worked with the same devotion he showed all of his tasks.

Chir was practically breathless by the time he raced back. He smelled of neatsfoot oil despite the mild soap he’d scrubbed his arms with after finishing with the tack room and figured it had seeped into his clothing. Unbothered by the scent himself, he hurried back to them and began scrubbing his hands across Taith’s neck in delighted greeting that he’d waited.

Food time? he asked with just as much eagerness. For a boy who’d grown on what he could hunt or gather himself, he’d already grown accustomed to having three full meals a day and snacks in between as he wanted them and could put down a startling amount of food in a short period of time. He stepped over to offer his good hand to Mylo to help tug her to her feet. You’ll eat with us, won’t you, Taith? I can fetch you something if you’d like.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

It felt like no time at all had passed when Chironhes returned and Mylorah smiled up at his eagerness to continue hanging out. As she got to her feet, Taith's excited bouncing stopped and he shook his head. Kor'is told me not to accept food for either of us from people he would consider strangers. He then said not to accept food from anyone if he's not there to make the decision. Mylorah gave the dragon a pat on the neck and then turned her gaze to Chironhes. "A year ago, there was a string of targeted poisoning via food and a lot of people died. T'ryn almost did." That had been a horrible time with good friends taken from them and her brother was almost among them. He was so much stronger than he gave himself credit for.

"Anyway! You will already have an uphill battle getting Kor'is to do more than slightly tolerate you so we won't mess with his rules. We can, however, bring our meals outside and sit with Taith. It's too lovely of a day to waste it indoors when we don't need to." Back to smiling, Mylorah took her new friend's good hand again to walk to the dining hall with Taith following behind them.

"I try not to think about what colour of dragon I would bond with--if any would even want me--but sometimes when I'm around Taith, I think I wouldn't mind a lovely blue boy like him." The comments wouldn't bother her either. Most comments were easy enough to ignore but K'dar taught her how to throw a punch years ago for the ones that deserved a response. But blue also offered a lot of freedom, especially in comparison to gold. And looking at her family, it was hard not to wonder about that colour. "I have three brothers on bronze and a sister on gold. So I can't really rule out gold as a contender, can I? My dad's a bluerider, by the way. I can't remember if I mentioned that yet. So it could go either way but I bet I end up on green." She laughed at the idea and how much more she would stand out from her very blonde family.

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Oh... Unsuccessfully, Chir struggled to hide his disappointment. He'd hoped to repay Taith for all his help with a tasty treat. But Mylorah's explanation had the boy's eyes widening in surprise. Poisoning? He'd not considered such a danger to lurk so closely here. Or, at least, he'd expected different dangers in the form of aggressive riders or wielded weapons. Poison seemed so...cowardly. Most of the people here rode on dragons!

Then again... The boy's hand wandered up to his throat distractedly. It had been a dragon rider who had delivered such a catastrophic blow to his life early on. He supposed cowards existed in all walks of life, riders included. Shoving the troublesome thoughts away, Chir leaned companionably against Taith.

I'm sorry you have to be so careful, he thought with true remorse. It was a shame that someone had damaged trust amongst the Weyr.

The boy blinked with concern as Mylorah tugged at his hand and pulled him along. Would it really be so difficult to make friends with Kor'is? But Taith was so sweet! Then again...he thought of S'far and Urudith. The Weyrleader was kind whereas his dragon was a grouch who still refused to speak with Chir because of his initial mistakes with communication. Maybe it wasn't so hard to believe after all.

Whether it was her intention or not, Mylorah distracted him fully as she began to speak of a dragon she would hope to bond with. It was impossible to disagree with her! Taith was beautiful and his sweetness made him easily likable. Chir shook his head when she mentioned her father being a bluerider. He was still trying hard to keep her family members together in his head and was grateful again there'd be no quiz at the end. Or if there was, maybe he could convince Taith to help him cheat so he wouldn't seem rude for forgetting.

I think they're all very pretty, he admitted. But it will be the heart that connects, right? He still wasn't all that well versed in the lifemate bonds, but he was learning!

Once at the dining hall, Chir joined Mylo to fetch a tray. He balanced his own precariously with his good arm, suspiciously looking around for any of the medics just in case before using the fingers of his right hand to help balance it. He didn't need to drop it and look like a fool in front of Mylo or anyone else...

Relieved to have managed it without earning some healer's ire or making a fool of himself, the boy eased down in the grass and leaned against Taith before digging into his food with the gusto of every teenage boy.

Mylorah
of Gold Amagrith

Date of Birth
10.02.721, 24
Height
5'8
Eyes
Light Brown
Build
Curvy
Hair
Brown, long

Threads

That is a good way of putting it. The hearts connect as much as the minds. Taith gave a soft trill of excitement over learning the best way to describe how they picked their mate. He knew the humans had their saying that the dragon always knew and they did! But he liked that their hearts connected just as much as their minds. In his excitement, he forgot to pass along the comment to Mylorah or even include her in the conversation. He didn't remember much about his early days, aside from what Kor'is held in his memories, but Taith knew who his bonded was meant to be as soon as he brushed the mind of a grumpy man and saw into him.

By the time the humans returned, Taith was lounging comfortably and let them eat without interruption. Mostly he was fascinated by how much Chironhes could pack away! Kor'is didn't eat nearly that much or as fast but maybe it was because Chir was still growing. He remembered eating a lot when he was growing so it made sense, even if it wasn't to help him get his adult hide.

Mylorah, however, didn't mind talking and peppered Chironhes with simple questions about his favourite things and giving her own answers. The delay in conversation seemed natural now, not that it had bothered her to begin with, but she was putting more effort into looking at Chir to watch his expressions. It seemed like Taith was doing a good job of relaying the replies but it didn't seem fair to rely solely on that so she watched for hand and head gestures and if he lit up with excitement over a certain topic.

When they finished up, Mylorah grabbed their plates, insisting Chironhes stay with Taith and bounced off to return the items. She appeared again a few minutes later, smiling and still with a skip to her step and gave a little twirl to finish off the movement. "How much more free time do you have? I don't want to steal it all and I should go find Fediletch and Kor'is eventually but I would like to spend a bit more time with you as well, Chir."

Ch'es
of Bronze Pardrith

Date of Birth
09.07.726, 18
Height
5'7"
Eyes
Brown
Build
Lithe
Hair

Threads

Chir beamed brightly as Taith agreed with his comment. Wasn't that how most connections happened? Even between people, wasn't it that they saw beyond what was easily observed and right to the heart of who someone was? It was at least what he believed, which was part of why he appreciated dragons so much. So far, they seemed better able to see into peoples' hearts.

It was a simple matter for the mute boy to supply answers to Mylorah's questions without skipping a beat. He didn't even need to stop chewing or swallowing to provide a response for Taith to offer back, making the conversation nearly seamless. Chir choked once or twice when Mylo's questions encouraged laughter from him while he chewed, but he recovered quickly while firing back questions of his own.

Once their lunch was finished, Chir gratefully passed his plate over to Mylo and lounged back against Taith while patting his full belly with satisfaction. Back home, it was a rare day he was able to eat until bursting considering he had to always save something for harder times when food was more difficult to come by. Since joining the Weyr, he'd had three meals a day with snacks throughout whenever he wanted them! Despite his initial misgivings, this was a good place, and he realized how lucky he was that S'far and Urudith had found him when they did.

Chir got to his feet when his new friend returned and scratched Taith's side idly as he looked skyward. Judging by the sun, he had at least another two hours before he had to prepare for reading and writing lessons. You're not stealing it, the freckled youth reassured, smiling earnestly. This has been fun.

Meeting people had always been nerve-wracking for Chironhes, but Mylorah and Taith made it so easy with their endless kindness. He realized he could spend hours in their company and it feel like mere minutes. Perhaps that was what made friends! It was nice to finally have some.

I have a few hours, he continued. Are you still free, too, Taith? I don't want you to feel trapped if there are other things you'd rather be doing. Unless you want to help us find Kor'is?

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)