World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [P] 743.04.06 | What the Future Holds
Midmorning @B'jin

Date of Birth
02.08.723, 20
Height
5' 8"
Eyes
Blue
Build
fit
Hair
Brown

Threads

Written By: Delorean
A hand covered light blue eyes as she looked up toward the flag as it snapped in a sudden wind. Wisps of brown hair slid across her pale skin. She got lost for a moment in the way the flag moved before her mother's voice startled her out of her uncharacteristic daydream.

"Mae." The first time didn't get her attention. "Maerihn!"

The young woman made a sound and finally looked away from the flag. "Hm? Sorry mother, what were you saying?"

"I was saying you can't just wait around for your father to make you an apprentice. You're skilled. He knows that. You know that. Everyone knows it."

Maerihn heard it in her mother's voice. "But…"

"But." Her mother sighed. "But you're a woman."

Frustration colored the snap of the shirt as she got out the worst of the wrinkles b fore she hung it on the line. "So I've been told."

Both women continued to hang laundry, the pile on the basket shrinking. "It isn't fair but it is how it is. If you'd just stay and learn my craft!"

"No." The tone in Maerihn's voice brooked no argument. "I don't want to be a midwife." Another sigh came from the other side of the clothes that swayed in the wind. The wet of the clothes and the cool wind made her hands sting. It was sunny enough to dry clothes but cold enough that Maerihn, when all the clothes hung, stuck her hands in her armpits to warm them.

Her mother picked up the empty basket and ducked beneath the line to stand in front of her. "If being a miner is what you want, while I don't understand it, you need to talk to another master. You can't expect your father to…"

"To what? Recognize that I am better than most of his apprentices? That a man with my skills and age could probably walk the tables to be a journeyman? How can I…" At the look in her mother's eyes, the anger left her suddenly. "I'm sorry mother. You're right. If father promoted me, no one would take it seriously."

Putting the basket on her hip, the olde woman dug some small marks from her pouch. "Go get yourself something to eat and just…think about it."

Maerihn indulged the check her mom leaned toward her with a kiss. It was a tactic her mother used since she was old enough to run to the stalls by herself; pass her some small marks and send her off for something sweet.

Watching her mother move back into the hold, she rubbed a hand over her face. Maerihn felt the hair that escaped her braid. She dismissed the thought of fixing it as she made her way to the stalls.

With a sweet roll and klah in hand, she sat at an empty table and began to contemplate the future. Her mother was right. She was almost twenty. She couldn't just follow her father around, assisting him for the rest of her life. Mid thought, a dragon appeared from between. Everything else left her head.

PA - First Post!

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

Written By: ThistleProse
B’jin was not normally an early riser, especially of late. Depression had sunk into the greenrider’s bone solidly, and he was having a lot of trouble escaping it. His habit of drinking himself into a stupor most nights likely didn’t help, but B’jin had trouble caring, though he did his best to cut back a bit, when R’nd voiced his concerns; he didn’t want to hurt his mate, and B’jin loved R’nd above almost all else, even alcohol.

That morning, however, a green dragon had decided to Fly, and she was very vocal about her challenges, and the sky had erupted in shrieks and roars that had denied the voiceless Harper from sleeping in like he normally enjoyed. Instead, he’d grumpily gotten up from bed, and made his way to the bath, wanting nothing more than to feel alive. To his great delight, R’nd had joined him, and the pair had made the most of the unwelcomed early morning, helping wash each other’s backs, amongst other… places.

Unfortunately, R’nd had plans that day that B’jin couldn’t crash, so the greenrider had found himself alone on the ledge of their shared weyr, standing beside his dragon as they looked down on the Werybowl and wondered mentally what to do with themselves that day. It was Larrikith who decided she wanted to go Elsewhere, and B’jin had finally agreed that an adventure sounded fun. He had re-dressed in some slightly fancier clothing, picking out one of his favourite scarves to wrap around his neck so his scarring was hidden from view.

Putting Larrikith’s riding straps on, B’jin had mounted up and the pair had debated for a few moments on where it was that they should go. After a bit of back and forth, it was decided they’d just head over to Crom, which wasn’t that far away, but B’jin hadn’t been to their shops yet to dig up some new scarves, and he wanted to see if they had anything nice. Perhaps he’d also get a gift for R’nd, since he’d been so sweet while B’jin was busy being a depressed disaster.

Dropping off the ledge, the pair visualised the Hold in question, before winking between. Appearing above the Hold, B’jin patted Larrikith’s hide as the small green dragon lazily circled in a downward spiral, and landed lightly in the centre square of the Hold, letting B’jin hop off before she took off again, though she didn’t go far. Larrikith perched lightly on one of the large, sturdy buildings so she could look over her rider and listen in on the gossip of the Holders. She may also have done more than a little preening as some of the younger or more sheltered individuals gazed at her in awe.

Amused, B’jin shook his head to himself as he made his way to the closest store, looking in the windows before moving on. He wasn’t sure what he wanted to get R’nd for a gift, but he knew he would know it when he saw it. Smiling to himself, he came across a store that seemed to be primarily targeted towards fashionable items for higher ranked Ladies. B’jin pushed the door open, and stepped in as he tucked his riding gloves into his belt (he’d left his helmet with Larrikith) and brushed his blonde hair back with splayed fingers of his left hand.

B’jin waved a greeting to the woman that looked up from the other side of the counter, and then tapped his throat lightly with a gentle motion to indicate he couldn’t talk. The woman babbled something about being available if he needed any help, and B’jin flashed her a winning smile before poking around, finally finding a stand with several pretty and gauzy summer scarves on them. B’jin started picking through them, holding some up to examine, and then putting them back as he clicked his tongue against his teeth.

Which do you think, Larrikith? B’jin asked mentally, holding up two scarves as he peered into the small mirror that was available in store (confirming his suspicion that it was designed to cater to rich Ladies). Larrikith? Hrm? He could tell her attention had been diverted, and B’jin sighed dramatically and rolled his eyes. Oh. I like the blue one, she said after a moment of consideration, looking through her rider’s eyes to see what he was considering. It looks like Ayyonth’s hide. Also there is a girl gawking at you.

B’jin arched an eyebrow, and turned around, still holding the scarves, to peer first at the door – no one – and then out the window. He grinned impishly at the girl who was on the other side, and waved a hand to invite her in. Just because he couldn’t talk, didn’t mean he couldn’t communicate! He had his little chalk board that he always kept attached to his belt, now, and Larrikith could talk when writing grew too much of a hassle. B’jin waited to see if the girl would join him, putting aside the not-Ayyonth coloured scarf as he waited.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 750 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Date of Birth
02.08.723, 20
Height
5' 8"
Eyes
Blue
Build
fit
Hair
Brown

Threads

Maerihn hadn't meant to follow the green rider nor had she meant to continue following him. She found dragons absolutely beautiful and took every opportunity to get to know a dragon rider. So long as she wasn't being annoying. She paused in front of the window of the shop the green rider disappeared into. Was she an annoying person? Was the way she went out of her way to socialize with riders annoying? She felt, and no doubt looked, mortified as B'jin noticed her and waved her in. Too late now.

Pushing aside the embarrassment, the miner's daughter smiled and moved toward the door. Her feet suddenly stopped in the momentary safety between the window and the door and took a breath. She, of course, had no idea the green dragon watched from above. The door swung open and she gave a small wave to the shop keeper before making her way to B'jin. Suddenly she realized she'd left her sweetroll and klah half eaten and half drank on the table.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to follow you like that. It has been a while since I've been to any of the weyrs." Absently, she reached out to touch one of the scarves he'd been looking at with a calloused hand. "I thought maybe we'd met before but I don't think we have." Maerihn wasn't usually a nervous talker. She wasn't usually nervous. It took her a moment as she looked from him to the blue scarf he held and back again before she took in a breath and pushed the nervousness away. She'd spoken to dragon riders many times before. There was no need for her to be nervous. When she spoke again it was with unobtrusive confidence. "That blue is lovely."

Another pause drew between them before she stuck out a strong hand. "I'm Maerihn. Most people call me Mae." The twenty year old had an easy way about her, despite the nervousness the exchange began with. Working with her father brought her from place to place, from person to person which fostered an ease of talking to new people.

PA - First Post!

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

B’jin smiled gently at the young woman when she came inside and joined him. As she spoke, he raised an eyebrow slightly at the comment about having thought they’d met, and he shook his head slightly; he was sure he would have remembered her rather striking eyes. The compliment to the scarf had B’jin flash another bright smile, and he nodded once as he stroked one hand over the gauzy material.

Gaze shifting to the hand that was extended, B’jin took it with his own hand; his was smooth and soft from years of applying oil to his dragon’s hide. Years ago, he had had calloused fingers from playing the guitar, but one could only oil a dragon for so many years before one’s hands were turned soft as silk! B’jin didn’t mind, now, though he had absolutely abhorred being a dragonrider back in the early days. Such was life. At least then he’d still been able to talk. And sing. B’jin sighed, and took his hand back gently.

B’jin reached down to unhook his little chalkboard from his belt. It was a small rectangular tablet, about three-hands wide and five hands tall, hung on a leather tether that connected to B’jin’s belt. Picking a stick of chalk out of his pocket, B’jin quickly wrote a simple message, before turning it around to display to the girl. His handwriting was neat and easy to read – assuming the girl before him was capable of reading! He hadn’t thought of that, and B’jin’s gaze studied her face to make sure she could read it. Otherwise he would have to get Larrikith to intervene.

Hi! I’m B’jin. My dragon is Green Larrikith. We’re from Telgar Weyr. It’s lovely to meet you! I don’t think we’ve met before.

After a few moments, when B’jin was sure the girl – Mae – had read it, he wiped it off with his sleeve and wrote some more words down carefully, before turning it once more for her inspection.

The blue scarf matches my mate’s dragon. It’s for me, but I want to get him a gift, too. Do you know the Hold well?

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 750 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Date of Birth
02.08.723, 20
Height
5' 8"
Eyes
Blue
Build
fit
Hair
Brown

Threads

The striking eyes looked down to the board he wrote on. Thankfully, her parents had taught her to read. A Dragonrider that couldn't speak. That was interesting. Curiosity resonated in her for a moment before she pushed it down. People didn't always want to talk about such things, or so her mother had told her so many times. It was hard but Maerihn read the board. "B'jin! No, I'm sure we haven't met but I am glad to meet you now."

She glanced out the window to where she could just see the lovely green on the roof of one of the stone buildings. "If you could impart my greetings to the lovely Larrikith, I would appreciate that."

As B'jin turned the board around the second time, Maerihn read it carefully. She smiled brightly. Most holders might be disgusted or turn their noses at such a pairing but the miner's daughter had spent quite a bit of time with dragonriders. She was no weyrbrat but the reaction to things dragonriders did was no longer shock.

"I was born here. I spend most of my time between here and the Minecraft Hall. Travel about with my father to different weyrs and holds." She nodded. "What sort of gift are you looking for? The speciality here of course is gems and such from mining but we also do a lot of trading with the Smith, along with other halls, so jewelry, often with lovely gems and crystals and such. What were you thinking?"

With one final touch of one of the scarves in front of them, Maerihn turned her complete attention to the Dragonrider and his response. Once again she ached to ask him what happened, why he had no voice but the bright smile kept her curious questions at bay.

PA - First Post!

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

B’jin flashed a bright smile and tossed a wink towards Maerihn when she offered her greetings to Larrikith. He could feel the green’s amusement, but for some reason she was still delaying reaching out to the young woman. B’jin was pretty sure his dragon was playing some kind of game only she was aware of (which was completely in character for her, the tart) but he did wonder what it would mean for his day’s plans. So long as she didn’t decide to Fly, he supposed he could survive whatever she had planned. Not that she should Fly; she’d Flown only a couple of weeks ago. He felt her amusement deepen, and opted to ignore her.

Clicking his tongue thoughtfully against his teeth, B’jin considered what it was that Maerihn had said, even as he indicated he would be right back. He took the moment to store owner and purchase the blue scarf, handing over the marks without trying to counteroffer on the price. Sometimes he could be a hard bargainer, but other times it wasn’t worth the effort. Mostly, though, he felt the price being asked for the scarf was fair, and he was happy to make the payment. Making his way back to Maerihn, B’jin used his sleeve to once more wipe clean the tablet’s surface, still thinking.

Well, R’nd doesn’t have any piercings, he wrote, the coy little smirk forming on his lips as he turned the tablet around for Maerihn to read. The bluerider probably had had piercings when he was younger, before he was Searched and ultimately ended up in Katila, but if he had, they had long since been abandoned. B’jin wasn’t sure why dragonriders didn’t keep their piercings; he knew metals weren’t the best for travelling between, but jewellery could be made from bone and from wood. Perhaps he’d investigate commissioning some jewellery be made from such substances; he had enjoyed having piercings when he was living it up in the Holds.

Wiping off the words again, B’jin wrote once more. Do you know if any of the jewellers also work with leather? Worse case, B’jin supposed he could buy the pretty gems – maybe some in blues and greens like their dragons – and commission Cazan to work the jewels into a leather necklace, but she was quite busy with her dragon, her mate, and their offspring and goodness knew T’ryn might kill him for encouraging Cazan to work when she should be resting! Smiling as Maerihn considered his written question, he led her out of the store, waving one last time to the store owner before indicating that if she had any ideas, she should lead the way to them.

Feel free to move them to the next stop in their adventure :D

Date of Birth
02.08.723, 20
Height
5' 8"
Eyes
Blue
Build
fit
Hair
Brown

Threads

Maerihn had no idea that Larrikith often reached out. In her experience, it was rare for dragons to do so, not that she was an expert. As B'jin went to pay, the young woman refolded the scarf or two that she'd unfolded. Wouldn't do to leave something worse than how she'd found it.

As the green rider returned, Maerihn frowned, considering the many shops in Crom Hold. Finally, she brightened. "I know just the place!" With that, she led the way out. The miner's daughter was nothing but respectful. She held the door open, letting it close gently behind B'jin as they went. Her eyes, unbidden and unrelenting, moved to look at the beautiful green above the buildings. She couldn't help the sigh that escaped her but, as she noticed, her throat cleared.

"This place," she said, pointing to a door a few down. "It has a lot of the raw materials: hide, treated and/or colored, gems, lovely shaped metals." She paused as she held open the door. The outside cold wasn't as bad when your hands weren't wet. "But also pieces that crafters have traded to the seller for more materials. There are some lovely ones."

As they moved into the less bright interior, B'jin would see that Maerihn's description was perfectly accurate. Most of the shop was taken up with lovely materials that could be used in making pieces. One wall sported a beautiful display of already made items, some even with Master's stamps. There were a few cuffs with gems or stones placed artfully, necklaces woven from leather, and even lovely pouches with designs and metal clasps, some inset with gems.

She moved toward the display and pointed to one cuff in particular. It was a darkly tanned leather cuff with green stones placed artfully. "Since you're getting a blue scarf, you could get your weyrmate a cuff with green stones." She touched it lightly. "How long have you two been together?" Okay. She couldn't help her curiousity too much. Asking about his relationship was fine, right?

PA - First Post!

B'jin
of Green Larrikith

Date of Birth
23.06.683 AL, 61
Height
5'9
Eyes
Brown
Build
Sturdy, softly fit
Hair
Blonde, Silver

Threads

B’jin grinned brightly at Maerihn’s excitement as she proclaimed knowing just the place for him to look, and he walked beside her as looked up at Larrikith in awe; it was a common response to dragons, and Larrikith was no exception, though she was hardly a specimen of elegance and beauty. His little dragon was exactly that – little – and she was rounded and fat, though she did carry most of that weight well, she was getting a little loose in the muscles from a lack of ongoing activity. B’jin glanced at his dragon, studying her thoughtfully. He really should go flying with her more. When he was a child, B’jin’s son N’mor used to take Larrikith out flying (with or without B’jin himself) and the greenrider could see how the lessening activity over the years had resulted in his dragon losing her muscle tone. The realisation that he and his dragon were actually getting old sent a cold shiver down his spine.

Scratching at his cheek with one hand, B’jin realised absently that he hadn’t shaved that morning, and hoped he didn’t look too scruffy with whatever growth was there. When Maerihn pointed out the shop they were heading to, he nodded, listening avidly as she explained the types of wares the store held in stock. B’jin didn’t bother to write on his little tablet as he followed the young woman the rest of the way to the shop, smiling at her promise of quality goods. He bowed playfully when she held the door for him again, and entered with a steady step, looking around with curious brown eyes and an expression of approval.

B’jin waved to this store’s clerk, though the man appeared to be busy with another customer, before turning to follow Maerihn as she went over towards the display. B’jin was pleasantly pleased by what he saw, and gave a soft snort of amusement when the young woman pointed out a cuff. She had good taste, and while she quite likely had no idea who R’nd was or what he looked like, B’jin could tell the dark leather would look excellent against his mate’s delicious skin. The bluerider had paled somewhat since they had returned North, rather than the richly sunkissed bronze he used to be. Not that B’jin minded; he’d love R’nd no matter how much sunshine his body got, but there were both pros and cons to living in Telgar – pros, snuggling to avoid the cold; cons, no naked R’nd roaming around, except occasionally in the summer…

B’jin shook his head slightly, snorting softly as he brought his mind back into the current conversation and tilted his head at Maerihn’s curious question – once he remembered she had asked it. B’jin chewed on his bottom lip thoughtfully for a moment, before digging up his tablet once more, and writing on it carefully. He wondered idly as he wrote if she’d avoided saying R’nd’s name because she didn’t know how to pronounce it. He certainly wasn’t able to do so for her, and the vowelless word wasn’t exactly the type to roll easily off a tongue without some guidance!

Somewhere around the ten-year mark, I think. B’jin smiled wryly at the somewhat vague answer. The truth was, he wasn’t entirely sure when his relationship with R’nd had gone from friends to weyrmates, since they had both avoided that particular topic for so many years. R’nd had been frightened of commitment, and while B’jin had been ready to label their relationship earlier than the bluerider, he had had his own demons to overcome before he had finally gotten there himself. Then there were the times B’jin had caused… well, not breakups but nearly as much. B’jin’s nose scrunched up slightly at that thought, before he turned his board back and wiped it clear once more.

A sudden puff of cold air above them had B’jin looking up in surprise, as Shimmer chirped a greeting to her human, then looked at Maerihn curiously as she landed on B’jin’s shoulder, wrapping her golden tail around his neck and nuzzling against his cheek. She chittered at him, and B’jin smiled as he raised a hand to rub the little firelizard’s eyeridge before turning back to his tablet. This is Shimmer. She’ll be ten this year. She was supposed to be a gift for R’nd, but hatched unexpectedly. Well, that was one way to put it. B’jin opted not to think about that encounter too much. Larrikith still hasn’t warmed up to her! His amusement at that was thick and heavy, eyes twinkling as Shimmer crooned again and rubbed her head against his cheek once more.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)