World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [C] [EVENT] 741.10.12 | Family Gathering
12.10.741, mid-morning

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair
Red, jut past shoulders, curly

Threads

Written By: KiTelli
Aederyn thought she had dreamed it.

But no, there, chittering loudly with her little brown firelizard, almost scolding him, was her brother’s brown firelizard, slightly larger, with reversed markings, she recognized the creature. It took a moment for her to do so, so out of context that he was, and she stopped short, dropping the water skin she’d been holding, spilling its contents into the Weyr bowl.

If Handsome was here, then Alekse must be close by…she quickly sorted through the reasons that might be near and thoughts of the Gather going on down at the Hold pushed to the forefront of her mind. He must be there! She hadn’t made the effort to get down there as she hadn’t thought much of going, other than to maybe steal R’dare or R’dal for a dance…

“R’DAL!” She shrieked, realizing that, regardless of how quickly she might be able to run, it wouldn’t be fast enough for her liking to get down to the festivities and to her brother. A dragon could make the flight in minutes, bypassing terrain, traces, and roads, and not getting nearly as out of breath as a full-pelt sprint would get her. She reached out to Edath, too, letting her giddy excitement warm her mental tone so as not to alarm her friends.

Scooping the now-empty water skin up with one hand, she dashed off toward where she knew her friends’ weyr to be, laughing and nearly skipping with sheer joy.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
R'dal dropped the bead he was about to thread onto the bracelet he was making when he thought he heard someone shriek his name. He didn't think he had done anything wrong but it momentarily had him flashing back to Katila and getting into mischief with friends and someone calling out names as they ran away.

It was Aederyn, but she's okay and not mad. She seems excited about something. Edath interrupted the memories, bringing R'dal back to the present but making him smile all the same. That was good! He hated being in trouble almost as much as he hated a friend being hurt or upset. But what had Aederyn so excited?

He found the loose bead and put it back in the bowl and met Aederyn at the door not long after. He always forgot how quick she was! "Hi! Did you get some good news?" He asked as he ushered her inside. She had been over enough times to know her way around and know she could go wherever she liked and R'dal would follow and flop down happily as he tried to make every inch of his weyr comfortable and inviting for naps and cuddles.

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

“Hi! Yes!” Aederyn tossed the water skin to the side of the door before she spun and jumped in a fit of giggles, landing roughly on a chair to sit for all of two seconds before leaping to her feet again and capturing R’dal in a hug, the force of which caused them both to spin. “My brother is here!” Her dancing and jumping settled into light bouncing on the balls of her feet, her face split in a wide smile. “He’s down at the Fort gather! I just saw his firelizard, he’s here! I haven’t seen him in months!”

The utter joy at the thought of seeing her brother again gave way to slight hesitation, and she absently brought her little finger up to chew at the nail. She hated being indebted to anyone, even for something as simple as what she was requesting. She’d run if she had to, but a ride would be far faster. “I hate to ask, but is there any chance I could get a lift down? I’ll oil Edath! Or help with cleaning! Cazan’s been teaching me some leather work, I could help keep your riding straps in good order…”

She suddenly felt very silly, and she bowed her head for a moment as she considered running again. But no, she’d already asked.”Please? I’d love for you to meet Alekse, too…”

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R’dal was still giddy from the carry over excitement and bounced a bit on the balls of his feet even as Aederyn seemed to sober up. He frowned at the various ways she offered to pay back the ride down to the Hold and was pouting by the time she all but begged him. “You know you don’t have to barter or beg for a ride, Ryn. We’re always happy to help you out.” He knew, thanks to the various holders that he befriended since coming North, that bartering was the way of the world whether it be services or marks being exchanged, but he hated when friends tried to do it for something so simple.

He hated it even more when it was clear this meant to much to her. “It’s your brother! I would have offered to take you to see him if you hadn’t asked. And of course I want to meet him as well!” His mood swung again as the excitement returned and he grabbed her hands, swinging them about before spinning her in another happy dance.

“But if you really feel like you need to do something, then you can come help me gear up Edath because I assume we’re going right now, right? Do you need to grab anything first?” He asked while already heading toward the ledge where Edath was shaking himself off from resting in the sun and stretching before their trip. He pulled the straps out and held them out for Aederyn to take. He’d shown her a while ago how to gear up Edath and let her do it any time they went out together—though he always double checked her work and always ended up praising it.

“I’ll get us there and you lead us through the crowds once there. Just don’t lose me. I’m told I get myself into trouble easily at Gathers,” he gave an embarrassed chuckle recalling all of the times F’drel had lectured him for his interactions with Lords he should be avoiding. But everyone was so nice! It was hard to tell which ones were bad.

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

“Thank you!” Grinning, she took the straps from R’dal and moved to give Edath a grateful scratch as she slung the leather straps over his shoulders, tugging them into place. She nodded at R’dal’s question, suddenly realizing how dirty her clothes were from her morning chores.

“Just a quick stop by the dorm for me to throw on something that looks halfway decent…” The tunic would have to be swapped, but the trousers could stay. She’d recently acquired a reasonable second-hand dress on trade from someone in the lower caverns that came down to her ankles…she could doff the tunic and throw on the dress, leaving the boots and trousers. This short journey wouldn’t warrant a trip between, so her thick wherhide jacket wouldn’t be necessary. As long as she wasn’t outright dirty, she considered herself fine. She was going to see her brother, after all, and he certainly didn’t care. And, she figured, if she were going to get some dancing in, which the toss dance with Alekse was an absolute must, would go much easier if she didn’t have to worry about showing the entire Hold her undergarments if her skirts flew up.

She leaned into the straps to see R’dal from under Edath’s neck, loose strands of red hair falling around her face. “And I promise I won’t lose you.” Her eyes twinkled with the fresh promise of Gather and family, and she couldn’t help grinning. R’dal had a knack for picking up on the feelings of others, and his enthusiasm at her own only served to reflect back tenfold, and she was giddy with the excitement of it.

It wasn’t long before a she was changed, and as a brief afterthought, she fitted Rudi’s new message pouch, scrawled a note, and stuffed it inside. “Go find Alekse!” She said, sending her brown aloft. Grabbing the second tiny harness that rested in a box under her cot, she raced back out to her friends and they were airborne.

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Rudi dove at him, chittering in excitement, Handsome following and throwing scolding chirps at his clutchmate.

Just barely out of his bed at Fort runner station 300, and still a bit preoccupied with his previous day of Gather, it took a moment for Alekse to register that the little beastie was wearing his message pouch. Tucking his shirt under his arm and pulling on his shoes, he stumbled out the door, waving the two creatures away from his unprotected face and neck as both seemed to think it necessary to try and perch on his shoulders, and as agile as they were, he had no intention of catching a stray talon across his nose.

Once outside, he called Rudi to land on his arm, shushing Handsome as the little thing hissed at his brother for stealing his perch. ’odd’, he thought, re-reading the simple, three word note. Mind fogged with pleasant dreams and a sad lack of klah, it took him a moment to connect the dots. Finally realizing what it meant, he pulled on his gather tunic and jogged out to the edge of the grounds where the bustle of the day was hitting its stride. Rudi and Handsome darted after, wheeling and diving in aerial acrobatics.

The note still sat on the bench outside the station: Watch for blue!

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R’dal followed the advice on where the mysterious brother would likely be and Edath brought them down in an open field close by. He was excited and a bit nervous to meet Aederyn’s brother. What if he wasn’t liked? R’dal couldn’t stand not being friends with everyone and usually ended up spending too much time on trying to figure out why and what was wrong with himself. There was also a huge fear that Alekse would blame him for taking Aederyn away since he was her Searchrider. He was glad he did! Aederyn wasn’t happy in her beloved craft anymore and seemed to be flourishing in the Weyr. But still… he took her away without even a word to her family before it happened.

When they landed, R’dal stopped Aederyn from dismounting and opened his mouth to ask the questions now plaguing his mind. Would Alekse like him? Would he be blamed? But he couldn’t form the words on his tongue, not when he saw the pure joy on his friend’s face. This meeting wasn’t about him or even for him. This was for Aederyn to see a brother she loved and missed but never would have asked R’dal to seek him out for a visit if this chance didn’t spring up on its own.

He smiled and threw his arms around her again. “I’m so happy you get to see him,” he whispered, meaning it. His own insecurities didn’t matter when a friend’s happiness was right there and needed to be protected. When he pulled back so he could unbuckle himself, R’dal saw a man that seemed pretty interested in them. That wasn’t too unusual, especially when they went to smaller holds and dragons were a rarer sight but he had a feeling this was a different case.

“Either that man over there thinks I’m very cute or he’s probably your brother,” R’dal grinned as he slid down to the ground and turned to nuzzle with Edath for the siblings to have their reunion in relative privacy for a moment. Aederyn would call him over when she was ready.

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

Tears glittered at her eyes, but she refused to let them spill over, blinking furiously as she gave her friend a reassuring squeeze. She could sense some anxiety, but couldn’t quite put her finger on it. She knew he could be nervous around new people sometimes, but there was absolutely no reason to worry about Alekse. “He’s going to love you.” She gave him a confident smile and risked small peck on her friend’s cheek before she turned and started fumbling with the straps that held her in place.

Of all of her family, Alekse was by far her favorite. Her biggest fan and confidant, always having her back and pushing her to push herself. He recognized her talent and skill, encouraging it to grow, and fought with her and for her to get her journeyman rank. Granted, he had his moments...he was far more fond of fluff and fine things than she thought made sense, and had a habit of stopping mid-run to take in a sunrise, sunset or general view if he thought it was particularly beautiful, throwing off the stride and killing the pace...and dear Faranth did he have a thing for the ladies...but those quirks really didn’t matter right now because he was here!

R’dal pointed out a tall figure and she couldn’t get off of Edath fast enough. She slid down and offered the dragon a quick scratch in thanks, and wanted to offer R’dal another smile, hug, or something, but he seemed particularly absorbed with Edath right then, so she turned back to where Alekse stood grinning, arms wide in welcome.

With a squeal of delight, Aederyn ran, covering the space between them in just a handful of strides. She leapt into his arms, knowing he wouldn’t let her fall, and somewhere in the back of her mind she was still glad she opted to keep the trousers under the dress as there was no way she looked even close to dignified right now, arms and legs wrapped around her brother as they were.

She laughed, holding him as tight as she could, just happy to have him close once more, and squealed again when he squeezed back and danced the two around in dizzy circles before settling her back down.

Not wanting to leave her friends out, she took her brother by the hand and practically dragged him to the blue dragon and his rider.

“Ali, this is Edath and R’dal!”

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Wearing a wide grin, Alekse called out to the pair as he approached. “My good man, It’s great to finally meet you!” He stretched his arm out for a handshake but used the hand to pull him in for a hug instead, slapping his back. “I have heard so much about you!” He released the blue rider and gave him a bit of a wink. “All good, I promise.”

He’d had the privilege of riding adragonback exactly twice in his lifetime, to and from Ista Island, and it had been a small green weyrling pair, the dragon just large enough to carry a passenger and both just through enough training to go between without a fuss. Edath was massive by comparison and he knew blues were some of the smaller dragons. He gave a low whistle as he studied the creature, offering a hand for scratches like Aederyn had mentioned he liked in her letters.

“You’re the pair that Searched her, right?” A flicker of panic crossed the rider’s face and Alekse quickly continued. Knowing that some folk weren’t fond of their friends and family being spirited off to the Weyrs out of nowhere, he had a pretty good idea of why R’dal might be nervous, given the circumstances that prompted his sister to run off in the first place. “Any dragon would be lucky to have her.” He beamed at the redhead, who punched him lightly in the arm in response, before ducking around the other side of the blue to retrieve a small bundle from the riding straps. “She is missed on the traces…one of the best distance runners by far, but I think that determination will serve the Weyr even better.”

“Now. I don’t know what I can do for you Edath,” he nodded to the blue before turning back to R’dal. “But I’d like to buy you a drink as thanks. I owe you one!” He offered his elbow to Aederyn and jerked his head toward the booths, smiling in mild surprise when his sister took R’dal by the arm instead, and the little group started toward the square.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R'dal had heard a lot about Alekse and knew Aederyn loved her brother but he still hadn't been prepared for exactly how amazing the man was. It all started from the hug. R'dal was a hugger and could learn a lot about a person from the way they hugged and Alekse was genuine in his. He was also friendly, well-spoken, and not mad about his sister being Searched. R'dal relaxed visibly, though he was still a bit overwhelmed by the man that he was deciding was pretty darn cool with each passing second. F'drel had messed with his mind, clearly, if he was worried about meeting the brother of a friend!

"We're all lucky to have her! She's been a great help all over the Weyr and she's such a great friend. I love having her around!" R'dal gave his big boxy grin as Aederyn took his arm and he almost skipped their way into the main area. Her excitement was infectious and R'dal's fears of minutes before were long gone as he took in the sights and oooh'd at various things that caught his eye as they passed. There would be time to browse later. The important part was getting to spend time with Alekse.

"Do you think they have hot cocoa yet?" He asked as they passed a vintner. Alekse had mentioned buying him a drink which usually meant alcohol but R'dal didn't care for it but he did love chocolate and chocolate in its liquid form was divine! He almost squealed when he caught whiff of something delicious and followed his nose, leading the siblings toward a baker that had some tarts on display and a large pot of what ended up being hot cocoa. "If Alekse is buying the drinks, I'll buy the treats if anyone wants some!"

Once that was sorted out and R'dal walked away with his hands full of goodness, he glanced around the large area again and wondered what they should do or if he should even stick around despite his earlier comment about not losing him. "What did you two want to do? I can leave you to catch up if you want." He was curious to know more about Alekse and his time on the paths but he didn't want to overstep.

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

The trio meandered through the booths, fresh cocoa and sweets in hand, when R’dal suggested leaving. Aederyn nudged him with such force that she risked spilling her cocoa. “Don’t you dare!” She said with mock severity, letting her smile show that she didn’t intend to be mean or demanding. “At least, not until I get at least one dance with you. You’ll allow that as a ‘thank you’, right? Once the harpers start up?”

She pulled the group lightly toward a sitting area with some tables, just a stone’s throw from the dance floor where harpers were beginning to tune their instruments. The entertainment would be light and easy during the day while the more intense dancing, whether soft and romantic or fast and enthusiastic, would be reserved for the evening when more people who’d had more to drink would be taking the floor. Bright, simple tunes would be better for now, whenever they actually started.

No matter. She was spending time with family and her best friend. She almost choked on her drink at that when she realized she wasn’t sure who she was actually thinking about, Ali or R’dal… Ali had been her best friend for as long as she could remember, but R’dal had certainly been there for her at the Weyr. For her, the line had been fuzzy between friends and family, as her only friends had been family, other than Rudi…with a satisfied smile behind her cup, she determined that both terms could be applied to both people. Friend and family. How close R’dal considered her to be didn’t particularly matter to the redhead. She liked him and considered him as good as part of her own. She snickered at him. “And I promise I won’t step on your toes.”

Waiting for the harpers and enjoying the food and drink, she turned to her brother, eager to hear how he’d been. “What have you been up to?”

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Alekse hid a smirk as he watched his sister tease the rider. She hadn’t been this at ease and this cheerful in a long while, and he was glad to see it, raising an eyebrow as she bumped into the young man in almost-scolding, chuckling at their antics. “Hey, I better get a turn on the floor with you, too. I didn’t teach you the toss dance for nothing!” Alekse threw a crumb of his sweet at her to push his point, which she dodged easily, one of the firelizards diving behind to catch the discarded piece. “R’dal, you are welcome to stick around as long as you like.”

He took a seat at the table and coughed out a small laugh at her question. Having barely decided on it last night…technically this morning…he still could barely believe it himself. “I, uh…I am going to go for my Mastery. Old Venan over east is rumored to be wanting to retire soon. It’s a small station, I honestly don’t even remember which station number he serves. Close to Benden, though. Not as busy as the stations around here, but the network out there is growing, like the Weyr there.”

Her eyebrows shot up and he stifled further questions as best he could. “I know, I know. I was going to be the perpetual Journeyman. Yeah, nah…” he brushed her off with a poke “Have you shown your friend the traces yet?” He turned to the blue rider. “I know there’s nothing quite like seeing the world from the back of a dragon, but they’re still pretty neat. They certainly do offer some stunning views…”

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R'dal giggled and scrunched up his nose at Aederyn as she scolded him for trying to leave and then seconds later promising she wouldn't step on his toes while dancing. "I'll stay then, only because you have guaranteed my toes will be safe. I'd hate to leave them exposed and vulnerable by leaving." He stuck his tongue out at her and then slid into the last vacant seat at their little table.

Since he only knew what Aederyn had told him about the craft, R'dal didn't have much to add to the conversation but he was listening closely to it as he ate his tart. He was a bit confused by some of the talk but he did find it odd that Aleske, so fond of running and seeing the world would want to settle in one place. Aederyn kind of did the same thing but that was to avoid being forced into a life she didn't want and she fit in well at the Weyr. Any clutch now, a dragon would claim her.

"I met Aederyn on a trace. I thought she was injured and we checked on her. But I'll get her to properly show me some of the amazing ones soon. As long as cheating to get there on Edath is okay and then we can go for a stroll." That sounded nice, honestly. There was so much to see on the planet and exploring parts that a friend knew well and wanted to show off would be fun. They could pack food and have a picnic!

"But, Alekse..." he paused, biting his lower lip as he briefly hesitated asking, "it sounds like you love the run and the views. It also sounds like a master doesn't really travel anymore so why choose that path? Are you looking to settle settle down?" He was a holder and R'dal knew how important marriage was to them, especially this particular family. Maybe Alekse was being pressured to find a wife now that they couldn't marry off Aederyn.

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

“I’d like that very much.” She said matter-of-factly. “There are so many traces that go right by or even right through clearings that Edath could land in. I think he’d like the sights, too.” Though bound to the Weyr, she felt freer than she’d ever been as a part of the Runnercraft, she would like to be on the traces again, even if only in a less-used stretch for fun stroll with a good friend. Nothing quite beat the feeling of the wind whipping around her and the ground being eaten by her stride. Well, except for maybe flying…

R’dal asked the question that she had hesitated to ask, and knowing her brother as she did, while she was excited that he was continuing with his Mastery, she didn’t think it true that’d he’d willingly just…stop… She actually found herself dreading his answer. She couldn’t help the almost betrayed feeling that crept into her gut at the idea of him settling…more than just stopping and finding a wife, but settling for anything less than what he’d been loving for his entire craft career. They’d had a sort-of…unofficial pact, that’d they’d never settle for anything less. and he’d been her partner since they day they started Running together! The idea of him not being actively out on the traces, but cuddled up like some lord with a wife in his bed and a child on his knee while he marked incoming and outgoing times on the message board, slowly dying inside, when he could be out there himself was equal parts unbelievable, disappointing, insulting, and, if she was being honest, disgusting. She’d held up her end, and he was going to stop short?

Was this because of her? Her brow furrowed as she waited. A part of her felt guilty, as she had run off to join Fort Weyr without a second thought or backward glance. Maybe it was because of her, somehow…She knew she couldn’t rightly tell him what to do or how to live, as he’d refrained from doing so with her, but she had hoped for something…different…for him.

He explained the bare-bones basics of a Master Runner, and, somewhat mollified by his explanation, she still felt that something was just…off. Eyes narrowed, she asked after he’d finished his spiel, “But there’s more than that, isn’t there? Are Mother and Father pressuring this?” Her anger flared again and she fought it by chewing her lip.

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Alekse cocked an eyebrow at the young man, and considered his sister at his side. A pang of sadness knowing her fear, and of guilt on behalf of needing to keep such a secret gnawed at his stomach. ‘Settling down’ for a crafter or holder meant marriage and marriage typically meant children, both subjects being a bit bitter for the redhead.

He thought of dragons in Flight and stories of the...events...that went with, some basic, others doubtlessly exaggerated. But that would be different compared to marrying and bringing children onto Pern as would have been her fate as a holder’s wife. The Weyr had ways of preventing pregnancy if desired, and he was grateful for that for her sake.

He knew she looked up to him. He didn’t want her to feel like she’d done wrong by choosing the trace she did, while he was choosing the more traveled, expected trace.

Eyeing the blue rider, he crafted his reply. “There’s more to Runnercraft than just running.” He offered a small smile. “There are timetables, trace building and maintenance. Weather-sense, and making calls on whether to send runners out in a given situation, as well a degree of healer training, even. To assess runners for fitness of duty and rank. Mapping...many of those maps you have, even copies in the Weyrs, were made with the help of runners. I’m sure I’m forgetting more...” he laughed somewhat. “And masters do still run their traces for many of those reasons, or if there are no other runners available. Sometimes a master is the only one at a connecting station and if the incoming runner is lame, well, the pouch has to be passed on somehow. Plus, I’ve got some ideas on how to further the craft, like ways of distance marking to improve run times, ways of tallying marks and having them available for runners at each station instead of adding precious weight to their belts…or working with Lord Holders to get runners assigned to ground crews if Thread ever does come back.” He winced and stifled an involuntary shudder. Even the thought of the silvery stuff left his cocoa tasting bitter. “Few holders have firelizards and even fewer would have the time to scrawl and pack a message if there were signs of a burrow. And as a Master I’ll be in more of a spot to make those things happen.”

He shook his head in a placating way at her suggestion. “Nooo…not at all. In fact, they’ll probably run me off the traces when they hear…No, I’ve been thinking about it for a while, actually, but it may have been egged on by a Candidate from up at Benden I wouldn’t mind keeping company with.” He finished, hiding behind his mug.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R'dal didn't like the expressions Aederyn was trying hard to contain. She seemed angry and hurt but he didn't know enough of their history to know the full reasons why. Maybe she carried some guilt for leaving which put pressure on Alekse. That then made him feel guilty as well since he helped get her to the Weyr. But it was the path she wanted to take and he didn't regret that and still believed she would Impress.

He listened to Alekse's explanation, taking it all in since he definitely didn't know what a master runner did. A lot of his reasons made sense and R'dal hoped Alekse would one day get to implement his ideas but it still didn't seem right. Things were sitting wrong and he couldn't figure out what it was. When the confession came that there was a girl involved in the plan, things started to click in place and R'dal frowned, sad for his new friend.

"That sounds horrible, Alekse," he whispered, staring at his empty glass. Normally he'd want another but the conversation was spoiling it for him. He looked up at the runner, still frowning. "I know you said you were already considering it but why would you give up so much freedom and doing what you love for someone? If they're that special to you, I hope you're special to them as well and they wouldn't want to change you but love you for who you are and what you do."

R'dal wasn't sure he was making sense or pointing out the flaws in the plan clearly and then he wondered if it mattered. He just met the man and didn't know his inner thoughts and feelings, could only base everything off of what he knew from Aederyn and now.

"If she's actually a Candidate, she has seen the wonders and joys of dragons and the freedom they bring. She could also be a dragonrider soon and not need you near by and she could be made to transfer away from your station in some circumstances." R'dal rarely disliked someone but he wasn't sure he wanted to meet this woman. She must have been hold bred and used to getting things her way and that made him sad as well.

"I couldn't imagine Edath losing his ability to fly. That freedom...that chance to go anywhere being taken away...horrible." he looked back down at his empty mug and fiddled with it, suddenly embarrassed for his outburst and judging of strangers.

"I'm sorry. I didn't have a right to say all of that."

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Alekse squinted at the rider, genuinely taken aback by his response. He might have expected this from his sister, in fact, he’d prepared for it, but not this. He knew Ryn thought of things in unique and unusual lights, and he’d counted himself lucky to be able to at least follow her processes, if not understand them. Unlike most, who shared more traditional views and, whether or not they realized it, were generally hidebound by them. But having this bold young rider voice thoughts so very Aederyn caught him massively off-guard.

He watched R’dal carefully as he explained his thoughts. As much as he wanted to defend himself, he wanted conflict to sour this time even less so. Interrupting the rider, while he was expressing opinions he clearly felt very strongly about, would not keep the peace. This was not going as anticipated. With a resigned sigh, he waited for the blue rider to finish before measuring a response.

“No, R’dal, it’s alright.” He said, ruffling a hand through his hair as if he could physically clear his head and sort his thoughts that way. “Well…I’d like to think I mean something to her and that she cares for me as I am, but only time will tell, and I’d like that time spent closer to her if I can.” He met their eyes again, and he could see how concerned they were. Despite the opposition, and, he admitted to himself that his decision was a bit quick and half-baked, as they tended to be, he found himself warmed by their want to make sure he would be okay.

“I know if she Impresses she’d be able to meet me wherever I am with her dragon, so moving wouldn’t be needed long-term. I also know she could be reassigned. As could I.” He took a moment to explain to R’dal. “Even Master Runners may change stations depending on where their particular skills are needed. Some could spend ten turns at the same station while others may move every few months..As a courtesy, Masters who are older and no longer as able, or families with young children, generally stay at the same station until the Master retires or until the children are grown. Others, with fewer attachments, may be reassigned as needed. Like how some riders might be transferred to different Weyrs.” Though trying to be simple and straightforward, he made sure he wan’t unkind in his manner. He sat back to take in both faces again. “I’m not losing my ability to fly, I’m just…taking on more and in a different Weyr?”

He offered a self-deprecating laugh. “Besides, I’ve got at least a month of Running to decide if it’s worth the trouble. It’ll take me that long to get there. And I may very well change my mind as I’m running through Telgar’s plains in the bone-chilling autumn wind…And if I do, I can send for Aederyn and you two can retrieve me, singing that ‘you told me so.’ Fair?”

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

Blindsided and a bit shocked, Aederyn simply sat, mouth open. There was far too much to process. First: him leaving the area, which ordinarily he wouldn’t do unless reassigned; second: seeking his Mastery, which he’d never taken much interest in prior, save for the odd mention of additions or tweaks that he wished he could make, and third: a girl?!

When R’dal said how awful it sounded, followed by a detailed and heartfelt explanation as to why he thought the idea was so terrible, she wanted to jump on the table and sing his praises, and might have if she hadn’t been so dumbfounded by it all. He finished up, toying with his mug, obviously abashed. She was quick to reach her hand across the table to him. “Don’t be, you’re right!” She shot her brother a look as though he had physically wounded her friend, though her own hurt factored in, too. The idea of him wanting to go off because of a girl just seemed to be such a slap in the face.

He did his best to reassure the two of them, and the way he was talking of this girl… Aederyn found herself almost wanting to laugh. Almost. The wounded feeling was still there. But…Alekse had fallen. He had fallen hard. This girl must be something else to take down the Great Ali, lover of ladies and All Things Beautiful, the man who wouldn’t engage in anything more than an amusing fling. Granted, he didn’t use women. No, he’d never been anything less than respectful, but he wasn’t one for more than a 'mutually beneficial evening’, as he’d been known to say.

While it still hurt that he was breaking away from so much of what’d he’d been, knowing that there was at least some thought behind his choice and considerations of various avenues and angles, as well as ways to keep doing what they both loved so much eased her mind some. Her expression faded from outright anger to a more reserved frown as he wound down his monologuing.

At his suggested compromise of calling for her and R’dal’s aid if need be, she shot her fist at him with a smart punch, not pulling back when it connected roughly with his arm. “You better!” She still held the uncertainly, but she at least wasn’t quite as angry now. She was glad that he told them, instead of just Running off and her finding out later…it would have been awful if she hadn’t found out about it until he was already there…she wouldn’t know where to send Rudi…The pouch! Eyes still flashing, she reached for where she’d deposited it on the ground by the table. “Well, wherever you end up, you might need this.” And pushed it at him.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

It didn't matter that they both said it was okay or that Aederyn agreed with him, R'dal felt terrible. He knew everyone came to him because he was always the happy one, the one that would cuddle while listening and then put a positive spin on it. He hated being negative around others whether it was his own mood or pointing out something so he often tried to hide it or bounce back with a smile like it didn't happen. But this bothered him.

He was still worried Alekse wouldn't be happy in the long run--he mentally laughed at his accidental pun--and he wondered how long Alekse had known this girl. It didn't sound very long if he was hoping she would like him for who he was and time would tell. He hoped it would work out, though. They were from different worlds and he saw how hard Mylorah tried to fit into the world of the lords and he worried one day she would give up her dream of Impreasing to be with them instead. She was too headstrong for that but the fear was there.

It was horrible for him to even think but maybe it would work out for Alekse if the girl never Impressed and she could live with him wherever he happened to be assigned. The different worlds would be tough but shifting them into one could work. But he felt guilty for thinking it so he didn't give it a voice.

"You know yourself best, certainly better than I do. So you know what will make and keep you happy." R'dal offered them a smile but it wasn't his usual bright and easy smile since he still felt bad and couldn't push his earlier words away.

"Would anyone like more hot cocoa or tarts? I know I do," he got to his feet, waited for any orders, and scooted off to get the items. He wasn't running away but he did want to give the siblings a few minutes alone in case they wanted to say more without someone else around.

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Grimacing as he drained his cup and the too-sweet dregs of cocoa hit his tongue, Alekse shook his head. “No, but if they have klah I’ll take a cup.” He gave R’dal a nod and a smile as he left. The man held a measure of respect in Alekse’ eyes, for expressing his opinions so openly and without holding back. So few were like that, and it was refreshing to see. He was glad Ryn had found a friend in the blue rider, even if the two of them seemed to find it necessary to gang up on him, intentionally or not.

As R’dal’s footsteps padded away behind him, he turned to inspect the small bundle. Eyebrows raised, he slowly untied the string holding it together to unfold a pouch and leather straps, and he recognized it as being a message pouch similar to Rudi’s. He grinned, whistling for Handsome, who obliged and landed lightly on the table, Rudi following and watching curiously.

She mumbled that she’d made it for him, and he reached a hand for hers and squeezed it appreciatively. Using her darker brown as a guide, as he was still in harness, he slipped the piece onto his own and adjusted it, taking in the small details she’d tried to tie in. It was plain to see that this had been a time consuming project for her, and the growth of her skills was reflected in the improvement of the decorative stitching she’d done around the edges and at the buckles. It warmed him that she had thought to include such things, even though she found little use of them, because she knew he’d like them. It had character, and would come in handy, too.

“Thank you, Ryn. This is beautiful.” He stood and circled around her chair to envelop her in a hug from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder. “And, whatever happens, know you are always loved and thought of. You’re my family first. By Blood and Bond. No trace, Weyr, or girl will ever change that.”

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

She felt like a child again, wrapping her hands up to hold onto her brother’s arms. He was right, too. They were family, chosen and by blood. And neither Fall, fog, or fire would change that. She suddenly felt very bad about having left so quickly those many months ago. He hadn’t even been in the region at the time, and she told him about her leaving the Runnercraft and joining the Weyr via a note from Rudi. What he was saying and planning to do could hardly be considered worse than that.

Chastened by the thought, Aederyn let her anger slip away. She determined that she’d keep in touch with him even more frequently, just to make sure he was alright and in good spirits, and if anything seemed amiss, she could probably convince R’dal and Edath to give her a ride to go save his sorry backside, if she didn’t have a dragon of her own by then. With misty eyes and a pursed-lipped smirk, she shrugged him off and stood, noticing that the harpers were finally finished tuning their instruments.

Making sure R’dal was at least within her line of sight, keeping on her promise not to lose him, she dragged her brother out onto the floor, practically shouting her request for the toss dance. With an eye toward her friend, she winked at him to show she still meant to make good on her earlier threat of dragging him out on the floor, too. Not missing a beat, the siblings started in on the dance, happy to have fun and show off just a bit.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R’dal had a brief moment of panic when he turned back with his new snacks and didn’t see Aederyn or Alekse at their table. Just before it truly sank in and he feared he had angered one or both of them and they stormed off, he spotted the siblings dancing. Good, they were still having fun and he hadn’t completely ruined their day. Since they were having fun and he had his treats, R’dal left them to it and returned to the table, sitting alone but happily munching on his tart and sipping his cocoa. He was content to watch them for the moment and think of ways to apologise to each again. It still felt off to him but he didn’t know the girl or even Alekse and he meant it when he said the man knew himself the best. Maybe she was just the push that was needed to follow through with something he had wanted for a while?

After a few songs and his drink was gone, R’dal felt it was time to take Aederyn up on her hopes to have a dance with him. He almost stole Alekse into one first just to tease her but he’d been told regularly that he didn’t know holders that well and R’dal didn’t want to anger or embarrass his friend’s brother by doing such a thing. He swooped in, taking Aederyn’s hand in his and gave a bow. “My dear lady, I hope I can still have a dance?” Somehow he managed to keep a straight face as he mimicked the lords but he was grinning by the time he stood straight again.

“You’ll have to lead if you want anything fancy. I’m really only good at shimmying, some shoulder dancing, and twirling in place,” he gave an example of each as he spoke it. “Dancing always seemed more fun when you didn’t know what you were doing but I’m happy to try anything for you.” It was the least he owed her for his outburst but he also trusted Aederyn to not lead him astray and as twisted up as some of the breads he had seen for sale.

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Passing his sister off to the blue rider, Alekse downed the cup of klah waiting for him at the table. He was going to need more of that; his late night/early morning run to clear his head and sort his thoughts was taking its toll on him. Laughing, and, he admitted, glad for the momentary break, he waved the two off, marveling at his sister’s seemly inexhaustible energy.

R’dal whisked Ryn off and the two bounced and bobbed to the upbeat tune. He was glad she’d found some like-minded people at the Weyr. Seeing that they appeared to be having a blast, he took the opportunity to jog back to the main Fort Station to grab the robe he’d gotten for her. The light green reminded him vaguely of the mossy traces, though the garment wasn’t nearly as vibrant, which he thought she’d appreciate. He hoped she’d like the subtle nod to her former craft, and believed she would.

A sense of bitterness toward their family touched the back of his mind. It wasn’t right of them to try and decide her life without her. He was sorry to see her leave the craft she so excelled at, but she really was better off at the Weyr than on the traces, as much has he might wish otherwise. After all, he was headed east and wouldn’t be around to help her as easily if he were needed, though he’d do his best. She seemed to have found new family to have at her back, though, which was good. Shards, if and when she Impressed, she’d be his backup.

With a small pep-talk to himself to get moving again, he jogged back toward the gather and their little table at the edge of the dance floor.

A'ryn
of Green Jenath

Date of Birth
02.09.720, 24
Height
5'8"
Eyes
Dark Blue
Build
extremely fit and lean
Hair

Threads

“Of course!” Aederyn mimicked a curtsey as best she could, stretching her skirts out to the side as she dipped before R’dal, fighting to hold back a grin and failing miserably. She laughed and tried to mirror his keen dance moves before taking his hand in hers and explaining how to lead a simple turn. “There, now you’ll have another move to add to your repertoire.” She twirled happily, her mood significantly lightened.

She noted Alekse disappearing back to the edge of the gather grounds at a quick jog toward the main Runner station not far off. Handsome didn’t leave his perch on the back of Alekse’s chair, though, so she knew he’d be back within a song or two. Another excuse to keep R’dal out on the floor, then.

For a brief moment, she could kind-of see what her brother would go on about: Enjoying the little things and appreciating beauty. There were a few little things right now to enjoy; she was dancing with a friend, enjoying time spent with family, breathing in the crisp autumn morning…and in an odd sort of way, it was kind of a pretty moment. It would be a shame to spoil it. R’dal seemed to have a grasp on the idea. She did always appreciate his often unique perspective on things.

A slightly slower song came on and she debated briefly on trying to show R’dal a basic box step but decided against it, reasoning that he was right and this was more fun just moving to the music without a pattern. She leaned on his shoulder, content.

Date of Birth
09.02.716, 29
Height
6'2"
Eyes
Dark blue
Build
Extremely fit, lean
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Bouncing to a stop at their table, he nodded to the two firelizards who greeted his return with short series chirps and whistles. He draped the robe over his sister’s chair as he scanned the floor for the pair, and finding them, smiled.

This was good. No matter what the next day, sevenday, month, or turn may bring. This moment, right here, right now, was good.

Pulling his own chair out, he turned it and stepped up to sit on the backrest, feet on the seat, to allow himself his height to watch the dance floor but still allowing himself to rest. Ryn was leaning against her friend, and the two were swaying to the light, airy music. His sister was happy. And nothing could take that away right now. He watched the two, memorizing every detail of expression and movement, and hoped to hang onto this happy moment forever. It was certainly one to hang onto.

With a small laugh, he realized that, by extension, R’dal was family now, too. Ryn clearly thought of him as such. Guess this little family reunion included more than he had expected.

“What do you think, boys?” He turned to look at the two firelizards, who trilled in response. “Same. It is good.”

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)