World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

The Bigger they Are, the Harder they Fall [Breccan]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
Six miserable days, and no sooner to a solution.

S'kef set his jaw against his pounding headache. He was in his own room in the infirmary, laying rigidly on his back while he waited on a healer to bring him his medicine. It was a troubling situation; what began as a simple fever had quickly developed into something much worse.

He'd ignored it at first. After all, he was a busy man. Like every other problem in his life, he ignored it. After several days of worsening symptoms, he'd visited the Healer Hall only to have some idiot apprentice give him something to help him sleep and the dubious advice to 'sweat it out'. Of course, it hadn't seemed like such a bad idea right away. He had no reason to think his condition was actually serious. People got fevers all the time...

Then, without warning, he couldn't stand up anymore.

Tyrrisath's nerves had been shot for the remainder of the day after that. S'kef could remember it only distantly, how he'd walked into his kitchen and been overwhelmed by a sudden surge of dizziness. Off-balance and confused, he'd clutched at his kitchen table and cringed as he felt a wave of heat rush over him, even though his skin was covered in cold sweat.

Then, he'd passed out...but not before vomiting all over his kitchen table and the front of his shirt.

Tyrrisath was a good dragon. He'd broken his own habits and called out for help, quickly rousing the attention of the weyrfolk. S'kef was safely to the infirmary in short order, but his condition hardly seemed extraordinary at first. A fever, vomiting, and fainting...could be anything, they said. Even just the heat.

Six days were spent treating his symptoms alone. He didn't feel better. In fact, he felt worse. It was hard for him to sit up in bed without getting dizzy, much less stand up and walk around. Ashamed of his condition and not wanting to be a burden on the Weyrleader, S'kef had sent a letter to D'ren requesting leave. D'ren had granted it, and even promised that S'kef would have his position returned to him when he recovered.

If he recovered. That was what the healers were saying.

S'kef was determined to make it. What troubled him was the lack of a dedicated healer to watch after him; he knew Katila was in possession of a Master, but that boy was spending a lot of his time with the ill gold weyrling Jada. That was fine with S'kef; Jada was more important than he was. But shards, would it kill them to send someone?

D'ren had told him just that morning that another skilled healer had been assigned his case. Well, where the shards was this illusive healer? Sure, there were plenty in the Weyr who outright despised the suspended Weyrsecond, especially after recent events...But this was getting ridiculous. S'kef wondered with distant amusement if they were taking their time hoping he would die. Perhaps B'jin had paid them off? Hah.

S'kef's frustration was swimming around jut below the surface, accompanied by a stubborn refusal to die. Suck it, greenriders.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Breccan was, ah, less than pleased with her new 'project.' Her return to the Weyr at the hands of S'kef had been far from pleasant, but she'd almost welcomed the confinement to her room. She wasn't in the mood to buddy-buddy with anyone, and certainly didn't want to explain herself for the hundredth time, or be subjected to lecture number one thousand. Now, though, she'd been assigned a patient, and a long-term one, if the notes on his case were any indication. He was complaining of headache, fever, dizziness, and had vomited at least once. Nothing she thought could possibly that difficult to treat, and yet he was still in the Infirmary. Did the Healers here have nothing for a bad case of the flu?

She had packed a bag, preferring to use her own plants whenever possible. She could not be sure of someone else's methods, and the way a plant was dried often affected its potency. She firmly believed that less was more, and saw no point in dosing someone with large amounts of an ineffective medicine when a more potent one could be used with some small alterations to technique. Packing the obvious culprits for the treatment of various fevers, she added a few others, some with anti-nausea properties. Dizziness she was less sure of, but she knew gingko, chamomile and ginger could all help, and chamomile and ginger would treat the nausea as well. Finally she declared herself satisfied, tied the bag closed, and walked to the Hall.

She met the eyes of the first Healer she saw squarely, daring him to make any comment about her disappearance. He naturally chose not to, but merely pointed the way to a small private room, neatly curtained off. She gave him a small smile to reward his courtesy, and then pulled back the curtain.

No. No way.

S'kef was there, sweating, jaw clenched, his body tense with pain. For a moment, she felt a sweet vengeance pull a grin out of her before the reality of the situation set in. There was a fitting sort of irony, she supposed, in the man who'd all but dragged her by her hair back to the Weyr now serving as her patient. She knew she could make his convalescence long and intensely unpleasant, using plants with unfortunate side-effects rather than their more innocuous counterparts. She could even kill the man, and she spent a moment dwelling on the idea. No one liked him. She knew he'd beaten B'jin, the greenrider Talian thought so much of, and was generally considered unpleasant. She'd experienced some of that herself, and certainly had no love for the man. Would anyone really miss him if he were dead?

Well, Tyrrisath would. If she killed the man, the Brown would kill himself for love of him. That sort of devotion was beyond her powers of imagination, but the thought itself meant she wouldn't be killing his rider. Not intentionally, anyway, she reflected, looking at the man on the bed. This looked much more serious than the flu she'd suspected.

"They do say what goes around comes around," she said sweetly, stepping into his room and tugging the curtain closed. She made a show of placing her knapsack onto a chair and fussing around it, lifting up small containers of carefully-prepared herbs and herbal blends. "Interesting, isn't it, that your life is in my hands?" she said mock-thoughtfully, her tone still cloyingly sweet, "Of course, I'll do my best job."

She smiled at him. Just because she'd decided not to kill him didn't mean he had to know that.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

S'kef rolled his head to the side as he heard someone else enter the room. He opened one sharp eye to inspect his caretaker, and was overcome with a brief stab of surprise when he realized just who it was. He considered laughing, but the sound caught in his throat and came forth as a cough instead, dampened by both his weak condition and perhaps the faintest bit of self-restraint.

Breccan. Smart girl. At least he hoped so, for both of their sakes.

He remembered her well. She'd been less than pleased at his appearance in the jungle that day, but at least she was less crazy than some of them were. She had a good reputation, so in a way he supposed he was glad. Of course, she was also a woman. Women were emotional and prone to poor decisions in stressful situations, but then again, that young Master was supposedly a headcase. So which was truly the better option?

Either way, S'kef still had no plans of dying.

"Hello," he said lightly, watching her movements with cautious interest. Her words came so sweetly and easily. He smiled back at her, biting back at his pain. His own expression was equally false.

"It is in your hands, isn't it?" he said softly. He closed his eyes and relaxed against his pillow. "I suppose it's a good thing that a girl so clever and ambitious as you wouldn't dare consider risking her life on a petty act of vengeance," he said dismissively. He added a mild chuckle on the end, brightly sincere in comparison to the rest of his words.

He wiped some sweat from his forehead. "So what do you think is wrong with me?" he asked, sounding far less interested than he actually was. Outside, he could feel Tyrrisath's presence. The dragon kept his consciousness close to that of his rider, ever vigilant of his rider's condition. The brown drifted into S'kef's mind and peeked out through his rider's eyes, inspecting the girl wordlessly. S'kef could feel a faint pulse of warning from the dragon. Tyrrisath didn't trust Breccan. Not by a long shot.

Noted

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Breccan tilted her head unconsciously to one side, her mask of sweetness firmly in place despite her turmoil. Would they really kill her if he died on her watch? She could certainly make it look like a result of his illness. There were plenty of plants that would increase or cause a fever, and a few degrees higher would mean he wouldn't be telling anyone anything that made sense. He'd die raving. A warning nudge told her her usually lazy conscience had come in to work today. No matter how she felt personally, S'kef was the Weyrsecond, and good at his job. He was too important to kill.

Her smile shaded towards crooked. This was so like the incident with Jada that had sparked her departure. She'd have been rather pleased to see the hope of the Weyr die of infection -really, it was what she got after ignoring those symptoms for so long- but Jada was too important to kill. And, of course, that time there had been too many witnesses. The problem with poisoning someone was that they often died quite dramatically.

"S'kef," she said, shaking her head like an auntie reprimanding a silly toddler, "Vengeance? I hadn't dreamed of it." She couldn't imagine why he was laughing, when he'd admitted that she really did hold all the power in this situation. Perhaps he didn't think she had it in her...but that was a dangerous thought. That was the kind of thought that made her do things just to prove that she could, but killing him was wrong. Rare though it was for Breccan to bow to morality that wasn't precisely her own personal code, she wouldn't do it.

"I thought flu at first, and incompetence keeping you on your sickbed," she answered, her tone businesslike now, "But unless this is a new varietal I haven't seen up North, I suspect it's not the flu. It's not much like anything I've seen before." It didn't trouble her to make that admission, though typically she disliked to admit when she didn't know something. If she wasn't going to kill him, well, perhaps she could make him worry.

"I know they've been treating your symptoms, and I will too, to try and make you more comfortable," she said brusquely, her expression eloquently speaking of how little she wanted to make him comfortable, "The fever makes me suspect infection, so I'll dose you with antibiotics. I'd also like to know if you've any bug bites or the like, anything that seems swollen or painful or unusual. That could cause a strong reaction if you're allergic, especially, but a poisonous bite alone could bring on your symptoms. The more you can tell me about how you feel, the more effective my help will be."

She rummaged through her bag with purpose this time, setting aside verbena for its antibacterial and analgesic properties, citron to act as an additional antibiotic and to counteract nausea, willow bark to treat his headache, and borage for its generally good effect on the body. After a debate with herself, she added coriander, blackberries, and meadowsweet, partially for their additional helpful properties, but primarily to improve the taste. Faranth, she was so nice.

She ducked out briefly to request hot water, and soon had the dried herbs steeping in a small, tight-woven net. "If the pain's very bad, I can add a drop of fellis," she offered, "Some of my choices will help, but nothing's quite so good as fellis." There was tension all over his body, and she could only imagine it was because he hurt. Or perhaps rigor? Shards, she hoped not.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Her little reprimand was cute. That was the best word he had for it, anyhow. He wasn't completely sure what motivated Breccan, but she seemed to fall into a category he was all too familiar with: women who thought being a coy bitch made them clever. He tolerated it though, smiling good-naturedly as if dismissing his own words (and hers) as a joke. "Of course you haven't."

And he didn't know for a fact that she was having such thoughts about him. He just tended to assume everyone did. Of course, Tyrrisath's observations weren't without merit. The girl's ominous first words aside, S'kef knew she had plenty of reason to take issue with him. Plenty more reasons not to throw her life away, though. He let it go, though he would do as his dragon recommended and keep an eye on her. He was pretty confident Breccan valued her own hide too much to try anything stupid.

"I figured it the flu myself," he said, adjusting his position slightly and letting out the softest grunt of discomfort. He wasn't beyond displaying discomfort to others, but he preferred to remain stoic. He was in an awful lot of pain, though. "At first, anyhow."

"When I first came in, I mentioned these scratches I have on my leg to the apprentice that saw me," he commented. He nodded towards his left leg. He'd torn his calf on some thorns while retrieving the first errant healer girl. "I was snagged one some thorns in the jungle, but I had them cleaned up that evening. They got a little red and puffy, but I've had far worse," he said, trying to recall the specifics of the event. He wondered bitterly if the apprentice had even written about the scratches in his file. Not that it seemed important at the time. He'd thought nothing of it himself, but Breccan had a point - absolutely anything could be important.

He exhaled a bit. "I'll pass on the fellis," he remarked. "I prefer to stay alert." That habit had served him well over the years. "Otherwise, go for whatever you think will work. I'm no healer, so you know better than I do."

He closed his eyes again, no longer able to fend away the pounding headache lurking just behind his eyes. He groaned a little bit and adjusted himself again, increasingly aggravated by the wet spot on the bed. Wait, wet spot? Had he really been sweating that much?

The brownrider turned his head to one side and grimaced in disgust. He was going to melt at this rate. His clothes were damp and he was feeling...dry. Dehydrated?

"I would like some water, though," he said lowly, not exactly a demand, but the sort of firm suggestion he was used to issuing - though perhaps lacking a little bit of it's normal bite.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)