World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Oh, He's an Easy 'Seven'!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
I'shan was a mess.

Ilveriath's warm presence pillowed against I'shan's restless consciousness as the pair reached the healer hall. I'shan dismounted and paused to stroke Ilveriath's neck for a few long seconds, leaning sleepily into the beast.

Farlint Ilveriath said, calling out to the injured boy while his rider sought comfort, We have arrived to visit you. I'shan has been unwell these past sevendays, but he has missed you greatly. The healers had been adamant about 'no visitors' for poor Farlint since his terrible leg break, but Ilveriath had occasionally spoken to the young man in an effort to console him.

Ilveriath was fond of Farlint and wished to see him feeling better, but even the gentle blue had been distracted from the poor candidate's side; I'shan's troubles with N'gelt had kept the emotionally fragile bluerider in fits, not to mention often drunk. Looking after I'shan was a full time job. Now, though, the pair had finally received permission to pay a real visit. Ilveriath could not go inside, but he could watch through I'shan's weary eyes just as well.

I'shan rubbed his eyes and peeled away from his dragon. Ilveriath crooned a farewell as I'shan moved inside, clutching a bottle of northern wine as he went. He'd managed to get it soon after the hatching and had wanted to take it to Far as a gift, but he hadn't been given the chance! Shards, it was a miracle he hadn't drank it himself by this point. He'd drank everything else...

I'shan moved lethargically through the hallway, searching for Farlint's room. The bluerider was depressed and badly hung over, but eagerness to see his friend - little brother - still stirred within him. This was, after all, his fault as Farlint's searchrider. There was also a tinge of selfishness as well. I'shan needed someone to talk to, badly! R'nd was preoccupied with his new boyfriend, which of course meant B'jin was, too...

By the time I'shan found Farlint, he'd managed to wake himself up a little bit. In spite of all his recent troubled, I'shan managed a smile. "Farlint...Shells, are you okay?" he asked, voice tender and quivering as he stepped into the room. He held the bottle of wine out.

"This is for you..."

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Farlint was going absolutely stir-crazy.

He had flirted with almost every single healer- including the males, to make it a full set- and he had counted every plank of wood in the ceiling above him. He'd counted the leaves on the perky little plant that one of the female Candidates had brought him as a get well present, which he hadn't been able to thank her for since he hadn't been allowed to see her. He'd counted his sharding stitches, and he'd even gotten used to the taste of Fellis. He knew what time it was by which Healers were on duty, and he knew how many steps away the small bedpan that he'd been forced to mess in at first lay from the bed.

How long had it been since the Hatching? That was what eluded him, with day in and day out, drugged, dreamless sleep and meals that came based on when he was actually hungry, not on a schedule. He missed the taste of sweet, sweet wine on his tongue, laughter in his ears, and hands that weren't the bland stroke of a bored healer. He was tired of trying to remember if he'd vomited on this healer or that one yet.

A mind pressed against his own, a familiar touch, and he heard Ilveriath's familiar voice. Eagerly, Farlint shoved up in his bed, raking fingers through his messy hair. He didn't know if they would let I'shan through or not, but he could hope, and for his 'brother' to see him looking such a mess was a downright shame. A major break in his leg was no reason for him to look slovenly. How could he be expected to get a date if he looked a mess? Maybe I'shan would help him take a real shower, and not- nah. He was coming to not mind the sponge baths. Especially that one with the talented hands. Heh. He was an incorrigible pervert, after all. Not something he could help, though he'd tried. (Not very hard.)

He could hear footsteps, unfamiliar and yet oddly so. A visitor! For him? He glanced around, shoved the cover over his mauled leg so as to hid it from view, and was waiting when the door opened to reveal a familiar, if strangely haggard, face. "I'shan!" He couldn't help the pure jubilation. "You look like shit. Sit down." he patted the bed next to his uninjured leg, grinning at his brother-figure with genuine affection. Especially when I'shan handed him the wine. Farlint's breath caught, and he glanced up at the rider. "For me? Really?" That was a nice bottle of- Benden. A lump rose in his throat, and Far peered at the seal, looking for a maker's mark. Chances were slim, really, but his da always had made the best wine. A bottle of his father's wine might make the whole leg-break worth it.

Might.

"Spill." Farlint said finally, putting aside his hunt fr the maker's mark until later. "I want to hear everything that's gone down while I've been indisposed."

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Ilveriath perched neatly outside. He was vaguely aware of Tyrrisath laying close by, body pressed lightly against the wall nearest his bonded, who lay in fitful illness and some said would not survive. The blue ignored his brown cousin, finding Tyrrisath and his cruel bonded ever distasteful, though there was a certain shared gloominess between them. Ilveriath could not even find it in him to tease the brown.

He instead focused on I'shan. The bluerider was tired and stricken with both guilt and loneliness, though both dissipated a bit at the sight of Far. Sure, it was pitiful to see him bedridden, but it was just so good to see his face, to hear the smile in his voice. I'shan figured Far could use it, and he sharding well knew that he could use it, too.

I'shan approached and seated himself. He smiled a bit. "I'm glad you like it," he said softly. Ilveriath's mind reached out to Farlint's, touching it again in gentle reassurance. The blue didn't speak, but he didn't imagine he had to. Farlint was in such desperate need of company, and so was I'shan...Ilveriath couldn't approve more.

"Oh..." I'shan said, suddenly pouting. He hadn't planned to come in and whine about N'gelt, but as soon as Farlint asked he already felt the urge. He bit his lip and looked around, avoiding eye contact. "Well, Jada had to have surgery a couple sevendays ago..." he murmured. "Something about infected cuts and all that. And the Weyrsecond stepped down..." He was just rattling off news and gossip, hoping it would distract them both from the real juicy bit.

"S'kef is really quite sick. The healers say he might die!"

He cleared his throat. "Have YOU been okay? Have the healers looked after you well?"

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"It's wonderful." Far reassured his friend, beaming. "You're the best." He meant it, too. The two of them were his first visitors in a long while, and he knew, in part, it was probably guilt; I'shan had Stolen him, after all, and a dragonet had almost killed him. But more than guilt over Farlint's current situation, it was friendship- and love. But brotherly love, not romantic. Not for I'shan. He was too... bro. And Ilveriath was there too, even if he couldn't fit inside.

Far knew he'd lost some weight along with everything else. Between the broken leg, the fact he'd had to be sutured and sewn, and drugged. The infection, the fever, the fear he'd lose his leg, the long hours Talian had put into him? He looked a lot more drawn than he had before that fateful night in Late Autumn. He knew his tanned skin had a pallor to it that a month inside tended to do to a man.

He also knew that he hadn't had a sip of sharding booze since the night before he'd- Yeah, it was time. "Jada?" Oh! The busty one. "She Impressed Gold, right? Why did she need surgery?" And why was he out of the loop?! Was she still here? Was she being denied company as well? "Don't tell me one of those bloodthirsty little girls tried to kill her already!" What he remembered of the girl, she was meek enough. It was entirely possible that she'd been found wanting. "And good. I hop S'kef dies with a rotten stick shoved up his ass."

He hadn't forgotten the way the man had whipped B'jin, nor the way he'd looked at I'shan. Maybe in the hospital, Far would be able to smother that sharding Brownrider with a pillow. It would be a mercy, after all.

"I've been fine. I'm working on making this place my hut. I have lovely women to serve my every whim," and a masterhealer with a suspiciously pretty face, "And I don't have to worry about chores." He pulled back up the bottle of wine, struggling briefly with the bottle before realizing he stood not a chance of getting it open. "Help a brother out. Lets have a drink, and stay up all night talking."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

I'shan pouted a little as he thought of Jada. "She got cut up at the hatching, but never got it checked on, so it got infected and kind of...rotten." His stomach did a neat little flip as he thought about it. He'd only casually glanced in at the carnage, but it had been quite dramatic from even his modest position.

"She's expected to recover, though. At least that's what the gossip says. That master healer has been taking care of her," he said. He smiled a little bit, a conspiratorial spark coming to his face. For those brief seconds, he looked like his usual old self, not the drunk wreck his conflict with N'gelt had turned him in to. "He's a cutey!" he said, unaware of Farlint's own thought on the subject.

I'shan's face quickly fell again as he realized that sort of thinking, that sort of behavior, had led to his current situation. He cringed a little bit and awkwardly wrapped his arms around himself, trying to banish N'gelt from his mind for the time being.

It wasn't exactly working.

"I'm glad they're at least taking good care of you," he said delicately, eyes widening emphatically as he turned his attention back to Farlint. I'shan was visibly shaken, much different from his usual pining-for-attention complaints. Ilveriath's warm reassurances filled the little bluerider, but they did little to help.

Do not upset Farlint Ilveriath advised gently.

Why would I do that?

You are sulking

"I am not!" I'shan squeaked aloud, jumping comically in his seat as he did so. Sleepless and hung over, he blinked a few times as he realized exactly what he'd just done. He decided to puff up in his seat, as if he'd done nothing wrong.

"Anyhow!" he said, valiantly taking the wine bottle from Farlint and rising to his feet. "I'll get this open and we can have some drinks, yes?" More alcohol sounded wonderful and terrible. Mostly wonderful.

I'shan would be content to talk for hours. He just might do that...

I'll bring Tal in on the next one!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"So we have a dirty little half-rotted urchin for a goldrider?" Far's nose wrinkled. He remembered Jada. She had nice... assets. A little vapid, actually, but sweet. He especially remembered her ass...ets. It shamed him to realize he remembered so little about the girl. She'd won the genetic lottery as far as dragons seemed to go- didn't have to change her name, didn't have to teach her dragon to flame, got to boss almost all of the other little wherries to market and back... and she couldn't even find the self preservation to go to the Healers? That poor little dragonet. But no; Farlint was being ungracious. There were surely some extenuating circumstances! There had to be. No one could be that much of a scatterbrained idiot with the Hope of Pern (insert Farlint's eyeroll here) on the line!

Still, there were other things to be thought of. "It's good she's going to be fine." It would have sucked for the whole Weyr if they lost the little creature they'd waited so many turns for. None of the dragons were young, depending on how you considered it. 18 turns was a long time, even in the lives of a dragon and rider. Mention of the master healer made Farlint perk up. Just a little, not much. Talian. He was coming to know the young man fairly well. Sweet, if quiet. Almost pretty, though Far would never say that to anyone's face. (Far knew how terrible it was for a man to be pretty.) For a moment, I'shan's face brightened, and Far was happy to see it- he wanted to know what was dragging his friend down, but he didn't know. He could ask Ilveriath, but if there was one thing that the blue dragon was, it was loyal. And even Far may not be able to get the truth out of the dragon is I'shan wasn't ready to spill.

"Pretty nurses." Farlint said cheerfully, hiding his own particular... confusion... well. One thing he could do was keep it light. The same old same old. He didn't know what his brother needed right now, but the knowledge would come, Far was sure. "Gorgeous, actually." Pretty eyes. Nicely shaped mouths. "Nice assets." Silvery eyes were amused, with a touch of wryness that might tell a familiar friend that he was thinking something more than what he was saying. But who could tell? Not Ilveriath, and Farlint hadn't been lucky enough to walk away- hah, walk- with a bonded.

"You are not what?" he asked, surprised by I'shan's outburst. The innocent act came too late, sorry bro. "Come on. Open the booze, and fess up. I want gossip, Shel. More than that, I want a good stiff drink. I don't need a glass. We can share. If you get a glass, Tal- someone might catch us."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"No glass?" I'shan asked, pausing in confusion before offering a nod. "All right, that is fair enough," he said. He uncorked the bottle and started to take a sip before Ilveriath ever-so-subtly reminded him that the bottle was meant as a gift to Farlint, not himself.

I'shan produced an audible, terribly nervous laugh before handing it to Farlint. "I'm sorry," the bluerider said sincerely, flopping back in his bedside chair and leaning forward onto the palm of one hand. "I don't mean to be so un-fun. It's just that I've been having problems with N'gelt."

He felt bad, talking about himself when Farlint was in such a position. He was probably desperate for anything to talk about, though, and probably lonely for his usual stream of gossip and excitement. Inevitably, no matter how Farlint felt, it still came; I'shan pouted and stated to slowly recount the past few sevendays, starting with what he'd thought to be an innocent dance with B'jin at the hatching feast.

By the time he finished, he was full on sulking again. "Far! I don't know what to do!" he whined. He wasn't aware of the healer who'd just entered the room, watching him tactically and wielding what looked like numbweed.

"Excuse me," the young man said delicately, "But it's time for Farlint's bath. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Don't need one." Far confirmed, positively gleeful at the thought of taking a sip of that sweet, sweet liquor. He'd made his last bit of wine last far too long; the nectar called to him with the sweet voice of a willing partner, the scent of nostalgia, the lips of- Yes. Farlint was romanticizing alcohol. It had been a little longer for him than he had liked, and sometimes he preferred getting drunk to getting laid. When he was injured was one of those times. The sound of the cork coming out of the bottle was enthralling, the sweet little hiss.

And then Farlint watched as I'shan lifted his sweet beloved towards greedy lips.

Nooooooooooo!

but his cry was silent, the mahogany-haired man patiently waiting for his brother to decide what to do. As though he sensed Far's distress at almost having to watch another man take his lover away, I'shan paused, laughed, and passed the bottle to Farlint- who took it greedily, and ravaged the red seductress. Delicious little tease. He passed the bottle back to I'shan once he had drunk deep of the Benden wine's willing charms, and opened his ears to the bluerider's trauma.

Oh, Shel, you poor little wherry. That was what one got for dating a man who thinks everything the sunlight touches belongs to him. "Of course you know what to do." Farlint grinned, absolute faith in I'shan being able to turn this around. He glanced past the other man, to a familiar figure that made him struggle up, to sit a little straighter. Not that sitting up straighter would help, when seeing a person who probably knew more about your bodily functions than you did. And had definitely seen you in more compromising positions than-

It was Tal- ian. Talian.

"I took a bath last month." he informed the Healer, who would know for a fact Farlint had insisted on help with a bath just the day before, and wooed one of those pretty nurses into helping him wash his hair- twice. "I'm good. Don't take away my company!"

Hopefully, his deathgrip on the bottle would go unnoticed.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

I'shan didn't have time to protest. He was promptly driven from the room at scalpel-point, though not without great protest. Put simply, Talian was in no mood for it. He was tired after a long day, and bathing bedridden patients was no normally on his to-do list. He didn't mind doing it, but he didn't appreciate what exactly had put him to this point. The girls were either unwilling to go near Farlint, or entirely too eager. Too eager to the point that the 'wherry' (as B'jin would come to call her) wouldn't allow them near the bedridden man.

So there was Tal, trying to keep his mind off of other things by dutifully picking up whatever work wasn't already being done. If that meant bathing Farlint, fine. He could have done without running the bluerider out, though. He felt bad about it, since the two seemed to have been enjoying their chat. Shards, Tal even felt a bit threatened by the bluerider, hence his...enthusiastic dismissal.

Okay, so it wasn't exactly scalpel point. It was close, though.

Tal sighed and scratched the back of his head. "So, how are you feeling today, Farlint?" he asked, deciding to skip the topic of the bluerider all together. The healer promptly slunk out into the hallway to retrieve a cart with a large basin of water and some cloths. Poor Far wasn't due for another difficult real bath for another sevenday. It would be a spongebath for him, though Tal expected some form of protest. Thus far, Farlint insisted on real baths as often as possible...no matter how much of a chore it would be.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

I'shan may not have had time to protest his swift removal from farlint's sickroom, but the other man was ready for it. "Shel! No! Tal, you can't do this to me! He's my brother, my kindred spirit, my- company! Shel, come back in the win-" the door shut with a finality that Far was getting very used to. Leaving him along in a room with the Masterhealer- Master Healer? He wasn't the Master of his craft, but he was when it came to Katila. And his very nice hands. Not that Farlint had much of a complaint of spending time with the MasterHealer. Or had much use for his hands.

It was strange to think about another man's hands, actually, the more he dwelled on the matter. Talian was a nice man, however, and not hard on the eyes for all that he lacked certain body parts that Farlint did so admire. It was nice to spend time with an attractive person who didn't look at Far and make some crack about his androgyny, or his nice cheekbones, or something else to make steely blue eyes narrow and his nose wrinkle. It was nice (every once in a while) to have someone help him who would let him wash his own junk. Not that Far had any problems with the women doing, but it was cruel to tease a man who couldn't do anything about it.

"I'm feeling good," Far said cautiously, fingers wrapped guiltily around the bottle of Benden. If he lifted it, would Tal take it away? If he dropped it, would it break? It wasn't stoppered. It could spill. Waste the Benden? A greater shame even than being denied libation. "Sponges, though? What about washing my hair! It'll get gooky."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian frowned sadly at Farlint. "Sorry," he said, wondering what part of his intrusion had set the other man so far on edge. Tal couldn't help but notice how tightly Farlint was clutching that wine bottle. The healer took a timid step forward and help one hand out. "Don't worry, I'll just put it on this shelf over here so it won't get broken," he assured the man. While doing so, Tal took a quick glance over his shoulder, hoping that doubtlessly-murderous searchrider (!) wouldn't return.

Sharding lowlife, probably giving poor Farlint a hard time just like he was always doing to Erisi. At least the idea that he was doing a noble thing and protecting Farlint from his captor made driving the man out a little bit easier. Tal could still feel his heart fluttering from the near-deadly encounter!

Tal wasn't his professional self today, that was for sure. He was a mender of bones and a sewer of skin, not a nurse. This was strange territory for sure. He hesitantly took the wine and placed it safely on a shelf before giving Farlint a nervous over-the-shoulder glance. "Your hair? You washed it yesterday," he said meekly. He wasn't wild about the idea of going through all that trouble, but Farlint was still his patient. His comfort was of the utmost importance.

The healer wrung his hands while waiting for a response. "I am glad you're feeling better, though. Your bone was healing nicely at last checkup, though I may give it another glance over today," he said softly. He smiled, a gentle healer's smile that he tended to save exclusively for his patients.

Well, and Fiora. And Eri. And B'jin. People who deserved it and whatnot.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

It was a real shame that Talian had driven Shel away before far could introduce them. Alas, it seemed no one could face the good Healer on his home turf. As the man held out his hand, Far relented, passing the precious bottle over to the Master. "It's been a long time since I've had a good drink." he reminded Talian anxiously, pushing himself up in bed when both of his hands were free. Arms were getting stronger, that was good, but Farlint was starting to curse his lack of mobility. Then again, having some important leg bones on the outside of his skin gave the impression that this wouldn't be the quickest of recoveries.

He could have been dead. He owed this other man- unassuming, quiet guy- his life. The least that Far could give him in return was the respect that was his due.

He met the Master Healer's eyes and gave him a broad grin and a thumbs up. "I did get it washed yesterday, but look at it, Tal! It could very easily get disgusting and sticky, and I'm bedridden. Hardly at my best. I need to be able to maintain a little of my pride and dignity, don't I?" Not that the mass of hair was his pride, or his dignity, but it helped him maintain the illusion that he could be up and about any day. The nurses knew better, Talian knew better, and most of the people who had cared to come and visit with the Beastcrafter knew better... but illusions helped.

"Feel free to check me out," he said thoughtlessly, waving at his leg. "I've got all day." It was a friendly grin, with the only bitterness in his tone not directed at Talian. Nor would it be directed at Hoth, if he or his Chosen had cared to check on the people the bronze dragonet had cut in his unbonded stumbling. His bitterness was at himself, for being too weak to keep standing. Maybe he could have Impressed a dragon. Maybe he could have gained a life partner if he had been able to stay strong.

He smiled back at Talian, eyes dark with a pain that wasn't only physical, eyes drifting to the other man's slender hands. Well cared for. Elegant. Hands that had spared Far's life, and may yet give him another chance at being a dragonrider.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"You've been recovering well," Tal reminded the other young man.  He declicatly peeled the sheets back and had a quick look at Farlint's leg. It was impossible to tell exactly how far along it was at a mere glance, but it still appeared sound. "Have you had any aches or unexplained discomfort? Any fevers?"  He'd asked the same question the day before, but it never hurt to be thorough. Poor Farlint! It must have been so uncomfortable to be confined to his bed, his future so uncertain in the face of such a nasty wound.

Farlint hadn't explicitly said anything, but Tal could smell self-loathing from a mile away. While he didn't understand Far's desire to be a dragonrider, the healer did suspect that his fellow northerner was worried about his future chances. Tal could gladly trade his leg for a permanent pass from the sands, but a healer was devoted to his patients, not to his own agenda. If Far wanted to be a dragonrider, Tal would do what he could to help.

He fell quiet for a moment as he went over Far's condition in his mind. "You really have been strengthening," he commented lightly. Enough to fuss endlessly at the nurses he thought with a tinge of amusement. He hated to admit it, but he did find Farlint awfully charming. It was hard not to, especially now that Erisi had opened the floodgates concerning male partners. Tal often found himself thinking about it. The thought had never even occurred to him before, but after his adventure with Eri, it felt...natural.

He snapped himself out of his thoughts. "I'm sorry," he whispered, realizing he'd been staring off into space for a couple minutes now. It was so hard to keep his mind from wandering these days. They just drug on and on, monotonous and unfulfilling. He was just...there.

He shook his head to bring himself back to his senses. "All right, about that bath..." What had Farlint just been saying? Something about his hair getting sticky? Tal frowned a little and looked at his modest basin of water and sponges.

Was Farlint really going to push the issue?

"No arguing," Tal said, feeling suddenly flustered. Why? He had no idea.He reached for the water and dunked the first sponge in.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Far was tempted to strike a pose for his Healer, but he refrained from being quite that childish, instead choosing to stare fixedly at the ceiling instead of looking down at what he imagined was a ruin of his leg. "All my discomfort is thoroughly explained." he said with a certain level of cheeriness. "No fevers, but I do have to complain that I am very cold at night. Your nurses keep rejecting me." he couldn't help but look sad at that. (The second part was the same answer he'd given the day before; His ache, however, had been in his heart.)

It was a little depressing to farlint that his face was so very readable. He could imagine that he saw confused pity dance lightly over the healer's face, followed by a dogged determination that warmed the cockles of the Beastcrafter's drunken heart. "yeah," Farlint agreed with the Healer rather than give in to his self pity. He was better than that, and there was something about having heard the whispers, then seeing him standing straight and tall in his chosen profession that shamed the man.

In truth, Far had never expected this to happen. He'd always fallen and scraped here and there, of course, but he'd never fallen so hard and been so thoroughly unable to get back up. But this had been a harsh reality check in comparison to his dreams of being a rider. He'd just assumed he'd succeed, that he'd be what he wanted to be, and life would go on with a little hiccup the way it always had.

And then he'd seen his leg bone on the wrong side of his skin.

"Why are you sorry?" Far asked, glancing up at a man he almost envied. To love what he was doing so much that he didn't care if everything he'd given up in the North, albeit unwillingly, came to a messy, unfulfilled end? No... Far wasn't that strong, or unselfish.

The sound of water splashing reminded Far of something more important than his internal melodrama however: Far remembered his vanity. "I won't argue." Far assured the healer, undoing his hair.

It went unspoken, Far was sure, that all Tal had to do was agreeeeeee.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"I'm sorry because I spaced out," Talian clarified. "I-" Wait, that was another apology. The healed paused, confounded by his  inability to think of anything else to say. He just shook his head and laughed.

"Sorry," he muttered a few seconds later as he realized he'd fallen totally silent. Oh, wait...

He sighed suddenly. He just couldn't keep it together today. One moment he was thinking about one problem, then the next, then Erisi, then Faranth knew what else! He looked apologetically at Far, cheeks tinged with the faintest blush. And here I am getting flustered at my own patients he scolded himself. How unprofessional! Cruel, even. Farlint was undoubtedly only attracted to women, and at the moment he was totally dependent on Talian for care. To act on anything, or even say anything would be a breach of trust. Talian couldn't bring himself to even consider taking advantage of a patient like that.

Did Far realize just how inviting he was sometimes? Was it just how he conducted himself? Or was he trying to be alluring? Tal never wanted to assume the second of anyone. That led to the worst kinds of misunderstandings, so he just reminded himself of his duty and that was that.

He could still be fond of Farlint, though. Talian offered the man an uneasy but still pleasant smile before he went to work. Tal's touch was as gentle and precise in this task as any other, but he was careful to keep his expression blank and generally stay on his best behavior.  He appeared rigid as a result, but at least he upheld his honor.

"...Feel better?" Tal asked, looking at Far and smiling slowly. It was a lukewarm smile, but sincere. Tal wrung the sponge in his hands and awaited a response, almost too eagerly.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"You don't need to be sorry." Far assured the Healer. It was kind of silly, to be reassuring the Healer that it was okay if he... His mouth tightened, and his eyes found the healer's hands again. Swift and sure, "They're such nice hands." he mused aloud, unthinking. "Some of the nurses are just so brisk, they don't even think about it." He swallowed, almost glancing nervously away from the man next to him. Their interactions always made him uncomfortable, in some ways. There was something niggling, just out of reach, aside from his fondness for the Healer. He couldn't decipher what it was., it was too amorphous and alien.

Talian's sigh made him jump a bit, inadvertently, and Farlint didn't even notice that he didn't wince when his leg siezed and tensed under the Master Healer's hand. Why was Talian flushed? Was he ill? Just what the Weyr needed- Talian falling ill. Not that there was no one to replace him briefly, but- Shards! His mind whirled, and he didn't even know what he was thinking anymore. Farlint could feel his hands starting to tremble, and said finally "I guess I'll give you a pass on washing my hair just this once."

It was the least he could do, and it would certainly help him to settle. "I feel much better Talian." He said the other man's name hesitantly, staring at the slender hands blankly. "Thank you."

Sorry it is short.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)