World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Manly Men And How To Be One [Open] [M]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Quenym needed to do laundry, partially at Casa's insistence because they had ended up painting the rocks in his room and she hadn't liked the piles of clothes she had seen sitting around, so he had gathered up what he could and went to the river. That way he could take a day off and be alone for a bit.

He was thirteen years old, and Casa was thirteen, and she was olde than him, and that absolutely stymied him. She was going to be a woman, a full-grown, man-loving woman, before he was a man! Or was she? He knew the physical aspects of puberty pretty well... It was the mental ones that drove him to distraction, trying to figure out girls. He had already start watching them closely, trying to figure out the differences between them and Casa (Casa was Casa after all), and wondering when she would turn into one of them.

Even though she had said that she wouldn't, Quenym wasn't all that sure that he trust that. So while he pounded out dirt from his clothing, Quenym frowned fiercely. And then more fiercely. And then he threw the rock he was holding out as far as he could.

"I don't get girls!" He shouted, glad that he was alone and that no one could hear him. He didn't get the giggling, flirting things, and was desperate about the idea that Sandae would join them. He had to beat her, he had to be a man first. Because all the men he saw knew and understood girls! But.... How did he become a man?

Quenym huffed and splashed down into the water, letting it run over his legs and feet as he contemplated the matter.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

O'wain usually tried to get his laundry done by helpful ladies who were hoping to win his affections but various things happening over the last several days resulted in him running out before he had the chance. Which was why he was down by the river's edge rinsing out his trousers and wringing as much water as he could manage out of them.

He already had his shirts done and they were bundled up in the basket. Once done O'wain will take all his clean but wet clothing and hang them out on the line near his hut. He had picked an area near a bend in the river which he liked to use. The current was slower but it felt more isolated to him. He had not noticed anybody coming to the river to do exactly what he was doing. Only when he heard a frustrated shout of 'I don't get girls' did he realize somebody else must have arrived.

Tossing his now clean trousers into the basket, O'wain gathered up the rest of his laundry and moved towards where the shout came from. If somebody needed help with girls, he best finish his laundry at the young man's side. A few moments later he spotted a young man, matching the young sounding voice he heard shout.

"Girls are very complicated," O'wain said to announce his approach. Once he was near he put his basket down and gathered up the small clothes he still needed to wash and joined the young man in the water.

Because he was washing, O'wain had long since removed his shirt, in fact his shirt was buried somewhere with the other clean but still wet clothing in the basket. He would have removed his trousers to do the same but the boy may not like to see a naked man when he was trying to find out about girls. 

Taking a look at the young man O'wain pegged him to be around 12 or 13 turns, 14 at the most, if he was a late bloomer. Looking him over O'wain recalled seeing the boy around here and there but never really talked to him before now.

"I can teach you all about girls but I should tell you right off the bat, no man truly understands them. Best I can do, or any man for that matter, is teach you enough to at least impress them."

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Quenym jumped a bit when someone spoke out of the blue. He turned to see a Rider approaching with his own laundry. Great, just great! The boy flushed red when he realized that he had been heard... And was now being called out on what he said.

Oh, well. He stood up and walked with the shirt he had been cleaning back to shore to lay it out to dry. "You're a rider," he said rather imperiously. "You don't have to impress a woman, do ya? That's why you've got Flightlust. I'm not a rider yet, and neither is the girl I wanna... The girl... Neither is she." He stumbled a little bit over how he wanted to refer to Casa as. Quenym didn't really want to say her name, or admit he wanted to impress her (he wasn't even sure he wanted to impress her, he just wanted to understand her).

So he crossed his arms and looked at the rider, trying to figure him out. After a moment, Quenym's shoulders slumped. "She's not a normal girl, though. She's like a guy! Just... With the wrong bits. I think I could impress her if I played a great prank on her, but then a few months ago she went and liked a necklace that we made so I made one for her. And... And... And that's not manly so I don't know." He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "She should be more like one or the other and stop confusing me."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"I'm a rider?" O'wain's eyes widened in mock shock. "Really? Wow, that explains the voice in my head. All this time I just thought I was missing a few glows."

Don't be an ass. The brown was stretched out in the sun but had turned his attention to his rider when mention of girls filtered through the bond. The hatchling should be treated delicately.

Go back to sleep Nishy, I am more than capable of teaching the boy what he needs to know.

"I am O'wain, rider of brown Nishkath," O'wain offered his hand to shake, wanting to put the boy at ease. "Just so you know, not all dragonriders are just sleeping with women due to flightlust. To be honest, we are more our dragons during that time so it doesn't count. Myself, I have been impressing girls since I was your age, long before I Impressed Nishy."

Sitting down on a rock, O'wain looked the boy over. "So you have a girl in mind you want to impress, that's always a good start. First, the necklace you made just for her, that right there is a good way to impress them. You made it yourself, shows you wanted to do something nice, the effort you put into it shows you think she's worth it. Anybody can go down to the Gather and buy one, though spending a whole bunch of marks on a girl can impress some. For the most part that would be holder girls and we don't have any that young around here."

"Girls are all different and some are more..guyish especially when young, that just means you will have more things in common. she may not like frilly dresses but she may enjoy the walk along the beach catching spiderclaws and finding interesting stones and pieces of driftwood." As he talked O'wain pulled out a fancy egg shaped stone he had found in a glowbasket he took to his hut the night before. He had laughed when he saw the bright yellow obviously hand painted stone. Fortunately there were enough real glows in the basket he could still see.  He let his fingers walk the stone around his hands for a few minutes before simply tossing it back and forth from his left to right hand.

"Do you have any specific questions about girls in general?" O'wain asked, deciding it would be better to address more specific questions about girls than just talk for hours about his vast knowledge of them from many years of experience.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Quenym just snorted at the Rider's response to his accusation of being a rider. He was a slick one. Trouble, too, probably. What would he know about girls? But as he kept speaking, talking about what Quenym had done for Casa, it seemed that the rider might actually have had the right idea about him and what he was doing. At least, was willing to give credit where credit was due on impressing Casa.

So his temper eased, and he sat down calmly beside the man. Well, right up until he saw the man pull out a painted stone that he and Casa had hidden away. Quenym snorted with laughter at it, enjoying how the man didn't seem to mind it all that much. In fact, to keep it around meant he must have liked the prank a bit, right? Quenym wasn't going to ask and risk getting in trouble, though.

As for girls in general. "Weeeelllll..." He drew things out a bit. "Giggling. They always seem to be giggling. Especially when one guy or another just walks by! A few of them have done it to me, and I haven't been making faces or had something on my face or anything! I don't think they're making fun of me, cause they get these funny looks on their faces like they had too much wine, but they are too young to supposed to be drinking and I don't think they'd risk it in public either." He glanced up at the man.

"And then the frilly stuff. Why do they like that? It just gets messy and dirty and isn't all that great when you want to do things, either."

Everything that bothered him about girls had come spilling out in a tumble of words and statements and questions. He had no clue about these things, the man did, and maybe.... Maybe... "Ya know, I don't think I really want to know how to impress a girl. I just want to be a man for her. And I don't... I don't know how to do that." He twisted his fingers together in frustration at the situation. He didn't like now knowing, he didn't like being at a standstill. But he had to be until someone helped him out.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

O'wain smiled, remembering well how much young girls giggled. Even much older women would giggle and as far as could tell, they giggled for much the same reason despite the age.

"Girls giggle mostly because they really like somebody or something. I think it's just a bubbling of emotion they can't express calmly or in any words so they just blush and giggle, or just giggle. Rarely does it mean they are laughing at a person, if they were doing that they would be clearly laughing. "If they are giggling at you it means they think you are handsome but to shy to just say you are handsome outright."

"They also giggle over gossip and silly things, for the most part a pack of giggling girls shouldn't be taken seriously. You can certainly acknowledge them with a smile and slight incline of the head. Or even a simple wave, if you know one of them or just find them cute too."

"Frilly stuff, well I don't see why girls like to dress up in such things other than they do so to look pretty. Like a plant puts out bright flowers to attract insects to them, they want to attract boys. We would never wear frilly things because we see no practical value in them and why spend so much money on something that'll get torn and dirty during out daily routines? But we do all the hard work in general, and typically girls do more 'home' related work. Cooking and cleaning and they don't wear their frilly things to do that. When they are out in public, most like to look their best, to catch our eye. They want to impress us by being bright, colorful, decorated etc. Most men just look at how fit they appear and other assets, depending on that fellow's nature and what he's looking for."

"For instance, this brightly colored stone I found in a glowbasket..actually there was several in the basket, painted to look like bright glows I think. Somebody's idea of a joke, which really did get a laugh out of me when I looked into the basket after thinking it wasn't as bright as it should be and saw several of them. Anyway, such nicely painted rocks would be something a girl likes. Gemstones they would like even more as they shine very nicely in the light. They like bright flashy things and dress accordingly. Again, it's all to attractive mates and to make them feel appreciated."

"Your friend, who you mentioned before wasn't like a normal girl, I expect is more practical minded, not as much into frilly things. I bet she does but she's more practical minded than most. Pretty necklaces and arm bands, things that she can wear even when she's doing stuff most girls will shun as it would mean getting dirty, probably suit her more. Beautiful things come in many shape and sizes."

"Being a man, well that is a bit more natural thing for us to be. It is also very subjective. You are a man on a primal level because that is what you are born as. If you have man parts then you are a man, plain and simple. How a man is suppose to act, well there are many opinions. A woman tends to like to see a physically fit man, nice muscles and all that. Regular hard physical work builds muscles and eating regularly helps too."

"Many like their man very responsible, reliable, hard working and a good provider. Others like their men more easy going and fun loving and in touch with their feelings. And there are all kinds of variations. Some like a strong authoritative man who lays down the law of his house and expects all within it to follow. Even if he is harsh to those who break a rule or displease him in some way. Myself, I think that sort of man is just an ass."

"The important thing Quenym is deciding what you feel makes a man, a man. Self confidence, determination, obeying all the rules, doing what is right, having fun responsibly, or doing whatever you want because you just can, intelligence, cunning, wit, wisdom and many other attributes can make up what a man is. Oddly enough women seem to like all types of men, even men other men may consider poor examples of what a man is."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Quenym had initially been rather skeptical when the man started explaining everything he had questions on, especially the frilly stuff, but as he spoke it all started making sense. Sort of. It was weird to think of Casa wanting a mate (wasn't she only thirteen? Did girls really want mates that young?) she was a girl. And they had made that promise to each other....

At least this gave him ideas about what to do for Casa. And for the other girls, too. He had started noticing them, they we just as pretty, but Quenym didn't want to try anything with them until he had practiced with his friend.

She wouldn't laugh at him if he got it wrong, and if she did it wouldn't hurt as bad.

Now, the talk about manhood intrigued him a bit. He hummed and nodded at the appropriate points, though the last statement made him grin slyly. "Perhaps those other men would consider you a poor example, then?" It was a touch teasing and a touch mean, but the statement had left the man open and Quenym couldn't resist! "Sorry, sorry!" He said immediately after, throwing his hands up in submission. The last thing he wanted was to get in trouble again.

"So if I have just one girl in mind, then I should find out what she likes in a man and try to be like that, huh?" That seemed like what O'wain was saying. "We'll, she likes it when I take charge and responsibility, and when I've made her stuff, taken care of her..." The boy let his thoughts wander out loud. Quenym frowned. "I don't think I like that. Means I have to be responsible." But he would do it, for Casa. After all, she was going to be his wing second!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

O'wain laughed when Quenym pointed out how other men may not think he was all that manly. As the boy worried he was going to get into trouble or had offended him, O'wain reached over and ruffled his hand through the boy's hair.

"No need to be sorry, I did sort of lead myself open for. In a way it's true, there are many things I don't take seriously enough. I enjoy a good laugh, love to party, and I most definitely enjoy being around women in all their frilly splendor. I do what work I am expected to do to the best of my ability, that I don't shirk...but I am far from the perfect man in most women's minds. I am the perfect man for a good time however."

"If she already likes these things in you, you don't have to change who you are. Just be who you are around her. Otherwise, if you try and change, and end up changing in the wrong way, she may not like it as much. It's a good idea to make a few modifications to ensure she's happy. SHe likes you in a leadership role, which could simply mean she likes to follow your lead in things. It doesn't necessarily mean being responsible. It is good to be aware she could get hurt if you do reckless things so being a little more careful won't hurt. There are plenty of ways to have great fun without turning into a boring stick in the mud."

"Planning something for you two to do together then surprising her with it, is one way to take charge and take care of her. That surprise can be anything from cooking a nice meal with your own hands to finding the perfect spot further up the river where there is a big tree perfect for climbing. Once you get there you have a picnic lunch all set up for you two to enjoy. And climb the tree and swim in the river, especially the deep pools that form when the shoreline cuts into the bank enough to lessen the current."

"Responsibility can be cleverly twisted to be such fun," O'wain added. He had his duties and he did try and make them fun. Flirting with his wingmates and working with Nishkath to pull some stunts when the repetitive drills became boring. "Just keep in mind potential consequences."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Quenym loosened up some as the man ruffled his hair. The rider didn't seem the bad sort at all. He rather liked him, indeed. Especially since the man was willing to own up to not being perfect. "I think I'd like to be like that. Liked. And you like jokes, too! I really liked all the stones everywhere, that was a good prank I- somebody pulled!" He nearly bit his tongue in his haste to cover up that he had been the one to pull it. Well, him and Casa, but he would never rat out his friend like that.

It was also comforting to hear that he didn't have to change all that much. Quenym didn't really like that thought. He hummed a bit. "Yeah, she doesn't mind following when I have an idea. I asked her to come into the woods with me to find stuff for a present, but was happy with whatever I suggested. That makes it easier. But..." Quenym frowned. He hadn't considered that she could get hurt doing what he had made plans for. "I'll be careful about not letting her get hurt. She knows I would fight a wild wher before I let it get to her."

The Brat's eyes widened as the man suggested ideas on surprising her. "That's brilliant! I just learned how to cook a pie, and I don't think she ever expects me to do that. And I like all those other ideas, too. Not half-bad!" A grin suffused his expansion with joy at how he could work to make Casa happy. Yes, he could do all of that!

But the mention of responsibility brought another frown to his face. "But isn't responsibility doing what you're told? I get told that a lot, and I don't think for one minute that it can be fun. Besides, if Casa gets a gold I can't show her how responsible I am, because she will be around all the bronzeriders all the time! I know we pr-" he broke off there, eyeing the man suspiciously.

But that faded aft a moment. "Okay, so I get the big things about manhood. So. ....What about the physical side? How do I make her want to have sex with me, and how do I make the sex good?" The idea had been floating in his head for a while. It was filed under 'Stuff To Know For Someday After Weyrlinghood', since it was ridiculous to think of doing now. He didn't think either of them were quite ready for that. But maybe in a year, after they had experimented with other stuff for a while....

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

O'wain's eyebrow rose when Quenym slipped about who pulled the good prank. He gave a slow smile and winked at him. It was a clever prank and one of the few that didn't hurt or embarrass anybody. Colored stones wouldn't offend anybody as far as he knew. "It was a clever prank, amusing and harmless. I don't know where else these colored rocks showed up and I doubt anybody would be angry about it."

"Painting the doors of the main entrance to the Weyr or dinning area such bright colors..that may anger somebody." O'wain paused then grinned. "Now that's an idea, paint the doors bright colors. They are so drab and boring right now."

"Doing what you are told isn't really responsibility though following the rules is part of being responsible. If one is expected to do what they are told it does fall under the heading of 'responsibility'. Sometimes to be responsible one has to break orders too. Responsibility in my mind is just accepting what you do or don't do has consequences and you are willing to accept them. Following orders just means being obedient and one can be obedient and irresponsible. It gets complicated if you think about it too much. In the end do what you feel is right and accept the consequences if it happens to be against the status quo but always look out for your friends. Friends are important in my book."

When Quenym moved the conversation from what makes a man to sex, O'wain studied the young man. He was young with his first sexual experience, younger than Quenym most likely. He just experimented till it felt really good and the girls didn't hate him for it. He became better by asking what they liked as he tried different things.

"Sex, a very tricky subject, especially when it's figuring out when a girl is ready for it. It's never good to push or force a girl into it if she's not ready, one reason I really do like the rule about all candidates should have sex before standing. Flightlust, especially between the rider of a female dragon and the rider of the dragon who caught her, is quite intense. You are totally caught up in the lust of your dragon and really don't have much control over your actions. Fortunately the heavy load of lust pounding into you from a dragon does get things prepared which otherwise could make the experience far worse otherwise. Not having a clue what is to happen can freak out riders of a maiden flight. Knowing what sex is and how it feels and being comfortable about it before hand, means its simply an enjoyable ride." O'wain smirked. "But we will focus on human sex, the dragons know what they are doing when the time comes and your Weyrling Master will detail what a rider needs to do for the safety of their dragons during that time."

"First, telling a girl you like her, think she's pretty, or has a great personality and you enjoy talking and doing things with her, is one way to break the ice. If it's true of course, some are quite good at figuring out you are lying if you don't think she's pretty, hate being around her etcetera. If she's already a friend, you can ask her on a date or simply being more physical with her. Holding her hand, kissing her cheek or forehead, leaning against her, whisper how good she makes you feel into her ear. If she's responding well, you can try to kiss her on the lips, short and quick. I suggest since you never did it before, is don't rush anything. Your body may be wanting you to go faster because things feel so good but hold yourself back. LIke shoving a pie into your mouth all at once, it's really delicious but before you know it, it's all gone. IF yo nibble the pie slowly, enjoying each part, the pie will be very delicious and for a long time. By the time you are finished a whole pie, you won't feel like it was gone so fast you didn't even remember the taste."

"I think it would be best we break down the talk of sex in sections. First, have you kissed this girl much if at all? I am assuming you have one in mind, Casa I presume?" O'wain recalled he mentioned something about Casa impressing a gold she would be expected to hang around bronze dragonriders. which reminded him he didn't comment on that aspect.

"Oh and as for Casa impressing a gold and being stuck hanging around the bronze riders, that's not strictly true. She can hang around with whoever she wants. As a goldrider it doesn't mean the only people she can associate with would be bronze riders. In truth all it means is when her gold rises to mate, the bronze dragons will chase her so most times she will end up in bed with a bronze rider. As her dragon won't be senior, she doesn't have to be with that bronze rider or any dragonrider outside of mating flights if that is her choice. Brown dragons and the ambitions blue will chase golds too. Nishkath has chased golds in the past and we will likely be chasing them in the future. So if you end up on a brown, you can chase her gold."

"Anyway, back to sex. How much experience do you have kissing?" O'wain moved to a more comfortable topic. He didn't want the boy to put two and two together and realize Nishkath was likely to chase this Casa's dragon if she Impressed a gold, or green for that matter. But all blues, browns and bronzes were likely to do so. No shortage of horny dragonriders at Katala.

Once Quenym responded, O'wain answered the boy's questions to the best of his ability, detailing the many aspects of wooing a girl to one's bed and still be friends afterwards. He had to wing a few areas as O'wain was very much a womanizer and often left broken hearts in his wake. He didn't mean to, he just wasn't the sort of guy to form serious attachments.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)