World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Splash [Open]

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

Written By: Jenn
Ameris watched, an amused smile brighting her face, from the bank of the river. Rislan dashed about the shallows with a wild abandon, his shrieks and screams echoing along the bank. Ameris laughed as Rislan kicked water towards her, his chubby cheeks curled in a grin so big it nearly hurt hers to think of it. Standing, Ameris moved to the waters edge and toed off her boots. She dressed perfectly for this adventure in cut off pants and a simple shirt, clothes she didn't mind ruined.

Walking into the water, her son gave a shout and barreled into her, almost taking her down. "Scamp!" she laughed before swinging him into her arms. Walking further out with the boy in her arms Ameris wrapped an arm around his waist before settling him into a swimmers move. It was a game they played. Rislan playing the swim game. Well. The toddler thought it was a game, but Ameris was determined the child actually learn to swim. 

By the time Rislan got in a few good strokes, amid the gleeful splashing, Ameris was soaked. Splashing the boy as she stomped out of the water, she set his wiggling body down, "Time to get a little warm, Rislan," she said before making a snatch for him as he darted back towards the water, "Now lad! Sit here and playing in the sand like I asked." With a pout and grumble Rislan began his next favorite game. Digging a giant hole. With a chuckle, Ameris sat to lean on her hands, head tilted back.

She soaked in the sun. She wasn't sure how long she had sat listening to Rislan's chortles as he flung sand about, her eyes closed and soft sighs coming every so often as the sun warmed her chilled clothes. Her eye cracked open when a shadow past over her face. The person standing over her was in shadow and a buzz of alarm shot down her spine as her eye darted to look at Rislan from the corner and a sigh of relief sounded as she spotted him digging still. She cleared her throat.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
A green flight had happened recently and dragonlust had filled him. He'd gone and cowered in the shower of his room, letting the cold water counteract and punish the desires forced on him by the mating green. It was unnatural to fight it so, and every time he did, it became a little harder, and it took a little more out of him, both mentally and physically. Part of him wanted to believe that having bedroom time with the person nearest to him whenever flightlust happened was natural and good, but a part of his soul simply couldn't agree. It had to be wrong to sleep with someone without a relationship, casual, as it was called.

He'd taken to a long stroll over the river's edge today, taking the day off from his CraftHall instead of laboring over the hot smithing forge with abandon for the world, as he always seemed to do. He usually immersed himself in work to avoid the reality that his life was boring here at Katila, and that he, intellectually, was bored. Perhaps taking more risks would cure that. Perhaps escaping from the weyr and going back home, throwing back laughter to the man who'd stolen him. Or perhaps, instead, he'd just take the day off work. He'd opted for that and called it a risky adventure.

There was a woman along the riverside with a child splashing about in the water. He spotted them and walked over. He hadn't realized how close he was when he stopped, his shadow draping over the woman's lounging posture. He wasn't really looking at her or the child, just merely had his gaze over the area without thinking. This was risky, also. Would he say something to the woman? Would he try to get over his fear of children by attempting to play with it?

Sure, why the fardles not.

"Who's a good little child? Who is he? Yes-he-is, he's-a-good-little-toddler.", he tried, calling to the child. It was the best he knew how to do. Wasn't it? What if he had a child back where he'd come from? What if he didn't? What if all of this moping and longing was for nothing?

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

Ameris watched, a fine tension twitching through her body as the man called out to Rislan. She snorted and smirked at his feeble attempt to speak to the boy. He was a child sure, but he wasn't a dimwit. "His name is Rislan. Might answer a heck of a lot better to it then toddler," she shook her head. While she was a bit tense and concerned her son definitely did not have the same feelings towards this odd new man. The toddler looked at the man standing before his mother and with a curious cock of the head the boy held out his make shift shovel, "Dig? Dig big?" he asked the man.

Ameris was amused at the lack of concern her son held in regard to meeting new people. Amused and a touch frightened at the aspects. As Rislan held out his shovel Ameris sat up and moved slightly so she could better see the man. A shock of red hair topped a lean lanky body with a perpetually worried look about his pale face. His appearance made him seem less intimidating and the unease she had felt slipped away.

Scooting closer to the sizable hole Rislan had created, she glanced at the redheaded man. "Might as well sit. He'll badger you until you give in," she told him before offering up her name, "Ameris and this happy lad is Rislan. You look a bit familiar but I can't place your face so you'll have to help me out a bit with your name." She tried to smile gently and knew it was forced. A gentle smile was not often easy for Ameris to accomplish.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Dig... big? Huh? What was wrong with this child? Was it retarded? Was there some knob that needed to be wound for the child to resume functionality as normal (cry, pee, poop, cry...) ? And why wasn't it crying and pooping and peeing that very moment? What the heck even was a dig-dig-big? Was this thing some sort of alien and not a baby at all? As the child looked at him, Oahvakeen grimaced, as if it had grown a second head, rattled off a million digits of pi, and the told him a grizzly fortune.

"What?", was all he could manage, expressing his complete and utter confusion of the situation.

He looked at the child. And then he looked at the woman. She had one, two eyes, a nose, some pink things - oh, those were lips, and ears, and two eyebrows. He blinked.

"Why is he outside?", he asked, as if children were not allowed to ever come in contact with the air outside the weyr, let alone be handled by their parents. "Why isn't he being cared for?", of course, his words were so ambiguous that it could have sounded like Oahvakeen was accusing Ameris of neglecting her child by letting him play.

He did want to be adventureous, and here was an opportunity. Instead, he just stood above the sitting woman looking hulking and awkward with a baby begging for his attention with its eyes. It took all his strength not to look at the woman and to lurch around her to find a place beside the child and sit. He loooked at the child. The child looked at him. He looked at the child. The child looked at him. Oahvakeen could have sworn he saw the faint but distinctive outline of a booger slowly making its way outside the child's nose at a snail's pace.

"Like this? Will it bite me? What do I do now? How do I digdigbig ?"

He tentatively moved one of his hands forwards, palm up, and stayed it in front of the child's face, as one would let a dog sniff him. He lowered his hand back to himself eventually.

"I'm Oahvakeen. I took the day off."

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

Ameris sruggled with the over whelming urge to smack the boy upside his head. It was an effort but she succeeded. Rolling her eyes at the man's question she said "He's outside because he's bored. And he is being cared for." Hadn't he ever seen a child before? You'd think they were monsters from another planet, the way he was carrying on. "Dig!" Rislan shouted at the man. Couldn't he tell that the little boy only wanted to play?

With a brow raised she looked him over again, "He'll only bite if you stick your finger in his mouth. Are you going to stick your finger in his mouth?" waving her hand for him to sit next to the boy she said, "Digging is one of his favorite past times. He's digging a big hole. You'd better hurry before he starts throwing sand at you." Rislan was working himself into a state and her warning was right on the mark as Rislan tossed a shovel full of sand at the man.

Oahvakeen. Interesting name the man had. Sounded like some kind of flower. Scowling she watched him raise his hand for Rislan to sniff. Sniff! What in the hell did he think Rislan was? A dog? "He's not a dog Oahvakeen! Tell him hello and sit!" she said sharply before softening a touch, "Congratulations on the day off."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"He is? Oh.... oh.", he didn't get it, as the child wasn't with the other children in their day-care kind of rooms. But after he shut his mouth and stopped stammering, he realized that the child was indeed being cared for by a woman, probably his mother, by the way she talked about him. But maybe it was not her child but her cousin or auntie's sister's left uncle's daughter. No, maybe not a daughter, because Rislan looked like a boy.

When Ameris shouted at Oahvakeen, he instantly lifted his arms to hide in and to protect his face. When nothing more happened, he considered what she'd said. The boy wanted to dig. Well, he knew how to dig. He decided to use his hands, and reached down .... oh, right, he needed to sit. And tell him hello. He got a shovel full of sand  flung against him. He winced. Did he really want to be near a little monster that threw dirt at him?

"Hello. I'll sit.", he sat nearby, at the length of his arm. He plunked his hand into the sand, withdrew a fistfull of wet sand, and marveled at it in his hand. What now? He looked at the boy. The boy looked at him. He reached out with the dirt, and tried to plop the fistfull of wet sand onto the boy's head. The wet sand stuck together in the shape of the inside of his hand, like playdough. He laughed a little, thinking it was funny.

"So Rislan is your ... ? "

"Maybe dig dig big 'ing isn't so bad. What else can he do? What do you do?"

He now began to paw at the dirt where he sat, more as something to do than anything else.

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

Her brow shot up with curiosity as the man moved to protect himself. Abused much? "Stop that, I'm not going to hit you for Faranth's sake," she said. She wasn't the nicest person at any given time but she didn't abuse people. Well.. She didn't think she did. Her father didn't count. She was rather nice to the girls in her candidate class though she never went out of her way to get to know them. Her lovers were few and far between but she'd never gotten any complaints there either. So it couldn't just be her. Maybe someone around the weyr took a liking to smacking the man around.

She watched Oahvakeen play with her son with an almost childlike manner. She smiled kindly and this time it was true. The man laughed at the sand he attempted to stick on Rislan's head and her own chuckle echoed. "Rislan is my son," she answered on the heels on her laugh. Eyes still glued to the pair as the began to dig in earnest she wondered if the man had children of his own. If he did he didn't know much about them.

She frowned at his question. What did she do? Nothing. She kept house, took care of Rislan when he wasn't at the creche and attended candidate lessons. It was the sum of her life. It didn't bother her for the most part but there were those time when she had a craving to explore. "Chores," she answered with a grimace, "I do chores and take care of Rislan when he's home. What do you do Oahvakeen?"

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Oahvakeen had a way of aggravating women so much that his personality just begged them to get mad. And they did. And then Oahvakeen would sulk about how mean women were and how their hormones were so malicious. It was a vicious cycle of playing the victim and being made into one; one he didn't know he was doing. Though part of him enjoyed complaining about his personal attacks and misunderstandings with women. It was always easy to talk about the wrongs others had done to you.

"Oh, he's your son.", he repeated, letting the meaning of it sink in. So someone had bopped her, nine months later, this had come out, and  some years later, here he was playing with the product of someone else's rejection. "Where's the father, why isn't he here? Did he leave you, was he mean? I mean, you seem to pretty and nice to scare away men, and you must have really loved him to want to make a kid.", he stared at the child for a moment, taking in its features. Then, he stared at the woman, squinted his eyes, and attempted to compare the boy's features to hers and figure out which must have been those of the father. "He doesn't have your fingers. Well, I mean he has five and all, but they aren't the same shape-type.", he gave up now, he wasn't eloquent enough with words to describe anything good enough to explain.

His eyes widened. "You do chores? But normal folk don't stay at the Weyr. Only people who have a job. That's how they keep the peace, they give you a job and keep you too busy to notice how boring and stupid everything is around here. I'm a metal worker. And a candidate. But I'd rather kill a dragon than bond with one. I don't really want to kill any dragon, but they fardles if I want one following me around and poking my mind and making me care for it and feed it and pet it. The only pet I'll accept is a rock. No noise, no poop, no feeding, no petting, no bugging me, and I can throw it away if I don't want it without any problem at all. "

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

Ameris sputtered. Was he serious? Cracked? The questions that shot from his mouth were rather personal in nature and she fought to keep the irritation from her voice as she opened her mouth. And snapped it closed. She blinked at the redheaded man as she thought of an answer that wouldn't involve smacking him in the head. He didn't seem to mean anything by it though she could be wrong. "Rislan.. Rislan is the product of flight lust," she said as she shook her head, "His father wasn't mean and his father doesn't know."

Fingers? Rislan had her dark eyes and wide mouth and Oahvakeen focused on his fingers. Rislan still had baby fat wrapped around his little hands but she had no doubt that when he grew he would have the long slender fingers she did. "Rislan is still a baby, Oahvakeen. He's only 2 turns, he's got some time to grow into his um.. Fingers," she said.

The next words that came from him brought as quiet gasp from her throat. What kind of person would rather send a dragon between then impress. She was a candidate. She would impress. Someday anyway. She hoped. As much as she disliked her father, the bond the brownrider had with his dragon was enough to sell Ameris on the idea of impression from the time she was small. "How could you say such a thing?" she said a bit harshly, "A candidate and you'd wish a dragon's death?" She didn't understand how a candidate would rather have a pet rock - a damned rock! - over the life long companionship of another being.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"He-oh.", he started and stopped, but what really got to him more than the fact that the boy was two and not yet fully developed was that his father didn't know. He didn't know if he had a child back home, and he wanted to know. Who wouldn't want to know that they had a child, a son, who liked to play in the sand and had hands and fingers that weren't fully formed and said things like "dig dig big". Had the same thing happened to Ameris as him, that she had been search-n-snatched before she could tell anyone? And yet here they were now, on the side of a river, at Katila weyr.

"If I were him, I'd want to know, so that I could do the right thing and be a dad. ", he said softly, looking at the boy. He had no idea what to do with the child or how to interact with him. In fact, he was sort of frightened of the boy, but a part of him soothed him that this was the right and noble thing to do, like a paternal instinct trying to stir to life and rise though waves of subconscious resistance. He was quiet, and gazed down at the dirt where he sat. He took a few clumps and put them in front of the boy, and then more, until he'd transported a small pyramid of the wet, goopy sand.

"Can you teach me to be better with women and kids?", he looked down as he said it, afraid of his own voice and his own expression and even his own feelings.

"You see these people with dragons, and their world, their lives have shifted. Nothing is more important than their dragon. Not even their weyrmate or their weyrbrats. Their dragons become their whole lives, like the dragon riders are in a state of altered consciousness. And it's permanent, there's no turning back. I don't understand how anyone would want to change their whole lives so dramatically. And, it's a dragon that depends on them, not a human. A dragon can't satisfy a human's need for social interaction or deep conversations or physical affection or even romance...."

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

She watched him with something akin to pity. He seemed so down trodden, so alone. On a good day Ameris was surrounded by people. Granted most were the girls in her candidate class. The other girls chosen to stand for any gold egg. She didn't have many friends and those she did were usually former lovers. On a bad day Ameris was much like Oahkvakeen. Alone. Her pity turned to sympathy when it dawned on her that he had been stolen. He was one of those who had been kidnapped for Nirinath's clutches. She reached out and patted his hand as she answered, "If you'd like, Oahvakeen, I can teach you to talk to women and children."

She contemplated his words. Words spoken like a holder. He'd never grown up in a weyr, watched the magic that was impression. Seen the looks of utter love and adoration bloom on the faces of those lucky - yes lucky - enough to find that lifemate. She'd grew up watching her father and his brown. She could say many things about the man who had sired her most of them not very pleasant, but she could say he was a changed man, a better man when he was around his brown. She watched that brown bring out the best parts of her father and loved him for it.

Rislan crowed with delight at the new game Oahvakeen has unknowingly instigated. The dark haired little boy began shaping the wet sand into something with the vague outlines of a dragon. Rislan adored his grandfather's big brown life mate and the dragon adored him in return, so it came to no surprise to Ameris when he shouted with delight, "Ama! Midranth!" She chuckled and nodded. She waved a hand at her son, "You see Oahvakeen. Even the children love the beasts. They give you affection, unconditional love and understanding. Granted they can not give you romance, but I have seen the care with which a dragon takes with their rider when they sit together or fly together. I have witnessed many splendid things, over the years. I grew up here, in this weyr, my father a dragonrider. I wouldn't change it Oahvakeen. And I wouldn't change my candidacy either."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

When the child began making new sounds, his skin jumped in alarm. Was the child on fire? Had it been struck by lightning? What was the matter? He turned to see, and as he saw the child's expression, his worry faded. The kid was fine. He was just making different noises.  He did seem to like the dirt he'd placed down, so he slowly brought over more fist-fulls of dirt, piling them beside the work of "art".

"Yeah, I'd like that. I always feel like I'm doing it wrong. "

"So a dragon is like a kid...", he pondered his own revelation after reflecting on Ameris' speech on dragon bonding and relationships. But a kid was like a pet. And he'd still have to care for it. It was a new side of things he hadn't thought of before. It made him doubt his standpoint, but couldn't do anything more than that.

"Oh, so you're from here and your dad was a dragon rider. ", he thought about it. It was interestingly enough, but, it just seemed like the end of a conversation. How would he respond to that? He gazed blankly at Ameris for some time. And then he turned his attention to the weyr in the backdrop. And then he turned and stared at the child, who seemed happy to 'dig dig big', shaping something in the sand that looked to him like a mutant bowel evacuation.

"Can we bury him?", he asked Ameris. He was out of ideas.

Ameris
of Gold Mizeath

Date of Birth
15.08.708 ,
Height
5'6"
Eyes
Dark Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Black

Threads

She nodded gently, "Yes they are rather like children." She gazed at him as she watched him reflect on her words. She could see the minute doubt that ranged across his face and was secretly glad that perhaps she had caused him to think about his feelings on the matter. She hadn't meant to of course but if her words did a bit of good she would be happy for it.

Rislan still chuckled with his happiness as Oahvakeen slipped more dirt into his pile. The lad patted the pile all the while whispering the name of his grandfathers dragon. When Oahvakeen asked if they could bury him, Ameris raised a brow. Bury Rislan? She thought not. He was much to small for play like that but Ameris had a much better idea.

"You don't bury a child, Oahvakeen. I think he'd get a bit lost in the sand there," she answered, "But I've a better idea.. Why don't he bury you?"

That was abysmally short and I apologize!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"But  I- !", he started to protest, and realized the woman's protest. Perhaps it was better him than a child.

"Okay.", he shifted in the sand to lay down, folding his hands behind his head as a pillow.

"But only if the sand doesn't contain any bodily fluids. Peeing on it to make it wetter isn't fair.", he added.

He began to wait, but realized that the process would not be instantaneous. He'd have to entertain himself while they entertained themselves burying him in the sand. "Can I have big muscles and boobs?"

"When I was really little, my mother used to take us to the beach. It was this long strip of sand and past that, the ocean. We'd go in the morning, my older brother O'tasho and I...", his voice trailed off as he continued his story. He wasn't exactly content with being buried, but it was his day off, so the heck with it, why not? The risk of getting wet and sticky with sand made him feel more excited and adventurous.

-- fade out --
Thought this would make a good end to the story!

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)