World of Pern
[G] [O] 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: High Reaches Weyr Boundaries (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=133)
+--- Forum: High Reaches Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=134)
+--- Thread: [G] [O] 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here (/showthread.php?tid=5354)

744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 03.Feb.23

It was his third day on the road. He didn't really want to go through his pack because he was sure he was just going to count up his dwindling food again and get pissed off so Ereben wasn't going to open his pack at all today. At all. He'd figure out food and water while he walked, even if it was cold. Being Holdless meant that hunger wasn't unknown to him. He was used to scrapping around for food.

Still, Ereben had his bola wrapped around his hand just in case he spotted a small wherry. He couldn't remember how far it was to the next Hold. He had purposefully avoided the ones that his father...frequented...so that he distanced himself in just another way from the long line of shit his father had done. He wanted to find somewhere new, maybe out of this area entirely, where he could start over. No past, no lineage. None of that shit.

Or he'd just starve to death or get killed by a tunnel snake.

Still beat being where he was.

Ereben looked up at the irregular cliffs nearby. He had spent most of the morning in the forest and now he was at a break in it, as the rocks were stacked like pillars trying to touch the sky. Maybe if he could climb up one high enough, he could figure out where a Hold was. Beat just wandering down a road, dodging into bushes whenever he heard others just in case it was his father's goons.

Ereben readjusted his pack. He winced as it scraped against the still-healing scars on his back. Just another reminder. Determined, he gripped the first rock and pulled himself up, ignoring the pain in his back. He'd been through worse. He could climb rocks. He wasn't going to go back. He wasn't going back.

Rock by rock, he repeated that litany against muscles that protested being used so early. About halfway up, the remaining canopy broke away. The wind playfully ran its fingers through his dark hair. Another few rocks up, he stopped, hauling himself up on a ledge, draping his arms over his knees. In the distance were the peaks of High Reaches. Wasn't there a Weyr there? Could he go there? Probably not. Dragons hated Holdless, that's what everyone said.

Ereben looked away from the peaks towards other points of possible interest. There was a clearing maybe a few miles away? Hard to tell distance. That might work. Wasn't in the direction he had come so that was another plus. There was another one much further out that might be the clearing of a Hold, might just be a small lake. Ereben scowled.

He broke his rule of the day, dug into his pack, and pulled out a piece of fruit to eat while he thought about what to do next.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 06.Feb.23

T'ryn did not want to make the trip to High Reaches in place of S'far but the Weyrleader had insisted, no matter the amount of times it was pointed out he had too much to do. I believe that was the point. He might be a nuisance, but even fools have a moment of sound advice. You needed to get out and I needed to stretch my wings properly. T'ryn sighed, knowing he was utterly defeated, and patted his dragon's neck affectionately. "And here I thought you liked being a lazy lump. Bedith doesn't Fly for several months... is Cazan's pregnancy starting to bother you again?" Syrendryth didn't bother to give that an answer so T'ryn took it as the correct guess. His dragon had grown antsy and extra grumpy the last few months of the first pregnancy, though he never said why it affected him. T'ryn's personal theory was the great bronze beast couldn't be as useful as he was to Bedith when she was on the Sands and didn't like floundering or being seen as weak or an imperfect mate--or extension of one. T'ryn really wished people would believe him when he said Syrendryth wasn't so bad.

It was because of Syrendryth's silent concerns and his overall love for the dragon that T'ryn decided they should take a little longer returning to Telgar and go for a nice flight around the High Reaches. It had been a while since their sneak out sessions, and his boy really did deserve a good long stretch of the wings--and maybe some fresh air away from responsibilities would do him well as well. T'ryn had quickly dropped off the gift from S'far to A'dis, passing along the message that the High Reaches Weyrsecond was still a Telgar bronze in the older rider's heart and deserved some woodwork of love. T'ryn definitely twitched as he passed along the pun that accompanied it, but had blocked it from memory as soon as the words left his mouth so he could enjoy the carefree flight. After chatting a bit about their new positions and assurances that V'lia was still doing well with the current weyrling class and seemed excited to move to High Reaches after the graduation.

They continued to soar away from the Weyr, gliding and dipping with the currents and Syrendryth's mood. T'ryn found he really did need a chance to let go and not worry about his tasks for the day, or sneakily doing Cazan's tasks, or tending to the twins. He was taking in the beauty of the region when on one of their lower dives, T'ryn swore he saw someone eating, possibly alone. Did I hallucinate or was someone just back there on a rocky outcrop among those trees? Hallucination. That confirmed there really was someone back there. Had he actually been alone? Did he need some assistance? Not everyone needs assistance, and it doesn't always need to come from you.. He knew that... mostly. He felt he was getting better at not meddling or inserting himself into some saviour role, but he also couldn't help it and now he was simply curious.

After a little back and forth, Syrendryth finally wheeled around and slowed his speed enough that T'ryn could call out as he waved to the young man, "hello! If you're in need of a lift or anything else, we'll wait for a bit at the clearing just over there." He pointed to the spot that seemed large enough for the bronze to land and smiled before they angled for that clearing.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 10.Feb.23

Ereben spotted the dragon along the horizon before it spotted him. Or at least, he thought he did. He watched the slim, metallic shape glide over the canopy like a ship over smooth water. And since the dragon was far off, Ereben didn't think about hiding himself. He just watched.

His interactions with dragonriders hadn't been pleasant. Honestly, that was because his interactions with them were because they had been called in to find the thieves that had just raided the latest Hold. Thieves like Ereben. Look, if he had been given a choice, he wouldn't have done it. But his father had been manipulating him into that shit for so long, Ereben didn't get the option to say no. So, yeah, the only thing he knew about dragons was that he had to hide from them.

So when the dragon wheeled and began coming in his direction, his stomach dropped. Shit, he had been spotted. Shit, shit, shit. Could he get down in time? Shit. He quickly shrugged on his pack and was about to take his first shift down when he heard the dragonrider say, "Hello! If you're in need of a lift or anything else, we'll wait for a bit at the clearing just over there."

Wait, what?

The dragonrider was pointing towards one of the closer clearings, some place big enough for the dragon to land in but still not too far away for Ereben to reach within a few minutes if he hurried. Should he do it? What if the dragon scented Holdless on him? Because dragons could do that, right?

The dragon had started to wheel away when impulsion grabbed Ereben and he heard himself say, "Okay!" Why had he said that? He was going to get caught! Wait, for what? He hadn't done anything wrong by climbing the rocks. He hadn't done anything wrong at all! Lately anyway. He could lie to the dragonrider, give him a different name, story, whatever. No one would know. As long as no one figured out his lie, Ereben could start over anywhere.

Even at a Weyr, if he wanted.

He nimbly descended and raced towards the clearing. His pack banged against his back painfully but the possibility of getting as far away from his father as a dragon could carry him outweighed the pain. He reached the spot, out of breath, and that's when he realized how big dragons were up close. Until that moment, he had only seen them at a distance or broken up by treetops. There was nothing small, distant, or broken about this one. His hands gripping his pack's straps, Ereben gaped.

Until finally he recovered enough brain cells to blurt out, "You mean that? You'll give me a lift somewhere?"

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 11.Feb.23

T'ryn removed most of his own riding gear as they waited for the young man to join them--at least, he assumed the shouted 'okay!' meant he would soon have company. Either way, he was ready to make a proper introduction or to slack off a little longer with just his dragon as they enjoyed the peace around them. Not that he really knew how to slack off, but the chance was there, and a look around the area from the ground showed a nice spot to explore or to simply sit and listen to the birdsong. His guilt would eat at him soon enough anyway.

Syrendryth sitting up straighter and staring in one direction drew T'ryn's attention before he himself heard someone approaching. He turned as the youth emerged and smiled as Syrendryth's size, or just the dragon himself, caused the usual reaction. The bronze was rather impressive, though a lot of the new clutches seemed to be growing slightly larger now. I am still among the largest, Syrendryth pointed out to his rider as he continued to stare down the new boy in silence.

Due to the reaction, T'ryn was ready to answer questions about his dragon, so he was a bit surprised when he was instead asked about the offer. He supposed he shouldn't have been. There were still some holders that didn't like the return of dragons and believed they were selfish and didn't offer anything freely, so who knew what had been taught to him? "I do and we will. If a ride helps you at all, I'm happy to offer it."

Introductions.

I was getting to it.

"And I'm T'ryn of bronze Syrendryth," T'ryn gestured to the dragon as if there were any other dragons standing with them at the same time Syrendryth reminded him, rank. T'ryn resisted sighing as he smoothly added on, no matter how weird it still was to say, "Weyrsecond of Telgar."

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 22.Feb.23

Ereben looked at the dragonrider only when he spoke. He was just fascinated with dragon instead of scared. Dragons may not have been huge but they were still bigger than herdbeasts and those could hurt someone easily. But maybe he should be scared? What if the dragon suddenly realized that Ereben was Holdless? What then?

Ereben scowled briefly. Well if the dragons didn't want him, fuck 'em.

When the dragonrider said that he would be happy to convey Ereben somewhere else, the boy tilted his head to side, his expression still quietly disbelieving that a dragonrider would be so...nice. And his name was T'ryn? And the dragon was Syrendryth? Wasn't it said that dragons knew their names at birth? How was that possible?

"What's a Weyrsecond?" Ereben asked. He knew what Telgar was, but not really where. Well, it was east-ish, Ereben thought. He hadn't seen a map of Pern in a long while. Not since they got kicked out of the Holds. And even then, he hadn't thought to memorize one. Now he wished he had.

After T'ryn explained his rank, Ereben drew himself up and said, "I'm Ereben. I'm..." No rank. No lineage. No destination. So where was he going to tell the dragonrider to take him? Telgar? Nah, he didn't want to go there. Where was somewhere that no one wanted to go, somewhere where his father wouldn't try to find him?

"Can you take me to High Reaches?" Ereben asked. And then, belatedly remembering some sort of etiquette (who needed etiquette when you were Holdless?), he added, "Please."

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 05.Mar.23

"A headache," T'ryn muttered before quickly explaining what his rank actually was and that he actually did kind of enjoy it. Being kept busy was nice and S'far wasn't the reason he was overworked and exhausted--that was all his own doing with extra tasks. He just never wanted such a rank and still grumbled about it as a default response. Not that the kid, Ereben, needed to know his life story so T'ryn had kept it brief. Besides, he was still trying to find the right balance of being friendly yet still someone to respect and he found too many personal stories started to lean toward one and not the other.

It seemed like Ereben wasn't much of a fan of personal stories anyway given the very short and to the point introduction. T'ryn decided not to press for more information. It wasn't his place to judge someone and he had several friends that were introverted and hated sharing more than they absolutely had to. He had only offered to give Ereben a ride if he needed it and that was all Ereben seemed interested in as well. No harm in giving a stranger a lift. Unless he murdered someone and you are helping him escape. T'ryn slide his gaze to his dragon briefly and then back to Ereben. I doubt he's the Weyr killer, or a killer of anyone for that matter. Stop being dramatic. You almost died. I will be dramatic and protective if I want to be.

"Syrendryth and I are happy to take you to High Reaches," T'ryn replied to Ereben as he ignored the bronze beast that was still grumbling in his mind. "Did you want the Hold or Weyr? What brings you up that way?" Syrendryth finally fell silent and shifted into the best position for a passenger to climb up him. T'ryn pointed out the spots that would assist in the climb and promised it wouldn't hurt Syrendryth either since he learned a couple of his Hold friends had been stressed over that worry for years.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 23.Mar.23

As Syrendryth knelt, Ereben's jaw slightly dropped. He was...he was about to ride a dragon. Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoooaaaaaaaa. This was happening? All of his Turns alive, running from Holders who called on dragons to chase Holdless... there was a part of him that was absolutely elated with the idea of taking to the skies aboard this creature. And part of him, the part of him that was wary about everything nowadays, that said this was still a bad idea.

The dragon could always decide to just drop him in flight.

No, no, Ereben...Ereben was a decent judge of character and he didn't think this T'ryn, or his dragon, were like that. They didn't give off that vibe, the one that always itched Ereben somewhere in the back of his head when he thought someone was being distrustful. Because Ereben met a lot of those people.

"Weyr," Ereben answered. After listening to T'ryn to describe where to grab on to mount, he did so with a deftness of age and the arrogance of that same thing as well. When T'ryn asked why, Ereben paused.

And went with a lie.

"My family lives there. I was...visiting family. Other family. I don't like them much." Okay, so half of it was a lie. He _had_ been with family and he didn't like them and while someone might eventually say that young Ereben was looking to create a new family that fit him, he didn't buy into that sentimental crap.

It wasn't until he was settled between the ridges that Ereben wondered if dragons could smell lies.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 26.Mar.23

He's lying. Probably, T'ryn replied, having noted the brief pause but also finding it odd that Ereben was now offering up more details all of a sudden. He still didn't think the kid was a murderer--He could be a thief and likely wasn't a thief either--as he felt he was a decent judge of character. You like to see the best in people, it's why you're now thinking he's a victim and you need to protect him, Syrendryth both loved and hated that part of his bonded, but because it was such an integral part of T'ryn, he didn't try to talk the man out of the decision. Instead, he took to the sky once both passengers were strapped in.

"Since you're not dressed for a trip between and it's not too long of a flight, we'll bring you up to the Weyr just by wings. I'll also have to bring you to Weyrsecond A'dis when we arrive so he knows you're back," or arriving for the first time, T'ryn thought. If Ereben was in a bad situation, he was confident the Weyr would take him in. If High Reaches wouldn't, then he would make sure they took him at Telgar. There were a few perks to being a Weyrsecond, after all.

There were several questions he wanted to ask but doubted he would get answers. Some of the questions would also give away that he didn't buy the story he had been fed and a panicked passenger on a dragon so high up was not something he wanted to deal with. Instead, T'ryn pointed out some landmarks he knew as he, at least, was still fascinated by how different an area could look from the sky when compared to the usual view on the ground. Maybe Ereben would appreciate it as well.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 31.Mar.23

Ereben definitely didn't mind that they were flying straight. He had never been between, that weird thing that dragons did to get from one place to another, but he wasn't eager to give it a try either. He nodded to T'ryn that he understood why they were taking a long flight but his mind was going a million miles a minute over the experience.

He placed one hand cautiously on Syrendryth's hide, trying to feel what a dragon felt like without making it look like he was doing so. It was oddly...soft. He had always thought that dragons were scaly like tunnel snakes but now he scowled in confusion at turning out to be wrong.

And then the dragon took off, up and up and up, high, high, higher.

Ereben's face split into a big smile.

He was FLYING!

A laugh escaped his mouth before he could stop it. This was unreal! He was really flying on the back of a dragon and he was going somewhere new where he could start over! No more stealing, no more eating scraps, no more being beaten for being himself, no more hiding in shadows and caves. No more of any of that shit.

As T'ryn pointed out various landmarks, the smile did not leave Ereben's face. He took it all in. It was amazing! It wasn't until they approached the peaks of High Reaches that Ereben said, "That's...that's the Weyr?" He was so stunned with its size that he totally didn't realize that he had probably just given himself away with that question.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 01.Apr.23

After instructing Syrendryth to inform the watch dragon they were going to do a lazy circling of the Weyr to show their young friend, T'ryn decided it was better to just get the talk over with before they touched down after all. Someone would surely run back over to greet him again upon landing and he would lose the chance to try for more information out of Ereben before simply passing him off on M'ris or A'dis. He just couldn't ferry someone into another Weyr and abandon him like it wasn't his problem. Maybe he was a bleeding heart; was that really such a bad thing?

"The first time seeing a Weyr is always overwhelming," T'ryn's tone was conversational as he did his best to not spook Ereben or have him think he was being judged or accused of anything. "I grew up in a forest on the southern continent in what we called Katila and I was fourteen when we came North and I saw a Weyr for the first time. It was the first time I saw a horse as well," he added on with a little chuckle as he remembered his own reaction and that of his friends and siblings. He was proud of Mylorah for accepting the beast now, even if she said she didn't trust them.

He took in the view again himself, but as memories of a time when he would sneak into the closed Weyrs with Casa started to take over, T'ryn cleared his throat and turned his attention back to Ereben. "I can take you back to Telgar Weyr with me," he offered softly. "I can get you a job, get you into Candidacy if you're interested." He could help get Ereben both of those in High Reaches as well--probably. But he had to make the offer all the same.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 16.Apr.23

Ereben was only listening with half an ear as T'ryn talked about being at a Weyr for the first time. Mostly because, yes, it was overwhelming but it was so COOL! There were dragons all over the place -- green, blue, brown, a few other bronze ones. Was that a gold one? Yeah, that was a gold one! Wow! Ereben had heard that gold ones were really rare.

The Holdless kid starting counting dragons absently as they circled and then stopped because he just kept finding more and wait -- what did T'ryn just say about a Candidate?

A job? Candidacy? Telgar?

A few things hit Ereben at once. The first was that T'ryn was offering to take him somewhere else. Ereben had said High Reaches because he figured no one would look for him there but would someone look for him at Telgar? Probably not. No, no one would look for him where the dragons were. So it didn't really matter which Weyr he went to. His dirtbag dad wasn't going to be looking for him. So High Reaches was fine.

But a job? A Candidate? Those words... Ereben could stay?? No more stealing, no more running, and he had a shot at being a dragonrider?

Ereben straightened and twisted to look at T'ryn's face to see if the dragonrider was lying. Nah, didn't look like it. "Here's fine but what do I gotta do to be a Candidate?" he asked. The possibility of having something that wasn't going to get him kicked out was alluring. And weren't dragonriders like...different? Liked boys and stuff? The whip marks on Ereben's back twinged for just a moment.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 18.Apr.23

T'ryn's lips twitched as he tried not to grin at Ereben as he gave himself further away by saying High Reaches was fine instead of sticking with his story that family was here. His desire to help the younger man grew and he didn't think S'far could complain if he showed up with his own random find from a forest. Maybe Ereben and Ch'es would even become friends with what T'ryn assumed was a shared background of living conditions.

"Truthfully, if you come to Telgar with me, I can wave away the Search dragon approval and get you right in. I can try to do that here as well. Weyrleader M'ris is pretty cool and Weyrsecond A'dis and I have helped each other out before." He didn't think either man would put up a fuss since Candidates were always needed and T'ryn was still convinced Ereben wasn't a murderer on the run so he probably wasn't inviting danger into a Weyr.

"As for what you would do after that, you would help out with daily chores like the other Candidates until you get closer to a Hatching and your full attention is put on lessons and preparing for that." Since he had Impressed in Katila at his first Hatching at the age of twelve, T'ryn had never truly experienced the life of a Candidate. The basic idea was still the same but Katila was its own world with its own rules, but he had seen enough of the life in Weyrs at this point that he was comfortable in explaining what Ereben could look forward to. He knew a lot more of the intricacies of the back end of things now as well since his promotion but Ereben likely wouldn't be interested in all of that.

"But if you're ready, we'll land and I'll introduce you to some people and even help you get settled in if you'd like." Was this how his dad felt after a Search? R'nd always seemed to form a friendship of some sort with the Candidates he brought in and checked up on them regularly. When he was younger, that made T'ryn envious of those kids since R'nd didn't know he had children of his own yet but now, the bronzerider was starting to understand. He didn't just want to toss someone into a whole new world and never look back. He wanted to make sure Ereben knew someone still cared and would have his back if needed.

It also made T'ryn give one more little nudge to Telgar. "Telgar Weyr will be a lot warmer than here, just in case you like your toes," he gave a light laugh to let Ereben know he was teasing about the toes--he hoped. At least he hadn't heard of anyone getting frostbite in the first few months the Weyr was open.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 18.Apr.23

Ereben seemed to mull all of this over, judging by the way the initial elation had left his face. His eyes still drank in the sight of the Weyr. Could this...this could be it. A new start. He could have a shot at being a dragonrider. Or just live here with the dragons. He didn't mind chores. He had never had formal learning so he didn't really understand the concept of lessons. Or this whole thing could be too good to be true. Maybe. But anywhere was better than hiding in a cave with the other Holdless, starving, getting beaten. He could do this.

And keep his toes.

But first, he figured he better come clean. Just in case. He wasn't going to get his hopes up only to have them discover something that would get him kicked out later on. Better to get that out of the way now, when the dragonrider could just drop him off somewhere else if so. He twisted again to look squarely at T'ryn. "I lied," he said with no remorse and his chin tilted up with a hint of defiance. Call me out, dare you, that look said. Call me out when you haven't walked in my shoes, when you don't see the scars on my back.

"I'm not from High Reaches," he said. "I'm not from anywhere. I ran away. I...my dad was beating me and...I'm Holdless. So if I can't be here because of that, fine. But if I can, I want to. I want to be anywhere but where I was."

There, all cards out on the table. Judge him as you wanted. Ereben was going to make a new life somewhere, somehow.

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - T'ryn - 19.Apr.23

"I figured," T'ryn confessed in return when Ereben said he had lied. His tone was gentle and he gave the boy time to speak and share what he felt was necessary. But when he heard that Ereben was beat regularly by his own dad, T'ryn had to work from keeping his mouth shut by pressing it into a thin line before he asked where to find the man. He wasn't violent, at all, and some of his siblings sometimes got into fist fights with each other but it wasn't a beating and it certainly never came from any of their parents. 

He silently asked Syrendryth to land on an upper ledge so they could continue to talk in private and not worry about the wind. Once they touched down, T'ryn made no move to dismount but did place a hand gently on Ereben's shoulder. "No one is going to care if you're Holdless and you'll be safe and looked after in the Weyrs, Ereben." He gave the shoulder a light squeeze and dropped his hand away with a sigh. "They're not perfect and I can't say that no one is ever beat, because some brownriders and even bronzeriders look down on greenriders and... use them as they see fit. I also can't say I know what goes on in the lower caverns with the lower ranked either as everyone behaves when they see me show up but Candidates have some respect and those that should be looking out for you won't be lifting a hand against you." 

He let the information sit with Ereben for a bit as they both looked out over the Weyr. Syrendryth was growing bored but T'ryn also felt some pride for how he was stepping up and being a kindhearted leader. Finally, he broke the silence. "Last chance to come back to Telgar with me, although you can ask to transfer at any time if you and your toes don't like it here. Otherwise, I'll take you down to meet Weyrsecond A'dis, but you have to promise me you'll tell him about your dad as well. Trust me on this." He didn't know for certain but there had always been rumours that the older bronzerider was on the receiving end of his dad's punches and it may have been slightly manipulative of him, but T'ryn wanted to guarantee Ereben would be safe in High Reaches and have another strong ally.

"Ready? And are we going up or down?"

RE: 744.02.03 | Anywhere But Here - Ereben - 23.Apr.23

Ereben flinched when T'ryn touched his shoulder and started to twist away, his face distrusting, but he paused, realizing that he didn't really have room to run and that the bronzerider was trying to be nice. No one would care that he was Holdless? Really? Okay, so maybe there was a pecking order but Ereben could deal with that, trump that, whatever. And he didn't think he was going be a greenrider. Those were girl dragons, that he knew, and he wasn't a girl person so he wasn't going to be a green's rider.

It made sense to him at least.

But Candidates got respect? No one lifting a hand against him? Ereben's expression turned pensive. Telgar or High Reaches? No, he wasn't going to be indecisive. He said High Reaches and he was going to stick with it. He didn't anyone was going to be looking for him here, not this high up in the mountains, and that worked just fine. Besides, if T'ryn was right, one Weyr was as good as another and Ereben wasn't the type to cling to someone (especially someone he had just met) in order to figure out how to navigate a new place.

He didn't like the idea of having to tell this other Weyrsecond about his scars but he'd fess up. Just as long as no one asked him names or locations because Ereben didn't want justice or vengeance or any of that. He wanted a new life.

So when he looked back at T'ryn, there was convinction in his young eyes. "Down," he said decisively.

He'd carve his own path in this new Weyr.