World of Pern
[G] [C] 743.08.03| Walk Along the Path Unknown - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Telgar Weyr Boundaries (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=109)
+--- Forum: Telgar Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=118)
+--- Thread: [G] [C] 743.08.03| Walk Along the Path Unknown (/showthread.php?tid=5286)

743.08.03| Walk Along the Path Unknown - Ch'es - 03.Aug.22

Ch'es couldn't sleep. And for once, he was grateful not to be left alone with his thoughts. Having Pardrith with him now was a constant second presence whose thoughts he also had to filter through and separate from his own. Thankfully, his mate's needs were simple. As it so happened, the new weyrling's intentions lined up with them perfectly.

Feeling the irritation of sand sticking to the oil in hard-to-reach places himself, it took little encouragement to have the dark bronze hatchling follow him into the baths. At this hour, the majority of his classmates had already succumbed to exhaustion, so they were left to their own devices in the quiet comfort of the steamy pools.

It was a relief to not need to communicate. Ch'es had so many thoughts crowding his head that it was a gift to simply bask in his dragon's presence and share in personal grooming without struggle.

Using a soaked cloth, the boy rubbed Pardrith everywhere from behind his ears to the creases between his legs until he was completely free of sandy debris. Under his bare feet, sand gathered along the bottom of the baths reminiscent of a silty lake. He found comfort in that, too.

With a purr, Pardrith lounged along a set of steps in the bath while Ch'es worked on bathing himself next. The young dragon nibbled at his boy's curls with affection, earning soft smiles and equally adoring chin scratches.

You're still worried about Sironar.

There was no use denying it. Yes.

Pardrith bent to dunk his mouth beneath the water to nibble at his front claws, certain there was invisible sand stuck there between his toes despite Ch'es's careful attentions there. Don't. You'll make it right.

The boy wasn't sure how his bonded had so much faith.

Hearing the doubts, the bronze pulled his head out of the water with a loud snort. Because you're mine, he pointed out simply.

Even if no real solution had been offered, that Pard automatically assumed he could right any perceived wrong between himself and his friend went a long way in soothing the worst of his concerns. Finishing up with his bath, Chir propped himself up on the edge of the pool before swinging his legs out to drag over a pot of oil and another rag.

You'll need another bath, the hatchling commented with amusement.

I don't mind Ch'es reassured, dipping a fresh rag into the vat to slide it across his thigh first. He waited to see if there was any burning sensation, earning his dragon's curious stare. Sensing the unasked question, he explained. Someone has been hurting dragons and their riders. Some of them were badly burned by oil. I just want to make sure it won't hurt you.

Pardrith suddenly dipped his head down to bite his arm, causing a flare of pain to his boy in response. Ch'es dropped the rag in surprise and looked over at Pardrith with shock. Don't test it on yourself, the hatchling pointed out gruffly.

Sheepishly, Ch'es rubbed at the back of his head. Right. I forgot. But as there was no burning sensation accompanying the application of oil, he stepped closer to begin the process of oiling Pardrith's hide after his bath. Pard waited until the last possible moment to stand out of the water completely to allow Ch'es to finish his task.

Clean and freshly oiled, Pardrith waited impatiently for Ch'es to slick the oil from his skin - again - so he could get a late night (or early morning, rather) snack before they finally bedded down. He could sense his boy's exhaustion right alongside his own, and it seemed the physical tasks had worn his busy mind down enough to feel it.

After scarfing down another hearty meal - helpfully supplied by a waiting attendant - Ch'es led Pardrith to an open spot in the barracks. After observing his siblings settled beside the feather beds in hollows of straw, the dark bronze snorted. Already expecting a different sleeping arrangement, Ch'es smiled sleepily and held out a hand in offering. Wherever Pardrith chose, he'd join him.

Of course, the hatchling climbed his thin frame right up on the softer bed and curled at the top of it, leaving space enough for Ch'es to rest his head against him. This isn't going to work forever.

Then you'll need to pad my spot with furs and join me there instead.

Ch'es chuffed with amusement, knowing the hatchling had plucked the very thought right from his head. I will. Quiet now. You'll wake the others.

Since his boy was already asleep by the time his head rested against him, Pardrith had no difficulty settling his own head across Ch'es's shoulder and joining him in slumber.