World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Damage Assessment [Sanderon]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
I'shan walked rigidly down the hallway, his usually lively footsteps echoing far less than usual. He was strongly aware of the bronzerider walking lightly behind him, pace both casual and guarded. I'shan swallowed hard. The Weyrleader was right behind him, here to assess his work!

It wasn't just a job anymore, though. He'd become attached to Sanderon, partially but not solely out of a feeling of responsibility. Sand had the potential to be a good kid, he thought. Well, a good dragonrider. He already was a good kid, and shards, one of B'jin's searchees got a pass after trying to kill himself. Surely Sand would be rehabilitated from one outburst, right?

I'shan hoped so. He felt bad keeping the kid locked up, and he really wanted to see one of his boys succeed for a change. Well, Valerian was quite a success in most ways, but it sucked to see the kid struggling with the same issue I'shan had been struggling with as of late.

In a way, I'shan was thankful for the troubles. It brought him closer to both, but it also made him anxious for their well-being.

"Right this way, Weyrleader," I'shan said softly. He knocked on he door, then unlocked it and entered.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

D'ren followed, stepping lightly past the smaller man and nodding a greeting to Sanderon. "That'll be enough, I'shan. Go back to the Weyr proper and inform N'gelt of my whereabouts," D'ren said. He could have just had Ronarth do that, but he wanted it made very clear that I'shan was not to remain on the island. N'gelt would restrain I'shan from returning against D'ren's wishes, which he was almost guaranteed to try to do otherwise.

I'shan frowned and bowed his head slightly. "Yes, sir," he said warily before turning to leave. Ilv..tell Sanderon that I said good luck he said as he glanced hopefully over his shoulder, flashing a nervous smile at the boy before closing the door behind him.

Ilveriath didn't get a chance to. Before he could speak, Ronarth ordered him silent. He didn't understand why he'd been told to make the command, so helpfully, he bespoke Sanderon instead. Ilveriath wanted to talk to you, but D'ren told me not to let him. I don't know why, but I think it has to do with how D'ren thinks they are troublemakers. I don't think they are, though. I'shan just likes to play, and Ilveriath is nice. He's mad at me now, though, and won't talk to me. I think I may have scared him. I didn't mean to! But I'shan is scared of D'ren now too, so maybe I'shan being scared is making Ilveriath scared. I don't know. D'ren doesn't want I'shan to be scared of him, just to respect him, but he thinks I'shan doesn't respect anyone because this one time he climbed out a window to keep from getting in trouble an-

Ronath, what are you doing to that boy?!

Talking

A long pause. ...Please stop.

D'ren rubbed his forehead. Sweet Faranth, this day was already exhausting. "Good afternoon, Sanderon," D'ren said, thankful for the cool air outside but already uncomfortably warm inside. He'd always had a hard time keeping himself cool, and even autumn in this damn climate was downright unpleasant at times. The bronzerider wiped his forehead on one shirt sleeve and seated himself at the table near Sand's bed.

"It's been a while, Sanderon. I've come to check in and see how you are feeling." He smiled, but he didn't make any comments on the reports he'd received yet. He already knew the story from Talian and I'shan's perspectives. Now he wanted to hear it from Sand, without their input. The bronzerider was content to listen, soft eyes studying the young man who looked healthier but somehow less potent than he had only two months before.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
Sanderon heard the dual footsteps. He knew one of them belonged to I'shan. The other one though... was a mystery. He had no idea who might be coming to see him. The steps did not remind him of Talian's, so he doubted they were his.

Who came through his door though when I'shan opened it was the last person he had expected to see. Standing up from his bunk, he faced the weyrleader and bowed his head respectfully. "Sir." He said with calm respect as his mind suddenly filled with Ronarth's endless chatter. He saw I'shan leave without a word and Ilveriath did not come forth with any word either. Ronarth's explained the reason why and it was confusing but accepted for now.

As the bronze kept prattling on, his gaze was turned towards the wall past D'ren where he felt the bronze's direction might be. At the last words about how I'shan jumped out a window rather than face the weyrleader caused an amused half-smirk to raise one corner of his mouth and his eyes brightened a little as he imagined what that might have looked like.

Ronarth's words stopped abruptly and after a long pause, where he looked back to D'ren the weyrleader rubbed his forehead. He looked tired. He always seemed to look tired now that Sanderon thought back on the times he had seen the man before. Running a chaotic weyr would break a lessor man in a day. He did not fault the man for being exhausted at all, if that is what he was.

In silence he waited for D'ren to speak first.

After a greeting, Sanderon replied, "Good afternoon to you too Sir." He wondered briefly if he should say anything else. He decided to wait again for D'ren. It seemed like the wisest course. When the man took a seat at the table Sanderon took a few steps closer but remained standing. He was surprisingly calm in heart but tense in body. It would be the tactical advantage to already be standing should anything occur. It was his hunter training coming to the fore again. Part of hunting was surviving in the wild. Any new situation or unexpected event must be analyzed, understood and reacted to in a proper way. Right now, Sanderon was in his analyzing step. He wasn't quite sure he understood the reason for D'ren's surprise visit.

"It's been a while, Sanderon. I've come to check in and see how you are feeling."

Understanding came and with it, Sanderon reacted. Pulling out the chair across from D'ren he kept his gaze upon the man and sat.

"Yes sir. It seems like it has been a lifetime. I trust the weyr is doing well? ....Is Lymsleia well?" Sanderon did not answer how he was feeling just yet. He wanted to get his first concern out of the way first.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Sanderon's behavior pleased D'ren, at least for the most part. The young man seemed much more composed and level-headed than last time, though D'ren was no fool. He knew that in their previous encounters, Sanderon had been in the middle of serious emotional outbursts. The bronzerider also knew that a calm person was a much better actor than a person in the middle of a breakdown. The exterior was a good sign, and D'ren hoped that his optimism wasn't misplaced, but he reminded himself that it could always be an act.

Time would tell. While he didn't ignore the possibility, for now D'ren would give Sanderon the benefit oft the doubt.

"The Weyr is faring well enough," he replied. "And Lymsleia has recovered  physically, though she's been unusually quiet lately." Lym was a chronic troublemaker, though D'ren hated that the girl had run in to such bad luck. He wished she would learn to behave on her own and apply her energy in a positive way, rather that causing trouble all the time.

That was his hope for Sanderon, too.

"And how have you been? Has I'shan taken good care of you?" The question wasn't just a social one; Sanderon's reply would tell a lot about how the young man was coping and how his attitude towards dragonriders was evolving. I'shan was an important subject as well, since he was the one responsible for Sandeorn's kidnapping. Sanderon would judge him more harshly than the rest, but his extremes were important to keep an eye on.

D'ren waited, a hopeful expression creeping onto his rapidly-aging face.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Hearing a good report about the weyr pleased Sanderon, surprisingly. Though he did not outwardly show it. The only change in expression came when D'ren said that Lymsleia was unusually quiet. A quick smirk came and he spoke impulsively, "Quiet? Finally something good has happened."

Sobering quickly when he realized just how un-funny the whole thing was, his smile disappeared and he spoke again. "Sorry. That wasn't funny."

Hearing the questions about how he was and I'shan's care, he looked towards the closed door and thought deeply before speaking. He was still somewhat conflicted about how he truly felt about the man. He did know about the quality of care he had received though and he spoke truthfully when he finally spoke.

"I don't get furious anymore and I sleep a little better now. Maybe it is because I am not being tormented on a daily basis. Will I snap again? I hope not." He added. He did not give D'ren a long answer for how he was doing for he did not know how much the man really wanted to know. But he was trying to be as honest as he could. But yet again, he did not know why. D'ren was the man behind the order that ripped him from his family in the first place. Why he was cooperating now and having fellow feeling for the man, he had no clue. But he trusted in his gut so he went with it, hoping it would turn out okay.

After a brief pause he turned his words towards answering D'ren's second question.

"I'shan confuses me." He said honestly. "But his care has been...good. I have not wanted for anything."

Except sunshine, he thought but he did not say it aloud. There were a few occasions, after the meal that I'shan had prepared special for him, that the rider had let him outside again. Each time was wonderful. Just feeling the sun and breeze upon his face brightened his whole day. But having learned from Ilveriath that it was against the rules for I'shan to let him out of his room even once, he kept that to himself. 

With a frown beginning to crease his young brow, he looked D'ren in they eyes and spoke from the heart. "I hate the fact that I was stolen from my family. I still hate it. But I'm tired of being hateful all the time. It sent me somewhere I never want to go again."

Sanderon's eyes hinted at his inner regret. His words were low and clear. He was still a strong individual. His spirit had not been broken. But he had done a lot of growing up.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

D'ren was very patient. He listened to Sanderon's words, carefully appraising each syllable, each twitch of the fingers, and each intonation. The young man seemed controlled and serious, even sincere, though D'ren was unwilling to say that for certain yet.

He reached out to Ronarth. Ilveriath is a search dragon, and I've asked him to watch the young man's mind closely. What does he have to say about the situation?

Ronarth was reluctant to call on Ilveriath after speaking so harshly with him, but he consented just the same. D'ren gave them time to chat, using the lull in his own conversation with Ronarth to properly reply to Sanderon.

"I regret that this had to be done, son," he replied, falling into his habit of protecting the young. He felt responsible for everyone at Katila, but the stolen northerners most of all. At least the rest weren't actually there in the south by his own order. The stolens were.

"I don't expect any blame to be placed on anyone but myself for that. It's not I'shan's fault that you're here, nor any other searchrider's fault. I selected them all myself, and quite a few of them were displeased." I'shan, as D'ren recalled, had only been uncomfortable. The naive little bluerider didn't quite realize what he was signing up for at the time, or more properly put, being signed up for.

"It's a matter of survival for us," he said. He wasn't willing to plunge deep into whys and hows just yet. He'd given Sanderon and numerous others the same explanation time and time again. That didn't fix the wrongs committed, but why continue to talk about it if there was nothing left to say? He smiled sadly, sympathetic for the young man, though apologetic only for the pain he'd caused...not for the act itself. Anything was worth the continued survival of dragonkind, but the stolens were certainly owed something in compensation..something D'ren couldn't give them or even identify properly until they were safely home again. That was something that required their cooperation.

"It's a messed up situation, son. But I'll stand by my decision until the day I die. It wasn't done to cause pain, it was done because we had no other choice. But just the same...I'm going to fix this one day. All of us are going to fix this. I hope you'll be on board."

D'ren! Ilveriath says he believes Sanderon is stable.

A relieved expression appeared on D'ren's face. "Good..." he sighed out loud. He adjusted himself in his seat, then smiled genuinely at Sanderon. "So  I want to ask you this, son...grievances aside, are you willing to work with us? The sooner everyone works together and looks in the same direction, the sooner all of us can go home..."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Sanderon listened and watched D'ren very carefully. Some of the words he had heard before. 'It was all for their survival'. It was interesting though when the weyrleader asked if he was willing to cooperate. He knew what he wanted to say at this point but he refrained. Instead he thought long and hard.

The drastic change in D'ren's attitude towards him at the end of the man's words made him wonder what it meant. Good? What was good, he wondered. He had many questions. Seeing as how he had a very rare opportunity to speak with the weyrleader away from others ears, he would ask.

"I have heard that being stolen from my family was for the survival of the dragons. I get that and I think I can respect it as well. What I don't get is why I couldn't say goodbye first. I would have come willingly if I could have said my farewell. Being thought of as a failure or dead by those I respected more than life itself..." He shook his head unwilling to complete that thought. "I'd like to know why. I was chosen as worthy to stand for dragon eggs. Why couldn't I share that honor with my family? I just don't get it. Why the secrecy? ....And why do you call me Son?" He added as an afterthought.

And why did it not hurt when D'ren called him Son but when others did, it made him frustrated? He did not know.

"Do you have a Son?" He asked. "And would he have supported the Weyr....like I will?"

Yes, Sanderon would cooperate. Crazy as his anger had been and his will to get away, Sanderon wanted to see peace. There had been way too much chaos, and part of it, he had caused himself. He did not want to be part of the problem. "I want to be part of the solution. I will protect the weyr. I will hunt for it too, if someday I'm trusted enough to do so."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Ah, there it was. The question D'ren didn't know how to answer.

The secrecy had played a large role in the dragonriders' extended exile. Tsuen, in all her questionable ways, had forbidden the riders to make themselves known to the outside world from the very start. The order had been in place before D'ren became the legitimate Weyrleader. He understood the provisional Weyrleader's reluctance to protest, but he often questioned his own.

His power had been fragile in those days, back when he was new and Tsuen had been, for turns, the only true authority in the Weyr. Things has changed since then. Everyone now realized what a poor leader she was. She had no real power anymore, not with D'ren's relative success and her own popularity. She only had any real power in one area, but sadly, it was the one area that mattered most where going home was concerned.

Nirinath could ground the dragons.

"It's complicated," D'ren confessed. "At first, we stayed here in secret because Nirinath failed to rise. We figured if we were going to die, we may as well die here together and not burden the world with it. When she finally did, though...well...things were still tenuous. For everyone." Himself included. He still remembered how small he felt.

"Tsuen proposed stealing. I was green...untested, and didn't want to risk destroying everything by starting a political screaming match with her over it. That doesn't mean I blame her over myself, however," he said.

There was more to the story, but not something he could talk to anyone about. Anyone.

"...In short, I agreed on the basis of necessity. Dragonriders were liked by the common folk back home, but never much by the Lords and Masters. We expected if we returned home without building ourselves up, we'd be hedged out before we could get a foothold. We can't go home until our wounds have healed."

He finally managed to smile again. "We have two queens now, Sanderon. I hope that the day we can fly strong again will be soon."

Then, a much more pleasant question. "I hadn't noticed, actually. I suppose it's a habit of mine," he confessed. "And no. I don't have a son. I always wanted children, but things have gotten in my way over the turns. I didn't have any back at home, but last spring I was fortunate enough to finally have my first. It's a little girl," he said. He warmed up immediatly at mention of Tsereni. "I hope one day she will grow up to be a part of a better, stronger Weyr...back at home."

"I'm glad to hear that, Sanderon. I'shan and Talian both gave you favorable reports."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Rubbing the knuckles of his left hand slowly with the thumb of his right hand, Sanderon rested both upon the table and continued to listen. His heart was calm but his mind, as usual was very busy observing everything around him and thinking very much on everything he was hearing. Though his mind was very active, his demeanor did not look frantic. It, like his heart, was calm. He liked being calm. Being furious and frustrated all the time for the last nearly two turns, had been extremely tiring. It made him very unhappy as well and caused him to make very stupid mistakes.

Sanderon shifted in his hard wooden seat looking for a slightly more comfortable position. Not finding one, he settled and listened attentively to D'ren's explaination of 'why' stealing northerners had been permitted. He had never gotten a real answer before. Either no one bothered to tell him or they skirted around the subject in such a way as to fill the air with many words but none that gave him the answer he sought.

D'ren's answer was simple, direct and to the point. Sanderon could sense there were details he was leaving out. Each man was privileged to have his own secrets or views, so he did not mind so much.

After analyzing the weyrleader's words very carefully, Sanderon was surprised with himself. Now that he understood, it was surprising that he could now put it behind him with such ease. Why didn't it make him furious? Why wasn't he throwing things around and overturning his bunk again? It was because, the answer in its simple truth, gave him what he had needed so badly; The reason.

Frowning slightly because it was still a sensitive topic, Sanderon nodded decisively. "It wasn't a very well thought out plan, but at least I understand now. No one ever explained the reason before. I was just told to treat this as a vacation and enjoy it."

D'ren spoke of the joy of having two queens now and then went on to speak of his daughter and how he regretted not having more children. Evidently, D'ren having called him 'son' on several occasions had not been realized by the man.

"Having two queens is a very good thing. Maybe a third queen will hatch soon too. That would be good. Congratulations on you fathering a daughter. Would you like to call me son, I would be okay with that."

The first statement of the queens was given out of his hope for the future. His congratulations was well meant. Where his last statement came from though, he had no clue. It just seemed to come out of his mouth without his knowledge. His eyes widened slightly at hearing himself speak what he had, he settled and wondered what D'ren would think of what he had just said.

Talian and I'shan had given him good reports? That was very good to know. It relieved him to know he was doing okay. A slight smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"It wasn't the plan we wanted, but it was the best plan we had," D'ren corrected lightly. He could have piled the blame on Tsuen, but he just couldn't stand to. "I'm not proud of it by any stretch, but we did what we had to do in order to survive. Many of the riders don't even know the specifics behind it all, and the searchers were given no choice." He felt like his search riders at least deserved that little disclaimer, since so many of them had been the victims of backlash and lived with horrible guilt. B'jin came immediately to mind, and of course K'ren had experienced a horrible mess with Volfetti. D'ren was a little less inclined to pity I'shan, who had a way of getting into trouble no matter what. Of course he would mess searching up, too.

Of course, his dragon being injured was possibly one of the very worst incidents. That was something D'ren could have sympathy for.

"A third queen...that would be ideal, but I doubt it," he said regretfully. "The clutchfather was a brown this time, and the clutch is small. Small eggs, too. But it's not the end of the world; more blues and greens to bolster the ranks are never a bad thing, and the father is a sturdy dragon."

The next part caused the aging man to raise a brow a smile. He called plenty of people 'son', meant more as a polite gesture than anything else, but Sanderon's receptiveness towards it still brought a smile to his face. He hoped it meant that the young man truly had reconsidered the situation and was going to stand by his word and help Katila move forward. "Don't mind if I do," he replied good-naturedly, infinity more relaxed than he had been upon entering.

"With that in mind," he continued. "I believe I'm willing to release you from the island, on the understanding that I'shan will be asked to continue keeping an eye on you for a while. If you check out after a while, you'll have your weapons returned to you and can go hunting. That's your skill, correct? That would be one of the things we brought you for. Shards knows I'shan can't hunt!" The mild joke at the end was a testament to how much better the bronzerider felt.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"It wasn't the plan we wanted, but it was the best plan we had."

Sanderon did not believe that for a second. There had to have been a better way. But, since he couldn't think of one himself at the moment, he let it go with only a quick moment of irritation sparking in his dark eyes before they calmed again.

Hearing that his comment about having D'ren call him 'son' went well, he was somewhat relieved. The man seemed to even relax and enjoy the idea of it. Hearing that he might be allowed to leave the island though had just the opposite effect than the one he thought he'd have. He was not relieved at all as he was sure he would be. He was...nervous.

Being surprised by his own thoughts and feelings about it, he turned his serious frown to D'ren.

"The fact that I might be able to hunt soon is something I have longed to hear for a long time. It is not just my skill. It was my way of life. But..." He ran a nervous hand through his hair and sat up straighter. Wiping his hands dry on the thighs of his pants, he returned them to the table in front of him as he tried to sort his thoughts.

Turning his gaze away from D'ren and onto his hands he began to rub his knuckles again in a slightly quicker pace.

"There is something you should know Sir." He began. A quick glance to D'ren and he was looking down at his hands again as he tried to choose which words to use. "I only tried to escape once. The other times were not what they appeared to be."

Letting that sink in, he took a breath of courage and continued. He hoped D'ren would take this well. Seeing as how this might be his only opportunity to speak to the weyrleader without 'ears' overhearing, he took the opportunity to open up.

"The first time I headed away to live on my own. It was poorly planned and did not last long obviously for I was found that very hour. The times after that, I headed out with the hope of just a day or two to escape the..." He frowned deeply. "Pain."

With the memories of his tormentors cruelty towards him he shook his head to clear it so he could continue to speak. "Maybe we all have our tormentors at the weyr to some degree. No one in their right mind would try to make your life a living nightmare I hope. But for some 'nobody' stolen from the North who shot an arrow into a dragon...nobody thought twice about it. Not one person that saw what was going on offered to help. I was completely on my own. Every single day I had to deal with them and everyone turning a blind eye. I was told to quit whining and just be glad for my circumstances. I'shan even told me to treat it like a vacation shortly after I was stolen. I couldn't deal with that. I just wanted a moment of peace. Just one day. Not even that was given. Instead I became public display for everyone to glare at and laugh over."

His voice got very quiet then and he seemed to speak mostly to himself, "Tortured just because I wanted peace."  Shaking his head slowly, he added slightly louder, "I couldn't tell anyone the true reason why I kept 'escaping' or the bullying would get so much worse. Can't get much worse than a public lashing though, can it?" The question was rhetorical.

Running a slightly shaky hand through his hair, he sighed heavily and finally meeting D'ren's gaze, he continued. "I will return to the weyr if you think me ready. But the idea of it makes me... nervous. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just can't promise that I won't. If that changes your mind about me, that's fine. I just thought you should know."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

D'ren continued to listen intently. He'd heard plenty of sob stories from northerners by now. He'd heard it all, but unlike many of his more selfish riders, he didn't think the fact that there were a lot of them made them any less sincere or important. It disappointed D'ren to hear that Sanderon had been so badly mistreated. The kind bronzerider didn't doubt the truth in Sanderon's words, though he was slightly off-put by the dramatic tone. He figured some part of the young man was grasping for sympathy, which D'ren didn't necessarily mind, but he hardly found necessary.

"Sanderon," he said, lifting one hand to politely request silence. "I'm sorry to hear you've been mistreated. That means I've failed you. Unfortunately, dragonriders can sometimes be prone to prejudices, and turns of misfortune have made many of our hearts hard," he said. He sighed. "It doesn't excuse it, but it's something I'm working to curb. We have all been through quite a lot, and after spending fifteen turns merely scratching for survival, it's hard to think about anyone's misfortunat but your own." He spoke slowly and dourly. He didn't like the attitude problem that ran wild among his riders, but like the melancholy of the stolen northerners, he found it hard to fault them for it.

"It's not your fault that your complaints were ignored, but in the future, you should appeal to higher authorities until someone does listen," he said, tone deepening and filled with firmness. It was like a parent speaking to their child; this was how he talked to almost everyone. That's how he viewed the people around him...his responsibility. His children. "Even if you have to bring it all the way to me."

"As for running away..." he said, the corners of his mouth sagging a bit as he thought over the explanation. "Leaving the weyr is perfectly allowed, Sanderon, so long as you either inform someone you are going or don't stay out an unreasonable amount of him. That's something you would have known if you'd taken the time to ask." He wasn't accusing, but simply factual. Plenty of people, riders and nonriders alike, left the weyr for various reasons all the time. If they were still missing when the sun went down, well..that was an issue.

"Well, hopefully that sort of thing won't be necessary in the future." He finally smiled, relieved to put the ugly business behind them. "Ask before leaving. I'shan will be instructed to watch over you for an undetermined amount of time, just to make sure everything is well," the bronzerider said. His smile brightened. "How does tomorrow morning sound?"

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)