World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

730.01.12 | Some Catching Up to Do (Anyone welcome)

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
D'ren moved into the dining hall at a slow but deliberate pace. He was a little on the stiff side after several hours sitting at a desk, but it was well worth it. His paperwork was finally finished, though he imagined it would be magically replaced by more in a few days. He'd meant to come down for dinner at a more normal hour, but time had a way of escaping him when he set his mind to a task...especially monotonous tasks. He didn't like paperwork, but sitting down and getting it out of the way was better than just skirting around it...besides, he was Weyrleader. If he didn't get his work done promptly, it was the end of the world.

Of course, his little break that morning had put him behind by an hour or so, but it was good for him in the long run. He'd developed a habit of front-loading his mornings. Spreading the work out and adding a few short breaks in between was a bit contrary to his instincts, but it was proving good for him overall. It left him less stressed and exhausted at the end of the day.

I couldn't do it Ronarth confessed. I know your work bores you terribly. If it were me, I would probably just stop.

Well, I can't exactly do that, pet D'ren replied affectionately. But it's worth it. It's not exactly fun, but it means things will keep running smoothly. Besides, he wouldn't catch a wink of sleep if he knew he still had unfinished duties!

He looked over the food with distaste. Of course everything was going to be a bit cold; there were still a few lingering diners in the room, but most people had already eaten their meal and retreated to their quarters for the night. D'ren was among the stragglers this evening.

He quickly got himself a meal and had a seat. He didn't bother approaching the raised table where he took most of his meals; there weren't many people around to impress, and besides, the bronzerider was a touch modest and didn't really care for the special treatment. He just wanted to do his part.

Well, I am happy you are finished Ronarth said. That means you will have time to oil me tomorrow, yes?

Indeed I will D'ren replied. He lifted a glass of wine to his lips and sloshed the fluid about for a moment, analyzing it's flavor. It was rather good, dry but also warm. It was a welcome way to end a productive but tiresome day.

And there's no wing practice tomorrow either...so you and I can wash and lie in the sun for as long as we like he said, speaking as if making a promise to a child. Ronarth, however, didn't mind the sentiment. He loved it. A spark of excitement went through the dragon, which rider felt dancing around in his sensory peripherals. I look forward to it Ronarth said.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
While perhaps there wasn’t anybody to Impress, there may be people to avoid. Par’a being one of them. The Hall was emptying and Par’a was running out of people to keep her company as she continued to eat her way through the evening. How she stayed even relatively in the shape of a human and not a ball of fat was anyone’s guess with the way she ate. Taking her plate with what must have been her fourth or fifth helping of food and her overly large and full glass of wine she bee-lined over to the Weyrleader, sitting across from him with a grin. For a while she said nothing, taking large mouthfuls of food and wine greedily. Having gone through almost a third of her heaped plate she paused, casting a cheeky glance up at D’ren.

“So, late to dinner tonight? Looks to me like someone’s been getting lucky!” Oh dear. Despite Par’a’s high alcohol tolerance, it seemed that tonight she was bordering on tipsy. Or perhaps Grith’s constant streams of chatter had finally gotten to her and she had snapped. Giggling as if she had just uncovered a piece of juicy gossip she took her glass of wine and swallowed the remaining half in one mouthful. Smacking her lips she grinned and continued to eat, her eyes constantly flicking up to D’ren for a reaction.

Pell where are you I want to have a swim? You eat for five thousand! Grith whined loudly along their bond, so much so that it was entirely possible that D’ren could hear her.

“Do you even know how many five thousand is?” Par’a asked aloud, which certainly would be awkward if D’ren had somehow managed not to hear Grith’s broadcasting.

It’s big! Ooh look there are pretty lights! Surprisingly, Grith’s voice left Par’a’s mind of its own accord, though she could feel the bright bubbly excitement the green was feeling as she investigated whatever the lights were.

“Hmm...” Par’a picked up her empty wine glass, pouting at it sadly. It was clear the state it was currently in did not please her in the slightest. Shoving a few more mouthfuls of food into her cavern of a mouth she looked up at D’ren, her cheeks bulging like a chipmunk’s. Holding up her wine glass she pointed at it, eyebrows raising in question. Whether she was asking if D’ren wanted more or if he would refill it for her was hard to tell, though at least she wasn’t trying to speak through all the food packed into her mouth.

[sub][feels short but I am unsure. xD enjoy the crazy Par'a and Grith :P Also is there a Pern equivalent of a chipmunk? o_O][/sub]

Code:
[span style="background-color:#011002;"][color=#12F91C]Grith's Speech[/color][/span]
Code:
[span style="background-color:#011002;"][color=#12F91C]Grith's Speech[/color][/span]

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

And there it was: the direct evidence that D'ren's stand on females riding fighting dragons was just and right.

He observed the young lady with a mixture of mild shock, grotesque amusement, and perhaps, buried deep within his chest, primal fear. This was the sort of girl that a man could smell coming; not a night huntress or anything dishonorable like that. It was something far less dangerous in flesh, but far more dangerous in mind.

A girl that never stopped talking. 

I talk a lot, too Ronarth observed smoothly. D'ren ignored him.

"...Good evening," the bronzerider said, trying his best to seem courtly. He didn't have any outright dislike for the girl and he wasn't offended, he just wasn't in the mood. He'd had a long day, after all. A little bit of peace would do him good, but be was far too polite to just turn Par'a away.

If ever our numbers grow enough for me to be picky D'ren said to Ronarth as he stared wide-eyed at the girl, coaxing himself towards response, I am going to make sure no girl ever stands for a fighting dragon again

And than, a charming if somewhat awkward smile. "Lucky? Not quite," he said. He managed to suppress his exasperation in an effort to be patient with the girl. He thought he heard another voice somewhere in the back of his mind, creating the illusion that Par'a was babbling even more than she actually was.

That is Grith Ronarth informed him. Hello, Grith!

Oh, Faranth. Now they'd made contact. The noise would never stop!

D'ren sighed, allowing his hopes of a calm, quiet dinner slip away, and resigned himself to the conversation. "I wish I was 'getting lucky', but it's just been a busy day of work," he said. He felt his face heating up a bit at the mere thought.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

[LOL I totally forgot D'ren hated female riders. Sorry this took forever! >.<]

Par'a made a strange noise in her throat, her eyes crinkling with mirth. Chewing and eventually swallowing the large mouthful of food she laughed, shaking her wine glass at him. She paused for a moment, her eyebrows drawing together into a frown as she paused to think about what she was going to say.

Pell! SWIM! I want to swim! The lights weren't that interesting you know just some little wingless ones changing those things... what do you call them? Glows! Yes indeed those things... Grith interrupted her thoughts with a shriek, causing Par'a to physically jump in her seat.

"They're called weyrbrats! Weyrbrats, Grith!" Par'a chided her both mentally and aloud with a grumble. Her focus drew back to D'ren as she attempted to ignore the increasingly loud chattering of her dragon. Thankfully Ronarth saved Par'a having to endure the ceaseless noise focused at her for much longer, though Grith's next spout of words weren't exactly… kind.

…Ronarth? It was as if one could feel Grith narrowing her eyes and curling her lips back in distaste. What do you want? Shouldn't you be off catering to your pretty little Gold? Her voice was icy and dark, a sharp contrast to her previous bubbly and light tones.

Par'a rubbed her forehead with the tips of her fingers, sighing. "You'll have to pardon her… She doesn't like Bronzes," she said to D'ren. Standing up she disappeared with her glass for a minute or so, returning with a jug of rich red wine that was almost spilling over the edges it was so full. Setting her glass down she refilled it then placed the jug to the side but slightly closer to D'ren. Gesturing to it, she spoke, her voice much calmer and even than it had been earlier. "All work and no play is no way to live. What exactly are you doing anyway, there are no Holds to bother with here." While she waited for D'ren's reply she continued to eat, still in the same ravenous manner as if she hadn't eaten for months.
Code:

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Gold?

Ronarth paused to consider it. No  he said delicatly, somehow oblivious to Grith's disdain. Not yet, at least. She's not quite ready, and I would hate to trouble her

There it was, the lovestruck tone. Ronarth was as close to in love with Nirinath as a dragon could be. D'ren found it charming, a nice reflection of Ronarth's sweetness and dedication. It also meant the dragon tended towards spewing about his mate a bit, but that was quite fine. D'ren would have loved to have someone that he felt like spewing about all the time!

Perhaps in the future. But even if that time never came, Ronarth was quite enough.

"It's quite all right," he said at length. He was warming up to Par'a, though his actual stand non fighting women was no different. It wasn't that he hated women, but rather quite the opposite; women were delicate and vulnerable, both physically and emotionally. They needed to be protected, not hurled into danger.

Now wasn't the time to be picky, though. There were far too few dragons and riders left to nitpick who Impressed what. Perhaps in the future, but certainly not right now.

"I'm not sure that Ronarth has even noticed, to be honest," D'ren continued. He sipped his wine and laughed weakly. "Though I imagine he'll be disappointed when he does...he rather likes company." He paused and took a few bites of food before continuing. He preferred leisurely conversation. "And you do have a point, there aren't any holds to tangle with. But there is a lotto consider. We have to make plans to rebuild our kind, and that means expanding quarters, finding new candidates, finding supplies...all sorts of things."

Shinigami

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By:
[ooc: I ah, hope you don't mind me throwing E'lore in here?]

"And that doesn't even take into account the intricacies behind making sure that two hundred or so dragonriders operate smoothly and efficiently with each other and with our non-riding companions as well," E'lore put in as she walked to the table, having shamelessly eavesdropped on the conversation as she approached. She set her tray of food down, all of which appeared to have come fresh from the ovens. "For example, apparently we've been having issues with some of those weyrbrats causing trouble recently." She shrugged, and seated herself.

If D'ren had issues with women not being delicate and graceful instead of riding fighting dragons, then it was likely that he had a problem with E'lore in general. It was also likely that she knew about that little issue of his, and attempted to rub it in his face on more than one occasion. Or perhaps not, who knew? Her current pregnancy likely made that an even odder issue.

"Good evening, by the way," she finally added, giving them both a cordial nod. Her tray was heaped almost as high as Par'a's was, though she'd gone with clear water rather than wine, and she dug into it with an intent efficiency that bespoke a great deal of hunger. It wasn't the greenrider's unending drive for food, though at the moment the brownrider was just about as big.

Please don't taunt the Weyrleader, love, Uhoroth sighed. I don't need his dragon to get irked. Then again, it wasn't as if Uhoroth really cared all that much if the bronze made things difficult. The other bronzes would probably be the ones called on to deal with the situation, not Uhoroth himself. Which he liked, seeing as he'd gotten himself into just the right position and he didn't feel like leaving it.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

[That's fine! (: ]

As Ronarth spoke to Grith obliviously, Par'a felt a mixture of exasperation and indignation filtering down through their mental bond. Shaking her head she downed her glass of wine and refilled it, careful not to spill a drop of the precious liquid. Pell, I want to go for a swim. Grith said fiercely, now having taken to ignoring Ronarth. Par'a closed her eyes for a moment as she chided Grith privately, a smile gracing her face as she attempted to reason with the Green.

"Mm, Grith adores company too, anyone that will listen to her is welcome. But for some reason, Bronzes aren't good company. Everyone has their quirks though, eh?" Par'a said, opening her eyes. While D'ren spoke of all the work they still had to perform sans Holds she bent to her plate, shovelling more food in than she seemed capable of consuming without choking. When D'ren fell silent and E'lore took up that space she glanced up in surprise, having not heard the Weyrlady approaching. Her eyebrows raised somewhat as she pulled an expression resembling understanding, nodding in greeting to E'lore.

"Well, I'm glad all that is in your capable hands!" She said, laughing softly at the thought of the turmoil the Weyr would be in had she been in charge of such things. "What trouble have the weyrbrats been stirring up this time?" She asked, quite intrigued. "I remember the ones at High Reaches being quite notorious for stealing food and having picnics on the hatching sands. There was always complaints of burnt skin afterwards of course!" Par'a laughed again, swirling the wine in her glass around as she thought back to the old days.

We were always there! The little wingless ones always gave me tasty treats! Grith loudly broadcast to the growing group of riders. Par'a's face contorted into playful shame, shaking her head comically.

"Oh hush Grith, what would you remember! Forgetful lizard." Par'a scolded playfully. "Perhaps I shouldn't talk to her of the old days so often," she added to D'ren and E'lore, grinning sheepishly.
Code:

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Ah, E'lore. The Weyrlady.

Admittedly, women aback browns did make him uncomfortable. He'd been willing to look past it so far, if only because  E'lore had proven herself competent. The pregnancy was also distasteful, but he saw no reason to pressure her to terminate by going between since thread wasn't falling. That was the real problem; good dragonriders unable to fight thread because of their troublesome childbearing.

So far, he had no real reason to dislike E'lore, so he gave her a cordial wave and nodded. "Trouble, you say? Do they need a talking to?"

Have they been listening in on us? E'lore and Uhoroth? he asked Ronarth. Yes! the bronze replied, completely unconcerned. It didn't even occur to him to 'cause trouble' with Uhoroth, or Grith, or anyone for that matter. Ronarth mostly just wanted to make friends. In accordance with that fact, he reached out to Uhoroth. Hello he said softly.

D'ren turned towards E'lore and flashed a weary but playful smile. "I'd be more than willing, if only so no one else has to be a bad guy," he commented. At least they had weyrbrats now, he thought almost cheerfully. The population was steadily growing. He would take troublesome weyrbrats over none at all. Weyrbrats grew into sturdy dragonriders. Thread was how far away now? Less than thirty turns. It felt closer than it actually was, but a monumental amount of work lay ahead of them. They would need those turns.

D'ren took another sip of his wine. I must admit, I didn't expect this kind of company he said. ]I don't think that green likes me very much Ronarth replied simply, for it puzzled him. What had he done to her?!

Defiantly, the bronze decided to do something about it. Did I offend Grith? he asked Par'a directly, ignoring the fact that she couldn't really respond to him.

Shinigami

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By:
"Some of them have been stealing from storage," she sighed. "Petty thefts, for the most part, so at least they're not things that we've really needed, but things like that just tend to escalate." She cocked an eyebrow at the Weyrleader. "If you want to give them a stern talking-to, I'm sure many of them could use such a thing. After all, there's nothing like soul-shaking terror to help someone reconsider their attitude toward honesty." The Weyrlady flashed them both an expression that might have had some hint of a smile, if it had come from anyone other than her.

Snacks on the hatching sands would be very nice, Uhoroth said wistfully, though he didn't broadcast it to the other two riders. The dragons wouldn't have a problem hearing him, though. Snacks anywhere, really. And hello, Ronarth. You too, Grith. How have you two been recently?

E'lore shook her head just a little at Par'a's dismissive comment. "I imagine that if things happen enough, they at least learn the habit enough to remember it. Though if there were weyrbrats stealing food often enough to have picnics with that frequency, then I wonder at the discipline of your Headwoman. Still..." She shrugged her shoulders. "Children will be children, as undisciplined, disorganized, and pointlessly daring as they may be."

And she was going to be contributing to the issue again. No more after this, though. That was something that she swore to herself. Tsuen would have to be happy with three children out of her Weyrlady, no matter that other women were undoubtedly contributing masses more. Her Weyrwoman's happiness wasn't worth having to have sex with men any more than she had to, not to mention the issues afterward.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Par'a laughed loudly, the sound much like a naughty child's. "Oh, the Headwoman never really minded so long as they were kept under watch. Though… she never did seem very strict. Hmm." She leaned back, haven finally cleared her plate. Swilling the wine in her glass she dipped back into her memories, or at least attempted to until Ronarth butted into her thoughts. Jerking up straight she frowned before understanding who it was that she could hear.

"Ah… D'ren, can you tell, Ronarth is it? Tell him he didn't do anything, Grith's just a stubborn wherryhead. He needn't take her cold attitude to heart." Par'a said, trying her best to hide the smile that was creeping onto her face. Ah, dragon drama, it was so innocent at heart and in a way sweet to witness.

Snacks anywhere would be nice! I've been quite well. Though the little wingless ones haven't been prettying me much lately! Someone has been making them work, Grith rolled her eyes, which could be clearly sensed along the mental connections, so I don't get prettied! It makes me sad, her tone wilted as she finished. A mental sniff reached Par'a who looked around cautiously as sulky emotions bombarded her mind.

"Please don't come into the dining hall…" she muttered, closing her eyes tight and crossing her fingers as she waited. PELL! Grith shrieked, so loud Par'a wouldn't have been surprised if the entire Weyr had heard her. Pell do you love me? Will you come and swim with me? Pell! Grith continued to shriek, though on a slightly lower frequency. 'Of course I love you darling. I've loved you for over four decades. I'll swim with you later, right now I'm with company.' Par'a replied soothingly.

"Oh I do adore children, so long as they return to their parents at the end of the day, or sooner if they're tantrum throwers. Ah, the joys of being a grandmother," she said, a gentle smile on her face. Grith continued to whine at Par'a, though she wasn't making any moves to barge into the dining hall. You don't love me! 'Yes I do Grith, but I can't be with you every hour of the day. I have to socialise too you know.' Par'a reasoned.

"Do either of yourselves have children? Excluding the obvious of course", she gestured to E'lore's swollen belly, grinning knowingly at both the joys and terrors pregnancy and newborn children brought with them. "I admire your determination by the way, having a child at your age. I was done and dusted almost two decades ago when I had my last child."
Code:

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"They might need it," D'ren conceded. "I don't see any harm in children being children, to a point..." he mused lightly. The gears in his head turned for a moment. As a child, D'ren had been obedient and stayed out of trouble. He knew kids typically got into all kinds of mischief, but when young himself, he tended to be the one telling on them.

Did you have any friends at all? Ronarth asked honestly.  D'ren visible twitched, then rolled his eyes upwards. Not necessary, Ronarth he said calmly, though not exactly scolding. Ronarth wasn't being rude, he was literally asking a question...too bad Ronarth didn't understand tact.

Also, you saw what Par'a said about Grith, right?

Yes, I did Ronarth said with a touch of confusion. I don't understand, but perhaps that's just as well.

Good. You don't need her to like you./ D'ren said reasonably.

Yes! You like me, and that's all that matters the bronze purred.

D'ren smiled and put his attention back to the ladies at the table. "...But stealing is a bit much. If it happens again, I'll have a chat with them. They get one more chance," he said with a wink. Then, he looked over to Par'a. "Oh, shards..I'm certain I do, but not that I really know of," he said with a slight tint of blush.

He took another sip of wine and sighed softly. D'ren didn't care for flights, mostly because of the horrible crassness of the whole thing. Bedding an unfamiliar woman was unpleasant, but that was something a rider came to terms with. Still, his awkward avoidance of most weyrmates and his ineptitude with women in 'stable' relationships lowered his potential for children...and D'ren wasn't exactly a one night stand kind of guy, either.

"I would like them, though," he confessed a moment later. The notion of courting a woman like normal and having a stable relationship...now there was a nice idea.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)