World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [C] 731.10.03 | Finding Time [Talian]

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
Valerian wasn’t big on experiencing emotions in one extreme or another and could really only recall one time where he had felt a deep anger and betrayal, though it didn’t last long. Talian’s idea of a good way to escape Katila hadn’t sat well with the indifferent Harper and once he had made certain the Healer knew that, he had easily gone back into his neutral state of existence. Even when Jada’s life was hanging in the balance, he didn’t get too worked up, knowing Talian could help her and Jada was too stubborn to simply give up. After all, how many times did she have a door slammed in her face and on her fingers when she was a child simply for her desire to be included? Like she would waste her chance at spending time with him now that she had it. He didn’t do emotions that much but Valerian did embrace his ego quite easily.

All that aside, the emotion of choice to showcase itself that day was annoyance. He was fed up with having his life so thoroughly ruled by a schedule he hadn’t agreed to. He had finished his schooling turns ago and even when he was teaching it wasn’t as insane as what he was now living through. He didn’t blame Veeth, how could he? The little blue was the sweetest thing he had known and Valerian now understood what B’jin meant when he said he couldn’t imagine a life without Larrikith, despite the path of glory he had been on before her Impression. Still, his free time had dwindled down to something akin to when he first arrived at Harper Hall and Valerian couldn’t tolerate that. He liked napping when he chose, writing when inspiration was there, and seeing his friends he had made since arriving at Katila whenever he wanted. Of course he saw Allendris, Erisi, and Jada daily within class but it wasn’t quite the same as simply relaxing together and there were two friends – though Kerrin’s bitterness made it a bit hard to approach since the Hatching – he barely saw anymore.

So that was about to change thanks to a sense of longing also being so prominent that evening. Valerian slipped on his shoes and pulled on a long sleeved shirt before grabbing two blankets from his bed. “C’mon, Veeth. It’s quiet in here for once but we’re still going to stay outside for a bit, though with a friend this time.” As he ushered the dragonet out the door and they took turns leading the way to their favourite spot to get away from everyone, Valerian explained his intentions. Veeth thought it was a good idea and agreed to wait while Talian was collected since the Healer was a bit skittish around dragons still. It was also why Valerian wasn’t going to lead his friend into a trap by barricading Talian in either of their rooms. One room would be surrounded by loud dragonets and the other might be deemed contaminated if one stepped inside.

Several minutes later saw the blue weyrling knocking on Talian’s door, though it was simply a warning as he still slipped inside immediately after his knuckles left the wood. It wasn’t that late though it was still hard to say whether or not he’d find a sleeping man or one continuing to work until he passed out. “Tal, get your shoes on and come with me.” Valerian held out his hand in invitation, fully convinced he wouldn’t be turned down or even questioned. The look he gave Talian said as much as well though the hint of a smile tugging up his lips promised it wasn’t anything dire.

Told you I'd get you a starter for them! Just took a few days longer than I planned.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
The knock came and was swiftly observed. Unfortunately for Talian, it wasn't observed swiftly enough.

The younger healer let out a squeak of surprise and twisted his body in the other direction, hastily hunching over and folding his hands in his lap. The young man was seated on his bed, the room entirely dark as it so often was. The wincing, hasty response wasn't too out of sorts for Talian, particularly concerning someone entering his space without any warning to speak of. What was unusual, however, was how the healer continued to remain hunched over and practically cringing in the face of one of his dearest friends.

"Hello, Val," Talian mumbled without turning around.Were his face visible, Valerian would have seen it alight with a most furious blush. Talian cleared his throat and fidgeted nervously for a few seconds, dourly refusing to turn around or allow Val to see his face, before finally twisting around the face the harper. Tal's face was absolutely blood red, and a confused and embarrassed, even bewildered expression was etched upon it.

He was most displeased.

The healer cleared his throat a second time before brushing some of his ever-lengthening hair from his face. Was that feigned dignity? Probably.

"It's nice to see you," Tal said with the worst composure imaginable. He smiled a little bit, honest enough in spite of whatever disruption the harper had caused. Talian was always thankful to see Val, and having his friend show up specifically to fetch him was flattering. Talian slowly stood, keeping his hands neatly folded in front of him. "Um..can I help you?"

Tal's mind immediately floated off to places it didn't need to be. His brows furrowed. "Oh! Y-you're not hurt, are you?" he asked in an urgent whisper.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

His oddly worded invitation had barely left his lips before green eyes recognized the Talian-shaped figure on the bed in the darkened room that only had the light of the hall coming in. He had indeed interrupted his friend but Valerian hadn’t been expecting… well, that. This was Talian though Valerian wasn’t sure if that made the scene more logical or not. Either way, as his friend turned around, Valerian shifted his gaze to look anywhere else out of courtesy and any quick and witty reply was ignored. If it was anyone else he walked in on, Valerian wouldn’t have wasted a moment in pointing out any numerous details but Talian was different.

Unfortunately, that meant the awkward silence seemed much more stifling. Valerian did his best to ignore it, focusing on his hand he still held extended and finally lowering it. Is everything okay? You seem a little off. Veeth’s sweet voice brushed softly against Valerian’s mind, his concern quite evident along with a good dose of curiosity. The Harper could tell his dragonet would trot on over to see what was going on which wouldn’t help the situation at all. “I’m fine,” he found himself answering dragon and friend at the same time which caused a smirk of amusement to appear. “I’m not that accident prone.” Just because he seemed to get some sort of injury the first time he was assigned a new chore didn’t mean he was constantly tripping or running into objects.

“I could continue to be mysterious while hoping your trust in me has you blindly accepting everything I say but I’m not sure how far it will get us within an acceptable timeframe.” In fact, Valerian wasn’t sure he should ask Talian to come out with him at all, wondering if he should leave his friend to his own devices once more. Then again, they’d never get around to spending time together again if they continued to let one thing after another stop them. Once more, Valerian held out his hand for Talian, “I want to steal you away for a little while because I miss my friend.”

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Shards! Caught for sure, and at the worst time imaginable! Tal could feel himself choking on that awkward silence as Valerian undoubtedly processed the sight. Ashamed and at a loss for words, Tal just clutched at his groin region nervously and let out a stifled, insincere little laugh.

"Just worrying. It's what I do, you know!" he said with overzealous casualness. "Someone comes knocking on my door at night, I always worry..." That was true enough, but at this point the young man was stalling.

He swallowed hard when he realized Val was staying. Oh shards, he was about to be mocked! He was about to be mocked! He was about to be-...Invited out?

Tal paused and slowly extended one hand, careful to use the left. He grasped Val's and slowly rose to his feet, content now that his problem had alleviated itself. Then healer blushed furiously. "...I trust you," he said at length. He was actually quite excited. He never did anything spontaneous or interesting anymore, aside from that one trip out into the jungle with B'jin. Getting out of bed at night and being spirited away to some undisclosed location? It was kind of exciting, though the part of Talian that so valued security was a little nervous.

"Lead the way," he whispered.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Valerian was content to let what he walked in on slip away completely without actual comment. He didn’t need to spook his friend into hiding more than he already did because he was too embarrassed to face anyone for tending to a baser need that most men dealt with in the same manner for various reasons. Talian definitely needed to get out more and if Valerian didn’t already believe so, finding the Healer alone in the darkened room, self-pleasuring or not, was a clear enough sign. A light squeeze of reassurance was given when Talian took his hand, a gesture Valerian gave up on questioning a while ago. He was slowly starting to accept the fact that he was the steady rock to his unstable companions and the voice of reason amidst their insanities.

Nothing more was said as Valerian led them outdoors and along the path he had mentally mapped out long before on his daily explorations but now knew without thinking about it. “I should probably warn you, though you’re smart enough to have already realized it,” Valerian finally broke the silence and the illusion that they were sneaking through the shadows in an attempt to avoid being discovered when they were closing in on the location chosen to share with Talian that night, “but Veeth is waiting for us.” Green eyes cast a sideway glance to Talian as Valerian wondered about the reaction. Would his friend decide it wasn’t worth it and take off despite already being dragged outside with a confession of being missed hanging between them? Just in case, and most certainly not because there was any sort of fear of Talian leaving, Valerian held the Healer’s hand a little tighter though he’d let go if there was any struggle to flee.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Tal clutched the offered hand nervously, his skin already damp and clammy from his nervous sweat. He'd never really forced himself to do a lot of adventurous things. This wasn't exactly adventurous, but it was more spontaneous than he was used to for sure. He was also decidedly stressed at having been caught in such a delicate position.  Oh, and now there was going to be a dragon, too?

"Veeth?" Tal asked. He tried to hide his reservation, but he hesitated for only a moment. Veeth was the least horrible dragon he'd met so far. He was even kind of sweet, though Tal's fear and loathing of dragons was far from quelled. He was polite to them. He respected how important they were to his friends. But he still didn't care much for sharing space with them.

"Has he been doing well?" Tal asked, not strictly out of courtesy. It was also a roundabout way of asking how Val himself had been. Their separation was growing less extreme, but Tal still felt starved for time with his best friends. He followed along compliantly, trying to remind himself that nothing bad was going to happen. They weren't doing anything bad or against the rules (probably) and Veeth wouldn't devour him (almost certainly), so everything would be okay, right?

Tal realized that he rather liked the extra drumming of his heart. It felt better than the bogged-down, dull feeling he so often entertained. He smiled. "I've missed you, Val."

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

“Veeth has a tendency to keep me busy with making sure he’s presentable but I don’t mind too much. Now that he’s hitting growth spurts, I’m a pro with making sure his hide’s not cracking.” Valerian caught the implication behind the question, or rather, he chose to believe Talian was asking more about his well-being than hoping something horrible had happened to the adorable blue dragonet. Valerian had no illusions of converting his friend into becoming a dragon lover but he did cling to the sliver of hope that Talian would become comfortable around Veeth one day, although that wasn’t the point of them getting together that night.

At Talian’s confession, Valerian glanced over and even in the dim light could see the smile. Now that was a rare sight. It was hard to decide which of them smiled the least though Valerian could crack a grin at the misfortune of some people and was therefore inclined to say it was the Healer. “Good. I’d hate to think I was the only one who felt that way or was brave enough to mention it.” He gave a small smile in return before leading them a little ways more to where Veeth was curled up on one of the blankets.

“It’s nothing fancy but this is one of my favourite spots to sleep when the barracks are too loud. Figured it was also a good place to bring you so we can hang out and stargaze.” He hadn’t forgotten their mutual interest in the activity though they hadn’t ever really found the time to partake in it together. Veeth got to his feet to quickly move off the blankets when the humans approached though he didn’t bounce around in excitement like he often did when around his siblings he liked. Valerian had a feeling Veeth was attempting to play it cool in order to help make Talian comfortable, which was appreciated. Hello, Talian! I’m glad you could join us.

Valerian flopped down on the ground and laid one of the blankets out over his legs with room for Talian to join him before grabbing the other and slinging it over his shoulders, again leaving room for his friend to take up the other half if he so chose. It wasn’t anything fancy and given Valerian’s lack of a romantic bone outside of writing or reciting songs, he saw the set up as nothing more than a way to stay warm while spending time with a friend.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian felt a wave of relief and the tingle of pleasant surprise as he realized what  Val was setting up. Stargazing? At first Tal wondered how Valerian even knew about his old hobby, but he quickly remembered their last conversation in the infirmary. Right before...the event.

Tal smiled a little. He hadn't done any stargazing in quite some time. The stars were totally different in the south. Looking up at them served as an ugly reminder of where he was and how far he was from where he wanted to be. They practically mocked him, or at least served as a lovely padlock on his cell. Viewing with them Valerian didn't seem quite so bad, though. The unknown was less intimidating when you were alongside someone you cared about.

The healer watched nervously as Veeth moved away. Tal said nothing to the dragon and pretended like he hadn't been spoken to. He remained convinced that the moment he said anything negative about a dragon, his friendship with the rider would be over. Tal kept his mouth shut accordingly, but at least this dragon wasn't verbally assaulting him.

Talian quickly nestled in the covers beside his friend. It was nice to take it easy, and he even felt exceptionally safe. He rarely felt safe in this place, surrounded by people with a cruel 'adapt or die' attitude. Uncharacteristically relaxed, Tal let out a sigh. He wanted to talk, but he wasn't sure what there was to talk about. He hated dragons, he had nothing interesting going on in his life...so what was there to talk about?

He coughed a little bit, more awkwardly than he intended to. "I'm um...sorry about earlier." He still felt horribly awkward about that. Maybe apologizing would make him feel better? Judging by the heat rising up in his cheeks, he supposed not...

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Valerian watched as Veeth slinked a bit further away from them, no doubt trying to blend in with the shadows to help Talian feel more at ease. He could sense his dragon’s sadness at being ignored, for that was obviously what the Healer was doing but neither of them pointed it out. Veeth had been warned it might happen and while the pleasant dragonet seemed to be taking it well, Valerian knew he was disappointed all the same. Of course he also knew Veeth was lying in wait, literally as he curled up where he was, for another opportunity to try talking with Talian.

His attention was drawn from the dragon and a sideways glance given to Talian at the awkward cough. What was making him so nervous? Oh right. Valerian chanced a lopsided grin at the apology. He had already forgotten about what he had walked in on since it held no value in the grand scheme of the night. “Why? I suppose I should apologise as well for just barging in but I had a feeling you wouldn’t answer if I knocked and waited politely. So I won’t apologise.” Talian wasn’t overly social and Valerian suspected if he could get away with sitting still and pretending he wasn’t there to scare off visitors, then that was what Talian would do.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Perhaps that hadn't been the most graceful of topic choices. Tal let out a nervous laugh and rolled three-quarters to the left, facing away from Valerian. The healer could still make out Veeth's shape laying close by. As innocent as the dragon's approach was, Tal still found his mere presence discomforting. Dragons were foul creatures, rude and demanding...and worst of all, the symbol of hi captivity. Veeth couldn't help that, but ultimately it was probably the most important reason of all. 

"I've gotten better about answering my door," the healer said in a feeble attempt to defend himself and his bad habits. His laughter was weak, but even so his body still began to relax. What a long day it had been, and nothing had even happened! He decided to pretend like Veeth [pi]wasn't[/i] going to devour him (and perhaps he'd get lucky and it would come true) and rolled back onto his back, flopping exceptionally flat and letting out a long sigh.

"I hear that instructor has really been running you all ragged," he commented, looking sideways at Val with a hint of pity. Weyrlinghood...Tal didn't expect he would survive it.  He was a delicate boy.  Sure, he had pain tolerance, but as far as physical endeavors went, he was sunk. He admired Val for being able to handle what he was undoubtedly being put through - for being willing to handle it.

"I don't think I'd make a very good dragonrider," Talian mused lightly, almost pleased with the idea. He looked up at the stars and tried his best to match them with the stars from home, hoping he'd at least get a general idea of where they were...but no. It seemed they were off the map. Here be dragons.

He sighed again. He realized suddenly that he'd been talking, making all sorts of overly-verbose comments on the stars and what their alien positioning meant about just where the two young men had found themselves. Thinking aloud, just like always. Tal sighed and rolled to the right, pulling himself as close to Val as he dared.

"I still miss Fiora," he admitted.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

“Maybe I’ll knock next time,” Valerian gave a half-shrug and a smile to match to the sheepish rebuttal. It was amazing but odd how the timid man had become a friend and someone that interested the Harper rather than being chucked onto the automatic ignore list. There wasn’t much love for people that whined constantly or could be complete pushovers but there was something about Talian that made Valerian want his friendship and even develop a desire to make sure no one else tormented him. Like with the others he had befriended at Katila, Valerian wasn’t sure life in the South would be the same without the Healer. They were all Stolen, mostly going through the same changes, and understood even when nothing was said. It was actually kind of nice having friends.

When Talian brought up weyrlinghood, however, Valerian knew perhaps not everything could be discussed with all friends. Still, he wasn’t going to ignore the topic entirely, especially since Talian had brought it up. He’d just have to use his diplomatic Harper skills for good for a change. “Some aspects suck. I thought I was done being the student when entering classrooms.” Out of everything, the fact that he was once again a student after turns of being the teacher irritated the blue weyrling the most. How much could they really teach as well? Veeth was smart and picked up on his lessons fairly quickly. There had to be a way out of the mind-numbing lectures.

“I think you’d enjoy some of the lectures if your fondness for reading and learning is any indication,” Valerian shifted a bit so he could slightly lean over and look down at Talian to study his features only illuminated by the sky’s display that night, “otherwise… your compassion and tenderness with certain people would aid you as a dragonrider but I don’t think you’d enjoy too much. I like you as a full time Healer anyway. Only you can treat my numbweed-picking injury with numbweed salve and not laugh hysterically.” That was a truly appreciated trait in a friend.

Valerian twisted back around so he could lie on his back and stare up at the sky that always seemed so calm when the stars were twinkling down at him. He listened to Talian’s ramblings about the stars and positioning, knowing a good portion of the information already but content in letting it continue simply to fill the silence, hear a familiar voice, and let Talian do whatever helped him relax around him again. It could almost be called soothing until the commentary stopped and Valerian turned toward his silent companion.

There was that name again. Fiora was mentioned here and there but it seemed Talian preferred not to talk about her and Valerian left the topic alone. Everyone had different ways of grieving for and moving on from their past lives but with that statement, he couldn’t stay silent any longer and was compelled to help his friend even if some of it likely came out as rude or tough love. “It’s okay to, Tal.” Valerian had tensed for a moment at Talian inching closer to him, growing unused again to people outside of Jada invading his space but relaxed just as quickly and laid a hand over the Healer’s. “Tell me what makes her so special in your eyes.”

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Tal frowned in empathy. "...I could never laugh at you for something like that, Val," he said, all but purring in an innocent and distant sort of way. He noticed Valerian's little flinch at his proximity and nervously pulled away, over-correcting his own closeness and jerking back farther than the meant to.

His face fell a little bit. "Sorry,  I didn't mean to..." Was he apologizing for getting too close, or pulling back so suddenly? Either way, his nerves settled considerably when he felt Valerian's hand fall onto his. Tal's eyes lit up and he inched a little bit closer, settling a comfortable but still intriguing distance away. He could feel Val's breath.

"Well..." he said softly, his chin tilting down in a coy, modest little game of eye-contact avoidance. "...I guess she was the first person outside of my family that really treated me like a person, if that makes sense," he said. "...I wasn't just the weird, smart kid in class, or a meal ticket or whatever. She actually took the time to get to know me."

How badly he wanted that in his life again. He kept feeling like he got close, but it was a delicate game. Eri wasn't interested, Breccan was off doing her own thing (though he was certainly still interested, provided he could ever track her down again, but her case kept her so busy!), and Farlint was...well, that hadn't even actually happened.

He still had it in a way, though. He had more friends than he ever had in his life, and every one of them seemed to love him in spite of his laws. Overcome by a sudden stab of emotion, he snaked his way closer to Valerian and buried him in a tight hug. It was a quiet 'thank you' for being one of those people, and perhaps a way to avoid going too deep concerning his long-lost girlfriend.

Shards, he was lonely.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Valerian nodded at the explanation, understanding how someone who was such a recluse due to the pedestal he had been placed on would fall for the first person who showed genuine – or well feigned – interest in the real Talian. It was a bit sad at the same time, though, since it also seemed to be some sort of obligation that likely kept the girl from the past so fresh in a fragile mind. She was something nice and familiar to cling to in an environment Talian hated despite there being new people that had shown obvious interest and concern over him. “So you love her because she looked beyond the profession. She’s not the only one to do that. You don’t owe her such devotion—”

A tiny squawk of surprise slipped past parted lips, cutting off Valerian’s build up to a rant about trying to move on from the mysterious and apparently perfect Fiora. He hadn’t expected the hug and his shock spread to Veeth who sat up in alarm, worried his bonded was hurt. What happened? You don’t usually startle so easily. Is Talian okay? He’s clinging to you rather tightly. Valerian would have laughed at Veeth’s concern, the yellow swirling eyes not too far from them seeming so odd on the usually happy dragonet. “Everything’s fine,” he answered aloud with arms wrapping around his friend, both for Veeth and Talian’s unspoken words the gesture conveyed.

“I’m not Fiora, as I likely lack the appropriate curves,” Valerian’s voice was soft, almost mimicking Veeth’s usual lilting voice, as he lightly teased them all with that comparison, “but you still have me, and Eri. You know I appreciate your healing skills but I told you before that there’s something about you that makes me tell you things I normally don’t share and has me worry about you. I still haven’t figured out an answer other than ‘I like you.’” It was almost annoying that he was becoming so invested with some of the new people in his life but the benefits outweighed the annoyance which left Valerian lying on the ground under the stars while hugging a friend. Odd but not so bad.

Veeth crept forward a few steps but he made sure to keep Valerian between him and Talian and laid back down to show again that he was harmless. Why would he ever hurt someone, especially a friend of Valerian’s? Tell him he has me, too! He spoke only to Valerian this time, worried that trying too much with Talian would only push the Healer further away instead of help him adjust to or embrace the idea of having a cute blue dragon speaking to him. Veeth really didn’t want anyone to be uncomfortable around him.

“Veeth said he’s here for you as well.” Valerian obliged, wondering why Veeth was playing shy but left him to it. He doubted any tactic would work, at least not immediately. Perhaps turns of wearing Talian down would do the trick but for now, they would just have to be happy with where they were.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

You don't owe her such devotion

Valerian was so right and yet so wrong at the same time. Talian let out a soft sigh and squeezed tighter, bursting his face in the other man's chest both for security and out of vague desperation. Tal was aware of Veeth's shifting position behind him, suggesting a mild start, but Tal tried his best to ignore it. At the very least he managed not to cringe in the sort of fear that dragons usually inspired in him.

"I know, Val. There are a lot of people like that here. It's almost like a new start," Tal murmured. Her realized that should have been a good thing, but it was the sort of good thing that was easily obtainable back at home, on his journeys. It wasn't worth this.

Maybe the individuals could be, though. Tal relaxed a little, still clinging tightly to his friend. "...Curves don't matter to me," the healer added as an afterthought. He laughed a little. He was still in the habit of laughing often and smiling little, for a laugh could do so much more than just broadcast joy. To Talian, it was something to hide almost any emotion behind.  He let the comment go after that, as well as whatever implications it may have held, and finally pulled his face back. His wide eyes met Valerian's from only a short distance away. He could feel the other man's breath.

"...What about you?" Tal whispered. He'd never seen any hints that Val was unhappy with Katila until the morning after the incident. He'd wondered about it ever since then, but never felt the need to push. It didn't feel right.

Tal wasn't even 100% what he was asking. He fell into a submissive, awkward silence as he awaited Valerian's interpretation of the question.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Valerian gave a small frown at Talian’s laugh. It was very obvious it wasn’t borne of joy though it wasn’t entirely forced either. It was just there, as if an intelligent man thought it should go there. A sigh was given as the Harper wondered if there was anything else he could say or do to help his friend continue adjusting with the way things now were but settled on reiterating that Talian didn’t have to put on a show for him. Given their past talks and the state he had seen the Healer in on that horrible morning, Valerian didn’t know why charades of any sort would be given. Did he seriously seem like the type of guy that liked anything other than honest opinions? “Laugh because you mean it, Tal.” He spoke softly and evenly, not at all chiding his friend but simply stating a fact that seemed to have gone overlooked. “Joyous or devious, I don’t care. But you’re the sort to use it as a shield and you know my words will still cut through it if they have to.” 

A slight movement was made in an effort to fix the blanket bunching awkwardly on his left pant leg without disturbing Talian too much when the man spoke again, earning Valerian’s full attention once more. What about him? What, specifically, was being asked of him? The first thought was relaying Veeth’s comment about being there for the Healer but Valerian had said first that he would always be there so it couldn’t have been that. The chance the question was directed about a loved one being left behind was slim since he was fairly certain everyone believed he wouldn’t be bothered with a relationship or would have simply shrugged and moved on if he had been. That thought did, however, lead Valerian to thinking of the North in general and decided that was likely what Talian was getting at. He supposed it was time for a tale. Yet again, Talian was getting details out of him that Valerian typically kept locked away.

“I’ve been writing a lot more. Chronicling my days since arriving as well as poems. I’ve always enjoyed writing.” He hesitated a moment before pointing to a cluster of stars with one hand and tilting Talian’s head in the proper direction with the other, “see those stars? Stargazing is something familiar from home and what I allowed myself to associate with that time. The two brightest represent my sisters. My mother, father, and brother are in the cluster as well. When I moved to Harper Hall, I sort of became friends with one of Jada’s brothers and their mom pretty much adopted me. The last two stars are for them.” Was he displaying a bit of his romantic soul by linking people to the stars or was he just a foolish and lost boy looking for any sort of comfort? Valerian still hadn’t decided and didn’t care what the answer was. It brought him a bit of peace when he was feeling a little out of sorts and writing or playing guitar didn’t help.

“Other than Jada’s brother, I never really bothered with friends or letting anyone know me, until Katila. I have a handful of friends and they’re all annoying in how they get me to talk so much and reveal aspects of myself,” his voice did carry a hint of his annoyance but there was also a smile in place as Valerian allowed himself to continue showing a little more than his usual bored indifference. He most certainly was still that, hard to be brought to any strong emotion one way or the other, but alone with a friend left him doing strange things like pulling Talian back in for a hug. He couldn’t quite manage to give voice to his gratitude for Talian being who he was but Valerian suspected hugs said a lot.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Well, you've got me on that one," Talian murmured softly. He did hide a lot behind his timid laughter. It was a coping mechanism, one that had been with him since his youngest days. It was such a familiar gesture that those who'd never known his legitimate laugh were often surprised when they heard it, though Val was no such person. Val would know the real laugh when he heard it. He'd already heard it more than most people ever would.

Talian listened quietly to Val's poignant and quite revealing comments about his days at Katila. The stargazing, the little comments about his family...they were unusual but welcome insights into the harper's heart and mind. Talian loved his friend dearly, but he found him mysterious; less mysterious, however, than many surely did. Tal was a quiet, private sort of man as well. He was sensitive and sometimes empathetic, when he could manage it. Val was the sort of person he felt the most empathetic towards.

"I don't think you've ever told me that much about yourself in one sitting," Tal purred lightly. He returned the hug, ever grateful. The healer smiled and angled his face inwards to  Val's neck, pausing as he realized how perilously close his lips were lurking to the harper's warm skin. Tal drew up a bit and blushed, though thankfully his embarrassment was masked by the night sky.

Talian peeled away a bit. "...Thank you, Val...I needed this," he said gently, looking up to the sky and pretending conspicuously like nothing was on his mind.

He hoped Val had needed it, too.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

“I don’t think I’ve told anyone that much about myself in one sitting.” He supposed B’jin came close when they had their talk about the first egg Touching and how it had affected the younger man, but Valerian had still held back on giving voice to so many of his thoughts. It was Larrikith being nosy and peeking through his thoughts that ended up revealing so much. Talian managed to get such an insight simply because the man didn’t pry and he seemed genuinely interested when he did ask a question. There was also the suspicion that the Healer needed to be let in and not blocked out and left to wonder if he was being used or not worthy. Their conversation of earlier only served to confirm that and Valerian was glad he had always spoken up and shared a tidbit of his life despite his usual habits.

Valerian was a perceptive man but there were still things that went over his head and he likely would have missed Talian’s slight hesitation and blush even in broad daylight. They could both be quiet and introverted so it wasn’t too unusual to think all the innocent touching was reaching the limit of Talian’s comfort levels. The Harper, for his part, didn’t mind the hugs and nuzzling; things he had sort of started to like since arriving at Katila and then started to miss after Impressing Veeth. “Glad to hear it but I hope you’re not leaving already. I plan on staying a little longer and you can as well, if you want.” They didn’t need to have more deep and meaningful conversations, or even talk at all. Valerian was just in the mood to have company and relaxing outside with a friend seemed like a nice way to do it. He gave a lazy tug to the front of Talian’s shirt in an effort to get the man to lie back down with him but it wasn’t forceful enough to pull Talian down if he didn’t want to.

Veeth inched his way closer to Valerian, softly crooning as he reached his bonded’s side. He didn’t want to scare Talian but neither did he want to be left out of the cuddling any longer and so he invited himself in.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"I'm not going anywhere," Talian assued his friend. He did shift a little bit to the left, wary of the dragonet's approach. He wouldn't deny Val an opportunity to cuddle on his dragon, but Talian had no desire to be any nearer the beast than he had to. He cast Valerian a reassuring grin as he did so, assuring him that it was okay. He didn't have to be perfectly curled around the other man to enjoy his company.

Perhaps it's for the best he thought, thinking back on those few close moments. Val was so warm and such a pleasant size, so nice to curl up beside! Tal did his best not to think of his sweet and relate-able the man was, or how much he adored him. Deep down, Tal recognized the stirrings of a little puppy-love sort of attraction. Such feelings had already come and gone for Erisi, perhaps this was just the natural progression of things. Just as before, Tal didn't plan on sharing his feelings. It was a silly, childish thing that would pass.

He exhaled softy and rolled onto his back, gazing up for a few long minutes at the stars. He enjoyed the fresh air, and enjoyed the silent company even more. It was a good night, one of the best in quite a long time.

Any further plans for them, my darling?

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)