World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [C] 741.10.11 | Ambush
10:30am | A'tay

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Written By: BardlyThere
Zelly was finally alone for a moment, not being herded into a candidate class, not being shown around the weyr, not being told to do chores. She should have been relieved that she was getting a chance to catch her breath and actually try to take stock of her new life in a new place with all of these new people. Instead, she was bored. Maybe that gold egg everyone had talked about during class up in Telgar would actually help. She could impress it (though she doubted that would actually make her parents happy as much as getting her out of of the hold did), and then she'd always have some sort of company. Not the sexy and entertaining company she preferred, but it was better than nothing. That and if she did get that gold then she could very easily get people to do things for her! No, not if. When. If she was here she might as well dream big and be positive about it.

Too bad her future gold dragon did nothing to cure her boredom now. She vaguely remembered there was something happening elsewhere, which was why there'd been no one around, and for once she was annoyed with herself for not having paid better attention. The least she could have done was find someone else to remind her. She decided to roam the weyr a bit, looking for someone to either entertain her or point her to the entertainment. Clearly wherever everyone else was, it was more fun than here and she wanted in on that.

A young blonde man caught Zelly's eye and she grinned, taking a moment to eye him before deciding that he was in fact quite cute enough to be interesting without knowing anything else about him. She quietly moved behind him, doing her best to sneak up on the unsuspecting blonde before purring in delight once she was nearly on top of him, "Why hello there. I'm Zelly and I was wondering if you could help me." She batted her eyes up at him as she grinned.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
A’tay nearly jumped out of his skin as a woman all but physically jumped him. He was also lucky he didn’t take off a finger as he had been running his thumb over the side of the piece of wood instead of working with the chisel at that particular moment. He decided to make his own chess board and pieces for F’drel and another for T’ryn but making the various types of pieces to be relatively the same was a bit trickier than he expected.

He resisted the urge to grab his heart from the shock but did grip the small piece of wood a bit tighter as he turned to take in the owner of the voice. She was petite with dark hair and A’tay didn’t think he had seen her before. Was she a new resident or a visitor? Or was he simply that absorbed in his work and avoiding large groups that he failed to notice someone that had been here for a while?

“Um, hi,” he started out lamely before finding his voice and smiling, “I’m A’tay of bronze Xyxyth. What do you need help with? I’ll do my best to lend a hand if I can.” He was young, still a rather inexperienced bronzerider, and he still didn’t know all the twists and turns of the Weyr despite how long he had now lived there.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelana grinned, she couldn't help but be amused and a little pleased that she'd managed to startle him. She took a peek at the small piece of wood, curious about what he was doing. "Well, you see, I am so terribly bored. I was wondering if you could help me with that. I'm still new to the weyr, I was just searched recently, but I noticed almost everyone was gone. Do you know where they went? Some sort of party I assume?" Zelly paused, moving around to his other side, her hand gently sliding along his back as she did so. "And if you don't know... maybe you could help entertain me yourself."

She took a step further back as she circled him, trying to get a better look at what he'd been doing, and just a better look at A'tay in general. He was definitely cute enough, she liked his face even if it seemed a bit more nervous than the faces she usually flirted with. That was fine. Nerves could be overcome. And at least he had a nice smile. She wondered what else was nice underneath all of that clothes.

"That looks interesting, what are you working on? I bet you're good with your hands." The last part she said with a suggestive edge, shamelessly flirting with him. If he didn't know where the party was, she was certain they could make their own fun.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

He supposed it was a bit quieter that morning, but it didn’t seem odd to him since he knew a Gather had started that day. What was odd was the way the hand lightly brushed his back causing A’tay to shiver and sit up a bit straighter. Given some of his friends, he should have been used to random touching by now. “Fort Hold’s harvest Gather started today. Many like to get there early to buy the needed supplies before going back later on to simply enjoy the festive mood.” He didn’t need anything personally and when he offered to help out with cargo duty, he was greeted with varying looks of shock. A bronzerider did not run pelts and flour back and forth! That’s what they had greens and blues for.

“Anyway, sorry to say you found a boring boy that entertains himself with quieter activities and wood-carving.” He held the little chess piece out on his palm for Zelly to see it better. He was working on a dragon at the moment since that was something he had practiced carving the most and was proud enough of the work to show it off. “I’m okay with my hands,” A’tay was rather observant but sometimes the obvious still flew over his head and he replied with innocent intent. “There’s a former senior journeyman in Telgar Weyr that trained me and he’s amazing! I’m kind of pushing my comfort zone right now by making chess boards for my brother and a friend of ours.”

He set the little dragon down on the table to join its companion that he had completed a week ago and was using as a reference for the current one. Symmetry on a piece was tough enough but symmetry between two pieces was driving him insane. “What things do you like to do?” He asked as he turned to face the woman and blushed at how close she was to him.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Ah, that's what she'd forgotten! Zelly frowned for the briefest moment so she could tap a finger against her chin. A Gather did sound rather fun. There would be so much to do, so many new people to meet and have fun with! For now though, she did have a new target for her curiosity, and when A'tay said that he was boring she just grinned.

"Boring boy... that sounds like a challenge." She bet that she could teach him a trick or two to make him more entertaining. At least he did seem very good with his hands as she took a closer look at the little dragon he was carving. If he could get his hands to make something like that, she bet he could use them in far more entertaining ways as well.

A'tay's blush made her grin grow until it was almost predatory. She considered her answer for a moment She could be direct, see just how red he'd turn, see if she could convince him to show her just how far under his shirt that blush went. Or she could be a bit more subtle, and just try to have any sort of fun. Even if she didn't get to have a better look at him she could always see if he'd keep her entertained some other way, or even give her a ride to the Gather. "Oh I like to do a lot of things. I love to go swimming, that one is especially fun with someone else around to splash at," among other things, "and I do like to go exploring. Meeting cute boring boys is fun too." She circled back around to his other side, and decided to stand just a little closer. "The Gather does sound very fun. If you end up going I could tag along. I've never been to Fort."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A'tay's blush made her grin grow until it was almost predatory. She considered her answer for a moment She could be direct, see just how red he'd turn, see if she could convince him to show her just how far under his shirt that blush went. Or she could be a bit more subtle, and just try to have any sort of fun. Even if she didn't get to have a better look at him she could always see if he'd keep her entertained some other way, or even give her a ride to the Gather. "Oh I like to do a lot of things. I love to go swimming, that one is especially fun with someone else around to splash at," among other things, "and I do like to go exploring. Meeting cute boring boys is fun too." She circled back around to his other side, and decided to stand just a little closer. "The Gather does sound very fun. If you end up going I could tag along. I've never been to Fort."

Her gaze was a bit unsettling but the grin was downright unnerving. He got the feeling that she was several steps ahead of him in something he wasn’t aware of and that kind of bothered him since he thought himself fairly observant. Then again, that was when he was purposely paying attention to everyone around him, learning what he could about people and the situation. He had been caught completely off guard with this meeting but he wasn’t ready to politely bolt just yet. No doubt she was just intense, like some of his friends and wasn’t aware that he wasn’t quite as outgoing and could become a tad timid when faced with certain personalities.

Again he felt his cheeks warm at the compliment—at least he assumed it was and it wasn’t teasing—but didn’t remark on being called cute. “You’re in luck with the swimming. There’s a small stretch of beach that the weyrfolk like to escape to and a bit further down is a more open area where the dragons can play as well so you’ll usually find the dragonriders in that area.” He went sometimes, mostly for Xyxyth and sometimes when dragged along by friends but he always stayed on the beach or moved in just enough that he could sit in the shallow water and not have it come up past his belly button. He made a note to introduce Zelly to R’dare since he loved to swim and he would have more friend connections to bring to the girl.

“As for exploring… do you mean around the Weyr or further out? I like hiking and exploring out in nature. Helps even more having a dragon now since I don’t have to worry about getting lost and stranded.” He only came close once and that wasn’t his fault! Well, it was, and he learned to either stay on trails or to pay better attention to what was around him.

“Fort is massive. Weyr and the Hold… though I’ve never been in the Hold to know for certain but it seems it from the outside and the size of their Gathers. Now that would be an interesting place to explore,” except he’d be terrified of saying or doing something wrong amongst a Lord Holder. His aunt’s home was stressful enough the first serval visits. “I did plan on going but I hadn’t decided on a day or time. But Xyxyth and I wouldn’t mind bringing you both ways. You wouldn’t even have to spend the day with me or anything either.” Surely she would want to spend the day dancing and wandering free, not shackled to him.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

The mention of the beach made Zelly's smile soften and her eyes widen with more wholesome excitement. "Would you show me the way to the beach so that I won't get lost if I try to go on my own?" As much as she preferred having company, swimming was worth doing for its own sake even if she had no one else to entertain her. She took his arm, giving it an insistent, but gentle, tug. "It'll be fun, count as exploring for me, and we can plan that trip to the Gather."

Zelly was pleased when he scrambled to grab his things and comply with her demand and she cheerfully chirped, "See! You're not a completely boring boy at all. I'll help you discover how to have fun yet." There was definitely the potential there, and seeing what all she could do to and with A'tay would be a fun little distraction as she adjusted to the new life her parents had purchased for her.

"Other than going to beaches back home I've not really done much hiking. That could be fun if I had someone to go with." Zelly wondered what all they could get up to out on a hike, surrounded by trees and nothing else. More importantly she wondered what all she could convince A'tay to do. He was presenting a rather interesting mystery. Maybe if he was doing something he was a bit more comfortable with he'd find it easier to relax. Though that blush was cute. She resisted the urge to try to bring it back on purpose and instead decided to share her current schedule as far as she knew it. "So, other than those days for candidate classes, I'm free for you to take me away."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A'tay pocketed the dragons and tucked away the chisel in a different pocket so it wouldn't accidentally nick his hard work before scrambling along after Zelly. He could have put up a fuss or dug in his heels to show he really didn't want to go anywhere but that would have been extremely rude. Besides, he was the one that had brought up the beach and it only seemed fair to point it out to her--though it had been a while since he walked the path thanks to Xyxyth.

He almost offered to fly her down but that wouldn't help Zelly if she wanted to go alone or if she was meeting with others. So he pointed them in the right direction and set out on their trek and tried not to blush or die of embarrassment at her using the 'boring boy' back against him. How long would it take for her to forget he said that?

"Are you going to Stand at Telgar's upcoming Hatching? End of the month is what they're predicting. My older brother's dragon is the sire and he said there's a gold again." Hopefully this one was a bit calmer in personality and didn't rampage and kill anyone before betweening alone. Probably not the best idea to bring that up just yet, though if she was so new to the Weyr, maybe such lessons should be told or already had been.

He guided them down the path and pointed when the ocean came into view. "Almost there, but I love the view up here a lot more than splashing around in the water. It seems so vast and endless, even though Fort is over there somewhere." He'd never travelled by ship or dragon wing across the ocean, always going between so he only had what others told him but sometimes it seemed so impossible.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelly hung on A'tay's arm as they walked, her attention focused on the path and the surroundings so that she could better memorize the route. Not that it seemed that difficult, but she was honest enough with herself to know that she'd try to sneak out to the beach at night when even familiar paths could become tricky to navigate.

"I think I'll be going. That's why I'm here after all, so that my parents can think I'm focusing more on dragons instead of cute boring boys." Zelly resisted the urge to ask if his brother was just as cute, she would save that for later if and when he became more resistant to her teasing and it wasn't so easy for her to make him blush.

She did enjoy the view, but couldn't help but scoff and tease a bit more when A'tay said that he liked it more than being in the water itself. "Clearly I'll have to see if I can change your mind about that. Maybe you've just been splashing about wrong, or with the wrong people. We should do a comparison. You swim with me for a bit, and then afterwards we'll come back here to try and warm each other up while we take in the view."

The statement was followed up with a wink before Zelly gave his arm another gentle tug before he could try to object too much. "Let's go, the vast and endless sea awaits."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

“Definitely the wrong people,” he replied almost under his breath. But as he was tugged along again, he fell completely silent as he debated whether he should point out the fatal flaw in this trip before they reached the water’s edge.

It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Not everyone can swim and I’ve heard that a lot of people have never seen the ocean before coming here so you even getting into the water a little bit is more than most have done. A’tay gave a small smile as his dragon’s voice filled his mind and offered him the warmth of support.

I think I’m more afraid of her tossing me in and making me learn. She seems the sort to not let anything stop her. It wasn’t a bad trait to have but he was genuinely afraid of deep water and had turned down many offers from friends to teach him.

I can go to the larger beach if you want to distract her. Maybe she’ll be content to swim with me?

A’tay shook his head, not wanting to resort to the dragon rescue just yet. Later. I do want her to meet you, especially since I signed us up to bring her to the Gather.

When they made it to the end of the path and the sand greeted his boots, A’tay sighed and lightly tugged on Zelly’s arm to get her to stop a moment. “I… I can’t swim, Zelly. I was dunked under the water as a kid and held almost too long before let up. Pranks, right? But I’m terrified of deep water and never go in very far.” He had managed to keep eye contact for most of his confession but by the end of it he was staring at their feet with his face burning from a new form of embarrassment. She was pretty and way cooler than he would ever be and now she knew he was lame on top of boring.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelly's heart leapt for joy once they set foot on the beach. She was ready to just head into the water straight away when A'tay held her back. She tilted her head, frowning more out of confusion than anything else. There was a quick jumble of emotions. At first a casual dismissal that he couldn't swim, because everyone could learn and that would be easy enough for her to fix. She was amused at the thought of being dunked, especially since she had fond memories of playing in the water with her brother, dunking each other, trying to startle the other by tickling at feet and claiming it was a terrible sea monster. The amusement was short lived though when he admitted to being afraid.

She took a lock of her hair, twirling it in her finger as she studied A'tay with a serious expression her face wasn't used to making. Fear was usually harder to get people around, but Zelly was sure she could help with that. She'd make a swimming partner out of A'tay yet. "Well then I suppose I'll just have to teach you to not be so terrified you can't have fun. And also how to swim."

Zelly gave one more gentle but insistent tug of his arm before she released it and moved to the side so she could start stripping and hang her clothing from a nearby branch. "So are you going to join me for those lessons or just watch? You won't be going deeper than you can stand." She really hoped he'd be taking off his shirt and joining her, but she wouldn't be too disappointed if he declined. She'd just take a quick jump into the ocean on her own and then use him as a towel to dry off with a hug if he hadn't run off by the time she was done.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A'tay sighed. He knew it. He knew Zelly would jump on the theme of teaching him to swim, though the part about getting him to not fear the water wasn't usually tossed his way. People probably assumed they went hand in hand or didn't think the fear was that big of a deal. Some of the fear came from not seeing what was around him though this part of the beach was clear and he could always see the bottom in the shallows he played in.

More out of habit than anything else, A'tay removed his shirt--it's what one did at the beach, especially when washing a dragon was usually involved. He set it carefully over a branch then checked his pockets to ensure everything was still safely tucked away. Boots and socks came next and then he pondered if he should just roll the legs of his pants up or strip down to--that's when he turned around and recalled he wasn't with a fellow brat he grew up with and being nude around wasn't awkward. He didn't know how to handle Zelly just yet and the fact that he wasn't about to go past his knees anyway had A'tay bending over to roll the legs up to his knees and then transfer anything in those pockets to his shirt.

"No lessons but I'll join you a little. Then we can wander further down and meet Xyxyth. He's sunning on a ledge right now but said he'd join us later."

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelly had paused for a moment when she realized that A'tay was pulling off his shirt so that she could appreciate the reveal of his lean body that looked not too hard but not too soft. There was the slightest bit of disappointment that he stopped there, only rolling his pants up, but still with how shy he'd been acting it seemed like a win. And a small win could be turned into a bigger win. Since he was leaving his pants on she decided to leave her underwear on for the moment, and walked over to give him a nudge as she grinned. "Maybe you're too late, maybe you're already taking the first lesson."

She ran into the water as far as she could before jumping into a spot deep enough that she could sink fully below into the cool water. Better to get it over with than to linger in the shallows waiting an inch at a time. Once that initial shock was over with she turned to lay on her back, floating at the top. She kicked herself lazily back towards A'tay, as close as she could manage without beaching herself on the sandy floor. "It's better to just dunk yourself when the water is cool like this. Get in over your head. Even if you're in a spot that's shallow enough to stand you can bend over or lie down. Much easier to get used to than wading. You should give it a try, you could go in to a spot that's just deep enough to come up to your neck while you're sitting. But if you're still working on maintaining your cute boring boy image I suppose I can just get a couple of laps in and then we can go meet your dragon." Zelly grinned at that, giving him a wink to emphasize that she was teasing him.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

Zelly was such a mystery to him. Mystery? Maybe more that she just left him confused. It wasn’t even like he didn’t know other people like her. He had a sister that was very much like the girl currently diving into the water. But A’tay couldn’t help but think running head long into the unknown was how Zelly approached everything in life. She didn’t seem to have any fear or reservations about what was before her. He wished he could be like that but even the idea of running toward the water as free as she was now scared him and had him strolling up the water instead.

“I’m fine with being boring over here,” he pointed out while taking a few steps into the water and letting it lap just above his ankles. It was cool but nice. He was a Katila baby and loved the heat of summer and the sun-warmed lake that they left behind but there was something rejuvenating about the jolt of cold that hit with cold water. “Boring is safe and I really don’t mean to offend you since you’ve been so nice, but I’ve only known you about an hour and I don’t want to put my life in your hands just yet.”

He paused as he gave a shy grin, “maybe tomorrow, though.” There was no way he would start up any level of swimming lessons the following day as he would need a lot of time to mentally get to the physical portion but he figured he could try to friendly, fun, and not a boring boy with such a comment. He let his toes dig into the mud and strolled up and back down the water’s edge while Zelly did her laps. He felt a bit bad for not trying to go in further but she didn’t seem to mind and only gave a light splash of water in his direction as she got out.

He shivered as the cool drops hit his chest but he laughed and sent his own splash back before dashing out of the water. “I’ll grab our clothes since I’m a bit drier than you. Then we’ll head that way for Xyxyth,” he pointed in the direction and went to grab their items, carefully stacking them so nothing in pockets fell out.

Xyxyth landed down a stretch from where they came and he crooned in greeting to the new friend. “That big lump is Xyxyth. He’s rather friendly and if you let him, he’ll talk your ear off. I’m afraid you two will be good friends and team up against me to be perfectly honest.” Laughing, A’tay set their clothing down on a log and went over and gave his dragon’s neck an affectionate pat and waved Zelly in so she could get in on the pats.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Boring, she couldn't understand why A'tay would cling to it. He would definitely be a fun distraction in the weyr, a fun little project she could keep working on even as she sought out other outlets for fun. "Boring is not always safe you know. And fun isn't always dangerous. There are a number of fun and safe things we could do for instance. We could find a nice large bath and I can show you just how much fun we could have in some water if you didn't want to wait until tomorrow."

Zelly batted her eyes at him but resisted going in for a cold damp hug since he was carrying her things. She hadn't even had to ask! That alone would have made him work exploring a bit more if he wasn't already cute and providing such a fun little puzzle. All she had to do was find out how to coax him out of his stubborn shell.

Her thoughts were immediately derailed by the large bronze dragon's appearance. He was much bigger than the green that had searched her, and for a moment she just stayed back to stare at his immense bulk, not so much afraid but surprised. At A'tay's insistence she got closer and she smiled. "So much bigger than the last one I saw! Hello Xy, can I call you Xy?" She reached out to feel his warm hide and giggled, turning back to A'tay. "Quite the impressive dragon, I don't know that I've ever seen one this big. Definitely not up close. Hopefully he's fine with me teaching you to be less of a boring boy. We could always practice being a bit more adventurous and exciting at the Gather..."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

Xyxyth took a moment to take in A'tay's new friend, studying her appearance as much as he was considering what she said. She seemed like a good sort and A'tay hadn't complained about her since meeting her--worrying about her being so outgoing didn't count. It sounded like she had been Searched which meant a dragon had prodded about and decided Zelly was a good bean and that was enough for him. A'tay hated when he went poking around in someone's mind, calling it rude if he didn't ask first. Though talking was always allowed.

If you call me Xy then I guess I get to call you Zel. Is Zelly your full name? He knew girls didn't get honorifics but if they did, then Zelly would probably be Z'y and they would have the same name! He was amused by the idea but kept it to himself since there were better things to talk about.

He's not boring. He's just stuck in his ways. A'tay is a good man but he needs a little help breaking out of the norm and trying new things, I think.

"Xyxyth!" A'tay exclaimed, horrified. He knew his dragon would take Zelly's side. They loved each other as they were but Xyxyth was also trying almost from day one to get him to push himself further and reach for higher goals. Like aiming to be Weyrleader one day. A'tay didn't even want to be a wingleader like his brother did but Xyxyth had a goal for them and he let the dragon be content in thinking it was achievable. Besides, it would be well over a decade before he ever got close to that title!

He has good friends who are very good people but they're very similar to him. He needs someone more like you to show him new things and what he's capable of. Xyxyth continued on, completely ignoring A'tay's shock and embarrassment. This would be good for him and help him in the long run. The Gather is an excellent place to continue working on him.

A'tay groaned but accepted his fate. He knew he was outnumbered and wouldn't stand a chance persuading Zelly away from whatever ideas Xyxyth had planted. He hadn't known her long but he was getting a basic idea of what to expect.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelly hadn't expected to hear the dragon say anything and found herself absolutely delighted, especially because she hadn't expected a dragon to sound so warm. She'd imagined something more growly or hissy, certainly nothing so smooth and soothing. "My full name is Zelana, but you can shorten it even further if you like."

She considered mentioning that she didn't really think A'tay was boring yet, point out that he'd used those words first, but then it sounded like the dragon was encouraging her. She grinned, glad that someone appreciated her efforts. "Oh, I think I can show him some new things," she said with a delighted purr. Did it still count as flirting with A'tay if she was talking to his dragon? Probably, she decided.

She gave the dragon's soft hide another pat and turned to A'tay. "I like Xy. You realize you probably aren't going to escape those swimming lessons now, right?" She paused to laugh before continuing, "Will I have to teach you how to dance at the Gather? Because we're definitely going to dance at least a little now. Maybe do some shopping, some people watching, definitely some exploring."

Feeling especially emboldened and even a bit giddy at his dragon's general approval and her plans for the Gather, Zelly moved over to half tackle A'tay in a hug and found his skin pleasantly warm against hers. "Ooh, you're a toasty boy too! I should have hugged you sooner. I will teach you to have fun yet, or to at least pretend that you like fun."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

Instincts had him returning the hug and then going into his default mode around this woman of blushing when he realised how undressed they both were. But he didn’t need to add prudish to the adjectives that best described him. And really, he was only semi-prudish. Selectively prudish. Why was he worrying about that when there were larger issues at hand?

“I don’t hate fun and I know how to have it and with other people as well. It’s just a different sort than what you’re into. But yes, I know how to dance. It was a pretty popular thing to do in the evenings back in Katila. But please don’t push the swimming lessons on me. That’s going to take a while.” It already had given it had been about a decade since the incident happened. A’tay sometimes longed to join his friends but then he would start to gasp for air like his head was being held under again and he stayed firmly in place on the safe and mostly dry sand.

“People watching is also an acceptable form of passing the time at a Gather. I do it here as well. You can learn a lot about someone or how people view another by their body language and meals are one of the better times to do that. I’ll show you a good spot for… sorry. You probably didn’t mean it the same way.” He fell silent, once again embarrassed and wondered why he kept caring so much about what Zelly thought.

Zelana… I like Lana… though you kind of look like a LaLa to me so that’s your name now. Xyxyth had started naming their friends from an early age and it wasn’t something he seemed ready to outgrow but A’tay didn’t really mind. It was a cute quirk of his dragon. Though it did remind him of the Lady Xyliah—or Xylith as Xyxyth called her—and how she was doing. It had been quite a while since last they spoke. Maybe he’d send a letter.

Suddenly spurred on by a desire to show he knew how to have fun and not need constant prodding by Zelana, A’tay asked Xyxyth to kneel so he could climb up. A moment later and he was seated atop his dragon and smiling at his new friend. “The view is even better up here if you’d like to join me. No straps so I’d rather not risk you falling by doing a flight. But you’ll get that soon enough with the Gather trip.”

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelly smirked as A'tay tried to declare that he didn't hate fun, though hearing he already knew how to dance was a pleasant surprise. "I look forward to seeing you dance, maybe you can teach me a few moves I don't know." She also looked forward to seeing him prove he didn't hate fun, but she didn't want to tease him about that quite yet. She pulled back to give a small dismissive wave when he mentioned the swimming lessons. "Oh they'll happen as they happen. There is no escape for that. And I imagine it would take a while since you mentioned being afraid, but I'll get you there one day, even if we have to go an inch at a time."

She would just have to find a way to make the lessons fun for her as well, though given they wold be happening in or near the water she was sure she could manage. A'tay's sudden embarrassment made her quite curious as to what sort of people watching he thought she did, but before she could ask his dragon stole her attention. Zelly smiled up at him, amused that he'd given her a nickname. "LaLa? That sounds fine by me. Zel or LaLa, whichever you're in the mood for, Xy."

She watched A'tay climb up the dragon, curious if he was going to try to run away, but the invitation to join him made her giggle. "If he doesn't mind I would love to join you." She carefully tried to climb up like she'd seen him do just moments ago, reaching up to take his hand to help boost her up the last bit. She settled onto the dragon in front of his rider. "This... this is much higher than I thought. I wonder if I could jump from up here into the water... It is a nice view though." She smiled and leaned back to lounge against her new friend and project. "You know, swimming doesn't sound like it could be as scary as flying. If you can fly you can probably manage to swim with me one day."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

He stiffened at the familiarity Zelana kept having with him. He was used to someone like Madiquel or Kestra leaning on him but he had grown up with them, known them for years, not hours. He forced himself to relax. It wasn't a big deal. Two friends, new as they were, hanging out atop his dragon. Of course the contact would happen. Honestly, she was just making him so unbalanced that everything felt odd.

"Flying has surprisingly a lot more air than water does," A'tay pointed out, still not ready to give in and face that fear no matter how much he was pestered. He regretted telling her about it now but it had always deterred others from pushing the issue when they knew the fear and the way it started. of course it would make this mysterious woman more determined to fix the issue. Why though? Why was she so intent on fixing him and making sure he knew how to have fun? Was this how she fixed her own boredom? That was the reason she approached him to begin with, after all.

"Some riders do like to jump from their dragon into the water. I've been told you don't want to go from too high because the impact hurts, even if you try to enter gracefully." A'tay wasn't about to tell his nosy new friend that he was a bit intrigued by the idea. The sense of free falling, even for a short moment, and landing safely in the water seemed like such a rush of adrenaline and the riders always came up smiling and laughing. Free falling on Xyxyth's back was enough for him, though. It was fun, thrilling with the way the ground rushed towards them, and safe when his sweet dragon pulled them back up from the dive.

"I'm sure Xyxyth will let you jump a few times if you like. The water is deeper over here so you'd be safe in the landing."

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Zelly decided not to comment on how stiff and uncomfortable A'tay seemed when she leaned against him. Instead she stayed there for a bit longer; she'd move of her own accord when she felt like it, because if she didn't act bothered then perhaps he'd catch onto that and be less bothered himself. She grinned when he pushed back about her comparison to flying. "I suppose that is true. You're far more stubborn about this swimming thing than a boring boy ought to be. But I suppose I'll forgive you for that since you are so cute. And since it does point to you being less of a boring boy than you initially claimed."

One day she would win and get him into the water to properly swim with her, but for now Zelly would allow herself to be distracted with something else and give him a small break from her pestering. "I'm glad that I'm not the only one to think that jumping into the water from a dragon sounded fun. Maybe when you're a bit more comfortable in the water I'll give jumping off of Xy a try. Or when the weather gets nice and hot, whichever comes first."

She smiled and pulled away, carefully turning herself so that she could face A'tay. "So, the Gather, what is something that you would want to do while we're there?"

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A’tay was happy to latch onto the topic of the Gather and move away from the idea of swimming and whether or not he was boring. Not that he had any great Gather ideas though. There were only a handful of things on offer and he always ended up doing a bit of everything but somehow he had a feeling that wouldn’t be the answer Zelly would accept. Still, he gave it anyway.

“I was going to look for some new wood-working tools and maybe talk to any of the crafters that aren’t too busy. Get some ideas or tips, that sort of thing.” Okay, he was definitely boring. He warned her from the start!

“I like trying out foods and of course the dancing as well. If we happen to go on a day that my sister Mylorah is there, you’ll see her there for almost the entire day.” She was born to dance and twirl the day away without a care in the world about what anyone else thought about her. He watched her once and marvelled at how easily she could approach a stranger and get them to dance with her. Zelana was probably the same. “I think you would like her. If you haven’t already met her.”

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

Tools and talking, that didn't sound terribly exciting but she supposed it was a little interesting. He made things, and if he kept making them well he would perhaps make her something some day. If she encouraged him to make them on the beach he could at least be some company while she swam, even if he didn't join her in the water.

Maybe she should see if any of the boys in her candidate class would go swimming with her as well. Not that she'd be giving up on her little project to see if she could get A'tay to have fun. Zelly had initially been avoiding flirting with them too much to try and stay out of trouble, or to at least keep them out of trouble when she inevitably got into some. The mention of food and dancing recaptured her attention.

"Well we're definitely going dancing while we're there. What's your favorite type of food?" She glanced around conspiratorially as if someone could possibly eaves drop on them while they were alone on top of a dragon on the beach. "I like to cook, and trying to find new delicious recipes is fun. Maybe if you go into the water a bit deeper, I could try to cook something for you sometime. You can help me experiment by being my taste tester, and I can help you overcome your fears and learn to splash about and have fun with me. Gradually."

Hopefully he wouldn't think that too one-sided of an exchange. Or get annoyed that she brought up the water again. "Just think about it, you don't have to worry about me trying to shove you into the water right now."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

"Right now..." A'tay mumbled and barely stopped himself from rolling his eyes at how determined Zelana was. He was used to large personalities and even his dragon was a bit bossy at times when he felt like A'tay was holding himself back. But even Xyxyth eventually dropped a subject for longer than ten minutes. It was clear he was never going to get out of it.

I will be there to keep you safe, Xyxyth assured softly while showing how much confidence he had in A'tay to conquer his fear. I know. I wouldn't try it without you.

"I'm not fussy and will try anything. Growing up in a hidden away jungle had a few drawbacks--like a large variety of what could be made. So I do my best to sample everything new that I see." They did their best with maintaining gardens, living off what the island provided, and stealing supplies from the North, but it was still pretty basic and a small portion of what he had found since they returned.

"Finding new recipes with you could be fun and I wouldn't mind taste testing for you." He ignored the stipulation about deeper water since he really was currently over that topic. But plans for the Gather and food in general were safe and delicious!

Shadow apparently thought so as well as the chubby blue fire lizard appeared above their heads, sending images of food to A'tay who laughed. "This fella is Shadow and he's not picky about food either."

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

"Willing to sample everything new? That sounds quite brave. I'm not even sure if I'd sample everything." Zelly grinned, pleased to discover another sign that perhaps her new boring boy wasn't as boring as he claimed. She considered her own favorite dishes, mostly sweet baked goods and meals made of fish fresh from the sea, covered in spices and citrus. She could probably make one of those for A'tay to try.

But then she remembered the visitor her father had from some far off northern hold who had tried one of her favorite spicy dishes and nearly choked to death as he coughed and sputtered. "Do you like spicy food? I may have burnt a few sensitive tongues in the past. Some people have no tolerance for peppers."

Zelly looked up to study the blue fire lizard with a bit of curiosity. "Can he eat spicy things? I've never known anyone really who had a fire lizard." She frowned as she reconsidered. "Actually one of the other candidates I've met has a couple, they're nosy little things that get into everything. I usually ignore them though and they're usually busy poking around other peoples' belongings to bother me."

She gave Shadow a small wave and a smile. "I get the feeling yours probably takes after you and is a bit better behaved. Will he be joining us at the Gather too?" She bit her lip as she resisted the urge to offer to teach the fire lizard to swim too.

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

A'tay didn't think he was that brave for trying food. Though now he was a bit worried about why Zelana considered it that way. "How else will I know what I do and don't like? I know some people get sick from some foods so I guess that's a risk but I won't know that either until I try the wrong item, I guess." He didn't want to keep eating the same handful of meals for the rest of his life because he knew they were safe and he liked them. That sounded... boring. That was definitely a theme for the day, it seemed.

"I've had a few things that are spicy but I didn't think they were that bad. Are there levels of spiciness?" Some desserts were too sweet for him so if there could be too much sugar, then it made sense the same could happen with heat. But he was willing to try that as well. It was becoming clear that he might really like food and wanted to make it his goal to try everything. The thought of missing out on an amazing dish was pretty sad.

"Shadow's pretty well behaved for the most part. He can't help himself sometimes and gets into a little trouble but he's a good guy. And I don't think he would like spicy food. But who knows? He likes any form of meat and sometimes snacks of fruit." He was easily influenced as well and often led astray by other firelizards... and maybe people. A'tay started to worry about what Zelly would teach the boy.

"He'll tag along but he also likes to explore on his own. That's mostly where the trouble comes in but he's good for hanging out on shoulders and taking in the sights." A'tay waved Shadow down to sit on his shoulder and smiled as the firelizard settled down.

"What day works best for going to the Gather? My schedule is pretty open." A'tay winced as Shadow flexed his tiny claws into bare skin. The downside to not wearing a shirt but he didn't remove the firelizard.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

"Some people are afraid of anything different and new when it comes to food. Or they think something just looks plain gross. I have a food like that, I just don't want to try it because it looks like a bug and has tiny little beady black eyes. My brother likes them and teases me about it, but nope." Zelly frowned and shivered at the thought. She was sure they tasted just fine, otherwise why would the other members of her family eat them, but it was still something she hadn't been able to bring herself to do.

She was glad to move on to more pleasant food topics, like spice. "There are different levels of spiciness. Mild is usually pretty safe for everyone. Then there's medium, hot, extra hot, but none of those really mean anything because what I'd say was a very medium level of spice someone else would think could set their mouth on fire. We will have to experiment while we're at the Gather, browse the food stalls and have tiny samples of food."

Zelly eyed shadow curiously once he landed and decided to risk reaching out to let the creature sniff at her hand a moment before she tried giving him a pat on the head. "We'll have to get snacks for him too. Wouldn't want him to feel left out."

"As for what day..." she leaned back as she twirled her hair around a finger, thinking about her schedule. The sixteenth or seventeenth should work, but I think I can arrange to go another time if it would be better. I would just have to let them know and promise to make up whatever assignment or class they wanted me to take afterwards." Odds were though, they'd forget she was supposed to do any sort of makeup, so she could try for a nice fresh day of freedom from class. "Actually maybe sooner than that would be nice since now I'm excited about feeding you strange new things. Whenever works for you and I'm sure I can make it happen."

A'tay
of Bronze Xyxyth

Date of Birth
17.06.724, 20
Height
6'1
Eyes
Blue
Build
Slim
Hair
Blonde, short, messy

Threads

He wanted to tease her about the food she refused to try or even point out that he wouldn’t because he didn’t like being teased or prodded about his fear of water but A’tay was too nice for that. He saw the parallels, as weak as they were, but he’d feel like such a horrible person and friend. Besides, there was always the chance he would see the food and feel the same way given the way Zelana described it.

“That makes sense,” he said, focusing on the scale of spiciness instead. “I guess I can’t really gauge what kind of spicy food I had since maybe it was extra hot or mild and I reacted differently. But I’m kind of excited to try food with you and compare.” She seemed to know a lot more about food in general, especially since she liked to cook, so they definitely had to sample everything they came across.

Shadow jumped down to A’tay’s lap and then worked his way to Zelana’s after he deemed her to be an okay person. He settled in and looked up at her, giving a chirp of encouragement for her to go ahead and continue that petting she had timidly started with. “Looks like you made yet another friend today, though I get the feeling that’s not hard for you to do. You’re very outgoing.” A’tay wasn’t sure what the moment was when he realised he was now her friend. Maybe when she grabbed his arm and dragged him out to show her the beach. It was kind of hard to deny that he was stuck with her regardless.

“I can take you as early as tomorrow if you’re free. I’m young and a bronzerider so I don’t have a lot that keeps my schedule full right now. So you can find us at any time and we’ll head out. And speaking of heading out, did you want to swim some more or we can take you back up.” He wasn’t keen on the idea of flying even the short distance without proper gear since he would have a passenger but Xyxyth could waddle his dragon butt up the path if nothing else.

Date of Birth
13.07.724, 20
Height
5'2"
Eyes
dark brown
Build
thin
Hair
black

Threads

"It will be fun! I'm curious to see just how hot you can handle it." Zelly gave him a wink. She remembered his rather oblivious reaction to a few of her other flirtatious turns of phrase and smiled. It wouldn't matter to her if this little flirt also went over his head, it was honestly rather funny. Maybe she could turn it into another little game and see how long it took before he finally caught onto one of them and said anything, or otherwise reacted.

The little blue fire lizard crawling onto Zelly's lap distracted her from her little bout of plotting and she gave it a curious glance before smiling. She gently scratched at his head and neck before settling into stroking the odd little creature. And then she giggled as she thought about how she was petting A'tay's lizard. She doubted he would be so oblivious as to miss that innuendo though, so she kept it to herself for the moment. "Well I'm certainly glad to have more friends, especially such cute ones."

Zelly considered A'tay's offer. On the one hand more swimming was always welcome, but she didn't want to risk the cute bronzerider running off with his dragon. She'd had enough fun for now, and more importantly she knew how to get back when she wanted to have a swim later. "We can head back, I've had a good amount of beach fun for now. You certainly aren't nearly as boring as you tried to claim earlier." She grinned and adjusted so that she could lean back against A'tay again for the ride back. It had indeed been a good day, though she was still going to tease him as soon as they got back for forgetting and leaving their clothes behind.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)