World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Winter 01.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [C] 740.07.17 | Danger Sense
3 PM | R’dal

F'drel
of Green Halomirth

Date of Birth
25.09.718, 26
Height
6'4"
Eyes
blueish hazel
Build
Fit
Hair
Dark brown

Threads

Written By: Zandelion
Halomirth had spent a surprising amount of time chatting with Quinvalis - F’drel loitering awkwardly and occasionally answering questions directed at him - before they had brought him back to Fort Weyr. It was almost certain Miri would be asking to go to Fort even more often now, so she could visit her new Candidate friend, which of course F’drel was thrilled about. Just overjoyed.

Once Miri determined Quinvalis was properly settled back in his home Weyr, the two of them returned to the Gather. Halomirth went back to cuddling with Edath, chirping happily at him in greeting before settling down alongside him. His dragon comfortable, F’drel went back to aimlessly wandering the Gather, half trying to track down his siblings and make sure they didn’t need him. He didn’t find his sisters or his brother (and the Lady who seemed far too invested in giving him gifts), but he did spot R’dal. F’drel would have continued looking for his siblings - R’dal didn’t need him hovering around all the time, he had other friends to spend time with - but he got a good look at the man R’dal was talking to and froze. Older, very well dressed, and the way he held himself was unmistakable - the self assured arrogance of a Lord.

What the fuck was R’dal doing? It looked like he was being his usual bubbly self and chatting with the lord, trying to make friends or something, like people could just befriend lords. And everything about this one screamed ‘danger’ to F’drel. All lords did, but this one especially set off every warning he had. He couldn’t breathe. R’dal wasn’t safe anywhere near this man, he needed to get away, if he didn’t he’d be hurt. F’drel was moving forward before he’d thought it through, weaving through people until he reached R’dal and the lord.

“Pardon the intrusion, my Lord,” he said with a polite bow, “I need his assistance on a matter of some importance. Please excuse us.” F’drel gave another short bow and put his hand on R’dal’s arm, guiding him away, walking as quickly as he dared. He didn’t slow down or say anything until they’d reached the dragons, though at some point along the way the hand on R’dal’s arm had turned into a vice grip.

Miri was standing up when they got there, eyes whirling in distress at her rider’s tumultuous emotional state. She whined softly, confused, and reached her head out towards F’drel with her head. F’drel silently walked over to rub her nose, leaning into her head for a moment and attempting to use the comfort of her presence to help get his breathing back to normal. It didn’t really work, and eventually he spun around to glare at R’dal.

“What the fuck were you thinking, R’dal, if you were at all?” he demanded. F’drel was trying so hard to keep from shaking, to keep breathing. This was why he hadn’t wanted to go to the Gather, but if he hadn’t been here there wouldn’t have been anyone to keep R’dal from that lord, and F’drel was positive R’dal would have gotten hurt. He couldn’t let that happen, not to R’dal, he couldn’t, he knew what lords would do to gullible young men. R’dal had never been very good at identifying dangerous people, he still thought D’hys was a decent person, it was going to get him in so much trouble one day, and please let it not be that day. F’drel had gotten him away, it would be fine, but R’dal needed to understand.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
R'dal had been having fun, chatting with Lord Raigan, answering his questions truthfully and without hesitation, and thinking nothing of it. How did you learn about someone if you didn't ask? Well, F'drel was the exception. R'dal learned not to ask about some things but that was okay since F'drel was amiable in other ways and he still felt like they were close friends. Raigan didn't give out too much information himself, doing most of the questioning as they walked--though R'dal didn't know what the destination was. He had just offered himself up as a bodyguard of sorts and to keep the lonely-looking Lord company so he was happy to go with him wherever he wanted.

He was just about to ask what the plan was when F'drel appeared in a flurry of words and bowing and suddenly R'dal found himself being dragged away. He called out an apology and farewell to Raigan before looking worriedly at F'drel. What was so urgent? Why was he needed? Oh no! Something was wrong with Halomirth and F'drel was too panicked to say anything more, which also explained why his grip was so tight. R'dal winced at the pressure but didn't say anything, just tried to keep up with the pace, his own panic rising at what could have happened.

But when they arrived at their dragons and he saw both were fine, though a bit upset themselves, R'dal was confused. Even more so when F'drel turned on him. What did he do now to deserve being yelled at? He hadn't accidentally almost drowned any friends that day. In fact, he hadn't done much but wander around the Gather, try some food, chat with friends, and make new friends. But whatever it was he did, it was bad. F'drel was shaking and angrier than he'd ever been and R'dal felt tears welling up because he didn't know and that made him even more terrible of a person.

"I don't know what I did. I'm sorry!" The confused expression turned into a frown, lower lip jutting out a bit in a pout that trembled from trying not to cry. He could see Nerreh and even Mylorah reacting with shock and anger of their own at being accused of something even if they didn't know what it was. Or maybe they would know, picking up on whatever F'drel was mad about. But R'dal just felt like a dumb child that broke a rule that he clearly should have known about and still didn't even while being punished.

Maybe F'drel had heard about someone running into a Lord and assumed it was him because he was walking with one. That wouldn't do! It wasn't him! "I was only browsing at a stall when someone else ran into Lord Raigan! It wasn't me. I just went over to make sure he was okay, I swear it! I wasn't causing any problems. And he looked sad and was alone so I offered to hang out with him for a bit and he liked that. I wasn't bothering him." R'dal sniffled twice, his nose starting to run a bit thanks to trying to stave off the tears. F'drel couldn't hate him; he couldn't!

F'drel
of Green Halomirth

Date of Birth
25.09.718, 26
Height
6'4"
Eyes
blueish hazel
Build
Fit
Hair
Dark brown

Threads

Of course, of course R’dal had no idea what he was talking about, why would he, he was an oblivious weyrbrat who’d grown up in a jungle, he knew nothing of lords. But he was living here now, and he needed to, or he would get hurt and F’drel couldn’t bear that. What if R’dal being so open and trusting led to a lord taking advantage of him, hurt him so much he was never the same, became more like F’drel? No, it couldn’t be allowed to happen.

Except now R’dal was near tears because of him, which made everything worse. F’drel wasn’t trying to make him cry, he just wanted to keep R’dal safe!

“I’m not mad at you, I’m afraid,” F’drel snapped, trying not to glare. It never fully registered to him how his fear tended to manifest as anger. But it was never anger at R’dal, not really, F’drel’s anger was for the lord he’d pulled R’dal away from, for every lord who thought they could do whatever the fuck they wanted, for his lord, for fucking all of it.

“He didn’t want to be your friend, R’dal, he wanted to take advantage of you, and you wouldn’t have noticed until it was too late.” He bit out the words, the knowledge they were still in a public place keeping his voice from rising above a normal speaking volume. F’drel didn’t want to make R’dal upset but he didn’t understand, and he had to. He had to make him understand.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

R’dal was still leaning more towards F’drel being mad than afraid but he didn’t point that out, knowing it would actually make F’drel mad. He still wasn’t entirely sure why there was even a reason to be afraid, even with the vague explanation. Maybe being friends was a bit of a stretch since they had just met and were in very different stations in life, but they could have started down the path to friendship! Maybe even by the time they parted ways for the day they would have set up a time to get together again in the future to build a solid friendship.

It certainly didn’t seem like he was being taken advantage of, though F’drel said Raigan wanted to, not that he had been. How would he do it? He was being nothing but kind to him, which was pretty cool to have a Lord Holder pay such attention to him! Raigan was pretty handsome for an old guy as well so it seemed to have an even harder effect on R’dal and his admiration for the man. But he was a Lord Holder! They weren’t interested in men and R’dal knew that and wasn’t about to make a move on the Lord and didn’t even expect to one day be able to enjoy naps together like he did with all of his Weyr friends. So what the heck kind of being taken advantage of was F’drel talking about?

“Why do you always have to see the worst in everyone?” He blurted out, almost surprising himself with the question. But it was true! He loved F’drel and his grumpiness, but the greenrider really did seem to suspect everyone as an enemy and never wanted to be around groups or interact with anyone if he didn’t have to. Why?

F'drel
of Green Halomirth

Date of Birth
25.09.718, 26
Height
6'4"
Eyes
blueish hazel
Build
Fit
Hair
Dark brown

Threads

The question caught F’drel by surprise and startled an answer from him. “Because I don’t want to get hurt again,” he said quietly, almost without thinking about the words he was saying, “or see the people I care about get hurt.” His siblings, R’dal, Mylorah, A’tay… Growing up, it was made clear to F’drel that no one else cared about him or his family, outside of what they could provide for someone. That was how it worked. People were either family or they were trying to find the best way to use you. And when you were a drudge, and even as a greenrider, there was no way to truly avoid being used by others, but there were ways to mitigate the damage. Constant vigilance and skepticism were ways to help achieve that. It was just how the world worked, even if it sucked.

And sometimes it was necessary to let someone use him to avoid something worse, but F’drel knew what he was getting into, and that made it easier to navigate, and he wasn’t surprised when people hurt him. It was expected. He didn’t have to like it, but he had to live it. And in the world, as he knew it, older lords didn’t just hang out with young dragonriders because they were friendly, it was because they thought they could get something from the dragonrider. The way that lord - Raigan, R’dal had said - had looked at R’dal was far too familiar to F’drel, and the sick feeling in his stomach was a clear enough indicator what the man was after from his friend. Just because R’dal didn’t recognize it didn’t mean it wasn’t there - the bluerider didn’t know what to look for. F’drel did, all too well.

After a few moments of silence what he’d said out loud caught up to F’drel and he flushed. He hadn’t meant to say something so personal in a public place, even if there didn’t seem to be anyone around other than him, R’dal, and dragons. It was still too much. But F’drel needed R’dal to understand.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

Again? That would imply someone had hurt F’drel before and R’dal wasn’t a fan of that idea. The pout returned, but it wasn’t from being yelled at this time. How could anyone be cruel to F’drel? Why did it happen? Why couldn’t F’drel stop it? He wanted to know what happened and who did it but R’dal wondered if his friend was going into shutdown mode again because he realised he said too much. But even with that little insight, it helped R’dal figure out why F’drel was always guarded and how much of a burden he carried by constantly looking out for everyone he did care for.

It also meant F’drel was skilled in seeing what R’dal couldn’t and knew the signs of trouble. Maybe Lord Raigan was up to no good and that disappointed the bluerider because the man had been nice and not horrible company to be around. But if F’drel said to be careful, then he was going to try his best and be careful.

R’dal flung himself at F’drel, wrapping his arms around his friend’s waist and burying his face against a warm neck. “I’m sorry I make you worry. I’ll try to do better for you.” He didn’t want to be a burden to anyone, least of all a friend that was so dedicated to constantly keeping alert for everyone else. He supposed it was another drawback to growing up in a jungle. He knew how to spot danger when out in the trees where an animal could strike and sure, they had some shady people in Katila but not many and it was harder to get away with things given their small community. But he didn’t know what to expect from Holders and what went down at Gathers—F’drel obviously did and maybe he needed to give out some lessons but R’dal didn’t want to push him either.

“And you don’t have to tell me anything else if you don’t want to,” F’drel wasn’t exactly the type to share stories from his past and while R’dal couldn’t pick up on danger, he could pick up on when something troubled a friend. F’drel faced things he shouldn’t have and was it better or worse to share it with someone? That was the part R’dal wasn’t sure about but he didn’t want to pressure him if he wasn’t ready.

F'drel
of Green Halomirth

Date of Birth
25.09.718, 26
Height
6'4"
Eyes
blueish hazel
Build
Fit
Hair
Dark brown

Threads

If F’drel had been thinking at all he would have expected R’dal’s reaction, but as it stood he was too lost in his own head; he flinched noticeably when R’dal first touched him. Thankfully the fact it was R’dal, someone safe, registered fairly quickly, and F’drel managed to relax into the hug, though he couldn’t stop himself from shaking.

“I want you to be careful for yourself, not for me,” F’drel said quietly, his cheek pressed to R’dal’s head. His breath moved R’dal’s hair when he spoke, tickling his face. He kept talking anyway.

“I can’t tell you here, but maybe some other time…” he trailed off, uncertain. Talking about it sounded awful, but despite what R’dal said about doing better F’drel didn’t think he’d truly be able to stick to it without understanding just what people were willing to do to others - liked doing, even. Hopefully R’dal would never get first hand experience to help him understand, but he had to get a better idea than he currently had.

He wouldn’t be hearing of it at the Gather, in any case. There was no way F’drel could speak of these things in public, especially since many of the people involved were possibly at the Gather. The thought made F’drel’s blood run cold; what if any of his siblings encountered any of the lords of Nabol? Any of them could have decided to attend the Gather. What if they saw his siblings and approached them? What if he was around?

“I need to find my sisters,” F’drel said suddenly, pulling away from R’dal and out of the hug. Why had he left them alone? Stupid, stupid greenrider, how could he berate R’dal when he’d also been an idiot? He really was terrible.

R'dal
of Blue Edath

Date of Birth
21.11.721, 23
Height
6'2
Eyes
Brown
Build
Trim
Hair
Dark, longer

Threads

He was hugging F'drel and then suddenly he wasn't. R'dal rapidly blinked a few times as he got his bearings and then frowned yet again at why they were no longer hugging. His friend was a mess today and R'dal knew he had been the cause for it and that only made him feel even worse for not knowing when someone was dangerous. But he knew now not to trust Lords so he'd be careful around the next one he came across. He promised F'drel he would and he meant it!

Of course it made sense that F'drel would suddenly worry about his sisters, though since they grew up with F'drel, they probably had a better understanding of who was safe or not. Still, R'dal admired the protective big brother routine and hoped he was like that with his own siblings. He always tried to be there when they needed him but he probably wasn't very intimidating for keeping trouble away from them. He'd have to work on that as well.

But first, F'drel's siblings! "I'll help you look for them!" R'dal liked F'drel's sisters. Some of them reminded him of their brother though the youngest was a ball of energy and fun. He didn't get to see them too often since they all worked in a Hold and he didn't want to get them in trouble by distracting them from work, but every time F'drel needed help bringing them and the Lord and Lady anywhere, R'dal jumped at the chance to assist.

"Two pairs of eyes are better, right? And we can talk any time you're ready to. I'm always around for you." R'dal gave a brilliant smile and took F'drel's hand in his. He doubted that would last for long but for the moment, it helped get the point across that he really was there to help or listen or anything F'drel needed. They were friends after all!

F'drel
of Green Halomirth

Date of Birth
25.09.718, 26
Height
6'4"
Eyes
blueish hazel
Build
Fit
Hair
Dark brown

Threads

F’drel nodded at R’dal’s offer of help, though he wasn’t totally listening. R’dal was safely away from the Lord for the moment, and if they were lucky - which F’drel rarely was - the man would forget all about the young bluerider he met at the Gather. He knew where R’dal was, which meant F’drel could confirm his (relative) safety. But he didn’t know where any of his siblings were, and therefore couldn’t be sure of any of their safety. As sure as he ever could be, anyway.

He very nearly tore his hand away when R’dal took it, forgetting for a split second that he knew exactly who was there, whose hand it was, but there was a second, stronger impulse to hold onto R’dal’s hand, tighter. The second impulse won for the moment. If R’dal was allowed to wander off on his own again, no matter what he intended, F’drel knew he would try to make friends with someone else he should never willingly interact with. Safer right there with F’drel. And maybe, just maybe, F’drel found the contact a tiny bit comforting. Wasn’t enough to bring him down from his panicked state, but it helped a little.

F’drel kept his grip on R’dal’s hand until they reached the end of the cover from lounging dragons, at which point his worries about a Holder seeing that won out, and he reluctantly dropped R’dal’s hand before they returned to the Gather proper.

“We’ll start where I last saw them,” he decided, heading in that direction. It sucked that Miri couldn’t just check in with one of them to ask where they were, but she wasn’t good at reaching other people that far in good conditions, and with the sheer number of people at the Gather there was no way she could find them. They just had to find them by looking, and F’drel walked quickly towards the stall he’d last seen the girls, constantly checking over his shoulder to confirm R’dal was still there, still safe, still with him.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)