World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

[G] [P] [EVENT] 740.06.27 | Touch of Pride
5PM | L’gan

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Written By: ThistleProse
Madiquel was in high spirits as she left the classroom she’d spent the last four hours in, and made her way to the room she shared with a couple of other girls. There weren’t that many of them in the Hall, but Vaera had told her there were more, now, since Madiquel had started, than there ever had been in the history she was aware of. Honestly, if she let herself think on it, Madiquel was pleased – proud even – of the change her desire to help the Weyr had brought about in a world so far removed from her own. That wasn’t to say she was unaware of the difficulties presented to both herself, and the other women. She’d heard the whispers and some not at all subtle remarks that were aimed at them. Silly things, but things she’d heard before. After all, people mocked her father and she’d seen the way female greenriders were treated.

This, at least… no one was expecting anything untoward of her in that regard, for which Madiquel was extremely grateful! She still blushed crimson at the mention of holding hands or dating, and she’d been teased by some of her new friends when they had pointed out a couple of attractive Journeymen who were only slightly older than themselves. To be fair, he’d been tall, fair and had glorious golden hair that Madiquel had agreed would be lovely to play with. Though she certainly had not said any such thing! Of course, her crimson blush and wide eyes was more than enough fodder. Madiquel still couldn’t believe the things the girls believed about dragonriders having sex around every corner! Outrageous!

Dropping her books and bag into the chest at the foot of her bed, Madiquel locked it with the decorative and intricate lock that T’ryn had bought for her. It was fancy, but he’d told her that the crafter had been very stout in the fact that it would be almost impossible to pick – so ‘don’t lose the key!’ – though Madiquel was quite sure T’ryn would kidnap the said crafter to come and unlock it himself if she did lose the key! Madiquel giggled at the idea of a serious and frowning craftsman being snatched up by Syrendryth, whom she was always led to believe was equally as serious, and bring him to her to work magic on a keyless lock. Shaking her head, Madiquel squeaked when Clover appeared abruptly before her, and dropped a letter into her hand. Beaming, Madiquel quickly recognised A’tay’s handwriting spelling her name across the front of the roll – as if Clover would give it to anyone but her!

“Hello little missy!” petting the firelizard – who had landed on her shoulder – Madiquel made her way cheerfully towards the dining hall, knowing that even though it wasn’t quite dinner time, the earlier released classes – such as her own – would be taking their seats and preparing to eat. She’d been delighted to discover that the Hall wasn’t as formal as it was in the stories; massive Hall-wide dining only seemed to occur when there was someone to Walk the Tables. Which, in Madiquel’s opinion, made sense. After all, feeding the thousands of people in the Hall all at once every night would be ridiculously exhausting for the poor cooks! “Speaking of,” Madiquel said with a frown to Clover, “I believe I’m on dish duty tonight.” Which would start around eight pm, so she had some time!

Striding confidently into the Dining Hall, Madiquel looked around for any of her new friends as she lined up to get herself a plate for food and a glass for drink. As she piled foods on her plate, she continued to look around. Only spotting a couple – and all of them at full tables – Madiquel instead started looking around for tables with fewer people at them, so she could read and reply to A’tay’s letter. It was as she was pouring gravy over her meats that Madiquel spotted L’gan. He was on his own – she could see a couple moving away. Class mates? – and she considered before nodding to herself. Vaera and a couple of the other girls had been whispering about him, and been quite insistent that Madiquel arrange for them to meet him (really, Madiquel figured they were really aiming at his dragon, since she was far too innocent to consider the fact that they might be serious in any quips about bedding the man).

Picking up her plate, and carefully balancing her cup on the rim, Madiquel made her way towards L’gan, arriving safely from behind the man she carefully set her stuff down on the table a polite distance away from him, and then climbed onto the bench. “I hope you don’t mind some more company,” she said politely, flashing the greenrider a gentle smile. “Did you have a busy day? Honestly, I’m surprised I’m so hungry after the stuff I saw today!” Really, she’d forgotten about her tendency to feel faint at the sight of blood, when she’d decided she wanted to be a healer. Though, after six months of training, she was pleased to discover that while she still (frequently) felt faint, she hadn’t yet embarrassed herself. Just gone pasty.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

L'gan
of Green Semath

Date of Birth
03.01.712, 33
Height
5'9
Eyes
Stormy grey
Build
Slight
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

Written By: ValGal9
Returning to the Hall had been difficult to say the least, but L’gan felt like he was making progress finally. If some of his former friends preferred to ignore him, well… their loss. He had been pleased to hear of R’nya and Verec’s arrangement, and helped out the women of the weyr when he could.

Lost in his thoughts, he didn’t notice her approach until a plate was set beside him. He smiled at her greeting, gesturing with a hand at the space beside him. “Please, I’d be happy for the company. Madiquel, right?” He had noticed the young woman in with the others from Fort and was impressed with her drive. While it wasn’t unusual for women in a hold or Weyr to learn some first aid or medicine preparation, to actually apply to learn at the Hall took guts.

He laughed, thinking back on the busy day he had just finished. “Busy doesn’t even begin to cover it,” he replied, taking a sip of his drink. “Between working in the clinic all morning and lessons in the compounding lab this afternoon, I’ve barely had a chance to sit or eat.”

When she mentioned her surprise at her appetite he laughed again, knowing that emotion all too well. “Sometimes the mind does strange things. There’s times after the simplest stitches I’ve felt greener than Semath, and then I’ll turn around and feel like I could devour an entire roast and wherry by myself after a long and bloody surgery. There’s no accounting for it, but it’s better than the alternative.”

L’gan took a bite, looking thoughtful. “If you don’t mind me asking, what drew you to the craft?” Personally he had known as a child, watching his mother helping prepare dressings and things and remembering her tidy, secure stitches, neater even than some of the healers he’d thought.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel smiled serenely at the agreement for her company and settled into devouring her meal as L’gan spoke, only nodding at intervals – such as to affirm her name – though she didn’t do anything so monstrous as make a mess. Katilan born, Madiquel had never gone hungry, but she was well aware of all the hard work that went into preparing a meal, from the collection to the final destination upon the table. Part of her chores as a child had been assisting with finding greens or fruit, or helping in the kitchen since she’d had no stomach for skinning or cleaning kills. As a result, Madiquel always said her please and thank you, and she never ate without quiet dignity and appreciation for what was before her.

“I’m glad its normal,” Madiquel said, her amusement in her voice as she paused, picking up her glass. It was filled with simple water. She knew others enjoyed wine, mead or juice with their meals, but Madiquel enjoyed simple, fresh water. Sometimes, she’d drink mulled wine, or heavily watered wine, when she was having a girls evening with Rhaedalyn and the children. But that made her miss home, and after the first experience, she had stuck to her familiar but not so bitter-sweet water.

The question that followed had a small smile flicking Madiquel’s lips. It was a common one, and while folks didn’t know she was the catalyst for the influx of Weyrfolk and women in the Hall, that didn’t stop the question from being sprung on her. Madiquel had heard it asked of many of the others, and indeed, it was one of the questions Verec had asked her. And her father. And R’nya. The answer came easily, now. “I want to be useful,” she said, with quiet but firm honesty. “When my friend got mauled,” she didn’t bother to specify which one. A’tay was embarrassed by the event, and really, so many of the Candidates had been mauled in one way or another over the past several Turns that it wasn’t a surprise event. “It all kind of…” she shrugged, falling away. The event on the Sands had been the catalyst, but it had taken a bit of time to go from event to full-fledged idea.

“What about yourself?” she asked, giving a playful smile. Some people had actually seemed taken aback when she asked them the question, they sprung on her. Others had answered with the same easy familiarity she had found over time. It was a nice change, from the ‘why don’t you want to be a candidate/dragonrider?’ she had had to field over her lifetime. She was just glad all of her weyr-friends had picked up on it, and none of them pressured her for an answer or tried to change her mind. They’d all been so supportive since she’d come to the Hall, too! Remembering A’tay’s letter to her, she touched the edge of the roll tucked into her belt, anxious to read it, but wanting to do so when she was alone and could reply to her friend right after she’d read it.

L'gan
of Green Semath

Date of Birth
03.01.712, 33
Height
5'9
Eyes
Stormy grey
Build
Slight
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

L’gan wasn’t surprised when she lobbed his question back at him. He smiled and replied genuinely. “I suppose I’ve always wanted to. I grew up here after the Weyrs were abandoned; my mother and I had nowhere else to go after my father and Gemith went between. So we came here.” The smile remained, though a hint of sadness had entered his eyes as he spoke.

“She taught me stitches she had used on dragon wings and told stories of Weyr life to me and to others left behind, keeping it alive for us. And then I was just so curious and myself so useful they had to ‘prentice me or risk losing me to another hall. With my love of learning and books the Harpers would have snatched me up before they thought to check if I had an ear for tone or rhythm,” he joked with a wink. “Then once I was finally in, they couldn’t shake me off. Master Aerin used to say I soaked up skills faster than a sponge. He was,” he paused, “less than thrilled when I Impressed. His son was stolen and died on the sands, so he doesn’t have much faith in riders these days.”

He cleared his throat and took another sip of wine. “Still, it gave me a great subject for anatomical studies of dragons. No more pestering random riders to draw their dragons, just bribing Semath with oilings and baths.” He’d been horrified and elated that day on the sands, worried about what the Hall would do or say, but he would never have given her up for anything in the world. “And those have come in handy for some of the classes you and the others are taking, I heard. I’m just glad to have some records newer than 20 turns old to use, even if I’ve had to compile a fair amount of them myself.”

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

An expression of deep sadness swept over Madiquel's face at the mention of L’gan’s family surviving the Plague. While it had only taken the lives of the dragons directly, Madiquel knew it had affected so many people as a result. Dragonriders were, of course, the highest impact, but the nonrider family, friends, community had been hit hard. Even within the Hall, Madiquel had heard whispers about men and women who live there, that had survived their dragon’s suicide. Like her Papa. Madiquel missed him so, even though she’d seen him not too long ago, and they’d already planned their next picnic lunch.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” It was a generic response, but one deeply sincere from the teen as she stared at L’gan, wondering who the Healer was (she hadn’t crossed paths with the man… yet?) and who his son had been. So many youth died on the Sands; Madiquel knew it was a number that was toned down and kept quiet, because the Weyr couldn’t afford for people to turn away being Searched, and statistically, the Candidates were more likely to walk off the Sands, than they were to get mauled. She was pretty sure they technically had more chance of Impression than dying, but she’d never done that math.

A sudden smile lit up Madiquel’s face, as L’gan brought up pestering dragonriders himself, and she latched onto it with a giggle. “Speaking of pestering dragonriders,” she teased, eyes bright with mirth. “Some of my classmates are dying to meet you,” she laughed, clearly indicating with a scrunched up nose and amused expression that it wasn’t L’gan that the girls were so much interested in, as the dragon he was bonded to. “Would you or Semath mind terribly? They’ve never seen a dragon up close, and R’nya’s Xyreith is terribly intimidating.” The Weyrleader was the one who had dropped her off, and while he visited upon occasion with (or without) Rhaedalyn and the girls, Madiquel had never been quite confident enough to ask if her classmates could meet the bronze. He was kind of scary, and not at all approachable. Not like greens usually were!

Madiquel beamed hopefully up at L’gan.

L'gan
of Green Semath

Date of Birth
03.01.712, 33
Height
5'9
Eyes
Stormy grey
Build
Slight
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

“It’s been a while,” he replied. While the pain of such a loss would never go away, he hoped it would fade for the other man with time. “He’s beginning to come around, but I try to not remind him of it if I can.”

He finished off his plate and lingered, sipping his drink while they talked more. At the mention of introductions, he chuckled. “Semath would love it. She adores meeting new people and being the center of attention.” L’gan laughed as she mentioned the Fort Weyrleader and his dragon with nerves. “Too true! I think they must practice it,” he joked. “But I’ve yet to find a young green who doesn’t like pretty new friends, especially if they flatter her,” he added with a wink.

“Let your friends know we’d be happy to meet them.” The greenrider grinned.

M'quel
of Green Zezeth

Date of Birth
20.07.724 AL, 20
Height
5'6
Eyes
Green
Build
Lithe
Hair
Brown

Threads

Madiquel clapped her hands in an innocent display of her joy, her smile fixed on her face and eyes bright. “Oh, that would be wonderful!” Her voice was low, but only so that she didn't squeal and disrupt all the people occupied with eating their food.

“Do you have a time or day you’re more readily available?” She asked, reaching up to offer Clover a scrap of her food; she’d mostly finished her meal and was just passing time now. Honestly, Madiquel wasn’t in a rush to leave, as she didn’t have any classes that evening, and was too inexperienced to be put on the work schedule. She did, however, have a ton of homework to get done.

But that would be for after she’d read the letter from TayTay and responded to it! But that, too, would wait a little longer as she wrapped up her socialising with L’gan and made arrangements for some of her classmates to meet the green dragon he was bonded to. Maybe she’d send Clover to one of the guys at some point, too! Their blues were all super friendly, and of course T’ryn was wonderful though Madiquel felt his Syrendryth was somewhat standoffish and probably wouldn’t overly enjoy being gushed over… Hrm.

“We’re usually all free post dinner at the moment, but I know you probably are a little more stretched for time.” Madiquel smiled sweetly, and hoped for a time that would work for all of them to meet Semath - hopefully before it got completely dark so everyone could see her pretty hide up close!

L'gan
of Green Semath

Date of Birth
03.01.712, 33
Height
5'9
Eyes
Stormy grey
Build
Slight
Hair
Dark brown, curly

Threads

He grinned at her enthusiasm and offered her firelizard a little nibble as well, stroking her head gently. “Definitely post supper. But we’re also around just before breakfast and we could come earlier if you want. See her in the light,” he added with a wink. They talked about their plans, finding the perfect time.

“Classes going well? Struggling with anything?” L’gan asked. “I could help if you’d like.” He laughed as Clover clambered over to him greedy for attention. “If only to distract this one while you work.”

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)