World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

A Numbweed Situation? [Talian]

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Written By: SunsetWay
Valerian was not happy. In fact, he was decidedly annoyed and irritated. As he made his way from his room in the Candidates Barracks to the Healing Hall he thought of every single word to describe his foul mood, having them set to a simple tune before he was halfway there. Annoyed, irritated, aggravated, mad, angry, cranky, inconvenienced, put out… it went on and on though it didn’t improve his mood. When his thoughts switched to a specific green dragon and her chucklehead rider, the catalyst to his current state, he could almost crack a smile. He had more or less been kidnapped from the chore of picking numbweed with the rest of the poor souls stuck in the horrible task. At the time it seemed like a great way to get out of it and it ended up being an amazing experience that Valerian wouldn’t trade for anything. At least not until the following morning; today.

G’rem didn’t take too kindly to losing a pair of hands and instead of taking it out on B’jin, or maybe he did, Valerian hadn’t been told, the cranky old bluerider had decided the spoiled Harper could make up for the lost time and pick extra leaves for a longer period of time. He had mentally sworn up a storm, thoughts aimed at Larrikith to pass along to B’jin though he was certain the spunky green hadn’t caught a word of it. He had harvested the foul-smelling but useful plant all morning and into the afternoon, mood growing sourer from the heat that was still a tad on the uncomfortable side with the sun in its highest peak. When he was finally set free just as the dinner hour began, Valerian ate quickly and quietly before retiring to his room where thoughts of sleep were appealing but not long into lying down did his wrists begin to stiffen and throb.

So there he was, now alphabetizing his mood descriptors as he walked through the main door of the Healing Hall, ignoring an older Healer by giving a painful dismissing wave of his hand with a mumbled ‘Talian’ before heading for the room the woman pointed him to. At the threshold of the room, Valerian stopped and counted to ten. It wasn’t Talian’s fault he was in pain and since he was the quiet and sensitive friend, it wouldn’t serve either of them to snap without reason thus causing the Healer to shrink back into his shell despite their little bonding session a while ago that showed Valerian could be harmless. Instead he knocked on the door, wincing as even that caused his left wrist to scream at him and greeted the man in a fairly proper manner, “Hey, Talian.”

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
Talian always expected he'd be more proud of his first office. He stood in the disappointingly minimal room, all but glaring at it's walls as he surveyed them. It's not like he had any real possessions or anything to decorate it with. While it felt tragically boring, it was his own functional space. He'd amassed a small collection of books and now had a small plant sitting in the window. That was...a start.

Oh well, he thought. He wasn't terribly imaginative to begin with, perhaps it was best it stay this way. Who knew what atrocities he'd commit against style and good taste if he had more to work with.

His survey was interrupted by a knock. Tal's paranoid eyes darted to the door, but he was realized to hear a familiar albeit muffled voice drift from the other side. "Valerian?"

Talian walked to the door and opened it, pleased to see a familiar face. "Hello," Talian said. It didn't take long for him to notice the man's wounded wrist. Talian immediately frowned. "Val...What did you do to yourself?" he inquired. He shortened his friend's name to 'Val' out of instinct, since the man's full name was far too similar to that of Talian's hated father. He found it somewhat amusing that their nicknamed rhymed as well. It was a fun coincidence.

"Come on in," Talian beckoned quickly, still eyeing the swollen wrist with a shameful amount of curiosity. He was concerned, of course, but what the shards? "Have a seat. What did you do to yourself?" he inquired.

PA - 100 PostsPA - 250 Posts!!PA - 500 Posts!PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

The shock of hearing the nickname registered only briefly with green eyes widening and darting to Talian. It wasn't the first time Valerian had been called that name as Erisi was fond of using it but he hadn't expected it from the proper young healer that seemed like he would break if a rule was bent. But the name earned Talian a small smile before his frown returned at the mentioning of his wrist. Leave it to a healer to cut right to the chase when it came to a medical situation and take away the glory of whining. Still, it beat working their way through any polite routines that one of them may have wanted to observe and he wasn't really one to be subtle so Valerian appreciated the bluntness.

"I didn't do anything to myself. B'jin and Larrikith did," he sighed and ran his right wrist, the one that didn't hurt quite as badly, through his hair before making himself at home by flopping down in a chair. "Well, they started it. They grabbed me from numbweed harvesting yesterday to go hunting with them." A quick glance at Talian and Valerian decided it was best not to mention the joyride he had been given. The healer probably would have a stroke hearing about him riding in death's hands. Come to think of it, perhaps the way he had clung to the riding straps had started the throb in his wrists and his punishment had further incited it. Either way, the next time he saw that troublesome duo he would make sure they knew about his suffering.

"G'rem's in charge of the harvesting and didn't like me leaving so I had to pick extra today." Valerian stared at his wrists and poked the left one that actually was swollen, something he hadn't noticed before Talian mentioned it he had been cradling it and poking at it for the last hour so it wasn't entirely in sight. Now that he realized it was swollen on top of causing him discomfort and disrupting a nap, Valerian simply scowled at the offending areas. "So I guess I'm here for some numbweed in salve form."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian frowned and promptly snatched Valerian's forearm, eyes locking on the irritated wrist. "B'jin swooped down and snatched you, eh?" he asked in an impossibly dry tone. "He kind of does that sometimes." A curt pause. "Not much you can do about that." It seemed the healer was developing a sense of humor, albeit a dark one. Oddly enough, this sharp comment was still delivered in Talian's normal smooth, mellow voice. It made him sound more like a mumbling eccentric than the grumpy cynic that he imagined he sounded like. Talian didn't appear to have fangs even when actively trying to.

He followed Valerian to his seat before taking the wrist again, inspecting it carefully. "Looks like you may have pulled it a bit," he commented. He glowered in distaste at the story. G'rem reminded him of some of the masters back at his hall, and he didn't care for it. There was a reason he kept his head low around the man. Talian was an expert at keeping his head low around hard men. "I can certainly get you some numbweed for it," he continued. He placed one finger on the puffy flesh and applied just a tiny amount of pressure. Unimpressed, he quirked a brow. "I would suggest wrapping it, but I think it's a minor enough stretch that a wrap would just be in the way," he murmured. He didn't adopt his overly-polite 'healer' voice this time. He was, after all, treating a friend.

He was still all business, though. He released Valerian's wrist and moved to the other side of the room to fetch some numbweed. "I'm sorry to hear about that..." he sighed as he spun around. He brought the salve and smiled, motioning for Val to hold his hand out. Talian thought the expectations of the weyr administration were ridiculous, but he didn't need to say it for it to be obvious.

"...How have you been?" he asked, his tone becoming more personable but still refusing to brighten. The healer's mood was dim today, but Valerian's appearance helped a bit. He'd enjoyed the other man's company since the incident in the dining caverns, though he still wanted to know the harper better. "It's been a while."

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Valerian tried to keep his frown in place or at the very least wear a neutral expression while Talian poked at his wrist and was all business, but the response he had been given about B’jin kept circling his head, making him want to smile. The morning that Talian’s experimenting with drugs had gone awry, Valerian had teased the healer about having a sexual relationship with the greenrider though he didn’t actually believe it. He sometimes just liked to say things that would fluster people. It was obvious they did have some sort of relationship, however, and to hear B’jin talked about in such a tone where it made both subject and presenter sound like they believed such things as swooping out of the sky to kidnap people was normal left him wondering how often it happened to Talian. “It’s a part of their charm, I guess. I don’t mind since I like them. Well, Larrikith anyway. B’jin’s too chipper no matter the hour. It’s kind of disgusting.” Even as he complained, the small crooked half-smile was in place. It was hard to hate a man that was a Harper, took him on crazy rides, and humoured him by answering every single question he could come up with.

“I’ve been okay …mostly,” he gave a well-meaning glance at the wrist he offered up for Talian to work on. He may have hated picking numbweed and hated the stench of stewing numbweed like every other person on Pern, but Valerian was of the opinion that the plant in salve form was one of the best creations to ever exist. He was practically buzzing with anticipation for the relief that would come immediately once Talian stopped holding out and applied it. He’d have to remember to get a small jar before he left to reapply later on or his healer friend would be receiving a late night visitor that would be moaning but not in the appropriate manner for such an hour. “I’m stuck in a growing routine that feels like I’m back at Harper Hall as an apprentice what with classes and chores with finding time for me around that.”

His gaze lifted from his wrist to Talian’s face, studying his pleasant features. “What have you been up to? Let’s see if you can fill in some blanks for some theories I have of you.” He had been wondering for a while why he had been drawn to Talian in a positive way and not the usual. Those that were meek like his friend were either ignored and forgotten because they didn’t hold his attention or we picked apart for all of their faults. Valerian couldn’t figure out what was so enticing about the man that warranted his friendship and an urge to defend his secrets. Perhaps learning how Talian passed his free time would showcase a definitive reason.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian sneered lightly. He felt quite the opposite about the greenpair, with a firm dislike of Larrikith but a strong affection for B'jin. He'd never bothered t explain his relationship with the man in full, however, so he hardly expected Valerian to know that. "Larrikith is foul," he said simply, what may have been an insult wrapped too tightly in his usual soft inflections to sound like anything more than an observation of fact. He paused for a moment, concentrating on the delicate process of applying numbweed (he treated it a bit too delicately, but his hands were adept and steady just the same) before continuing. "I do like B'jin, though. He's been good to me, in defiance of all logic that I can come up with," he said.

He flashed and smile and stepped back. "Feel better?" he asked before putting the lid back on the jar and setting it on the table beside Valerian. "You can have the rest of this to reapply later," he said. He reached for a second chair and pulled it up before seating himself.

He was pleasantly surprised that Valerian wanted to talk to him more. Val struck him originally as a strand-offish person, but the healer thought of his new friend in a different light after the whole thymus incident. Still, Val hardly seemed the sort for small talk. Talian wasn't at all displeased, but he did feel a bit 'on the spot'. What had he been up to? Well, that he could talk about...the only thing that immediately came to mind was Erisi.

"Well," he said placidly, "I can safely say that this sort of routine is new to me. I never did anything like this back at home," he said. He'd never told Valerian much about his existence at Healer Hall, so after a few second of trepidation, he decided to elaborate. "I was kept busy with my schooling most of the time. There never were any chores or communal classes to speak of," he said. He could remember his father throwing fits over such things. "At least after I was a junior apprentice. I wound up in private classes pretty quickly after that."

He fidgeted a bit and eyed a nearby mug of klah. He didn't bother to look inside, knowing well that it was empty. Bah!

He turned back to Valerian, his distracted and uncomfortable demeanor slowly fading. He liked Valerian's company. "Theories about me?" he asked with a mild laugh. "Am I that much of a mystery? There isn't too much to tell...I do what's required of me and otherwise, I don't do much of anything," he said, perhaps with some mild regret. "Though I suppose I'm lucky..I have a couple friends now, and I haven't had anymore freakouts in public..." A small laugh.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

“I know, it’s why I get along with her,” Valerian smirked, still amused that the green dragon took a shining to him and he with her. “But B’jin’s been pretty good to me as well, I suppose. He tolerates my constant barrage of questions, though he likes to ask his own as well,” that was a bit annoying but Valerian took it in stride since he could answer with as much or as little information as he wanted to give. Still, after the flying lesson Larrikith gave him, the young harper had decided to keep away for a little while or run if they pair appeared above him in a numbweed patch again.

“Much better,” green eyes nearly sparkled with the relief already washing over Valerian. Indeed, the foul little plant was a miracle in a jar. If only it could be applied to open wounds because he would have loved some applied after his hunting injuries; though the fuss Talian made about his pain tolerance in front of Allendris had cancelled out any chance of his pride letting him take anything. He eyed the jar set down near him, amused even though it was probably just a healer thing to offer up extra items from the patching up, “you are either a mind-reader or just thorough in your job. Since it’s you, I’ll go with thorough.”

Valerian listened with honest interest as Talian started to open up to him about his life back in the North. For some Candidates it was an easy enough topic to deal with but for others it was a reminder of better or even worse times and they tried to ignore it. As to himself, Valerian didn’t say much outside of his profession but that was more due to his lack of interest in sharing information about himself since he wasn’t stirred to emotions one way or the other about the past and present. As he listed, he also watched Talian, a skill that was useful in gossip-gathering and for his own amusement in how to learn more about a person. The young master healer’s wandering attention had been noted but so had the way he seemed to realize who he was with and started to relax. It was one of those oddities about Talian that kept Valerian’s interest piqued, and he said as much.

“You are a mystery, in that I can’t figure out why I’m drawn to you when you should be irritating me to the point that I forget your presence. You’re professional and at ease in what you do but socially awkward everywhere else. However, you’re also somewhat daring and trying to come out of your shell which that public freak out showed, which by the way, makes me wonder, have you had private ones? You’re probably also a masochist because you befriended Eri and me.” Valerian paused for a moment to regard the healer once more and like he had done at the party Echlerov had thrown not too long ago, he reached out and ran his fingers over the master knots on Talian’s shoulder. What had been his motivation that day to grab the fallen knots before anyone else saw them and then have a small heart to heart talk where he actually did reveal a peek into his feelings about the life change, Valerian really couldn’t say. He had tried to argue it had been done out of a way to hold something over the timid man but he knew that wasn’t remotely true.

There really was only one reason why he had helped keep the secret until Talian was ready for it to go public and why Talian’s quirks were intriguing and not irritating, “I guess I just like you.”

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Talian listened patiently to Valerian's words, occasionally nodded or responding in some other subtle way, perhaps a minute widening of the eyes or a slight twitch at the corners of his mouth. He was surprised again as Valerian opened up to him, explaining his interest in direct but very honest terms. Modest and shy, Talian found himself looking down at his lap in a coy manner, fingers wringing nervously in his lap, but eyes betraying just how flattered he was.

"You're too kind to me," he said at length, his voice betraying a bit of delight. He fidgeted. He didn't understand why Valerian was so interested in him, but from the sounds of it, Valerian didn't quite know either. Tal smiled lightly as the other man reached out to touch his knots. "You know I wear them because of you," he said, leaning back in his chair and delicately crossing one leg over the other. "I was surprised, I suppose...most people only mention my rank to either suck up or be passive aggressive. Well, back home, anyhow."

"I've found people to be more supportive here." He paused as he considered Valerian's other words. Talian was almost cherrypicking what he responded to, not out of rudeness but because he was mildly overwhelmed. "Private freakouts?"

His face blanched a bit. "Yes, actually...the herb I've been using is disgustingly unstable, but I don't have a lot of choices," he muttered. He'd had plenty of crying fits in his room, not to mention some wild emotional mood swings lately. He didn't give a lot of details, though his face was shadowed with a bit of shame.

"I'm glad, though. That you like me," he said quickly, immediately realizing how awkward that sounded. He gritted his teeth and sucked in a sharp breath."That came out wrong! I mean, I like you too. Wait..."

Shard it.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Was Talian flirting with him? A slender brow arched in question as amusement took over his expression with each word the healer stumbled over. The assessment was quickly changed, however, to that just being his friend displaying his socially awkward side. It really was a charming quality. “Say what you want, how you want, Tal, and let people take their own spin on it. It could lead to fun places,” whether it be positive or negative didn’t matter to Valerian since he took just as much joy, or perhaps even more so, in making people flustered or angry when they mistook his meaning. Although usually they understood him correctly.

“But I’m glad you like me enough to take my previous advice and reaching out to you seriously. I don’t just spout out kindness like that to everyone, you know,” Valerian shifted in his chair, eyes dropping back to his wrist. It was a good scapegoat for such moments when his prickly side was hidden in favour of a softer side that could let someone in a little bit more. At that time, everything had been said in a spur of a moment decision though he regretted not a word of it, especially if it did leave the confused young healer with something to think about.

Thinking on the bare minimum reply he had received regarding the private freak outs, Valerian found himself reaching out again both literally by taking one of Talian’s hands in his and metaphorically, both actions that left the Harper wondering if he should just have his friend check him for a fever. “Even though I told you before I like the normal you and the herbs aren’t necessary, you can still find me when you start having one of those freak outs in private. If you want.” He shrugged as if it was just a casual passing idea and not a serious gesture before letting go of Talian’s hand.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

The wave of embarrassment gradually receded, leaving Tal feeling exposed but not too bad. What was it about these quiet, standoffish smartasses that drew him in so? He became instantly attached to Erisi, and here he was making friends with yet another who, by his own admission, rarely made friends with people of Talian's sort. Tal was too lonely not to take delight in it, though in the back of his mind he was still waiting on the other shoe to drop. This sort of thing just didn't happen to him. Was it cliche to think of it as 'too good to be true'?

He squinted at Valerian for a moment, trying to regain his dignity from his awkward little comment as well as discern his own meaning. He admitted to himself that maybe he had been flirting. He didn't think so, but after his encounters (plural! for shame) with Erisi, it had to be considered. The healer was openly aware of his poor control over his emotions.

Either way, Valerian wasn't angry, so Tal decided to move on.

"It was good advice," he said pleasantly. He found himself again intimidated by Valerian's quiet poise. It was the good kind of intimidation, if such a thing made sense. Before he could make any further comment, Valerian had his hand. He squeezed it on instinct. "Oh..." he said, looking at Valerian with bewilderment and a hint of gratitude, shocked at how calmly and completely the harper was inviting him in to his life. It was touching, but he also wasn't sure what to do. "I tend to agree...the herbs are a bad thing," he said sheepishly, turning his head away but continuing to squeeze the offered hand until Valerian initiated release.

"You've been very good to me. Thank you. If I can ever return the favor, please don't hesitate to ask..."

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

“Just keep patching me up, especially when it comes to areas that could hinder my playing,” Valerian hadn’t lied when he told Talian that playing the guitar he had had on him when Stolen was a way of keeping his sanity. He knew he was adjusting to Weyr life better than others and hadn’t displayed an outburst at anyone for the situation but that was mostly his nature. He might complain about it but still follow through with the act, like hunting and numbweed picking. But he had always genuinely enjoyed music and having it still be a part of him was important and brought him peace, soothing him. He imagined every Harper felt the same way though some, like Erisi, likely needed more than to strum a few notes to leave behind the stress of the day.

“Anyway, I haven’t been good to you, I’ve been great to you.” He grinned as he spoke, words touched lightly with a hint of teasing sarcasm. They were moving into that area of being far too sentimental again and while he had already lightly joked about how he kept getting random injuries for Talian to tend to, Valerian felt a good dose of self-praise would help even more. As would a random topic, which wasn’t so random as it was something the harper had been meaning to point out since entering the room.

“By the way, nice office. A bit on the minimal but that suits you. I’ll have to find a gift of congratulations for it.” He wasn’t quite sure what. Maybe a drawing of stick figures because Valerian wasn’t quite sure how adept he was at actually painting.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Any time," he said mildly. "You're in good hands. That I can actually say with confidence," he said, poking at himself just a little bit. He looked and felt weary, his voice dragging just a little bit and his eyes not quite so bright and alert as they should have been, but Valerian was holding his attention better than anything else would have.

Val's next comment earned a soft chuckle from the healer. "Great to me," he corrected himself. He could sense Valerian steering the conversation in a less serious, perhaps less touchy-feely direction. That was fine with Talian. He didn't usually lead conversations, preferring instead to let his companion guide the flow and choose the topics. Talian was dancing along his limit for intimacy as well. He rather liked the idea of it, and moments like this always filled him with a warm feeling that he thought he could get used to, but he wasn't comfortable enough with his new friends to really indulge himself in such things. A bit here and there was reward enough, though there was a small sting as well. Fiora had given him that feeling all the time. He longed for it, though he hadn't yet found something to replace it with.

His eyes flickered around his office. "I'd like to paint the walls a darker color, to be honest," he said. "I think brown." He liked the color brown. It went well with his brown hair and tawny eyes, but his reason was less poetic. He liked it because it was the color he wore while working, since it concealed blood. He wore it all the time, so he associated it with his craft, perhaps as much as purple. Purple was just too flashy. "I don't have much else to decorate it with, though. My knots and my clothes are the only things I own."

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

Valerian studied Talian with an intent gaze as the man spoke. He had been told that he could unnerve some people with the way he watched them, though that was usually done intentionally since that was another reaction to watch and part of his character study. With Talian, however, it wasn’t done with anything more than an intense curiosity as he tried to figure out not why he was attracted to the healer but why he still seemed to fall into a timid mode around him with some topics and why it seemed like the healer was lacking in sleep. Despite their little bonding sessions, he wondered if Talian would discuss anything too personal and for the time being chalked it up to still not assimilating into Katila. He couldn’t blame his friend and had no intentions of holding that against him.

“Brown…” That colour left little to be desired in Valerian but it wasn’t his office so it didn’t really matter though he’d have to remember to match his stick people to that, “I prefer red, and harper blue, of course,” he tugged at the one blue sleeve of his otherwise dull white shirt. Like a lot of harpers, Valerian liked to show off his pride in his profession by not only his knots but clothing as well. While that was a minor tidbit of sharing when compared to other things that had been or could be said, it gave the harper an idea which would be a nice gesture of friendship but it’d probably surprise Talian and that was just as appealing.

“Tell me something random about you. I like lying outside at night to stargaze while enjoying the peacefulness of my surroundings.”

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Red?" Tal asked, looking around and considering red walls with mild amusement. "That wouldn't work well in here, I'd imagine. We never paint patients' rooms red because it had a subliminal effect. It makes them think of blood, and therefore keeps them anxious," he said cooly. "But.." he said, leaning forward and pointing at Valerian's harper knots. "...Blue is a common color for patients' rooms. It makes them think of the sky on a calm day," he said. Of course, green was the favored 'calming' color, but he didn't feel the need to add that little bit.

Ah, stargazing. He hadn't done that in a while. Warm recognition washed over his face as he considered the question. "Something random?" Ugh, his brain didn't do random. He visibly stumbled on the question as he weighed the possible responses, much more than he should have for such a simple, up front question. Talian confused himself sometimes.

"Hmmmm. Well, I performed surgery on a man once."

He froze in place, stunned by the awkwardness of his own response. He looked down. "...It was...very difficult. And there was a lot of blood," he said, rolling on with the awkwardness because shards, what else was he going to do?

Stricken with the humor of it all, he laughed a bit. "I'm sorry. I guess my brain scrambles for what it knows best," he said.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

The colour conversation was dropped in favour of eyeing the healer curiously. He seemed to struggle with saying something spontaneous, like Valerian had. It was strange that even his answer being something he liked to do that others may not have guessed about him didn’t trigger a similar, easy response but instead left Talian floundering. He almost felt bad for coming up with the idea that was only meant to give them easy conversations and a way to know each other more. And then the answer came, leaving Valerian quirking a brow in mild surprise.

It really shouldn’t have been that unexpected that Talian would end up reaching to his profession for a random bit of information about himself. That was an area Valerian had already known the healer was comfortable in and he was proud of his skills. That was why he joined in with the small bit of laughter, something Talian really needed to do more of since it wasn’t an awkward or unwelcome sound. “That wasn’t what I had in mind but it still qualifies. That’s also rather impressive; minus the excess of blood part.” Valerian didn’t enjoy the sight of blood, especially his own, which had made for an extra cranky meeting of the two men.

“Now shut off your brain and tell me the first thing that comes to mind.”

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

His smile widened.  "Thank you. I was terrified, to be honest. I'd done that sort of thing on cadavers before, but never on a living person," he said. "It's rare for patients to survive procedures like that, but he pulled though...I'm not sure if that's thanks to me or him, though," he said, tone polished and precise.  It was easy for him to talk about medical topics. It was where he was most comfortable, but he quickly realized that Valerian was on to him.

Shut his brain off and say the first thing that came to mind?

"I miss my girlfriend," he blurted, arching a brow at his own comment and silently cursing himself. What a lovely topic. It was true, though. Uninterested in dragging Fiora up any more than he already apparently had, he quickly dove into a different, still relevant subject. "...You know, she and I used to look at the stars a lot ourselves," he said, trying to make the transition seamless. His success was debatable, but there was something sincerely positive about his new tone.

"I sometimes have trouble sleeping at night, so I'll go outside and watch them for a while. They really are lovely, though...they look different here." He couldn't even pick out the familiar shapes among them anymore...

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

As Talian beamed with pride and confidence, Valerian felt that was a good look for his timid friend. He didn’t give voice to that thought, however, as he realized Talian knew he was onto him about finding safe subjects. So he let the conversation drop and waited to see if his suggestion would bring up something else, something that they could work with. When Fiora was mentioned, Valerian didn’t think they were headed into another safe zone, or perhaps she would have been pre-Katila. He recalled her being mentioned that whacky morning when Talian was high so he knew she was important to the healer and not just some crush he hadn’t gotten over yet.

While he could read a situation and know when he shouldn’t say things, but usually still did, there were the rare times when Valerian followed his diplomatic training and held his tongue. Fiora seemed a bit too delicate of a topic and he wasn’t ready to deal with the emotions that could come out of Talian, especially when his blissfully pain-free existence had him enjoying pleasant talks and relaxing with a friend. Well, as much as one could relax while in a healer’s bare office.

So he gladly hopped on the confession Talian gave of also enjoying star-gazing. “I actually like the time between sunset and sunrise. Sunsets have majestic colours and a serenity to them while the night can be peaceful but still have its own beautiful melody you can’t hear in the day. Add in the stars for your viewing pleasure…” Valerian knew he was starting to show his Harper self with how poetic he was becoming and broke off with an unusually sheepish grin. When he got into that sort of mood, he preferred to be alone with a piece of parchment to write out a song for his own enjoyment. It was a rarity when he started spouting such nonsense in front of someone. Erisi didn’t count in this regard since the songs they wrote were based on his friend’s hatred of dragonriders and Valerian’s skills were used to stop each piece from sounding like a long rant and turn them more lyrical.

“Anyway, we should view them together sometime.” Wasn’t he just turning into the social creature. He figured sharing his tree with Erisi wasn’t too bad so star-gazing with Talian couldn’t hurt either.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Valerian's poetic outburst earned a flourish of intrigue from Tal. He'd never seen the harper act like this before. The more he saw of Valerian, though, the more he liked him. He'd initially taken Valerian as grumpy, overly-critical and perhaps a bit spoiled. Tal hadn't cared, it was just an observation. How nice it was to find himself proven wrong. Tal wasn't one to cling to first impressions anyhow.

As such, he grew more and more comfortable around the harper. "Do you talk like that often?" he asked with equal sheepishness, perhaps his attempt at good natured teasing. "Not that it's not lovely. I couldn't put together something  like that if my life depended on it, and you're not even singing," he said with a slight scoff at himself.

"That would be nice, actually." He knew well that he would be too shy to ever initiate such a meeting. He wouldn't complain if Valerian came knocking on his door, though. "My work is irregular over here. I'm mostly on staff for emergencies, but since that's so uncommon, I wind up taking on a little bit of everything...so most evenings I'm able to sneak out without much problem."

Not that he had anywhere to sneak to. The idea of having somewhere to sneak to was highly appealing. "Val," he said, stopping short. His eyes widened. "I...can call you 'Val', correct?" he asked suddenly. He didn't want to use the harper's full name and would avoid it if he could.

V'ler
of Blue Veeth

Date of Birth
21.08.707, 37
Height
5’10
Eyes
Green
Build
Average
Hair
Brown, shaggy

Threads

"I don't. I save it for when I'm writing or when I'm entertaining at a hall or Gather and asked to tell stories." If he did it constantly it would get old to him and those around him and it would lose the impact during times when it was called for. It also gave off an air of whimsy or a dream-like state and Valerian definitely wasn't the sort to keep his head in the clouds or act the ditz. They had enough ditzy people in their class as it was and they most certainly didn't need one of the few intelligent ones falling into their ranks. "But I guess there are times a Harper just can't stop himself from doing it on certain subjects."

Valerian found it odd that Talian would ask him now about the nickname when he had greeted him with it upon entering the office but chalked it up to the healer's need to worry about things and possibly overstepping a line. "You can call me Val if that's what you prefer. Erisi does as well. It's something friends do it seems." What bothered the Harper more was the halted line of thought that happened once Talian realized the name he had used. His curiosity would drive him insane if the healer didn't go back to it so Valerian took it upon himself to make sure that didn't happen.

"You were going to ask or say something before my name took over the conversation. What was it?"

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Tal stifled a laugh. "To be honest, I don't remember now," he said, feeling a touch foolish. "I'm sure it had something to do with stargazing, though. I haven't gone lately. We should do that sometime," he said.

"You know, I've yet to hear any music from you. And only a little bit from Erisi. Here I am, surrounded by harpers and I never hear any songs," he said with a slowly-forming grin. It was uncommon, even when he spent time with B'jin. He assumed timing was to blame, though he enjoyed music more than he admitted. He had a fondness for music, viewing it as a sort of beautiful art that was far, far out of his range. Any creativity in the boy was long, long suppressed.

He sighed reluctantly. "Unfortunately, I think I need to get along to my next patient," he said. He'd much rather have stayed and had a pleasant conversation with Val for the rest of the afternoon, but it had been a busy day. "You caught me at the end of my break. You're more than worth it, though." To be honest, breaks were a hassle unless he had someone to distract him. "Listen, take that numbweed with you, and come back and see me if you ever seen painkillers or sleep aides or anything," he said. He knew that sort of generosity could be taken advantage of, but in all honestly, there were few people he'd rather give such an opportunity.

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)