World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 03.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

The Northern Mountain Book Club [L'varl]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Archived
After several days of debating the pros and cons of a mountainous adventure, Armath finally convinced M'din that nothing would better test his aerial stunting abilities than dropping off of a vertical cliff at breakneck speeds. The pair flew lazily west in the early afternoon, high above Katila and the surrounding wilderness, silently marveling at the view. The green foliage below spotted the brown and gray mountain like freckles, not that anything was visible when Armath decided to display his athletic prowess. The world spun in a dizzying blur, wind tearing brutally through M'din's hair and riding leathers. The mountain air was decidedly cooler. 

The brown had certainly earned his rest after executing several wicked nosedives and flips, muscles straining to their limit, panting with exertion and the thrill of soaring. M'din had laughed breathlessly through watery eyes, reveling in his dragon's speed, never doubting his control for an instant. They loved to fly together, and racing past the sheer cliffs of the Northern Mountains was no exception.

When it came time to rest, they found a tiny valley with a hot spring surrounded by trees and bushes of all kinds. Armath had settled on spending the remaining hours before sunset basking and napping on a boulder while M'din read. The rider kicked off his boots happily, propping his bare feet on a fallen log as he lay in the grass. Rummaging his book out of his leather satchel, he asked, "You know this book about the firelizards I'm reading?"   

Mmmhmm, replied Armath, not bothering to open his eyes.

"Well, it's a wonderful story," M'din said, oblivious to the blatant disinterest of the dozing brown. "It's from a bronze firelizard's point of view, Garmish, and I've never read anything like it! The author, Terricksen Something-Something, implies that Garmish and all firelizards are colorblind. Wouldn't that be strange? How would they distinguish their hides from one another? Would they be able to see their fellows' eyes change in times of distress? Anyway, Garmish mentions-"

Yes, that's so interesting, mumbled Armath as he stretched. His brown hide dappled in the sunlight, curled tail partially shaded by the leaves overhead. He missed a considerable portion of M'din's literary monologue, catching only a final, "But I think Garmish will live to the end. He's the hero."

Abruptly, Armath's long neck stretched up, eyes fixed to the east. Someone's coming, he said. Closing his book, M'din propped himself up on an elbow to wait for their guest.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
L'varl wasn't the most adventurous man out there. He was quite comfortable within the confines of the Weyr, thank you very much, and after all these years of those habits working just fine for him he wasn't about to change that now because his dragon decided he wanted to go on a field trip. But Ly, it's the mountains. We haven't been to the mountains in forever

There's a reason for that, Kor. Mountains are boring. L'varl sighed, putting the book in his lap aside as he stood and moved to the door and his dragon's side. Are you actually serious or is this a bid for attention? He asked, stroking the dragon's jaw. Are they not one and the same? The bronze asked, and L'varl was well aware that Korutath wasn't being a smartass. He was smart, sure, but had a very simple view on the world as a whole. He had his infuriatingly dense moments, as every being does, but L'varl wouldn't have traded him for any other dragon on Pern.

Even if he was a decietful wherry-headed prick.

It didn't take much more prodding to get Korutath into his riding leathers (as a precaution only, really. Faranth knew the two of them had been as foolishly careless as any other dragonrider in their youth) and L'varl into more sensible clothing of his own. Korutath, of course, was not above commenting on his lack of comprehension as to why humans were so fragile, an observation that L'varl was more than accustomed to and tended not to answer.

With a rather obnoxious, but no less gleeful trumpet, Korutath launched himself into the air, ascending to the peoper altitude before blinking between. L'varl was already grumbling when they emerged, a fair distance from the slope of the mountain. Stop being grumpy. This will be fun! Out of habit, L'varl gave him a sympathetic pat on what little of his shoulder he could reach. I still don't see what's so fun about this. It's a mountain. Is there even-- Armath!

...Oh, you're joking. Please tell me you're joking.

Why would I tell you that? There's--look, there they are!

Korutath's off-loading etiquitte was usually exceptional, so the abruptness with which he went about doing it this time was of some concern for the bronzerider. Nothing he'd be addressing anytime soon, though; Korutath deserved better than to be repremanded in front of an audience. Besides, L'varl couldn't spoil the dragon's mood any more than he already was. There was a moment, albeit a brief one, where L'varl had to search for this particular brownrider's name, and he was faintly pleased with himself when he managed to come up with it before Korutath took it upon himself to do it for him. "Good evening." He said, pausing a moment to give an overexcited Korutath a quelling look over his shoulder. "I hope we're not interrupting. Korutath decided to land before I could get a word in edgewise."
Code:
[span style="background-color:#7a5310;"][color=#442712]Korutath speaks[/color][/span]

PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

From his place on the rock, Armath spread his wings excitedly as the bronze landed. He jumped down with a wiggle, crawling across the grass to stand nearer to his rider. He told him privately, I may have neglected to inform you that I mentioned to Korutath we'd be making a mountain trip today. You know my memory sometimes fails me. A bright cyan eyeball whirled around to peek at him.

M'din rose, dusting dirt off his riding leathers. He didn't bother refuting his dragon, knowing full well that Armath's memory was above average in recall ability. Though he had been thoroughly engrossed in his story, he said, Not a problem, buddy. I don't mind making a few introductions. Always enjoying good company, M'din was quick to welcome anyone adventurous enough to stumble upon them in the lush mountainous valley.

Korutath! Armath projected. What are the odds of running into you in a place like this? he asked casually.

Lightly shaking his head at his dragon, M'din waved, toes still bare in the grass. When the bronzerider called his apology, M'din recognized him as L'varl, from S'kef's Wing. He wondered, if he were in L'varl's position, how strange it would be to follow a brownrider as his Wingleader. Color issues rarely entered M'din's thoughts- a dragon was a dragon regardless of its hide- but he knew from experience that his elder bronzerider brothers would heartily disapprove of such a non-traditional Wing hierarchy.

"Hello there! You're not interrupting at all; I'm glad you landed, Korutath." He tucked his book under his left arm, extending his right to shake hands with the newly arrived pair. He approached the bronze, saying, "I'm M'din, and you must be L'varl. Armath has told me so much about you both." In the back of his mind he heard Armath grumble a denial of his marginally untruthful statement, but M'din forged ahead, adding, "All good, of course."  Staring at the serious-looking rider, M'din silently recounted the numerous times he had seen L'varl at Katila, though they had never been formally introduced.

Scratching at his itchy beard, a constant bother in the summer months, he continued, "We flew up the mountain earlier to beat the heat, and I must say it's been quite a bit more pleasant here. Ideal for basking and reading, if you like that sort of thing." He gestured to his book with a cheerful nod.

Don't get your hopes up. L'varl doesn't look like much of a reader, Armath advised his rider separately.

I look like a big, dumb herdbeast of a man, but I'm a reader, lightly retorted M'din.

Point taken. He flicked his tail.

"So, please, make yourselves at home," the brownrider said, returning to his seat on the fallen log, hoping L'varl would be as interested in their company as Korutath appeared.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

But you told me you'd be here! That's virtually an invitation, isn't it? Korutath rumbled worriedly as he sidled closer to his own rider, who cast him a dark look. You planned this. Of course you did. The bronze, of course, ignored him. Oh! I get it. You're playing innocent, rig--oops! The bronze looked guiltily at the sapling his tail had just knocked over in his excitement--he never had grown into his adult body properly. At that, he sat back on his haunches, though his talons continued to knead the ground (mostly rock) below him and his tail waved back and forth in a distinctly feline manner.

At M'din's greeting L'varl turned his quizzical gaze from his dragon to the brownrider, nodding in greeting. "Well met, then, M'din."

It's been forever since we left the Weyr just for fun, Korutath said to Armath, settled down ever so slightly now that he was sufficiently distracted by conversation. It was all getting quite boring, actually. Brief moment of concern over misunderstanding forgotten, Kortath was back to his bubbly, bordering-on-unbearable self. L'varl wasn't sure which he liked less--though let's be honest, he liked them both fine. He was just rebelling against the prospect of being hoodwinked by his dragon (again). Putting the effort forth to be civil, however, had been carved into his skull since childhood, and he couldn't just be an ass, particularly when M'din was being so friendly.

"Reading, I can relate to." Settling against a big rock not far from the log M'din returned to and crossing his arms, L'varl spared a moment to watch his dragon. "I was reading a lovely tale before adventure took hold and Korutath insisted it was past time for a trip to these mountains." He said, manaigng to quirk a grin and sound a lot more amused than he was actually feeling.

Korutath, of course, was still prattling on, though it had deteriorated to a commentary on the avian life that was gracing them with indignant flyovers. They were, apparently, near a raptor nest, and while the birds weren't suicidal, they were defensive enough to hover. Korutath was more amused than anything, taking the occasional snap at the birds who flew too low. He thought they were pretty, but he wasn't above taking advantage of a snack.
Code:
[span style="background-color:#7a5310;"][color=#442712]Korutath speaks[/color][/span]

PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

For a moment the confused bronze left Armath with a cocked head and slackened jaw. As soon as Korutath amended his baffling statement about their pre-planned meeting, small sapling sent flying in the process, the troublemaking brown snorted with amusement. He said to M'din, He's like a giant, male green. I like him. Crawling closer to the other dragon, he responded, We try to get out of Katila several times a sevenday, even just to fly a bit. With an impish rumble, he said, Basking is better when it's not in the Gather Square with everyone coming and going, and Weyrbrats stepping on your tail. I must threaten to eat them every other candlemark.

From his place against the log, M'din nodded at his dragon. He really did threaten to eat the children, but his bluffs met with limited success. Typically the young ones would irk him to the point of giving chase, which the brown secretly enjoyed. The brownrider turned to his companion, smiling widely when books came to the forefront of the conversation. "I understand your frustration," M'din laughed. "Armath has no interest in my stories, but we try to meet in the middle with our hobbies. We flew from Katila to the mountains- his choice- so now I get to read until sunset- my choice." The brown had pointedly ignored his rider's discussion about novels and the fact that he had no desire to talk about them, but M'din heard a tiny huff of disdainful acknowledgement behind him.

Thinking of the curious book in his own hand, M'din fell back into his previous contemplation about the fictional fire lizard, Garmish, and his own grand adventure to save the gold queen's eggs from the devious tunnelsnakes. He wondered if L'varl preferred fiction or nonfiction. "If you ever want to borrow my books, feel free to come to my hut. I have thirty-two of them," he confided proudly. "This book has a fire lizard main character, which is new to me, but very entertaining. In this, they act and think like smaller dragons, which is never how I've viewed fire lizards in the past. They're always so... chirpy." After a long pause, still entranced by the legendary Garmish and his brethren, he asked L'varl, "What is your story about?"

Avidly listening to Korutath chatter about the falcons (or hawks? Armath certainly didn't know or care) overhead, Armath asked the chatty dragon, How high do you think they can fly? A whirling aquamarine eye jauntily glanced at the raptors before he shot into the sky, chocolate wings pounding after his prey. He playfully gave chase, not bothering to threaten the birds with his teeth- his mere presence at such a close proximity was enough to terrify them. He called down, Well, they certainly move quickly enough for a good race! The small brown streaked across the sky, as tiny and agile as a blue, but less powerful than his brown-hided kin. Chasing the birds was an ideal activity for a high-energy dragon of his size, and he hoped the bronze would join him as a playmate, a second unholy terror for the natural inhabitants of the mountain to flee.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

I don't mind them as long as they don't step on my wings. Then L'varl usually chases them away before I get the chance. It was a generally accepted fact that the bronzerider was convinced that his dragon had truly never grown out of weyrlinghood despite his quite respectable size. Overprotectiveness was a given, and unless it actually got in his way Korutath let him keep dreaming. He thought it was funny, really, and he certainly wasn't the type to pass up an opportunity to be entertained where he didn't have to instigate the situation himself.

In L'varl's defense, though, Korutath had a habit of whining incessantly when things didn't go his way--as had already been demonstrated today, even in a very watered down form--until the bronzerider finally decided enough was enough and gave him a stern talking to about how he had duties to perform, so would he be kind enough to go find some nice roof to bask on or something, thank you very much (rare) or just gave up (much more common). The bronze could be sulky for days if it was something particularly important, in his eyes, or--Faranth forbid--if someone else was present for L'varl's blessedly rare outbursts. The bronzerider really tried his best to keep his temper in check--which really wasn't that hard, seeing that it was about the size of a fire-lizard. But he was only human, and Korutath could forgive him for that. Eventually.

There's one child who, I think, has made it something of a game to chase my tail across the ground when she happens upon me. It's quite funny, he said brightly. Oh, yes, very funny until she steps on it and you get all snarly. Then, remember who gets to assure the irate parent that you're really not bloodthirsty at all, really, you're just a giant teddy bear? It was an awkwardly long moment in which L'varl's raised eyebrow returned before Korutath responded. Oh, was that not rhetorical? Then the answer would be you, I suppose, but you know you don't have to chase them off. I could just as easily and maybe you wouldn't be so irritated after. L'varl sighed. I would be very irritated. Bad enough I have to chase them off at all, I don't need to be catching some poor brat's mother after she faints from your terrifying face.

Turning pointedly back to M'din, and therefore putting an end to the debate that never truly ended (because that was just rude with company, Korutath, don't you have any manners?) "I think Korutath would enjoy some of them if he'd pay attention long enough to get a good idea of what they're about." That was a very definite jibe, and Korutath was graceful enough to accept it without comment--the birds were much more entertaining, after all, and now that Armath was involved in the practice of bird-watching as well, he didn't even need an excuse not to pay attention to the riders and their conversations! Not as high as us! Crowing loudly and leaping into the air after the brown, he managed not to damage any foliage as he took chase.

"You know, I don't think I've counted my collection in a couple Turns. But thirty-two is an impressive number!" Nodding, L'varl grinned despite himself at the thought of a book from a fire lizard's point of view. "I've read many things, but an account of a fire lizard's adventures is not one of them. Is it very interesting?" He was surprised to find himself genuinely curious, and not just asking for the sake of being polite. "Political intrigue and espionage would be a good way to describe it, I guess. Not nearly as interesting as fire lizards, I'd wager," he said, lip twitching slightly.

Korutath hadn't needed to think twice about chasing something--usually he was reduced to chasing sparrows over the lake, and they tended to make a beeline for their hideaways as soon as he came barreling in (which was simply unsportsmanlike, in his opinion). These, however, seemed up to the challenge, and quite a bit better at the flying thing as well. They glided much like a dragon did, he observed, but with a great deal more agility than he himself posessed. He'd always considered himself a relatively agile individual, for a bronze, but these things could have literally flown circles around him if they'd wanted to. It was a good thing, then, that they didn't.

I sense a developing obsession with birds of prey. :|
Code:

PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Idly picking at the grass with one hand while his dragon wheeled overhead, M'din leaned back against the log to  prop his free elbow atop it. He cracked open the spine of his book and responded, "It's quite interesting! It may suit your interests in political intrigue as well, as long as you don't mind firelizard politics, that is." As a young boy, M'din- called Midden at that time- would have been embarrassed to describe the minute inner workings of a fantasy world to an acquaintance, having been bullied far too many times by his elder brothers for his bookish tendencies. But now at forty-three turns, he was far too old and too enthused about his hobby to care. Though he was not an academic man, and perhaps the slowest fully literate reader in the Weyr, M'din had always loved his stories. He would methodically devour fantasy novels, preferring fiction of any kind, and secretly imagine his life in the plot he had most recently read. Armath was a patient, if disinterested, audience, so L'varl's company pleasantly surprised the brownrider.

"Garmish, the main character, is a powerful bronze in his nest," he said. "A nest is essentially a Weyr but their leaders are the King and Queen- a bronze and gold. The King was Garmish's brother. Although, I'm not sure why they aren't called clutchmates, but anyway, the King was slain by the villainous tunnelsnakes in battle. The firelizards lost the fight and their nest was invaded. The beautiful queen was injured trying to protect her eggs, but the tunnelsnakes made off with them. Garmish and his friends, a brown, a green, and a blue, were away on a mission when all of this happened, so they're picking up the pieces of their nest and trying to solve a mystery now." He ended his rambling with, "The Queen believes they've been betrayed by a fellow from their nest, you see." 

Climbing higher, Armath mentally chided his rider, Don't bore him to death. You two could come flying with us instead of talking about flits all day.

M'din smiled despite himself, No, you two have fun. Nobody is bored, and we're quite enjoying ourselves on the ground. We're talking about books, if you and Korutath care to join.

There aren't enough marks in Pern to pay me for that level of torture, the brown quipped.

With a sharp hairpin turn, Armath flipped his body to curve around the speeding bird, his wingtip barely grazing the raptor's tail. It abruptly rerouted with a squawk, diving straight down in terror. Armath laughed to Korutath, Faranth, I don't even want to eat it! If they're trying to protect their nest, they're doing a poor job of it. Hiding would be safer than outflying a dragon in the long run. He widely opened his wings, the khaki undersides ballooning out to halt his flight. He felt a twang of sympathy for the terrified bird, who only wanted to protect its nest and eggs. Her nest, he thought. The raptor he chased was brown, dull in color compared to the more golden male fleeing Korutath. Hey, Korutath, he hovered in thought, leisurely flapping his wings. Isn't in strange that female avians are always so drab? They're brown, not that anything is wrong with brown, of course, but the males are brighter colors like gold and red. Armath straightened out his body, circling over the riders below like the birds had been earlier. Why aren't dragons that way? Wouldn't females be brown or bronze, and males be bright colors like blue, green, and gold?

Let the bird fascination continue, lol. Fun fact: Anne McCaffrey has said she categorized dragons' colors the way she did because it was easier for her to remember. Boys Impress bronze, brown, and blue, and girls Impress gold and green.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Having already offered Korutath the choice to partake in their conversation (and very nearly laughed at for his trouble), L'varl only spared a moment to watch his dragon tumbling haphazardly through the air with the brown dragon, completely immersed in his falcon-chasing. The dragoon's lack of control hardly made him blink; it wasn't unusual in the least for Korutath to get a little carried away, and while he'd long ago learned his lesson about doing so in close proximity to the ground, he wasn't such a bore to not play with fire just a little. "While I can't say I've ever seen firelizards in a light that lent to the use of politics, it does sound intriguing," he said with a shrug. People had their opinions, he was well aware, and he wasn't usually the type to speak out against said opinions when there was no gain in it for him. He had an ego--what man didn't--but it wasn't so explosive as to give him the desire to poke a hole in someone else's.

He listened in silence, and relative interest, to M'din's description of his story; it certainly gave him a different perspective to consider. While he had never had a particular interest in firelizards, he'd always just assumed that they were dragons, simply smaller and a great deal less intelligent. What little Korutath had told him of the flits they'd encountered had only proven to solidify that impression, and he hadn't concerned himself further. I never said they were stupid! Korutath retorted, distressed at the implication that he'd given the wrong impression. You wouldn't call a rock stupid.

...Well, he had a point.

"They're worse off than we are, by the sound of things," L'varl said, only half joking. Firelizards did tend to come off as dramatic little beasts, that was for sure. The author obviously had done their research on that front. Sometimes he found their squabbles amusing, but more often than not they tended to occur far too close to his window (which was absurd, considering he didn't even own a lizard of his own and they therefore had no reason to be there in the first place) at the dead of night. Korutath loved the little beasts, and L'varl often found the bronze settled down outside his hut, watching as the small fairs bickered. Having that method of chasing firelizards away was obviously null and void, much to L'varl's mild irritation.

Up above, Korutath paused in his attempt to catch the colorful male with a somewhat guilty look, giving Armath's observations due respect. I don't know, he said distractedly, heaving a great mental sigh as the raptor backwinged and sent an angry squawk in his direction before relocating himself further away, obviously not falling for the bronze dragon's bluff. He had certainly never given much thought to why he was the color he was; of course he was bronze colored, he was a bronze dragon! He turned almost subconsciously to follow Armath's path around him as the brown took to much the same pattern that the birds had been following moments before. I suppose because bronze, brown and blue are seen as more masculine colors? And it is the females who instigate flights; perhaps they don't function in the same manner.

That article's actually really interesting! lol you learn something new every day!
Code:

PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Armath repeated his question to his rider, Why are dragons colored by gender? Why can't a gold be a male or a blue be a female? He watched Korutath join in his revolutions, glad to have a companion who didn't immediately disregard his curiosities. He always had plenty to ask. 

M'din cracked his knuckles, considering the ramifications of flights and clutching. If a bronze could be a girl, could it lay eggs? If a brown were female, would it be as large? Standing would be completely blind: it would be impossible to guess the gender of an egg before it hatched. M'din's Weyrlingmaster at Fort used to brag that he could always tell what color (and sex, by proxy) a dragonet would be based only on its egg shell, and he'd been completely accurate in Armath's clutch of twelve. No idea, buddy. Why can't human ladies grow a beard?

Some can, Armath quipped. M'din gave too much credit to the daintier sex of his species, but Armath was a facial hair connoisseur and there most certainly were women at Katila who fell into the category of bearded wonders. He chuckled with a whip of his tail.

Inspired by his inquisitive dragon, M'din turned to L'varl with a questioning look. The bronze rider appeared well-educated and intelligent (as most people did from M'din's perspective), and M'din appreciated his willingness to talk about something as trivial as fictional flit politics. He said, "This is a departure from our book chat, but Armath has a question and you seem like a good person to ask. Very knowledgeable and all." He inquired, scratching his chin, "Why do male dragons and fire lizards have to be bronze, brown, or blue? And girls have to be gold or green?"

Armath replied to Korutath as they circled overhead, pleased with his answer, Maybe so. I know I certainly find green and gold more appealing than any other colors. Let's be honest though, if I were female I'd be one stunning gold, don't you think? He crooned in a high pitched tone, mimicking the flirty greens at Katila, All the boys would be chasing me like, "Ooooh, Armaaaath, I want to watch you gorge."  Pulling upright with a trumpet, he rose higher and spread his wings in the sunlight, I'd be a beautiful queen.

M'din glanced to the other rider with a sheepish look, "Uh, I think they're talking about cross-dressing now- or would it be cross-hiding for a dragon?" He amended, stumbling, "Armath is talking about being a gold." He wondered how strange it would have been to Impress a green like his older brothers said he would. They'd mocked him mercilessly as a child for being emotional- womanly, they called it- and laughed that his sister had a better chance of a bronze Impression than he did. They were partially correct, he acceeded. M'din Impressed a brown and K'dra Impressed a blue from the same clutch. He smiled at the color subversion, knowing Armath lived to foil anyone antagonistic to his rider. He was a troll of a beast, and apparently had designs to be a queen as well.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

L'varl had been listening with bemusement to the half of the dragons' conversation he could hear; it didn't make much sense--none at all, actually, because they'd gone from talking about how silly birds were to why dragons were the colors they were without much of an apparent segue. He cast a quizzical look at M'din when the brownrider asked his question before looking to the dragons in the sky. If you start acting like some randy green I swear I'll stop speaking to you. Better to nip it in the bud, so to speak. I am no green! I'd make a better gold than Armath... The last part was muttered sullenly, for L'varl's metaphorical ears alone; he liked Armath, after all, and even if he was superior to the funny brown, he didn't need to broadcast it. Everyone already knew, after all. For such a friendly, and energetic dragon, Korutath certainly knew where he stood in the order of things. L'varl had taught him well enough in terms of broadcasting his apparent superiority for the world to witness, but that didn't help the bronzerider much. Not, of course, that he cared overmuch, since to be completely honest he shared much the same sentiment.

He was surprised, in fact, to find how at ease he was in M'din's presence. It wasn't all that different, he thought, to conversing with a fellow bronzerider; at least M'din and his dragon had the decency to touch on some...enlightening topics. "Well," he said, crossing his arms and adopting a classic 'thinking' posture, "I'd imagine Korutath has a point. He touched on the fact that female dragons are the ones who instigate mating rituals. I've read that birds and some mammals are the other way around, so naturally colors would be reversed as well. You have to admit, it's hard to miss a green or gold when she doesn't want to be missed."

Oh, yes! Korutath said, attention now firmly back on the brown. I think I'd rather stay a bronze, though. We have much more fun. It was a rather lame attempt at humor, but Korutath wasn't usually known for his sense of humor. He took things far too literally to be comfortable with saying something to someone else that could be mistaken for actual animosity rather than what it was. So he opted for taking things painfully literate and living a dull, humorless life in exchange. Except he made things funny in his attempts to avoid insulting others, so it all kind of evened out. Though I think that's more of a green. Golds are more...well, they're more gold! He would have done an impressive imitation, too, if his big pride hadn't gotten in the way. He settled for getting vast amounts of amusement out of watching Armath's antics instead.

If he was less of a hard-ass, L'varl might have facepalmed at both his dragon and the play-by-play he was getting from M'din. He sighed instead, shaking his head and giving a chuckle. "I do believe Armath is rubbing off on Korutath. I think he just tried to make a joke."

These two are going to be a radical pair, I think. ._.
Code:

PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

M'din lightly laughed at the exasperated bronzerider, yet uninitiated into the Armath-has-no-social-filter club. "Tell Korutath to be careful up there. Next thing you know he'll be calling all the boys to watch him gorge." Armath snorted at him internally, giving his rider the mental equivalent of a disapproving squint.

Nodding thoughtfully as L'varl answered him, M'din continued, "That makes sense. But I would think the chromatics would be male, and the metallics would be female if that was the case. Greens and blues are both bright, but they aren't shiny. Since the females instigate mating, shouldn't they have shiny hides for maximum-" the brownrider struggled to find a word besides "sexiness" to refer to a female dragon, "-appeal?" He scratched at his chin with a beefy thumb. "Maybe all male dragons think green and gold are the prettiest colors. Maybe they wouldn't find a female blue attractive. Lemme ask."

Flicking his eyes upward, M'din questioned, Armath, would you chase a female blue? Do you prefer green and gold simply because they're always female, or because males are naturally inclined to like those colors?

Armath sniffed, You're not asking the right dragon, buddy. I would chase any female that let me. To amend his unhelpful statement, he supplemented, But golds are obviously the most beautiful; even a hypothetical bronze female couldn't hope to match them.

Lying back against the fallen log, M'din laced his fingers on his stomach. "Armath says he would chase a girl of any color, which is unsurprising," he told L'varl, grinning. "We need to find a more discerning male." The bearded man didn't mention that Armath preferred golds. It was a sore subject that the small brown had never managed to catch a Queen, and M'din didn't need his bonded to slip into another depression about being bested by a competing bronze.

Circling his companion, Armath replied, It's good to be a male. The golden girls may have respect, but they get stuck with clutching for the rest of their lives, and the poor greenies get treated like dirt. He paused, turning to Korutath as he spiraled downward, Not that anything's wrong with being the color of dirt, mind you. Brown may not be as eye-catching as bronze, but it's subtle and warm. Armath's aerial maneuvers came to halt as he landed across the glen from the riders. He wryly commented, It's the dragon equivalent of being ugly with a good sense of humor. He snickered at himself, content enough with his confidence level that his own potential ugliness was acceptable. At least the greens still liked him. With a meaningful look to his lounging rider, Armath added, Or really hairy but thoughtful and sweet.

I'm thoroughly enjoying our characters trying to reason out Anne McCaffrey's random dragon color schemes, lol.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"Trust me, if he gets drawn in it's his own damn fault." Even L'varl could admit that he was just a little too tightly wound to gracefully accept his dragon suddenly pretending he was a gold--or, gods forbid, a green. And that was not an invitation, you hear me? Slightly offended at the thought that he would ever stoop to the level of a green, Korutath didn't grant L'varl the mental reassurance that a direct answer would have given him. "Kor wouldn't be able to decide if he'd like a female blue until he actually met one." The bronzerider's confidence in that statement was such that he felt he didn't need to confer (which was true, for the most part. Korutath hadn't met any female blues, after all.

"Kor would be discerning if he wasn't so nice. He can't say no to anyone, unfortunately," L'varl said. Finally deigning to settle down on top of a rock, one knee drawn up with his arms linked loosely around it, he leaned back to watch the dragons for a moment.

I think some blues are pretty. Twisting in mid-air to keep Armath within his line of sight, he trilled at the brown. Aveleth is quite pretty, isn't he? Ignoring L'varl's mental grunt of surprise (Since when did you start looking at other male dragons like that?!), Korutath began a slightly lazier descent. They're no gold, of course, but pretty is good enough, some days, he mused. Turning end-over-end in mid-air as he sharpened his descent slightly and landing shortly behind Armath. He gave the brown the dragon equivalent of a confused look (head cocked to one side, tongue darting out) over his comment on his own color. I don't think you're ugly! You do have a nice sense of humor though.

I most definitely am as well. On the other hand, I assure you, L'varl is not. If/when Korutath starts interrogating greens for their investigation, he's out. We're also not particularly enjoying the whole admiring-dragons-with-male-riders bit. xD Also, I'm sorry it's short. And slow. I'll do better next time!
Code:

PA - First Post!

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

M'din smiled at the playful bronze as his rider assured him he was far too friendly. Korutath was just so sweet, and completely devoid of the haughtiness found in many bronzes. M'din's elder brothers, brozeriders both, had bonded to uppity metallics totally lacking the enthusiasm and inherent optimism of the dragon circling Armath overhead. He vastly preferred L'varl's bonded, and told him as much.

"I think it's wonderful that he's so friendly, and probably helpful to you too. It would be terribly difficult to have an antisocial dragon, and even harder to have a mean one," he said lightly. "Imagine if ours were testy. I'd have no idea how to ask Armath to be nice."

What? I'm never nice- I'm fearsome. Get it right.

Of course you are! M'din shot a guilty grin skyward. I was just telling L'varl it's a good thing people like you despite your ferocity.

Appeased by his rider's correction, Armath turned his attention back to Korutath flying overhead, Aveleth is pretty. He looks like a cloud. He crawled closer to the lounging riders, tail sweeping widely behind him. Unlike many dragons, Armath didn't mind keeping his claws to the ground. He enjoyed seeing the world from M'din's point of view, even if his eye-level was a bit taller. Oh, and what's that one blue's name? The whitish one? "Pissed off" or something. He's pretty too.

Armath cooed appreciatively as Korutath complimented him, taking a seat in the grass. Wait, was it a compliment, or was the bronze just playing back? Armath didn't handle earnest flattery well, and decided to take his comment as part of a joke. Yes, jokes were much more familiar territory. Why, thank you, Korutath. It's a good thing you're not a gold with that silver tongue of yours. You'd be very popular.

M'din cleared his throat across the valley, wondering if L'varl was the type of bronzerider who would outright punch a man for his dragon's lowbrow humor. He sighed.

Only a month later... sorryyyyyy about that. >>

L'varl may not be amused, but M'din and Armath are rather enjoying Korutath's admiration of Aveleth. Teehee.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"He's certainly not lacking in personality, thank Faranth," L'varl chuckled at the thought of a testy Korutath. He had become solidly convinced that there wasn't much the universe could do to genuinely piss the big bronze off; offend him, yes, and make him sulk like a scolded child, of course, but truly make him angry? That was another matter altogether, and one that L'varl was quite convinced would never happen. Korutath, for his part, was quick to quantify, making noises along the lines of L'arl's safety (or lack thereof), and just how far he would go to make sure said security was maintained. It made the bronzerider's smile deepen around the edges, eyes softening slightly as he glanced at Korutath. I know. The dragon took a moment to level a frank eye on him, not having to say anything to get his point across. He did anyway. Of course you know.

"It would make things quite boring, I think. No patience for teasing or storytelling, for one thing. It usually takes him a minute to pick up on the teasing, but he's very forgiving. Even if someone does mean something they say against him, he'll brush it off and act like they're best friends." L'varl shrugged. "At least he's not easily offended, I suppose."

If I was easily offended, I would never be able to deal with you, The bronze commented.

You're a dramatic lump. I am not that bad.

Oooh, no, of course not! He said, settling first onto his haunches before stretching out lazily, wings rustling.

There aren't many blues who aren't pretty, in my opinion. Rumbling a laugh at Armath's comment, Korutath turned his attention from his rider and cocked his head again, considering. Nobody would be safe from my wiles, he said, completely serious. It was a long moment before his eyes changed, going bright with mirth as his head dropped and he chuffed happily. L'varl, for his part, groaned, dropping his head into his hands in a rare show of dramatics. "You've created a monster."
Code:

PA - First Post!

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)