World of Pern
Latest Updates

2023/08/04 Hello loves! While I haven't been writing, I have been working on updating some issues that have been hanging around on the layout! The Character change box is now at the bottom of the page, beside the up/down arrows! Green and Gold dragon flight dates have been shifted to the bottom of the page, where the (useless!) discord widget was located. Where the dragon flights were in the header, is now replaced by a Monthly Event box! This will be updated at the start of each month, with a fun mini-event you can take part in, if you want to! Thistle!
2023/01/07 Welcome to the New Year! We are now ELEVEN years old! Thank you, all of you, for your love and writing! I am looking forward to spending another year with youall! In addition, a new Default colour scheme is in progress and will hopefully be available soon! All my love! ThistleProse
2022/07/29 Gold Malvayth and Bronze Xyxyth clutch is Hatching! Come and join the shenannigans 743.08.03 | NIGHT STALKERS HATCHING and bring the popcorn!
2022/05/11 Gold Malvayth has Flown, caught by Bronze Xyxyth of A'tay. Their Hatching will be PC, and take place in Telgar in August around the 20-22nd! Update your Candidate Applications and prepare for some fun!
2022/04/21 New default layout! I hope you enjoy it! If you find any bugs, please report them in the discord #bug-squishing channel!
05/JUL It’s Hatching time!! Come take part in the shenanigans here
30/JUN Gold Thallyath of Ista Weyr has laid a clutch! More information here
27/JUN A bluerider, and then a greenrider, are found dead. More information here
25/JUN The Touching is up! Take part here
30/MAY After the Touching, many Candidates found themselves preyed upon in the form of their food. More information here
18/MAY Another goldrider - Ameris of Benden - is attacked. More information here
05/MAY Multiple individuals are attacked whilest out of the Weyr! More information here
04/MAY Take a chance OOC and guess who you think the murderer is! You can win prizes! More information here
03/MAY Goldrider Cazan and her twin brother Cazelarias are attacked. More information here
24/APR Goldrider Ashara of Fort is murdered by two brownriders. More information here
12/APR Searchrider B’jin was attacked at Telgar Weyr, surffering a slash to his throat. While in Benden, bluerider B’dor is found dead in his weyr. More info here
05/APRMore attacks occurred today. More information here
03/APRMultiple individuals found their death this day; more information here and here
28/MAR Tragedy has struck again! Across all the Weyrs, multiple people - primarily dragonriders - have fallen ill after eating muffins. There have been multiple deaths, and others are in criticle condition. More information here
24/MAR Weyrwoman Ameris and her son, Rislan, poisoned! More information here
18/MAR Benden’s Weyrleader M’ris and his children have been poisoned! Resulting in sickness and death. More information here
18/MAROn 18.03.742 Bronzerider A’dris of Vyaniorth was found dead in his personal bathing pool. He appears to have drowned after drinking an excess of alcohol. Afterwards it was realized that Machiya of Gold Cameth from Telgar Weyr had disappeared. Having never arrived at her destination, it is suspected she had an accident between.
11/MAR Gold Racoth of Donmaline went between taking Bronze Beruth of T’rel with her shortly after she had been caught, due to T’rel strangling Donmaline. He did not survive. more info
25/FEB Congratulations and thank-you to Guest for taking on a moderator role! <3
14/FEB Stars Above PC Hatching Link
06/JAN :o new layout is a WiP. Please report bugs in Discord.
01/JAN Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Currently: Spring 04.745 al
Monthly Event
2024-February
Details: Link

Welcome to the Month of Lovetm! This month's Monthly Event is all about Romance, whether it is asking someone out on a date, or getting sweaty between the sheets! Anything and everything counts, if it even looks sideways like it could be related to Valentine Day -- including lover's spats, or breaking up, Flights Wins (or Flight Losses!). Honestly, this month has a huge opportunity for interpertation, so go wild!

2023-December

Ahh, the fresh snow, the crisp air, the naked trees... welcome to Winter! Or, just the Colder Months for those in the more Northern Weyrs, while Ista is just... not as hot. But it is time to enjoy the end of the Turn, so folks should get together, spend some time gossiping, and drinking Hot Chocolate (alcohol and marshmallows opional)... does Pern even have marshmallows????? (they do now!)

2023-November

Feel like bitching? Wanna take part in a brawl? Or bet on someone? Take part in Brawls and Bitching this month! Boo-yeah!

2023-October

Thistle flunked this month; You can still post until the end of November as a result <3
Experience, tell or hide from a Spooky Story!

2023-September

The flu is running rampant, colds are clogging noses, and someone might have lost a limb?

2023-August

Partake this month by going fishing... or anything that occurs while fishing, or dealing with fish!

Latest Posts

Walking in the Rain [N'kal]

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By: ZZZ Deceased
The rain seemed to be never ending as it fell from the steel-grey sky that afternoon.  And while Bordtai was never a fan of the constant pounding that befell his head during harsh downpours, the light rain that fell now was gentle enough to not trigger one of his headaches but still heavy enough to leave him soaked after his short walk.  Of course, his short walk had been a half run mixed in with a bit of stumble once he’d managed to get away from the group of Weyrbrats that had decided he was a target that day.  But then again, when a target never fought back or tattled, it was never a surprise that such a target would quickly become a favorite to torment.

Scuffed boots and hand-me-down clothes were ill fitting today just as they were any day, but that was not what currently held Bordtai’s attention.  He’d pulled the cloth he held to his nose down to inspect it in the rain before sighing and refolding it so he could push a clean section back up to help slow the flow of blood.  Really, he would really enjoy going a seven day without a nose bleed brought on by larger Weyrbrats.  Adults often said he’d find a growth spurt that every other Brat seemed to have found two of by now, but Bordtai was still the shortest and smallest boy for his age group.  It really wasn’t very fair.

Rounding another hut that belonged to some rider or another, Bordtai continued his walk at a slower pace, confident he’d either lost the Brat’s or they had given up pursuit to stay dry.  That was uncharacteristic of Bordtai to be honest, he would often take the beating till they’d grown bored, but with the rain offering promise of sanctuary today, he’d taken the chance to run.  There was the possibility that running would have egged the larger boys on and given them more ‘fun’ in the game, but Bordtai’s bet on the rain seemed to have won out – it made him glad despite now being soaked and with a bloodied nose.  At least the rest of him would only hold old bruises and no fresh ones today.

Glancing around, Bordtai didn’t notice the man sitting outside in the rain – he was too concerned making sure he was in a district of huts that did NOT include the green rider B’jin’s hut.  The last thing he wanted today was to escape the larger Weyrbrats only to be caught by the adult and hauled off once more to the Healer’s Hall.  Granted, the last time that had happened Bordtai had been a LOT worse for wear, but the small boy wasn’t taking chances.  Even if he did like the Healer-turned-rider; Talian.

OOC::  If N'kal is more tempted to watch than talk, that's fine.  ^_^  I'll find a way to bother him in the next post.  But I saw in the profile that he enjoyed sitting out in the rain and thought that would work nicely.  <3  Let me know if you need me to change anything.

PA - 50 Posts!PA - First Post!

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

Written By: DeeStar
You're going to get sick N'kal, Torath rumbled at him from afar, curled up with a couple of other dragons. His voice was calm as usual, if not slightly annoyed. N'kal had been increasingly grumpy of late and even though he tried, Torath didn't seem to be able to get him out of it. He knew at this point it was something he would need to work out on his own, and Torath was not happy about that at all.

'I'll be fine, You know I don't get sick.', N'kal answered in his usual gruff tone, but for Torath it was said a bit more gently. Even though he would have snapped anyone else's head off that day for saying the same, Torath loved him and wanted him to be safe, that was all. He could feel Torath's unease and did his best to sooth him, though he had been damn near inconsolable himself lately, so he didn't know how well he was at soothing him.

He had no idea how long he had been outside, thoughts rolling around in his head, clothes soaked clear through, skin pruning from the rain. He had been sitting outside his hut so long he had started to get cold and hungry, yet still had not been bothered enough to get up. He had felt Torath stir from his slumber and wondered briefly what had been going on, but hadn't bothered to ask. It wasn't until a short time later that he looked up though hair that was clinging to his face and saw a kid walking through the huts and had absently come his way. It was still raining but not pouring so he could see the kid clear enough when he got closer. He was young, soaked clear through like him, and appeared a bit ragged. He also noticed two taller shadows creeping from between two huts, following the kid. Torath saw them too and had apparently been following them.

He heard Torath growl in his mind and saw his shadow go overheard. N'kal gave a growl of his own and stood up, looking like an over grown shaggy beast himself. The two older kids, or he assumed were kids, noticed him when he stood and severely took notice when Torath dropped to the ground beside him. Torath let out a deep growl and the pair of stalkers took off running as fast as they could in the other direction. N'kal grunted and turned around, patted Torath's side, and was going to head for the warmth of his hut when Torath swung his head around and stopped him. The boy is bleeding...I can smell it. N'kal gave another grunt and moved around Torath and called out. "'Hey kid! You hurt?", his voice was rough and as unfriendly sounding as could be, so much so that Torath scolded him, absolutely tired of his behavior.

That is just a wonderful greeting to someone who is hurt, wet, and probably tired of being bullied! So be nicer, it's not his fault your sulking in the rain! It was very rare that Torath snapped at him or raised his voice at all so it took N'kal by surprise for a moment before he hung his head a bit. He grumbled a bit and sighed. 'I'm sorry...I am being an ass aren't I.' He raised a hand and waved the kid over. "C'mon kid, come get out of the rain, we ain't goin' to hurt ya.", he said, much nicer then he had before, though it was still a far cry from cheerful and welcoming.

Torath gave a bit of a bugle in welcome and turned himself a bit and extended one wing so that N'kal was actually out of the rain, a nice welcome drier spot for anyone really! So, N'kal stood there dripping, waiting to see if the kid would accept the invite from them or not.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

The first growl Bordtai heard was from the rough looking man as he seemed to simply materialize out of the rain, soaked through and through but looking all the more savage for it with the way it plastered his long, shaggy hair to him.  The small boy didn’t realize that there were other’s following him, having thought to finally be free of the bully-brats, and so stopped dead in his tracks as he assumed the man was growling at him!  Well shards and shells, what did he do now?

The dragon that landed behind the man was un-mistakenly bronze and one of the largest in the Weyr.  In fact, if Bordtai dared to wager a guess, he’d put the mighty beast at the same size as the young Gold if not a few hands longer!  Caught between slight awe for the beast and unease for the rider, Bordtai didn’t dare move his feet across the wet ground as the dragon let out a growl of his own.  It was in a debate if he should run or take whatever tongue lashing was on his way that Bordtai caught the sound of boots behind him. 

Turning to find two larger brats fleeing, Bordtai blinked the water from his eyelashes and watched them for a moment before looking back to the dragon and rider once more – his feet still hadn’t moved, though now he felt a little better.  There might just be a chance that the growl hadn’t actually been issued in his direction.  That chance was confirmed when the man spoke up, though the roughness in his voice matched his rough and ragged appearance.  Together it made Bordtai think of a feral feline -  a large and mean, feral feline.

At the question of being hurt, the small boy took the cloth from his nose again to glance at the slowly growing spot of blood there before returning it to his nose and shaking his head no.  “No, Sir.  I’m fine.”  Depending on the point of view, Bordtai supposed the statement could be taken as a lie.  Any woman would have smacked him for saying he was fine while getting blood all over their clean kitchens, but Bordtai certainly didn’t feel like it was enough to go to any healer over.  After all, who hadn’t had a bloodied nose once or twice in their life?  So Bordtai tended to have several in a week… He didn’t see how it would be a fuss at that point.

It was with curiosity that the boy watched as the bronze extended his wing like a canopy over his rider and an invitation was clearly sent to Bordtai to join them.  Biting his lower lip, he looked around but found that he really had no valid reason to decline the man.  Truth be told, the man and beast together looked more likely to eat the boy than befriend him, but how much trouble would he get in if he told an adult ‘no’?  Deciding this pair was not the pair he wanted to get in trouble with considering their wild looks, he stepped forward to join the man under the bronze canopy.

Glancing back again at where the other brats had disappeared, Bordtai’s shoulders slumped a little before he spoke up again, though he didn’t actually look at the man or the beast as he spoke.  “I think I need to say thank you for your help.”

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

He hadn't meant to scare the kid, but it was apparently that his weather induced appearance and growling manner had done just that. Torath had been right of course, N'kal had been so lost in his own misery all day he had growled and been rude to him without thought. He knew what it was like to be harassed by other weyrbrats, he should have known better then to be curt with him. Yes. You should., Torath poked at him smugly. 'Shut up...', had been his not so amused answer. It was just how he usually was when in one of his moods however, but the current situation seemed to be snapping him out of it quickly enough. He was still cranky, but he was working on reeling it in, even though he did not appear to be doing anything except standing beside the rather large form of Torath, who was amused with the youngster and his unseen effect on the older rider.

N'kal lifted a brow slightly, dripping from head to toe with rain water, and gave a grunt, though it might not have been heard over the constant patter of falling rain. Torath swung his head around, his eyes swirling in cool colors of amusement, flecked with the slight concern N'kal himself rarely showed. He rumbled at the boy and watched what N'kal most likely could not see very well at that distance in the rain, then said, He will live I think, seems it is just his nose that is bleeding. 'I never died from a nose bleed.', was his response, almost amused and gave Torath another pat to his side.

He then watched as the kid looked around, N'kal wasn't sure why, no one was going to bother him now, not with a 35 foot bronze and one grizzled old rider standing near by. It didn't dawn at him at all that he might have been afraid to come near them, or that he may have had other things to do, places to go and what not. He just wanted to make sure he was okay.

He watched the kid's body language and saw a bit of himself before he had started fighting back. He had had a reason to fight back though, this kid didn't seem to have that reason yet. His slumped shoulders and down cast eyes were signs of defeat and embarrassment. N'kal knew all about that, though it seemed so very long ago. He gave a bit of a shrug and with a bit less roughness said, "No worries kid. I've been in your shoes before." Torath gave a warble and without dumping too much water around them, moved so that he could drop his large head down, his very large eye swirling as he looked the boy over. What is his name?, Torath asked quietly. N'kal gave a bit of a half chuckle and said out loud, "Good question, What's your name kid. I'm N'kal, and this great beast is Torath."

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

“Torath.”  Bordtai repeated as he pulled down the rag cloth and shoved it into his pocket along with his hands so that they were out of the way.  It was done, however, to keep himself from reaching out to the dragon without permission.  Some rider’s didn’t mind you showing affection to their dragons, but other’s seemed to get bent out of shape over it.  With both the rider and the dragon towering over him, Bordtai didn’t care to upset either one of them by acting out of turn.

“I’ve seen you two fly before, but you look much bigger this close.”  He said softly, his eyes on the dragon were giving the slightest hint of a sparkle despite his slumped shoulders.  Scuffing a foot across the wet gravel path again, it took a moment before he tore his eyes away from the mighty bronze to look back at N’kal.  “Bordtai, sir.”

Speaking to the bronze rider forced the short boy to crane his neck when he was this much closer to the pair and not watching from a great distance.  The next words out of his mouth really couldn’t be helped, he was frustrated and discouraged and the words that formed were said with a bit of exasperation coloring the edged.

“How did ya’ll grow so big?  What did you eat?”  he couldn’t help but ask.  The man was over six feet tall, but Bordtai was the smallest boy in his age group and he’d heard the crèche women more than once comment that he’d be a small one if his feet were any way to tell.  Of course, Bordtai had no idea what his feet were talking about – but surely there must be something he could do to find a growth spurt that all the rest of the boys seem to have already hit.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Written By:
Clue 20:

A green and blue dragon land close by, riders dismounting to head into their huts. If either notice the onlookers nearby, they don’t show it.

“I’m just saying…it’s wherry shit that A’liran and Nejerc got lashed, but Z’ia didn’t!” the greenrider growls.

“Shh, chill out,” the bluerider said, wrapping one arm around the other man’s waist while he fiddles with the lock on the door. “S’kef probably just went easier on Z’ia because he’s a good friend of J’ver’s, you know? Looking after his mate’s friend or whatever.”

“Wherry shit,” the greenrider spits, crossing his arms stubbornly. He seems anxious to get in out of the rain. “It’s colorism. Or S’kef has the stupid bluerider in his pocket or something.”

The bluerider rolls his eyes. ‘Stop being ridiculous. If anything, S’kef probably hates Z’ia…remember that whole thing where he and J’ver broke up for a while over Z’ia flying J’ver? Or something like that…”

He finally gets the door open and they step inside, taking their conversation with them.

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

Torath gave a deep rumble when the boy said his name after having been given his name. Torath liked youngsters and this one he felt for sure would be a rider one day. He felt the boy's resistance to something and to stop twisting his neck about, he rumbled, opened his other wing, shooting water in all directions. Unfortunately, while he was moving about to make himself more comfortable, he allowed the water to dump on N'kal and Bordtai's heads before sitting on his rump facing both of them. He quickly extended his wing again and said Sorry!!, to them both individually.

N'kal had given a shout and jumped a bit at the sudden flash of rain that fell upon his head when Torath moved. Once Torath had settled he narrowed his eyes at him until Torath offered up an apology, to him and to Bordtai. He gave a gruff grunt and crossed his arms over his chest but lifted a brow at Bordtai. "Seems my great clamoring beast likes you Bordtai. He doesn't speak to just anyone you know."

Once they were all settled again N'kal addressed his previous comment and question all at once, with a bit of a grin. "Yes well distance can always make even the greatest and largest of objects appear small." He looked up at Torath, both of them amused currently with the boy's question. Torath hunched down some, careful not to dump water on them and sniffed at Bordtai then nudged him gently with his nose, his great eyes swirling a bright blue even in the dreary light. N'kal was about to answer the boy when the color of Torath's eyes changed from the pleased shade of blue to the more alarmed shades of orange and yellow. He held up a hand to signal Bordtai be quiet as he said, 'Be still', to Torath once he heard the voices carry over the rain.

The conversation did not last long but it made the bronze rider very unhappy. "Time to get out of the rain Bordtai.", he said in a low voice that held a tone of command. He backed to his door and unlatched it, and pushed it open. There was no light on inside to draw attention and he gave a sharp nod of his head to Bordtai as a signal to get his scrawny arse inside. 'I don't want them to know we over heard Torath. Disappear silently but stay close. Get out of the rain if you can.' Be Safe, He said, and once the two were safely inside N'kal's hut, he folded his wings and slowly silently walked away, N'kal sending every feeling of love and reassurance he could to him as he did so. Taking flight so close would have drawn unwanted attention, so he circled around a stand of trees and took off from there.

Inside N'kal was working over the information he had heard so furiously he almost forgot about Bordtai til he lit a candle a moment later and saw the dripping boy. "Well then...what a way to end an evening eh? Let me see if I can find ya somethin' dry...your so damn...short...no idea what I'd find..", he went on mumbling as he went to the bedroom and started digging around in the old clothes he had. He managed to find an older shirt and pants from when he first fled the north, he hadn't been near as big then. The clothed stirred up painful memories, why he had them still he didn't know. Torath hadn't gone far the the painful memory from N'kal had Torath touching his mind gently with as much comfort as he could give without saying a word.

"Here, try these", he said after he snapped out of it and jerked a thumb in the direction of the bedroom after handing him the clothes. He stoked a fire and stripped off his shirt, hanging it over the back of a chair while he waited, still considering what he had heard outside. He set a pot over the fire to warm up some klah and sat on an old stump he used for an additional chair when he had company. It was a rather funny sight actually, considering his height and the size of the short fat stump.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Bordtai found himself ducking under small hands that were completely ineffective against the sudden onslaught of water that came raining down upon the pair.  Not that it changed much for either male’s already soaked state, Bordtai couldn’t help but look up at the bronze unsure if it had been done to poke fun at them or out of accident.  It was when the bronze bespoke him with an apology, however, that the small boy’s lips finally cracked a smile. 

“It’s okay.”  He replied back to the bronze even as he listened to the rider speak of distances and objects.  Bordtai could hear the grin in the rider’s voice and didn’t need to look at the man to know that he was certainly in no trouble – which was a good thing, his eyes were glued on the bronze who had moved closer to wash him in warm air and then nudge him with his nose.  Of course, even a gentle nudge from a beast so large had Bordtai taking his hands from his pockets and stepping back to catch his balance, but the smile was growing more firmly on his face.

Bordtai had just been daring enough to reach a hand out to the bronze’s velvet-soft muzzle when the Bronze Rider held up his hand in a signal to be still.  Freezing with his hand just out of reach, his smile faded instantly and his eyes widened as he first thought he’d been just a little too daring.  The sound of conversation soon reached his ears, however, and he could tell by watching the rider that the man was listening rather intently to it.  Glancing at the bronze, then back at the rider, he pulled his hand back and put it firmly back into his pockets.

Following the directions to get out of the rain, Bordtai shuffled into the dark hut while looking around curiously.  He’d been inside a rider’s hut before, but never that of a bronze rider and he couldn’t help but find himself curious as the man took a moment before lighting a candle and seeming to look a Bordtai as if he wasn’t expecting to find him there.  Had he already forgotten he’d told the boy to get inside?

Concious of his hair and clothes dripping water on the man’s floor, Bordtai watched as the man mumbled something about dry clothes and height before shuffling off through a door.  The small boy had to lean to see what the man was doing without actually moving around the room, but soon N’kal handed over a pair of breeches and a shirt.  Bordtai blinked at them for a moment before following the directions given with the clothes and moving into the bedroom to change.

He was glad to be out of his own wet clothes, but he couldn’t help but feel strange in the man’s old things.  Despite their age, they were still in better shape than what he had peeled off and were dry.  Pulling the lace tight to hold the pants up on his thin hips, he tied it off before rolling up the cuffs a twice and pulling the tunic over his head.  They were still a bit large, but fit far better than one of the large man’s current shirts would have been.  Why was such a large man holding onto smaller clothes like these?  Even a rumored dimglow like Bordtai could tell that the man would have no hope of fitting into these now.

Stepping back out into the living area, Bordtai took in the room before letting his eyes fall upon the man seated in front of the fire and on what appeared to be a block of wood.  Was that a tree stump?  A second good look around the room confirmed to Bordtai that the man only had one chair.  For some reason he’d always expected a Bronze rider’s hut to be more… furnished.  And yet… the room had a comfortable feel to it despite the lack of chairs for guests.  Then again, Bordtai was never a social butterfly either. 

“You don’t have many visitors.”  Bordtai said, more of a statement for his own peace of mind in the quiet room than to actually accuse N’kal of being a shut-in.  Walking over, he sat down on the edge of the open chair. 

“I… I’m not in trouble am I?”  Realizing he wasn’t being clear, he quickly added, “For hearing the other riders, I mean… People aren’t suppose to speak badly of the rankers.”

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

N'kal?, Toraths voice came to him as he was staring into the flames of the fire. 'Hmm?', Was all he replied. Are you and the boy okay? He blinked and realized that after he had handed Bordtai his old clothed to change into, he had lost himself in thought and forgotten him...again. Luckily at about the same time Bordtai made a comment about his not having much company and brought him back fully to the present. Yes, we are fine now, thank you. You? He glanced over at him while waiting for Torath to respond, feeling rather odd seeing him there in his old clothes, then around his hut.

It was sparsely decorated, there was a single chair, which his wet shirt was hanging on, and his tree stump. He gave a grunt and shrugged a bit before saying, "I don't get along with most people...no reason for company other then Torath most days." He sort of felt bad for that at the moment and added. "Suppose I should get around to making myself another chair.." I am fine, wet, but fine. I will be back soon enough. It is good N'kal, giving him your old clothes. You should not hold on to such painful things., Torath said quietly. 'Yeah...I know', was all he replied.

N'kal turned then and poked at the fire and when satisfied with the temperature of the klah grabbed a couple cups. He filled both damn near to the brim and handed one of them to Bordtai. "Here, this will warm you up", He gave him a bit of a grin and went back to sit on his stump, taking a long drink from his cup. He didn't drink often so he always had some klah around, but he was cold, wet, and had just over heard some interesting information for the second time since the whole..attempted murder investigation started. He needed some good alcohol, but all things considered, the spiced drink would have to do for now.

When Bordtai asked if he was in trouble N'kal blinked at him and waved a dismissive hand and shook his head. "Not with me, but best to not let anyone know ya over heard it. Too much is going on and you don't need to be in the middle of it." Neither do you., Torath added in a flat tone, clearly annoyed. "Ain't that the damn truth", he said out loud without meaning to. He didn't bother to explain just yet, but instead sat there thinking and looking at Bordtai. He had company, it hadn't been intended, but for the time being he pushed the odd overheard conversation from his mind for the time being and said to Bordtai, "So kid, want to talk about what caused that bloody nose?" Torath growled deeply at that, wanting to know which dragon he was going to tear apart, if whomever caused it had one. N'kal realized it hadn't been in his mind when he heard Toraths body brush against his hut as he curled himself into his sleeping hole.

"Blasted beast is going to tear my hut down one of these days...", he mumbled, but had a bit of a grin as he reached for Torath's mind. Then we shall build you a better one. With more chairs., Torath answered, entirely too amused. 'I don't need more damn chairs.', he grumbled back. Torath made a sound which clearly told N'kal he was laughing at him, yet did not actually reply.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

"I don't want to be in the middle of it.  Any of it."  Bordtai said almost defensivly as he thought about the mess going on with the Weyrleadership right now.  Bordtai had been raised in the Weyr and was all to familiar with ranks.  But that familiarity was exactly why this all felt so wrong.  D'ren had been the Weyrleader for all of Bordtai's 12 turns.  A propper Bronzerider who looked and played the part.

To have anyone besides D'ren was going to feel wrong, but the feeling was made worse by it being a Brownrider and even further strengthened by the fact that it was a brownrider like S'kef.  Bordtai was not deaf.  He'd heard the rumors about the man growing up and he felt less than comfortable when the man was nearby.  Needless to say, Bordtai still hoped D'ren would get better and take back his place as Weyrleader.

Hearing the next question, the small boy scowled and took the offered Klah before looking at the fire and not making eye contact with the man next to him.  "Nothin' to say."  He mumbled in response before following the man's example and taking a sip of the hot and spicy drink.  It was strong and Bordtai couldn't help the face he made at the flavor.

How did adults drink the stuff?  But at least it was warm and the warmth felt good in his hands.

Chewing his lip for a moment, Bordtai made to steer the conversation away from his nose and back to what they had overheard.  "Do you think D'ren is going to be healthy again?"

From my phone, excuse any inconsistencies or spelling errors.

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

N'kal grunted softly and nodded at Bordtai response, though it was a bit defensive for his tastes. "Me either kid...me either. Be glad you're not a rider yet." N'kal had no reason to think Bordtai wasn't a candidate, he had been the same awkward boy many years ago. And I chose you, and we have grown strong together, Torath rumbled in his mind, conveying all the love he felt for N'kal. Toraths words warmed the older man's heart like it always did.

When N'kal looked at Bordtai, waiting for a response, he was greeted with a scowl and refused eye contact. "Hmm..", was all he said at first when he got the dismissive answer. Once the boy took a drink of the hot Klah and made a face he gave him a kinder look. "Yeah...I never used to like talking about how I got my cuts and bruises either." He gave the boy a knowing look then took another drink of klah. No one ever seemed to think someone who had grown into a towering rider could have been picked on and beat up, but he hadn't always been this big, and hadn't always had Torath by his side.

N'kal had turned his attention to the fire and was staring into the dancing flames when Bordtai asked his question. It was a question that laid heavy on his heart. He worried for the entire state of the weyr, not to mention what was left of Tsuen's sanity, if D'ren didn't pull through. He gave a heavy sigh and glanced over at Bordtai. "Sadly I do not know...I hope so...I hope so for the sake of all of us." Outside Torath gave a sad sounding croon in response to his words. He wasn't close to Ronarth, but he was very worried about the dragon's health, and for the health of his rider.

OMG...I am so sorry that is so short x.x

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

It was true that Bordtai was like so many others, blinking in surprise that the giant of a man could have once been the victim of bullying.  Surely Bordtai had heard that wrong or was interpreting it wrong but when he ran the words through his head again he came to the same conclusion.  N’kal had a rough, wild look to him.  Savage in fact.  Surely nobody was stupid enough to pick on such a large man who looked so savage.

But Bordtai looked down at the clothes that he now wore and while they were still big on him, they were certainly far too small for the man sharing Klah with him now.  Perhaps they had belonged to his son?  That was certainly more believable than to think that such a large man had once started out so small.  Narrowing his eyes a bit skeptically, he raised them back to the wild looking bronzerider. 

“You’re telling me that you ever lost a fight?  You’re too big to lose a fight.”  He said, his voice barely accusing the man of lying, but still accusing none the less.  Then again… If one wanted to really get technical, Bordtai hadn’t lost the fight today.  After all, you can’t lose a fight if you don’t fight back right?  Bordtai had learned a few turns ago that if he didn’t fight back the larger boys grew bored a lot faster and he actually came out better in the end.

Perhaps that was why they had taken to calling him a dimglow and it wasn’t just because letters were beyond his grasp still to this day.  Because he was too dumb to keep standing up for himself.  But at the end of the day the fading bruises looked a lot less colorful when the beatings lasted half as long so Bordtai felt it was the right choice.  Wasn’t it?

The response to his question about D’ren was certainly not heartwarming and Bordtai sighed sadly at the thought that even the bronze riders were not sure if the Weyrleader would actually return to them and continue to lead the Weyr. 

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

N'kal couldn't help but give a grin at the look on the boys face. It was something he was used to by now, when and if he ever imparted the information that he used to get beat up on. He was amused as the boy looked sown at the clothes he lent him, obviously trying to puzzle something out in his mind. 'He doesn't believe me!', he told Torath, amused to no end. Shocking...given your current stature, I am not sure I would believe you either if not for your memories., replied Torath, equally amused.

When the boy looked back up at him with narrowed eyes, he still had an amused grin on his face. He had just taken a drink of his klah, the last swallow in his cup, when Bordtai asked his question. Said mouthful went spraying out of his mouth and he coughed a bit before giving a rich deep laugh that lasted several long moments before, shaking his head, he calmed and looked at the boy. "Shards boy! I've probably lost more fights at your age then you've seen Turns!"

He stood up and gestured for the boy to do the same. True enough he towered over the boy but he had been much smaller back in his day. "Before Torath chose me, I was small and silent. People think I don't like being social  now? I was worse when I was your age. Maybe just a few inches taller, but when I was a weyrbrat things were very different. You'll grow, and when you are chosen by a dragon, you'll get some muscle on that little arms and legs, don't you worry!" N'kal reached for Torath and sent him some older memories to relay back to Bordtai. The memory wasn't one of the worst, but it would hopefully prove a point. He had been scrawny and refused to speak to any of his fellow weyrlings, with one exception, unless he had no choice, this had been the cause of a great deal of misery for him in the past. The memory showed him slumped between the legs of a much younger and smaller Torath, though just as savage, whose eyes were swirling bright red, maw parted in an angry roar. N'kal's face was a mess, bloody nose, fat bloody lip, and a black left eye. Behind him and Torath was an angry green and her rider, being held back by other green riders and dragons. 'Let him see...not all big men started out that way.'

N'kal would share something with you, Torath imparted to Bordtai before sharing the memories with him. There must be something about you...he does not ever share his past., he offered quietly as he imparted the memory to him. N'kal waited a few moments while Torath gently relayed the images to Bordtai, brow lifted as he waited for a reaction. He never shared his past with anyone. EVER. So he wasn't sure what it was about this boy that made him want to share things with him, but he did. Maybe it would give the boy some hope that his life would get better. While he waited for the boy to respond he refilled his cup with klah and seated himself again. This is very unlike you N'kal., Torath nudged his mind gently before settling down. 'Indeed', was all he answered. It's very kind of you. You might be in danger of actually liking someone enough to call him friend, he continued in his usual lazy drawl, though he also sounded rather proud of his bonded, for taking that unusual step.

N'kal would have rolled his eyes at Torath had he been in view, but he did not want Bordtai to think he was rolling his eyes at him. It dawned on him that Torath might be right, but he wasn't about to tell him that. He caught the boy's sigh over his answer about D'ren. Quietly he said, "Look, don't you worry about D'ren. He's a fighter, he's not goin' anywhere.", he gave the boy a stern look then softened some, giving him a more reassuring look. 'He damn well better not anyway...', he said to Torath without changing his facial features. Indeed, Torath rumbled back.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Bordtai had jumped as Klah went flying across the space between them when N’kal let out a bit of laughter at the small boy’s words.  As huge and savage looking as the bronze rider was, to see a smile on his face and a laugh on his lips was… contagious.  Even if Bordtai had been mad at the world, he couldn’t have kept his lips from forming a lopsided grin at the loss of the Klah.

Standing when directed, he’d set his own cup of Klah in his chair for safety before craning his neck back to look up at the giant of a man and listen to his words – his words of promises that he’d grow yet and maybe even thicken out a bit.  His lopsided smile up at the man faltered when the bronze touched his mind to share the memory and for a moment Bordtai’s hazel eyes lost focus as he looked at the picture not truly in front of him.

The picture was the last he’d ever expected to see of the man before him.  Beaten and broken with his dragon, a dragon that was too once a little thing that had grown so large.  There was a new respect in his eyes when they refocused on the man who’d reseated himself. 

“I didn’t realize a dragon could change a person so much.”  He said as followed the older man’s example, picking back up his cup and sitting down again, though this time a little straighter as he sat a little closer to the edge of the chair.  He was eager to hear the man’s story.  Eager to hear it and feed it into his own dreams of someday being a dragonrider.  “What was it like?  Out on the hatching sands?”

I swear to god I'm still around.  T_T  Sorry the reply took me so long to get to.  <3

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

N'kal liked this kid, he listened and seemed like he had a good heart, and even if he was a tiny thing, N'kal suspected one day he would fill out, and much like himself learn how to defend himself. He chuckled a bit when the boy's expression changed, knowing that Torath was doing as he asked. He watched him as he seemed to daze out and stare off far away. After a couple moments, when Bordtai had refocased on him he gave him a gentle smile and nodded before moving away to get a rag and dropping it on the mess he made, used his foot to sort of dry it up. He would deal with it properly tomorrow, for now he had company he actually didn't mind having, cleaning could wait. You're going to get bugs...again., Torath rumbled at him. 'Oh hush...', he replied, amused at his dragons fussing.

Bordtai's words made him give a big smile as his mind went back over the years. He gave a nod and said, "When a dragon chooses you to be his bonded it seemes to change everything, including your outlook on life." He took a drink of his klah, a thoughtful look on his face as he spoke again, the memory of his Impression always fresh in his mind like it had just happened days ago, rather then several long turns. "Out on the sands it's hot and humid, almost worse from the stands. See, I wasn't searched, never thought about being searched. I was horribly withdrawn and silent, hadn't spoken in turns when Torath hatched. My father had taken me to see the hatching, a Harper friend of his invited us along.", He smiled wistfully, not seeing Bordtai at the moment, his find far away, deep in a memory.

"People were shoutin', as they will, for every dragon that chose a candidate. When Torath hatched, I remember him looking through all the candidates, many tried to get in front of him, tried to get him to choose them, but he wouldn't. The crowd got kind of quiet, folks started stalking about loosing a hatchling. I remember being afraid he would go between, he was such a beautiful thing." Still am thank you very much.., Torath rumbled quietly as N'kal continued, "It happened so fast, I remember thinking he needed to hurry up and Impress, then I was being dragged from my fathers side, terrified I'd done something wrong I tried to get away, until I realized the beast was looking dead at me. I was lost in those rainbow swirling eyes, and knew I was finally meant to do more then impose on my father for the rest of my life" Outside Torath trumpted happily, partly due to N'kal's telling of his hatching, and partly because the rain finally stopped.

He chuckled a bit, when he realized he had just rambled on, very unusual for him to talk, forget go on and on about himself. We must keep this one around, he is good for you., Torath teased him gently as he continued. "It's like no feelin' on all of Pern, nothing will ever effect you like the bond and love of a dragon, it don't matter who you are, what you are, or what you do. He might not have changed me, just saw who I was inside and helped me to realize it. Not his fault I grew so much, but you spend your days washin scrubbin, and climbin' up on a dragon day after day and see if you don't get some muscles too!" He grinned again then fell silent for a bit, to let the boy take in his story. 'It feels strange...to share with someone after all this time.', he said quietly to Torath, who flooded him with love that he couldn't help from smiling at. It's good. Maybe it is because he is still so young and more then willing to listen, to learn. N'kal looked at Bordtai and thought Torath might just be right.

Haha You're fine!! I'm about the same way! <3

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

“You weren’t even on the hatching sands?!”  Bordtai found himself blurting out at the end of the story.  N’kal’s chances to impress must have been huge to get a dragon from a clutch he wasn’t even a candidate for!  Sure, Bordtai had heard that it happened now and then – but even the last hatching the gold candidate had been pushed onto the sands before she impressed to the surprise gold – the gold hadn’t found her on the sidelines!

Despite the story’s goal of being reassuring, the small boy grew quiet and his chest fell slightly.  He was going to have to not only be better than all the rest of the candidates on the sands, but everyone else standing around who didn’t already have a dragon!  His odds seemed small…  Sure, N’kal had been small like him before the huge bronze impressed to him, but N’kal had been found from the sidelines.

Looking down at his feet that were dangling a short ways off the floor, he kicked them slightly as he considered the story.  Well, at least if nothing else the bronze rider was making a point that perhaps size wasn’t everything that mattered.  There was… something else.  Shards, Bordtai hoped that it wasn’t smarts!  There had to be something else…  What, Bordtai couldn’t fathom just at that moment, but he was sure to spend the next few days thinking about it.

Hearing the rain stop outside, Bordtai looked up at the window before pushing himself off the chair and setting his barely touched Klah on the chair.  “Thank you for the Klah.”  He said before a crooked smile tugged at his lips as he looked up at the man even though the man was still seated.  “And for the clothes.  I should get going before the women-folk think I’m skirting chores.”

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

N'kal gave a deep rumbling laugh at the boy's outburst. He shook his head though and answered after a moment. "Nope. No one would have ever guessed I would be a rider, not even my father. I think he was more shocked then I was." It was always the memory of his Impression that reminded him that good things could happen to even the most unsuspecting or even the most undeserving of people. It was something he could never convey to others properly though he seemed to have been able to get Bordtai to see it, understand or believe it was another thing of course.

He lifted a brow as he watched the boy a moment, taking note of his almost instant change in body language. He stood up and gave a little grunt, rolling his shoulders slightly. "Stop thinkin' so much about it boy. You'll ride a dragon before long, mark my words. You're still young, don't ever lose hope, and don't be discouraged." He gave Bordtai a crooked smile after saying that. "Just remember, a dragon with choose you. All you can do is pay attention in your lessons and learn, find out who you are and don't worry about anyone else. Your dragon will find you no matter where you are, sands or stands, don't matter."

Torath trumpeted his encouragement from outside. I too believe you have what a strong dragon seeks within you., Torath offered the boy quietly, his tone sincere and rumbling before falling silent again to let the humans continue their conversation. N'kal had heard the rain stop as well and when Bordtai got up he nodded and stood up as well. "You are more then welcome...and you are more then welcome to stop by any time, not something I tell most people.", he said with a look that suggested the boy should take care to know what it meant for N'kal to open his home to him. He walked to the door and opened it, looking out as if to make sure the rain had indeed stopped. Torath shifted and moved forward and curled his neck around the corner of the house, eyes swirling blue. Does he want a lift?, Torath asked, and N'kal relayed the question with a grin, knowing exactly what Torath was thinking. "Torath would like to know if you want a lift." Torath had a protective streak, and if he were to land with Bordtai on his back and see those boys again who had been picking on him he would give them such a start, just to amuse himself and to let them know Bordtai had friends. Most didn't mess with Bronze riders, unless they truly wanted trouble.

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

Bordtai had followed the bronzer to the door and stepped outside with the man as he seemed to check on the rain.  Seeing the bronze dragon’s head snake around the building had the boy smiling at the bronze’s blue eyes even before the rider relayed Torath’s question.  The look of surprise mixed with one of guilty excitement as Bordtai looked up at N’kal to make sure he’d heard him right.  “A lift?  He’d really let me ride on him?”

Many of the weyrbrats in the Weyr had parents who spent little to no time with them, but there were still quiet a few who boasted of being able to ride on their parents dragons from time to time.  Throughout his life he’d had a handful of rides himself – but they were few enough and spread out widely enough that the novelty had never died. 

“I don’t think I could pass up the chance to ride Torath.”  Bordtai said, a twinkle in his eyes.  Looking at the beast, the boy blushed a little.  “I might need help getting up though… I don’t think he’d be much like climbing on a little green…”

OMG I'm so sorry life got crazy on me.  xD  But I swear I haven't forgotten about N'kal and Torath.  <3 Oh and feel free to power play Bordtai to help him onto Torath.  xD

N'kal
of Bronze Torath

Date of Birth
20.03.696, 49
Height
6'1"
Eyes
Hazel/Green
Build
Muscular, Toned
Hair
Brown, Shoulder Length

Threads

Seeing the look on Bordtai's face, the surprise of the offer plain to read, reminded him that the boy was just that, a boy. A boy who wanted to be a dragon rider, and who had all the heart for it, he just needed to believe in himself. That hadn't helped him, he hadn't even been searched, so Bordtai already had one up on him there. He is a good boy, and I am sure he will be a great dragon rider, said to N'kal, both of them amused by his reaction. Torath didn't care for ferrying people around, but this was a special case and he was glad to show off a little for those boys who had messed with him earlier, if they were indeed hanging around the weyrbowl.

N'kal gave Bordtai a broad grin and nodded. "So it would seem, and he tends to be very picky about who he lets ride him." Torath moved away from the hut giving off an amused rumble, laying down, waiting for his passengers. N'kal gave a gruff laugh at Bordtai's next words, his excitement a bit infectious. "No worries, we will get you up there.", he gave a nod toward Torath and once they were outside, shut the door to his hut, and with a grace one would never expect of the man was up on Torath's leg, then shoulder, and seated. He looked down at him and gave him direction on how to get on board, which was a bit different, given he wasn't wearing his riding gear, there for there were no straps to hold onto. "Alright, that's it on the leg, Easy Torath, don't lift him so fast, we've got no gear. Hand there..foot there and..", at that moment he took the boy's arm firmly and effortlessly lifted him the rest of the way, and waited for him to settle behind him.

"Ready?", he asked, and given a nod he gave Torath a silent signal and he stood up and moved away from the trees to spread his wings wide, crouched down and prepared to lift himself in the air. "Make sure you hold tight now!" At that Torath gave a great down sweep of his wings, and several more times they were fully airborne and clear of huts and trees. Torath gave a bugle and propelled himself forward rather lazily as he did not want to risk dropping their new friend. It wasn't long before they were over the weyrbowl, circling lazily until he pulled up and landed as lightly as he could, back feet touching down just shortly before his front. He fanned out his winges and rumbled deeply, annoyed that the weyrbrats were to for away for him to snort at, but they were there doing chores, being fussed at by an older woman.

Torath sent a menacing growl in the direction of the boys who shot glares at Bordtai, once N'kal had helped him down, and followed him in the direction of the woman who was apparently in charge. She shot the boy a look of displeasure, then had the decency to blush and figit with her hands when N'kal glared down at her. "Bordtai here was helping me clean out my hut, so I would appreciate if he wasn't punished for shirking duties. I do apologize however for not clearing it with someone first." He placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave the woman, a kitchen worker most likely, hell if he knew, nor did he care, but he gave her a look that allowed no room for argument. He then turned to Bordtai, giving him a nod and a knowing grin. "Appreciate your help Bordtai, next time I need help I will be sure to ask first." 

Ty for permission..I got musey!! xD If you want to send N'kal off in your thread feel free..I was going to but it would have been odd I think so yeah LOL

Pronouns
Discord
{hidden}

Threads

It didn’t surprise Bordtai in the least how effortlessly he was hoisted the last remaing stretch onto Torath, he was very skinny beneath the too-large clothes.  Even so, he couldn’t manage to smother the smile that was spread across his face as he took seat behind N’kal and took two big handfuls of the man’s shirt to hold onto.  After the initial jolt of take off that had Bordtai bumping his sore nose against the man’s back, he brought a sleeve up to it just to make sure it hadn’t started bleeding again before taking in the sights below him of his home.

He hadn’t really believed some of the Weyrbrats who had ridden different color dragons when they claimed that there was a difference in the ride, but now that he was able to compare the huge Bronze Torath to the handful of smaller green’s he had the chance to ride, he could feel it.  There was so much more power and strength behind Torath’s wings it made the flight much smoother after that initial jolt.  He could bet a mark on the fact that with such a wide wingspan, Torath would have easily outdistanced any green in a speed race as well.  Maybe not so much for turning, but for getting from one point to another, the larger dragon would win the match just as much as the larger boys with longer legs always won the foot races.

In his joy of the flight, Bordtai had not initially noticed the looks he was getting from the other boys until his feet touched the ground with N’kal’s help.  Looking over now, he’d ducked behind the bronze rider only to find the womanfolk frowning at him.  When N’kal spoke up in his defense, Bordtai had actually jumped in surprise, looking up at the bronze rider with a ‘thank you’ clear on his face.

“Yer Welcome, Bronzerider N’kal!”  he said, his smile returning for the moment.  Nodding when the woman told him where he was to start, he waved back at the bronze dragon with a smile before hurrying off to get what work was to be done before dinner.  He would have liked to have claimed that the rest of his evening went well, but it’s true that jealousy can have an ugly face.

[[Thread Closed]]

Activity
Reading: 1 Guest(s)