World of Pern
[G] [C] 743.06.20 | Say My Name - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Fort Territories (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Fort Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+--- Thread: [G] [C] 743.06.20 | Say My Name (/showthread.php?tid=5246)

743.06.20 | Say My Name - Qu'va - 20.Jun.22

N'lis flopped against his dragon in a rather dramatic fashion but it fit his mood. He had thought enough time had passed since the dramatic Flight and the gossip would have moved on to something else but he had been wrong. An attempt to eat dinner while it was being served hot had started out well enough but midway through and he noticed a group sitting down the long table from him kept looking over and gesturing. No one ever seemed to notice or care that his knots were blue instead of brown; they just decided the person they heard it from had the colour wrong. His appetite was killed and he quietly scraped his plate into a bin but did take the bowl of bread pudding with him for later. It wasn't as good as what his mom used to make for the tavern but it was still his favourite way to use up stale bread.

The people that matter know we aren't the troublemakers, Dalsuth attempted to soothe his rider's distress. He was still lying on his ledge, trying to catch the last of the day's sun but had worried when he felt the anxiety spike. He wanted to scream for all to hear that they were both kind and N'lis was the sweetest boy ever but he wasn't sure that would help.

N'lis, however, picked up that thought and considered it. He had been tempted as well but hated confrontation, which was why he never said anything to individuals when it happened. Who would believe him anyway? It might also make the gossipers angrier and N'lis wasn't a fighter. He was barely a lover from what he was learning about M'quel's sexual interests and needs she got elsewhere. That was probably also what people were talking about when they pointed at him. She hadn't really kept her attraction to T'ryn and their activities quiet and N'lis thought it was A'tay he had to worry about.

"Sometimes I wish I was someone else," N'lis mumbled against Dalsuth's neck when he settled a little closer and hugged his sweet boy. But what if he was? Moving to the Weyr was supposed to give him a fresh start and a shot at a dragon. He got the dragon and found a home for himself at Fort Weyr but he'd stayed the same quiet and shy boy he'd always been. Maybe it was time to try to find the confident man so many people--And me!-- seemed to believe he could be. A confident and charismatic bluerider and a confident and desirable lover. He could do that. Maybe. He laughed as his attempt was already failing.

Aradissicath tells stories about people in disguise and with a change of name they become someone new. Dalsuth softly suggested, nudging his boy with his nose.

"I can't just change my name." Could he?

I gave you that name you have now so why can't I give you a new one? One that better fits you, empowers you, and makes you different from that vile brown pair. Dalsuth did have a point and N’lis chewed on the idea a little longer, letting it take root and grow. Finally he smiled with the decision to at least see what was in store. “So what would you change it to now that you know me so well?”

Dalsuth didn’t even hesitate as he simply stated, Qu’va.

“Qu’va? Hmm.” It was definitely different from N’lis and V’lis, possibly even any honorific he had heard before. That’s the point. You aren’t N’lis and it should be something very different and the name of the man you want to be. A man that still also loves his mom and this brings a bit of her back to you. Not that she was ever gone but you think she is a strong woman so let that encourage you.

“Qu’va,” he tried it out again, this time smiling and liking it. And really, who was he to go against his dragon? If Dalsuth said it was fine to change his name and thought this one better suited him, then that was what it would be. He scrambled to his feet and went to the edge of the ledge, feeling emboldened as he shouted, “I am not brownrider V’lis! I’m not even bluerider N’lis anymore! I am Qu’va of blue Dalsuth!” He was higher up and near the caved in weyrs so he heard his voice bounce around a little, smiling at the absurdity of what he just did and believing no one would hear.

But then a few dragons were crooning and Dalsuth chuckling with pride coming through their bond and Qu’va knew that word would spread of his new name. He was suddenly stumbling back from the ledge and laughing as he plopped back down on the ground. “I can’t believe I did that. I guess that’s step one in living up to this new name.” He had a long way to go with building up his confidence but he’d already overcome a lot and with Dalsuth, he could do a lot more.