World of Pern
[G] [P] 742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Benden Territory (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=170)
+--- Forum: Benden Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=128)
+--- Thread: [G] [P] 742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus (/showthread.php?tid=5073)

742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus - Rh'us - 06.Jul.21

How long had it been since he actually Stood for a hatching on purpose? Rhamnus- Rh'us didn't think it was quite ten years, but definitely more than five. So at least he'd heard the spiel before, sort of remembered what he was supposed to do. But still, Rhamn-Rh'us the bronze's voice smoothly said in an even and cultured tone that was far more patient than Rham-Rh'us. The healer, already quite disgruntled, whirled around to glare at the dragonet still following him. "What?!"

You are Rh'us now. I'm helping you remember, came the almost frustratingly calm reply. Hispidath knew that his man was still agitated and confused and didn't really mean to lash out at him, and so he forgave his grumpiness for the moment, even if it was very, very hard while he was so terribly hungry. To that end, Rha-Rh'us.

With a long and weary sigh, the healer-turned-weyrling bronzerider grabbed a bucket of meat that Hispidath greedily shoved his face into. "I don't... how... it doesn't even make sense." I like it. "But you're pronouncing it like 'ruse' wouldn't it make more sense to say-" No. You are Rh'us, it makes sense to me and I like it and you are mine and you don't have to be so angry about it.

The bronze lifted his head just long enough to gently give his precious rider a nuzzle before getting back to feeding himself. Rh'us sighed, and reached down to gently pat Hispidath's head. "We're going to have to have a talk and figure this out later... when you're less hungry and I can think straight."

Hispidath let out a soft grumbling grunt that squelched around a mouthful of food as his only reply. With a shake of his head, Rh'us looked around and spotted a familiar face heading over. He gave L'gan a tired nod in acknowledgement. "Well... here we are. And this is... mine. I guess. Hispidath." The bronze lifted his bloody muzzle out of the bucket again to study their visitor for a moment before plainly stating, He's Rh'us. Like ruse. And he's mine. With that over with and his rider unable to try and forget his name again, Hispidath shoved his head back into the bucket.

RE: 742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus - L'gan - 07.Jul.21

“I know Master Verec wrote you off a long time ago, but he won’t be pleased to hear that his age guidelines aren’t infallible,” L’gan joked as he headed over to the new pair. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Hispidath. Maybe you’ll straighten out our friend Rh’us here a bit,” he teased, deliberately enunciating the honorific. “Though hopefully not too much.”

He leaned against the wall, watching the bronze eat with the single-minded intensity of the newly hatched. “The others cleaned up your tools and set them aside in your bag so they don’t wander off.” He’d overheard the comment, and figured it would help reassure Rham—no, Rh’us. “I’d ask how you’re holding up, but from that sour expression I bet I know what your response would be.” L’gan offered his friend a smile. “It does get easier, even if it’s still a shock.”

RE: 742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus - Rh'us - 07.Jul.21

Rh...Rh'us grunted, huffing a little as he was hit by the irony of finally having been captured. "I'd written myself off a long time ago." He'd been kidnapped, made to stand for what felt like nothing, come back north to nothing, got settled with his work, and now, now of all times he had been found out by a little bronze dragon. Hispidath gave a swish of his tail, pleased with his little victory, that he'd managed to find his man even if Rh'us didn't yet appreciate it.

The healer at least could be relieved that his tools were safe. He gave L'gan an appreciative nod. "Oh good, I'll just have to grab my bag then and... I guess put it away for storage until they let me get back to work." That thought presented a new irritation. What was he expected to do? He was a grown man, not some boy with all the time in the world! He turned to his other healer friend, eyebrow raised. He'd gone through this before... "When did they let you get back to work? And was yours so... meddlesome?"

RE: 742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus - L'gan - 14.Jul.21

L’gan laughed at the question. “Semath got me into all sorts of trouble--and still does. And as for work, they’ll let you get back to it when Hispidath is ready for you to. I’m sure there won’t be a shortage of scrapes to deal with in the meantime with this class, even though that’s not as interesting as your research. But frankly you’re going to be run ragged anyway keeping up with a growing dragonet.”

He looked the young bronze over appreciatively; he seemed sturdy, with good proportions, and certainly had a good appetite. “At least you broke the streak of greenriding healers we’ve had going lately. Though what a bronze saw in you…” he teased, trailing off and ducking a half-hearted shove from his friend. “Kidding, kidding…”

“As for your work,” he added, “let me know if there’s any experiments you need monitored by someone with half a brain cell.” He knew the healer was picky about help sometimes. “I’m pretty busy these days, but Bell and I could maybe give you a hand if you needed any records copied or things put away.” He didn’t say it aloud, but it would be nice to find a small project for his mate to give her something to focus on. She’d been having a tough recovery, and maybe if it was for a friend and something easy, it would help.

RE: 742.07.05 | Healer Formerly Known as Rhamnus - Rh'us - 14.Jul.21

Rh'us didn't like the sound of that at all, being run ragged was best left to young men who still had foolish amounts of energy to devote to whatever random thing came their way. He'd rather save his energy for more entertaining pursuits, like tormenting certain bronzeriders or getting an extra bit of fun on his examination table, or entertaining a certain candi- well she wasn't a candidate anymore. And now he couldn't even go back to his original plan of taking out his frustrations on T'drin. You have me now and we can play other games, his new little bronze companion declared.

Great. Just great. He rolled his eyes at L'gan's mention of how Healers had been getting greens and reached over to give the man a lazy shove, huffing slightly when the motion was dodged. "I got a bronze because clearly I'm meant to torment people. Or maybe this will be what I need to get people to listen to my instructions for their recovery." Hispidath gave a nod, after all he was a bronze and that meant people should take him and his rider seriously. And that was why when he chirped for more food, an assistant brought another bucket. See? Clearly it was working out.

"My work?" Rh'us quickly shook his head. "No, I have an assistant who should be able to manage putting things away for me. I already invested plenty of time showing him how I like to organize things and making sure he can handle things safely. He can handle it for me, but thank you." He'd never been especially fond of others meddling with his research, and he found himself incredibly grateful that he'd let Ulliendis convince him to teach a few things. Rh'us tilted his head curiously as he asked, "And speaking of your lady, how is she doing? I heard she had quite the rough time. We recently had several deaths here."