World of Pern
[G] [C] 740.03.16 | Intentions - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Ista Weyr Boundaries (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=143)
+--- Forum: Ista Weyr (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=144)
+--- Thread: [G] [C] 740.03.16 | Intentions (/showthread.php?tid=4368)

740.03.16 | Intentions - M'ris - 22.Mar.19

M'ris knew he shouldn't meddle in the affairs of his children considering he hadn't really been a model father or example of how to behave for the early parts of their lives. However, his daughter would turn fourteen that turn and his eldest son would be nineteen and while he trusted his kids, he was also worried they would get into the kind of trouble he had found so easily. Knowing Dimarna could and likely would fall for a dragonrider and possibly one of the flirtatious bad boy blues or browns definitely added to his fears and he wanted to be ready to guide her to a nice boy and scare away the bad ones. Thankfully, R'dal--bless his innocence-- seemed to hang around his group of Katila 'brats and one particular greenrider the most. That greenrider would be perfect for practicing his tactics on.

It was why he had Mosiath contact Halomirth with orders to send her rider to see the Weyrleader after lunch. He also made sure it was passed on this wasn't a trick and that he would actually be here this time. It had been amusing at the time, letting F'drel think he was meeting with him but was in fact being set up to talk to a bored young Lord that didn't like how the greenrider seemed to hide from him. If there was one thing he hated the most about being Weyrleader, it was dealing with Lords. That was probably why he apologised to F'drel later that day... and then picked on him about his time with R'dal. Perhaps he shouldn't do that again?

Nah.

He was genuinely curious about that relationship and if he needed to step in to encourage or dissuade it from happening. He was also curious about the lack of R'dal in Ista the last several days and wanted to know if he was too late and the greenrider broke his son's gentle heart. He'd find out soon as the kitchens would be closing soon and F'drel would have to arrive for his appointment.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - F'drel - 02.Apr.19

There was nothing about being summoned to meet the Weyrleader that boded well. Apparently it wasn’t a cover for a visiting Lord this time, according to Halomirth according to Mosiath, but F’drel wasn’t sure how much faith he put in the statement. M’ris had done it once, and F’drel hadn’t yet been convinced he’d never do something like it again. Hopefully, hopefully M’ris just needed a messenger or something and for whatever reason thought of F’drel. Maybe he had a message for Jalazmar, or Lord Nabol, or some like person. Which wouldn’t be any fun to deliver, but would make sense. The Weyrleader, unfortunately, knew of his ties to Nabol and that his siblings worked for Jalazmar, so if he needed an ‘in’ with either group F’drel knew he wasn’t a bad choice.

Or maybe it was about R’dal, since his friend was the Weyrleader’s son, as much as F’drel had trouble processing that fact sometimes, and had quizzed him on their friendship before. Which may just be worse than having to visit Nabol — no, talking about R’dal with his father may be awkward, but Nabol would definitely be worse. So much worse. Jalazmar he could manage, Nabol he’d really rather not. Even so, he didn’t really want to be questioned about his friendship with R’dal. Or whatever M’ris thought it was. Most people probably thought they were ‘together’ in some fashion by this point, and the Weyrleader was unlikely to be an exception.

Which was awkward, because they weren’t, in fact, sleeping together in a non-platonic fashion. F’drel wasn’t entirely sure the Weyrleader would believe him if he said so, however. He was a bronzerider and R’dal’s father, he probably thought whatever assumptions he made were right. Typical. He should know what his own son was like — he’d nap with anyone and their cousin, it hardly made F’drel special or indicated he and R’dal were destined to be mates forever or some bullshit.

F’drel grumbled all the way to the Weyrleader’s office, amusing Halomirth immensely, though she was still a little unclear on why the distinction was so important. She didn’t bother categorizing her friends like that — she loved all of them, did it matter whether or not they had caught her? Halomirth wasn’t sure, and F’drel had given up trying to explain it to her. He thought — hoped — she’d figure out the differences eventually on her own.

As he got closer to the office, F’drel could feel Miri mentally wrapping herself around him, bolstering him against the thing that caused him anxiety. F’drel smiled softly, filled with love for his dragon. Even if the silly green had questionable tastes in people she thought would make good friends.

Clinging onto Miri to keep from turning around and going right back to his weyr to hide, F’drel approached the door and knocked.

“Weyrleader? It’s F’drel.”

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - M'ris - 03.Apr.19

Bless punctual greenriders. M’ris hated waiting around and got enough of that from the Lords that wanted to play power games and try to one up him by summoning him for a meeting and then making him wait around staring at tacky tapestries while sitting in uncomfortable chairs. He was in his own office this time but there didn’t seem to be a point in starting any work since he knew he’d either have no attention span for it or he’d fall into the task and not want to stop when F’drel did show. So he sat slouched in his chair, staring at the ceiling.

When F’drel announced himself, M’ris sat up straight and put on his Weyrleader face. He beckoned the man to enter and indicated a chair for him to sit in, waiting until he did so. Some of his dragonriders didn’t like sitting either because they had too much nervous energy to do so or they thought standing gave them some sort of edge above him. Again, power plays. M’ris really wished people could just get over themselves. Sometimes a talk was just a talk. Sometimes it actually was nice to show respect to the Weyrleader. When F’drel sat down, M’ris had to wonder if it was out of respect by following an order or if he was afraid to disobey it and get in trouble. Greenriders were hard to read at times.

“I just wanted to check in with you. It’s been a while since our last chat and I like to keep up with the dragonriders of my Weyr, see how they’re feeling, if something’s bothering them, if I can help in anyway.” It wasn’t entirely a lie. He did like doing that and did want his people to be happy and comfortable but he also didn’t want to just jump on F’drel and start asking questions about his relationship with R’dal. He wanted to ease into the topic. He wanted to know more about the man his son so clearly liked.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - F'drel - 07.Apr.19

F’drel cautiously entered the office, trying to subtly glance around to make sure M’ris wasn’t hiding any Lords in there. He was not. In fact, they Weyrleader was the only person in the room. F’drel couldn’t decide if that was a good thing or not. He moved to take the chair when M’ris gestured to it, not wanting to start off the meeting with disobeying the Weyrleader. Besides, F’drel was pretty sure M’ris was the kind of authority who relaxed a little when people just did as he wanted, which was better than the alternative of a pissy Weyrleader.

Barely, barely, F’drel managed not to say something snarky — stupid — and ask how long it took to meet with every dragonrider currently living in Ista. Okay, maybe he didn’t claim every dragonrider, just dragonriders as a whole, but still. F’drel still felt targeted. He still assumed it was either about R’dal or his unfortunate connections to Holder Lords, but if he thought about it M’ris had always paid a weird amount of attention to him. The bronzerider had bought him wine an a Gather once and given him spending money, which still severely weirded F’drel out and was definitely a cause for concern in his mind. M’ris wasn’t this invested in other greenriders, F’drel knew he wasn’t. He wasn’t a total recluse, he did spend time with other greenriders sometimes, even called a few friends, and none of them had similar interactions with the Weyrleader. It meant F’drel was in some way ‘special,’ and F’drel hated it.

“I am well, Weyrleader,” he said quietly, counting the seconds of each breath to keep his breathing steady instead of holding it as he waited to figure out what the absolute fuck was going on with this meeting.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - M'ris - 07.Apr.19

M’ris frowned at the greenrider and the simple reply. He tried to open with enough hints about what he wanted to talk about, to hear any concerns that might be had, but he was given nothing in return except the generic answer that could be given to anyone at any time, even if one wasn’t well. Was it because he was intimidating? He tried hard to be approachable and Ameris had even told him he was sometimes too lenient in his attempts to be the best Weyrleader ever.

“I’m glad to hear you’re well but since you didn’t elaborate further, I suppose that means everything is fine with your weyr, dragon, comfort?” He wasn’t blind to the hierarchy that came with dragon hides and he could even be blamed of having certain prejudices against certain colours, but he still didn’t approve of greens being harassed for sex or used as a punching bag because someone was mad and they were nearby. Then again, if F’drel had any issues like that, R’dal likely would have found out about it and reported it out of concern. Then again… again… M’ris had also seen D’hys and Zeianth pop by to see F’drel—M’ris liked to keep an eye on certain riders with certain reputations when they made an appearance—so it was also possible his son’s greenrider was under protection of some sort.

That also worried him somewhat. What kind of deal did F’drel have to make with D’hys to ensure he’d be safe? Would it break R’dal’s heart? It was time to stop playing Weyrleader and start playing concerned dad. “But, if you don’t want to speak of such things, we can always talk about something we have in common; my son. How are you and R’dal doing? I haven’t seen him in Ista lately.”

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - F'drel - 08.Apr.19

‘Didn’t elaborate further’? What the fuck was he supposed to say? ‘Why yes, I oiled my dragon this morning and was planning to get more klah from the storeroom after lunch but then I was summoned here’? There was nothing bothering him that M’ris could do shit about, so no point complaining to him. Showing weakness unnecessarily was a poor choice, and F’drel didn’t want to give the Weyleader any more information than he had to.

“Halomirth is also well. Excited about the weather warming up.” His dragon was a fairly safe topic, and at least somewhat of concern for the Weyrleader. It’s not like Miri cared if he told people personal details about her, she would happily offer up the information herself if she were there. F’drel had really nothing to say about his weyr other than it was fine and suited its purpose. Comfort was much the same, if he interpreted it as physical comfort, at least. Was there anything else he could say that would make the Weyrleader happy? F’drel wasn’t sure.

He was saved from wracking his brain further by M’ris revealing the purpose for the meeting; his friendship with R’dal. F’drel’s guess — well, one of them, anyway — was correct. Not that it helped F’drel figure out what to say.

“We’re fine,” F’drel started, once again falling into neutral responses, but he struggled a bit with the second part of M’ris’ statement. It’s not like he saw R’dal every day, or even every week sometimes. The bluerider had a life and other friends that didn’t involve F’drel, which was perfectly fine by him. He was far too introverted to deal with R’dal without breaks, as fond as he was of the guy. It’s not like it had been ages, R’dal had visited maybe five days ago. How often did his father expect his son to stop by? “He was just in Ista a few days ago. Perhaps you missed him?” F’drel suggested, while also providing proof of… of what, that they were definitely still friends, or whatever M’ris thought they were? F’drel really wanted to know exactly what M’ris thought they were and how that would influence how M’ris treated him.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - M'ris - 15.Apr.19

M’ris studied F’drel carefully, making sure the boy wasn’t lying to him but he didn’t see any of the usual signs. He also figured F’drel was too smart to lie to his superiors, which was likely why he kept to such short answers. That was clever of him, just like it was to distract him with facts. R’dal was in Ista only days ago? That brought up more questions. Most pressing was finding the logs for the past few days to see who was on watch and why they didn’t record his son’s appearance. Maybe they assumed R’dal had a pass because of the family relation or perhaps they thought he lived in Ista with how often he was around. M’ris had a feeling he’d need to set up some clearer rules for the watchers to follow, especially with the recently graduated being rotated into the job.

But another important matter was why didn’t R’dal come to see him? He always popped by even when it was literally only to greet him and scamper off again. No doubt something was on the boy’s mind again and he was going to be a disappointment again—possibly because of F’drel. R’dal was the easiest but also the hardest person to figure out sometimes but M’ris recalled the day sweet little Ristandal Impressed and saw the relief combined with fear on the boy’s face. He had Impressed! But it was to a blue and his father was a bronze. It didn’t take a sober and far more actively participating father to know those thoughts had to be going through his mind. Was he now worried his straight bronzeriding Weyrleader father wouldn’t approve of his son being involved with an older greenrider? If only R’dal knew about the secret flings his dad used to have!

He’d figure that all out later; after he figured out what F’drel’s intentions were with R’dal. “It appears I did. I’m glad to hear you two seem to have such a good friendship where he always makes time for you.” M’ris leaned back in his chair, making himself comfortable and seem at ease as he examined his nails. “Tell me, as the father of that gentle soul, do I have any reason to worry about his happiness?” His gaze shot up from the nails he really hadn’t even been interested in to stare down F’drel.

“What are your intentions with my son, F’drel? Should I start the paperwork to have either of you relocated to the other’s Weyr with arrangements for a larger personal weyr?”

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - F'drel - 16.Apr.19

F’drel found himself momentarily speechless. Well. He’d wanted to know what M’ris thought, hadn’t he? Now he knew. What he didn’t know was what to do about it.

To start, after taking a moment to recover from M’ris’ question, F’drel tried to answer the Weyrleader’s first question. “He’s your son. I imagine you’ll always find a reason to worry about him.” F’drel knew he’d always worry about his siblings, no matter how safe a situation they may seem to be in at any given time. It was just the nature of caring for people in the dangerous world they lived in. He didn’t expect M’ris to be any different. “I do not wish to hurt him, and will never do so intentionally.” F’drel didn’t think he could promise he would never get unexpectedly angry about things and end up upsetting R’dal because of it — even if it wasn’t aimed at R’dal, the bluerider always seemed to think he was somehow at fault. Hopefully it would never happen again, but if it did, F’drel would try to make sure R’dal didn’t blame himself for it. But he couldn’t see a reason he would ever want to hurt R’dal’s feelings on purpose. Hopefully, M’ris could tell he was being truthful.

As for the other two questions…those were harder. Well, technically F’drel could answer truthfully that they were just friends, but should he? Could there be any reason R’dal wanted his father to think he was in a relationship? F’drel could never tell with R’dal, sometimes he seemed oblivious to everything and everyone and then others he seemed to have some complicated hidden plot for getting something to happen. And F’drel didn’t want to accidentally mess with any plan or some such, if R’dal had one. He’d have to ask if he knew his father thought they were dating… Besides, it may be better for F’drel himself if the Weyrleader thought he was dating his son. Actually, maybe it would be worse if it was going to result in him getting called to the Weyrleader’s office all the time. He’d have to think on it more. Better to talk to R’dal first before committing to anything either way — M’ris was R’dal’s father after all, not his, thank fuck.

“We’ve, uh, never discussed it.” F’drel said eventually. It was the truth, at least, and was a neutral statement — neither confirming nor denying anything. Somehow he doubted it’d be sufficient for M’ris.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - M'ris - 16.Apr.19

M'ris nodded at the confession that living arrangements had never been discussed. They were both young and growing up in the world where they were trying to find structure again. "That sounds like R'dal. He likely hasn't realised paperwork needs to be filled out and approval given before either of you can relocate." His son was so carefree and M'ris wanted to protect that even as he wished his son to grow into a respected and mature dragonrider. Although, the kid did do an amazing job with the wildfires, as did the one before him. He had done what he could to thank all those that came to the aid of the Ista residents but M'ris still felt like it wasn't enough and worried what he'd go through if Thread fell during his lifetime.

"Well. I suppose I'll hold off on starting any paperwork until you two have discussed living arrangements," honestly, it was somewhat of a relief that the pair hadn't reached that point yet. He wanted to make sure the relationship was one to last, which was the point of the meeting to begin with. Learning his son wasn't about to move in with a greenrider he spent a lot of time with relieved some tension in his shoulders but M'ris still wasn't sure R'dal and F'drel were on the same level of interest. Not that he had any idea where his son's feelings were at but R'dal adored everyone and some part of him worried that the boy was either leading F'drel on accidentally or was being taken advantage of because of his open and caring nature.

"F'drel, I would like a clear and honest answer to my next question. Are the two of you on the same page about your relationship? I really don't want to hear about a broken heart because someone wasn't as invested as the other." He tried to keep the wording open so that it seemed like the heartache could go either way, but his intent gaze on the greenrider implied R'dal's heart better never break.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - F'drel - 16.Apr.19

Right, alright then. F’drel tried to make sure he was still breathing — it would be really, really bad if he passed out from lack of air in the Weyrleader’s office, even if M’ris did think he was R’dal’s boyfriend (or whatever exactly he thought).

“I think that would be best, sir,” he managed to say, nodding stiffly in agreement that M’ris should very much not be starting paperwork just then. Or ever. Though maybe getting away from M’ris would lessen the chance of conversations like this one. They could likely live together well enough — F’drel imagined living with R’dal was much like living with Halomirth, just smaller and with hands. But that was hardly relevant, really. He and R’dal were not dating, were not weyrmated, and were not going to move in together.

“I, uh, I think we are,” F’drel said, momentarily surprised by M’ris’ question. They were on the same page, weren’t they? They were friends, and they didn’t really have common friend problems like fighting or whatever. He’d never gotten the impression R’dal was uncomfortable with their friendship, or would rather be dating or something. F’drel was the one of the two of them who was bad at having friends. There had been times F’drel had thought R'dal was putting in too much effort for too little return with him — but he had started being a little more proactive about doing things together, and F’drel no longer felt like he was just waiting for R’dal’s secret motive to be revealed. R’dal might be the only person he knew who didn’t have any. And F’drel really did appreciate that about him. It was likely the main reason their friendship hadn't crumbled by Turn’s End, honestly. But was there more R’dal wanted from their friendship? F’drel didn’t know. He hadn’t thought about it. His heart sank. He should have thought about it. This was why he was bad at having friends.

“It probably wouldn’t hurt to talk about it,” he admitted to M’ris, now worrying more than ever that he was a bad friend to R’dal. The bluerider put so much effort into being friends with F’drel, and F’drel wanted him to be happy.

(Also, M’ris looked rather like he would make sure the rest of F’drel’s life would be very, very uncomfortable if he and R’dal had a nasty falling out.)

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - M'ris - 16.Apr.19

"Good. Good," M'ris nodded at the assurance the relationship would be discussed. He felt like he did something good that day. He had no intentions of breaking the couple up--unless he found F'drel to be a rotten scoundrel that didn't deserve R'dal, of course--but he did want to ensure they were both equally committed to what they had. He could so easily see R'dal getting hurt for being too trusting just as he could easily see R'dal upset because he hurt someone and didn't mean to and would carry the guilt forever. A guiding hand was needed and M'ris was fine playing that role when it was needed.

"Well, then," M'ris pushed back his chair and got to his feet, a clear indicator that the meeting was over. "Since that matter has been dealt with, I'll let you get on with the rest of your day." He made a gesture indicating F'drel was free to go but then paused, holding up a finger in the classic 'wait a moment' pose.

"Oh, and you and Halomirth have been doing well and I'm happy to have you in my Weyr." He had just been thinking about doing more for his riders and while he wasn't able to give out extra marks or food with everything still being on rations, praise was free and easily given. "I've also been working on organising proper wings again and practices will be rough at the beginning. If you feel you or Halomirth are in need of a little extra shaping up before they begin, I can put together a list of some exercises." His smile was genuine as the 'chill Weyrleader' mode slipped back into place as he walked around the desk to escort F'drel to the door.

RE: 740.03.16 | Intentions - F'drel - 17.Apr.19

It was very difficult not to just stare at the Weyrleader. Was that it? No more pointed questions about his ‘relationship’ with R’dal? What the fuck. Though really, F’drel figured he should be grateful that he didn’t have to keep saying things while saying as little as possible and not directly lying. His answers to the questions weren’t exactly good, but apparently they were good enough for M’ris for the moment.

“Thank you, sir,” F’drel said in response to the unexpected praise, though he couldn’t think of any way he and Miri were doing ‘well’ that wasn’t just ‘functioning and not causing M’ris a ton of problems’ — perhaps that really was the standard the Weyrleader used. He tried very hard to stay beneath notice, and if it hadn’t been for unknowingly befriending the Weyrleader’s son he likely would have succeeded. “I don’t think exercise recommendations could hurt,” he added, getting up from the chair and heading towards the door. F’drel would probably be okay, he didn't actively work out though he stayed fairly fit, but Halomirth had always been a tad chubby and un-athletic. That happened when your favorite activity was cuddling. It didn’t bother her, or F’drel, but if they had to start regular wing practice she probably wouldn’t fair well. And F’drel didn’t want her to strain herself.

“Have a good day, Weyrleader,” he said politely as he left the office. The temptation to run back to his weyr and hide for a few days was very strong, but F’drel managed to resist, walking home at a reasonable, if brisk, pace.