World of Pern
Digging Out [Solo] - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Southern Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Old Katila (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=96)
+---- Forum: Personal Huts (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=108)
+---- Thread: Digging Out [Solo] (/showthread.php?tid=2115)

Digging Out [Solo] - N'del - 10.Dec.13

N’del! Wake up! Something bad is coming! The greenrider groaned as Emeryth’s fear and panic penetrated his sleeping and still wine addled mind. She wasn’t normally prone to panic at her age. They’d seen and been through enough that little truly upset him or his dragon. Yet fear radiated from his dragon as he woke up enough to register her frantic screams.

N’del sat up, sleeping his feet into his shoes. His gut twisted as he felt the earth shuddering beneath his feet, realizing the roar he heard was not thunder. He stumbled toward the doorway, mentally reaching out for his dragon. ”What is going on?” He never heard the response. Some struck his hut, a structure meant only to keep off the rain and keep out the wind. He struck the floor with a thud and startled grunt. His only thought was to get out as he tried to claw his way to the door. It was tantalizingly close when something struck the side of his head. He collapsed back to the floor as everything went dark.

He’d drunk far too much again, if his throbbing head was anything to go by. It was hard to turn away a glass of when during what was a celebration. Still he didn’t seem to recover as quickly as he use to. finally you’re awake! N’del winced as Emeryth’s joyful tone bounced inside his head. ”Please Em. My head hurts more than enough without you shouting.” Maybe a little more sleep would help.

You need to get up. I do not know how much longer your hut will last. N’del frowned, thoroughly confused.”What are you talking about. Here I thought I was the one who’d drunk too much last night.” He mumbled sleepily. Don’t you dare go back to sleep! Look around you. Does it look normal in there? He groaned again, opening his eyes enough to look around. He was laying on the floor, which was a little odd. It was also rather dark, what light there was showed his hut already partially collapsed and the rest in complete disarray. “Wh what happened?” He couldn’t remember! The last thing that came to mind was walking back to his hut, but after that there was nothing. Mud tried to eat the Weyr. Many have died, even the little ones. Emeryth’s voice was heartbroken. Losing any dragon was hard on the Weyr, but to loose so many of the young ones was even harder.

He had enough room to make it to where his door should have, though he had to crouch. Mud and debri filled the opening and spilled into the room. He’d need to dig out. “Emeryth you start digging on the other side, but be careful. I don’t think it will take much to collapse what is left.” He looked around, plucking a broken board from the debri. His stomach twisted and he wobbled in place, breathing deeply as he fought to stay upright. Are you sure you’re up to it? “Yes, now start digging love.” He struck his board into the mud, scraping away a clump. He could hear Emeryth gently scrapping away from her side. Hopefully they weren’t about to bring the rest of the hut down on top of him.

“I can see light! Go easy!” He wasn’t sure how long it had taken. An hour? Maybe more? Slowly the hole widened with each careful scrape. The hut groaned in protest. N’del had already heard sections giving way beneath the weight of the heavy wet mud. “Move back a bit, I’m going to try to squeeze out.” He tossed his board aside before crawling up the mound of mud. He ignored sharp bits of wood and rock that poked and grabbed at him, pushing his arms and head free. Emeryth dropped her muzzle for N’del to grab, slowly backing away until he popped free and tumbled to her feet.

You are a mess. She said, lovingly nuzzling her rider with her muddy snout. “Thanks, I missed you to. Now how about a lift to where ever everyone else is at.” N’del sagged against Emeryth's neck as she flew over the Weyr. So many lost. It was not the first time they had survived catastrophe. If they had proven themselves good at one thing it was starting over.