World of Pern
What Was That? You Cant Catch a Fire Lizard? [Solo] - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Southern Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Katila Outskirts (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+---- Forum: The Lake Edge (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Thread: What Was That? You Cant Catch a Fire Lizard? [Solo] (/showthread.php?tid=1401)

What Was That? You Cant Catch a Fire Lizard? [Solo] - I'shan - 21.Mar.13

The lake's surface was perfectly still in the summer sun...well, almost. A dark shape passed quietly under the glassy surface, lurking just a few feet below the threshold between water and air. A soft glow emanated from the murky water as Ilveriath's eyes opened and slowly appeared above the surface, snout resting atop it like that of a terran crocodile. The rest of the dragon's tapering body floated listlessly beneath him, his form entirely obscured save the top of his nose and eyes. He scanned the surrounding area quietly, cautiously.

I still see nothing he reported. He didn't expect he would. It had been hours now, and he was amazed that his bonded had managed to hold still so long, much less keep his small child in check. I'shan must have sensed the dragon's disbelief, for he was ready with a comeback almost as soon as the musing thought passed through Ilveriath's mind.

It's okay man, Ishadhe and I brought snacks I'shan assured him. Ilveriath marveled at it quietly, peering through his bonded's eyes at the makeshift camp they'd set up in the bushes. Well, 'camp' was perhaps being too generous; it was more a patch of sand surrounded by scraggly brushes on the very edge of the treeline. Two or three had been uprooted and pitched aside, creating a gap large enough for I'shan and his son to sit crosslegged in with their pick-nick basket. Ilveriath noted with some amusement that they were wearing some of the bushes' branches on their heads and shoulders, presumably as camouflage; Ishadhe's idea, no doubt. Well, at least he hoped so.

I'm glad you are comfortable Ilveriath said as he continued to sail through the water, eyes flashing towards the shore. He smiled inwardly at I'shan's giddiness. This was his first real expedition with his son, and what an odd choice he'd made! Though, Ishadhe had been awfuly excited...I'shan was loathe to say no, so off they went. Unfortunately, while those two huddled in their little fort, Ilveriath was left to make sure they actually succeeded at what they'd come for.

As he mulled over the situation, he thought he caught a flash of movement. The dragon sent a silent alert to I'shan and ducked under the water once more, creeping closer to the little flash of light as he waited for it to settle. When he slowly broke the surface again, he could see her: a tiny gold fire lizard, perching on a piece of driftwood by the shore. How lovely she was! Ilveriath watched her for several seconds as she hopped down into the sand and started nosing at it, making all the expected gestures of a breeding mother.

I found one the dragon announced, projecting an image to I'shan as the excited bluerider started explaining the plan to his son. For a moment, Ilveriath felt a pang of guilt for the mother whom he was about to rob of her young. When he felt I'shan's happiness, however, the dragon quickly surrendered.

In a surprising moment of attentiveness, I'shan reached out to him. Don't worry Ilv, wer aren't going to hurt them he reassured the dragon. Ilveriath paused. He already knew I'shan meant them no harm, but the consideration was rare coming from the often-scatterbrained bluerider who so often overlooked things he should not have. Ilveriath purred. I do love you so very much

"GOOD!" I'shan shouted as he burst obnoxiously from the bushes. "HEEEEEEEEEY FIRE LIZARDS!" He shouted, charing across the sand full-tilt, leaves trailing behind him as his 'camouflage' started to flutter away. Ishade followed, giggling uncontrollably, waving a branch in front of him as he ran. The loud pair startled the queen fire lizard, who screeched and took off into the air. I'shan laughed, pleased at the flawless sucess of his plan, and came to a careful stop beside the nest.

"Okay Ish! Let's find em and get out of here," I'shan said, pulling out a pouch he'd brought specifically for this task. He handed it to the boy and instructed him to fill it with hot sand before kneeling and delicately brushing the sand off of the nest itself, searching for the eggs.

This would be the fourth nest. Maybe FINALLY they'd find one with eggshells hard enough to take. He was in luck, too! Not only were the eggshells hard, but they were wobbling just slightly, undoubtedly close to hatching. "All right!" he exclaimed. There were only five eggs in total, all on the small side, but he didn't mind. They only needed one.

He reached to pick up the first egg, but he found himself suddenly blinded when a shrieking golden flash hit his face like a lightning strike. I'shan produced a most undignified shriek and rocked backwards off his heels, landing on his ass in the sands with an angry fire lizard queen attached to his forehead.

"Oh shards! Shards, it's on my face!" he screamed. An alarmed Ilveriath raised his head from the water, watching with uncertainty as his rider pawed at the little devil and Ishadhe giggled furiously at his father's expense. Forrnatly, Ishadhe seemed to have some presence of mind; he scooped three of the eggs into the bag and swiftly closed it, leaving the other two behind as his father tangled with the enraged mother. He'd managed to pry her off of his face, but now she was attached to his hand, wrapped around with all of her little claws and teeth sinking in as deep as they would go.

Isgadhe bounced to the lakeside and huddled by Ilveriath as I'shan's struggle continued. The bluerider dislodged the queen and fled the nest, sprinting down the beach as she dove and hissed at him. Ishadhe continued to laugh, and as concerned as he was, Ilveriath couldn't help but find it amusing himself. He and Ishadhe made their way along the bank to retrieve I'shan, who only managed to shake the angry queen after several dragonlengths. By the time dragon and son caught up, I'shan was panting.

"Fuck!" he grumbled as he collapsed in the sand. Beaten up by a fire lizard! 'Sorry, kid...We'll try again in a few minutes," the bluerider breathed.  Ishadhe just laughed more and bounded up to his dad, holding the pouch out in front of him. "It's okay, Daddy! I got them for you!" he piped.

I'shan frowned and delicately took the bag. He opened it, only to find with some delight that it held not one, but three eggs. "Oh, but Ishade...Remember, I said you can only have one until you are older!" he said. Ishadhe shrugged. "I want the little one," he said. "The others are for you, Daddy!"

I'shan's expression shifted into a wide grin. "Aww, you didn't have to do that, kiddo," he said, shifting the pouch to one arm and using the other to embrace the boy. Ishadhe laughed again. "Yes-huh! You get one for getting a present for me, and one for being the best dad ever!" he declared boldly.  I'shan laughed. "You really think that, kiddo?" he asked as he hoisted Ishadhe up in one arm and trudged towards Ilveriath.

"Yep!"

I do believe the decision has been taken from you, my dear

No kidding!

The trio departed in a good humor. I'shan's priority was getting the eggs into a warm fire place. He hoped it worked out as planned; Ishade seemed quite intent on bonding himself to the smallest egg, and I'shan only hoped that it would hatch. He needn't have worried, though. Ilveriath seemed confident in the health of the eggs though, and with that promise, I'shan took them home in confidence. Now, it was just a matter of waiting.