World of Pern
Death Sentence [Site Event] - Printable Version

+- World of Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Southern Pern (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Old Katila (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=96)
+---- Forum: Gather Square (https://pern.second-pass.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+---- Thread: Death Sentence [Site Event] (/showthread.php?tid=1121)

Death Sentence [Site Event] - S'kef - 05.Dec.12

It is a good day Tyrrisath said, deep voice smooth with pleasure and confidence. The dragon fanned his wings in the noon sun, eyes glistening in a rare shade of cheerful blue. Tyrrisath was either negative or neutral as a rule, but today the stout dragon felt that nothing could dampen his spirits.

He remained stoic in the presence of Nirinath, whose ‘queenly’ presence had never particularly impressed him. Tyrrisath much preferred the company of his green, who he quietly called out to as the crowd began to assemble. Rilaleeyth would be tickled for sure, invited to stand alongside the Queen while her mate showed her off! Tyrrisath rumbled warmly at the thought, just as much because it would humiliate Nirinath as anything else!
S’kef wore his best clothes, remembering well how D’ren was fiercely criticized for always dressing in his riding leathers. The brownrider didn’t own a wide variety of nice clothes, but his gather outfit was classy and serviceable without being too much. Of course, J’ver had insisted on tidying his mate’s appearance before their big day, but at least S’kef had gotten out of wearing neon green. 

S’kef crossed his arms, standing close enough to Tsuen to show that he was with her, but not close enough to immediately give away the reveal. He quickly scanned for J’ver, who would undoubtedly be slinking about close by. He was S’kef’s shadow, and such a useful one at that! S’kef knew that even if a greenrider wasn’t welcome up front, J’ver wouldn’t miss their special day for the world. 
The crowd was huge. People were clustering near the front even before S’kef arrived. He even spent the first few minutes clearing out a spot for Nirinath to land. The entire Weyr was paralyzed after the incident the night before. The damage done to the healer hall was painfully obvious in daylight, as was the morose bronze curled up beside it. S’kef sneered, remembering when his own Tyrrisath lay like that during his illness.

Everyone thought S ‘kef was going to die. Many of them actively wished for it. Shards, the looks on their faces now! It was delicious. S’kef felt like he could stand there all day, watching as the crowd slowly realized why the brownrider stood alongside Tsuen.

Most are here. The time has come Tyrrisath said.

S’kef nodded and lifted one hand, motioning for the crowd to be silent. His chest swelled with pride as he stepped forward, looking over them without fear. He’d once been a terror to these people. They were afraid of him, or at least they should be! Now, after the humiliation of his dismissal, the perfect opportunity had arisen to take back his rightful place…and more.

“It is with deep regret,” he said at length, eyes closing for a moment as if in reverence, ‘to announce that our Weyrleader D’ren is in critical condition. The healers tell us that he is suffering great internal damage due to poisoning, and even if he manages to survive, there is no guarantee that he will properly recover.”

“Weyrsecond N’gelt would normally assume the position of acting Weyrleader in the event of D’ren’s disability or death. However, N’gelt has cited personal reasons for his own resignation. Nn’gelt believes it more prudent to spend time with his mate, who has recently become an active parent.” Naw, how sweet. What a fool.

S’kef glanced towards J’ver, who he only located with help from Tyrrisath, and extended one arm to invite the greenrider forward. S’kef placed one arm modestly around him and smiled at the crowd, his modest display of affection intended to show his support for N’gelt’s decision. Yes, by all means, N’gelt….take your idiot bluerider and run away. Hide, you coward.

“Before his resignation, N’gelt appointed me as his successor. I assure you all that I will serve as acting Weyrleader with fairness and efficiency. I served as your Weyrsecond for two turns under D’ren. I know him well, and I consider him a dear friend.”

He released J’ver and took a step forward, his expression suddenly intensifying as he let his pure rage at the situation simmer to the top. His eyes darkened and he scowled. “And I swear,” he said. “That when I find the person who did this, I will throw them between myself!”

He waited for the crowd to quieted down before continuing. “Someone has tried to murder our leader. When I find out who that person is, the sentence is death. Help me discover the truth.”

He turned and walked away, moving to Tyrrisath and placing one hand on the dragon’s snout. He didn’t wait for questions and he didn’t care to see the reaction. He didn’t need to see it. This was his show now.

He had their reactions to look forward to for a long time to come. For now, there were problems to be dealt with. Tyrrisath flickered between, and the new Weyrleader disappeared with him.

J’ver powerplay with permission :o
This thread will be left open if anyone wishes to respond, but characters are equally welcome to gossip about it in other threads.

Please note that the transfer of Weyrleader from one of my characters to another is intended to better support the path the site has taken, NOT to try and screw any members out of holding ranking positions or for any other nefarious purposes!